Start by marking “Before I Forget” as Want to Read:
Before I Forget

Before I Forget

Abby's memories are her most precious thing.

Even though they're sometimes painful, she can't stop herself looking back, reliving the love of her life.

Until a freak accident means that she could lose it all: every memory and experience she has ever had.

Abby can't believe it's true. She feels fine. She is fine. How could she possibly forget all those moments that make her
Published July 9th 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2009)

Yara Essam
We always have to be careful when we make a wish. Abby Ryan was so pathetic about her boyfriend who broke up with her after quite a long relationship, and wished to forget him and everything she’d been through with him. As the book goes on, you learn how much she depended on him. Sadly, her wish had really happened; she was hit by falling debris when she was walking under a ladder on her way to work and has lost much of her long-term memory. Abby can't believe it's true. She feels fine. She eve ...more
Xanthia
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It made me cry. I love it!

Can you imagine waking up one day discovering that you have the possibility to lose big chunks of your memories; therefore, your life? and if you can hold on to just one memory, what would it be and what would you do if you can't hold unto it?

Abby just lost Keiran, a man who she gave all his whole heart to for 5 years.. yet, crushed it into pieces saying that they were never meant to be and six months after married another girl..

Finn is picking up the pieces of himself
jobeth
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jenna
Jul 07, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The entirety of this book irritated me, I think. The characters weren't really likeable, any of them really, and the main character spent most of her time whining, or being too miserable for me to even care about. I understand she was having a tough time, but it made me not care for her at all. The twist near the end also through me off, and confused me a little, and not in a good way, and really, I didn't think it was necessary.
Adeline Kam
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that takes me to 4 places - New York, Italy, Paris & Dublin. It's as though I was in the story as well....the shopping, food, atmosphere....just beautiful. And interesting characters - Abby, Finn, Caroline (the shopaholic and caring sister), Claire & Erin. Well, it was a good thing that Kieran dumped Abby, if not, things will not change for her. And the accident that knocked her out really changes everything.....especially her perspective of life. And not forgetting the beautiful ...more
Sylvia
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyed this one. Abby has a freak accident and is hit on the head. This caused brain damage and she is told she will not remember things soon. But how can this be true she feels fine! Abby starts to live again after being dumped by her boyfriend, who to be honest sounds a right idiot! She meets Finn in New York and again in Ireland. He tries along with her family to help her make new memories and to find different ways of keeping hold of them. Much easier in todays world of technology.
Sasya
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's so many stories about memory loss, but this one is very unique. Every plot twist is page turner. Especially the super romantic ending. This is (yet) the best Melissa Hill book I ever read (so far). Cannot wait to read her other books.
Julia Lazareva
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
it was just ok. the story is mostly predictable and i did not get into the author's style of writing, particularly the quite repetitive and cliché turns of phrases.
Naomi Mouland
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was brilliantly written, the characters engaging, and the story beautiful. Loved it and would highly recommended.
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby Ryan is quite happy with life, but all that changes when she’s hit by falling debris when she’s walking under a ladder on her way to work.

When she awakes, she finds out that her memory is damaged, and that she has lost much of her long-term memory. She’s devastated, but also slightly in denial. So Abby sets about creating some new, fantastic memories with the help of her family and close friends, ones that she hopes she will be able to hold onto despite her declining health.

On her amazing a
Vale (BooksAndTea58)
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. IS A SWEET, HEART-WARMING STORY ABOUT LOVE. IT TAUGHT ME THAT, EVEN IF WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH TONS OF PROBLEMS IN OUR LIFE, IF WE HAVE SOMEONE BY OUR SIDE WHO LOVES US, THE BATTLE IS WORTH THE FIGHT.

I started this book and I wasn't expecting much but, in the end, it turned out to be a really great book. Abby is the example that when someone has just broken your heart in a thousand little pieces, you need something EXTRAORDINARY to happen to you. Well, I am not sure if I would ca
Sveta
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Book is Ahhhhhhhhhhhhmazinngg..!!

I saw the book on Amazon and felt like it is a kinda book I should not miss and
while reading the book I Sometimes saw me on Abby.The way she fought and moved on in life gave me kinda..positivity and Smile on My Face.. Finn..Lucy..
All the characters are now so close to my Heart that I feel All of them live somewhere around me and even If I have completed the book.. I have a feeling that I will meet them tomorrow for sure.

The Best part is.. I donno If I am re
Lee
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
You know I love Melissa Hill mainly because you always feel good after you finish one of her books. This story was the same. Its starts off Abby is devastated because her long term boyfriend Kieran has dumped her. Her friend Erin tries to get her to go on holiday with her and another friend to Dubai for some girly time but Abby doesn't want to, she is too busy wallowing and now really late for work. As she is rushing out the door for work, she walks under a ladder and is hit on the head by a sla ...more
Ulya A.K
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-2011
Must be something in the air. This is the second story related to bucket list that i've come across this week. Hmm..

The story is about Abby, who was pretty devastated after she was dumped by her long-time boyfriend. She started absorbing herself in her work & avoiding family/friends. One day she had an accident, causing injury to the head specifically where the memory function is. At first, she tried to deny it but one day she played the piano without ever remembering learning it. It initia
Triduana
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
I got this from the library as I was after a quick read that I didn't have to think too much about. In this respect I wasn't disappointed: it was light-hearted and enjoyable enough and easy to follow.

I wasn't really fond of the main character though, I found her a little irritating and whiny. The story was a nice idea though, particularly the list Abby makes in order to try and preserve her memories, but I really thought the ending was a let down. (view spoiler)
melissa
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
After breaking up with her boyfriend, the main character suffers a head injury which causes her to lose bits of her memory. The rest of the book is about her trying to learn how to live with her new injury. I enjoyed this one, even if I found it predictable in parts. I saw the end coming, although I really wasn’t sure how we were going to get there. Some of the characters I found two dimensional, but I enjoyed her interactions with them none the less. I like the idea of her ‘bucket list’. I thin ...more
Menna
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed the book although the start was not as interesting as i had hoped.
appy has not been the easiest person to deal with in the past few years but with a family like hers anyperson no matter wat is he going through or wat is his personalty is(even if he is as horrible as kirean) will open up and be the most enjoyable person ever.
quick note she canm gain all the info that finn deleted by some programs found nowadays or at least lets just hope that kirean had a backup on his computer.
F
Ayu Ikhwani
Anyone other than me who thinks this book is like the more serious version of the movie "50 First Dates"?!

Still.. I liked the book. Its kinda scary thinking that though the brain is one of the major organs of a human being, a thick skull can't really prevent anything bad happening to it. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I knew I'd lose most of my short term memories and gradually, all my other memories..

*shudders*

Rachel
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, it was a little slow in areas but that didn't matter because the story needed it. The last 5 chapters I read all at once (I usually only do 1 or 2 at a time as I'm an incredibly slow reader) as I was desperate to find out how it was going to end.
I think if you have never experienced true heartbreak you may not get on with Abby but I liked her and related to her a little.
Overall thrilled with this book.
Kathy
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I really enjoyed the time spent with Finn and Abby

This is a story about true love. Abby has a lot to learn about an accident which causes her to not remember. She has to learn how to live her life without a relationship she had been in for several years. Then she meets Finn. The journey they travel is not easy. Unconditional love and respect is the path they choose
Anne Fadzil
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I wish to give this book a 3.8 actually. I gave 4 because of the story line..super love the story line. I think it's amazing that there's one surprise after another. Second half of the book makes it hard for me to put down the book but I'm a bit disappointed with the ending though. I somehow hope Melissa prolong the ending.
Adeem AlHassan
What I liked the most in this novel was the optimism in her, the strength to never give up! Even though doctors didn’t give her any hope! She ignored the negativity of life. She believed in herself. Hope, faith and belief that’s all we need to get through any hard time in life. Also it made me realize that (Every problem has a solution), That’s it.
Rob.C. Rob.C.
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Looooooved this book! Unusual plot but beautiful story, with an emotional and touching happy ending.
I love Finn. And he's Irish, as a bonus :)
And Abby is a super cute and totally relatable heroine.
I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to love this book so much and I'm glad I was wrong. I won't forget it :)
Helen
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happily ever after but it took so long

I"m sorry but when I read romance I want beautiful people, romance and a LITTLE drama. This book is about a young woman who suffers brain injury in a freak accident. She isn't particularly attractive and it takes several years for the story to play out. I just finished it and I think I turned 100!
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable! Unforgetable!

Easily one of the most gripping books I've read by Melissa Hill. I could barely put it down.

That being said, I was getting distinct feelings of deja-vu as I read this book, as I found there were quite a few similarities between Before I Forget and the film 50 First Dates.

Brilliant book, very glad I've read it
Marcia
Mar 06, 2012 added it
I order romance for my library. This author came to my attention and I got the book on ILL. She is not really published in the US. I can imagine myself finding it in a hostel in Ecuador or Nepal and because I have to read something always, I would read it. The storyline is a bit original, but the writing is so so.
BookAmbler
An interesting premise but probably a mistake to read it straight after a book full of beautifully written prose (The Secret Scripture). The contrast in language was huge, and highlighted this as very much a chick-lit offering.

However... it was easy to turn the pages and I did enjoy it overall.

Made me want to read Before I Go to Sleep , for comparison.
Sheena
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit

This is the only book by Melissa Hill I've been able to get my hands on and I truly can't wait to read more of her books! Shes a great writer and I only hope Us americans can get more of her great books over here!
Amelia
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Another one I didn't really want to finish, not for me.
I never got into the story, didn't much care for the characters, got confused at the end.
My fault, I skipped but even though I went back a little it just didn't grab me.
Jocelyn
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and unforgettable love story.

A light and easy read that offered some unexpected surprises. Delightful and enchanting. Perfect read for the holidays. Hill is a wonderful storyteller.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Very Accidental Love Story
  • Hidden
  • Living la Vida Loca
  • The Angel at No. 33
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Confetti Confidential (Isabel Bookbinder #3)
  • Gypsy
  • The Gap Year For Grown Ups
International #1 bestselling author Melissa Hill lives in Dublin.

Her page-turning, contemporary novels are published worldwide and translated into 25 different languages.
Her titles are regular chart-toppers in Ireland and internationally.
A GIFT TO REMEMBER will be released as a Hallmark Christmas movie in 2017 and another of her novels is in development with a major Hollywood studio.

Melissa Hill
“Ah, weddings can be very emotional sometimes, can't they? Yes, especially when it's the wedding of the love of your life to somebody else.” 0 likes
“Some of the best experiences are the most unexpected ones.” 0 likes