Start by marking “Spot Goes to the Beach (color)” as Want to Read:
Spot Goes to the Beach (color)

Spot Goes to the Beach (Spot the Dog)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The bestselling puppy is better than ever. Spot's 25th birthday presents are bold, beautiful color covers that give him a great new look. Enjoy Spot in paperback with full-color covers and traditional Lift-the-Flap features. Have more fun with Spot!

Published May 12th 2003 by Warne (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Spot Goes to the Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spot Goes to the Beach

One way to sum up Eric Hill Spot books? Basic! And in Kindy this is something that works well...It's simple, colours are bright, Spot goes on an adventure...Pretty much these books work to a simple pattern.

This one is where Spot and family go to the Beach. I've always found it a bit strange with the either the Mum or Dad being called Sam (not due to the name) but I think it's the father where they refer to him as Sam instead of Dad...I would of thought they'd be wanting to use Dad...Maybe they d
Scooter
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Last night I had another date with this book and my 22 month old son. Once again he was riveted, puppies, balls, bright colours and lifting flaps that reveal more things of interest when lifted. It's pretty much everything the little man is after.
Now don't get me wrong, I really do love reading books with my son and I hope he appreciates books as much as I do. But I've found that this book really lost it's dynamic after the first 40 times we read it and further subsequent readings have not impr
Simon
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a huge favourite of mine. I wanted to get a dog after reading it. I used to have ALL of these books and I read them a lot because I liked the pictures. When it became an animated thing, I lved it so much! I had the VHSs and watched them everyday. I don't know when I stopped or when I grew up from it, but this series has completely escaped my memory until just recently when I read the book: "1001 Children's Books you must read before you grow up".

I am glad to have had this in my li
K.C.
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Hill, Eric. (2003). Spot goes to the beach. New York: Puffin Books.

Categories: engineered book, pop-up book, participation books, picture storybook

Spot the dog spends the day at the beach with his parents. Flaps to open are included on each page and add a little humor to the story.

Themes: beach, dogs

Classroom uses: read-aloud for Pre-K and K, introduction to summer, discussion of beach activities, could be used as writing prompt for 1st graders

Lisa
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I don't love the Spot books so much. I find the text really boring to read, and I'm not that impressed by the illustrations, but my daughter loves all of the Spot books and reads them daily. Perhaps it's the lift-the-flap aspect? Anyway, she enjoys this story of Spot's trip to the beach, especially the part where Spot gets into a tug-of-war with a hippo with a towel.
Siobhan
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A wonderful read from my childhood, one I’d certainly suggest for other youngsters. Whilst it is not my all-time favourite childhood read I can still recall all the details of this one meaning it certainly left a lasting impression upon my young mind.

And isn’t that what we want with children’s books, for them to leave a positive lasting impression?
Andrea
This book is about Spot going to the beach. It is an easy read book that is easy to read... and for that I give it 3 stars. (Easy read books that aren't really easy make me a little crazy.) It is not terribly original but the lift-the-flaps gave me a little giggle.
jacky
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: older babies - K
We got these out of the library for Natalie because they have flaps. She doesn't seem to like them as much as Open the Barn Door, but it maybe because we haven't sat and read them the same and that the flaps are different.
Theresa
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
riveting
Kate
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun and interactive kids book
Rachel
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yet another fun, lift-a-flap Spot book. This is one of Jacob's favorite books! He especially loves the "puppy overboard" page...
Alisha Brook
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love the "Spot" books - they were my favourite childhood books
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jp-2014, jp-st-beach
Might be hard to do in ST, because of FLAPS.
Sara
July 2012
Lola Nicola
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
so cute!!
Modboy
Eric Hill's writing is very simple. My son really enjoys lifting the flaps to discover what happens in the story. Recommended for ages 1-3.
Kim
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Who Is Driving?
  • Camping Day!
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Waking Dragons
  • Maisy Goes on Vacation: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • The Cheerios Play Book
  • Symphony City
  • Scooby-Doo! and the Headless Horseman
  • The Spooky Wheels on the Bus
  • Star Wars: What Is A Wookiee? (DK Readers)
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Acorns Everywhere!
  • Wee Little Chick
  • Baby Faces (Look Baby! Books)
  • The Earth and I
  • The Seashore Book
  • A Penguin Pup for Pinkerton
  • Who Hops?
Eric Gordon Hill OBE was a popular author and illustrator of children's picture books, best known for his character Spot the Dog. His works have been widely praised for their contributions to child literacy. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.
More about Eric Hill...

Spot the Dog (1 - 10 of 159 books)
  • Where's Spot?
  • Spot Goes to School (color)
  • Spot Goes On Holiday
  • Spot Visits His Grandparents
  • Spot Goes to the Farm
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • Spot's Birthday Party
  • Good Night, Spot Good Night, Spot
  • Spot Loves His Mum
  • Spot Goes to the Park (color)