Start by marking “Intent: In the Shadows (Christian Small Town Secrets Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Intent: In the Shadows (Christian Small Town Secrets Series, #1)

Intent: In the Shadows

(Small Town Secrets #1)

It's hard to enjoy high school when someone is stalking you. . .

Raylee, a pastor's daughter, just wants to get through the last two years of high school. But it's not easy when you're an outsider. Or when the most popular girl in school's goal is to make your life miserable.

Or when someone starts to stalk you. . .

When classmate Paul befriends Raylee, she is determined to i
Published September 2020

To ask other readers questions about Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intent

Start your review of Intent: In the Shadows (Christian Small Town Secrets Series, #1)
Jodie (Geauxgetlit)
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book brought back many high school memories for me. It’s set in the 90’s and I graduated high school in the 90’s so most of the pop culture back then they spoke of was a blast from the past for me!

Raylee is the protagonist and has been a victim of bullying by Crystal, the most popular girl in school, think Mean Girls!! However, things have escalated and now someone is planting masks at several places that are creepy and they are intentionally trying to scare her. She also feels a strange pr
Cristina
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Review with spoilers - I haven't read the other books in the series)

Great book. I loved it.

Raylee seemed very realistic to me. Her doubts, her fears, her feelings. I didn't want to read what she had gone through, teasing and bullying. I suffered along her. Nobody deserves it.

I liked that Raylee was able to face Crystal. And I liked that Crystal apologized for what she did.

I liked Donald, until he was a jerk. I wanted them together.

I received an ARC from the author.
Glenda Parker
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review today is on the story, Intent: The Beginning. This book was sent to me to read. The words of this review are my own. This is a well written story of coming of age. The author did a great job capturing the horrors of high school. I would never want to go back to those horrible days. I'm sure you are going to enjoy this teen's journey through all the pitfalls.

Raylee Johnston is forced by her parents to go to the school she doesn't want to attend. Her parents are pastors and met at that s
Leslie
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Intent: In the Shadows by Krista Wagner is a great Christian Suspense novel for the YA audience. I am always looking for Christian YA books to recommend to friends and family. And I would recommend this book to them! I loved that the book did not shy away struggles and insecurities that young people face. The book centers around Raylee who is being tormented by a girl named Crystal and her friend Gina wherever she goes. Raylee is a pastor's daughter who depends on and struggles with her Faith as ...more
Caroline Price
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Intent: In the Shadows by Krista Wagner, it's the first novel in her Small Town Secrets series. Intent is a well written psychological suspense novel which blends the problems faced by high school students...bullying, cliques, growing up, with the more serious adult problem of dealing with an unidentified stalker. Raylee is a pastor's daughter and all she wants is to get through the last two years of high school without problems. Sadly, the most popular girl in the school ha ...more
Jessica Belmont
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Intent: In the Shadows by Krista Wagner is the first novel in the Small Town Swcreta series. It is a well written, YA suspense/thriller. Themes of bullying, cliques, and growing up – typical high school problems, are mixed in with a scary stalking situation.

Raylee is an interesting main character. She’s a pastor’s daughter with a strong faith. She’s ready to get through her last two years of high school, but is faced with bullying. I think this part is relatable. Unfortunately, the issue of bull
T.J. Wagner
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The prequel to Intent by Krista Wagner, is an in depth look at the high school events which set the stage for Intent. It gives important details and character clues as to why Raylee is wary of her old tormentor and gives a wholistic look at Raylee’s school life and attitude. An excellent read and fantastically written novel again by Krista Wagner. No unneeded sex nudity or otherwise!!!
Connie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Krista has captured the essence of what it’s like for a lot of people when they’re in high school. If you were in high school 30 years ago, or you’re in high school now, you will appreciate the twists and turns in the book as you cheer for Raylee to be victorious over her tormentors.
Linda
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this young adult story. Part 1 of the series has it all, teenage problems, boy troubles, bullying. a heart gripping story that had me crying and pulling for Raylee. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I received this book for free and this is my honest review.
Randy Tramp
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Silver Canyon, high school student Raylee is frequently plagued by Crystal, the high school's queen bee, and her clique. Deception, mind games, and danger. Faith tested. Secrets revealed.

I loved this series. Every scene moved to the next with interest. Raylee believed the Bible to be a love letter written to her. When a note is found in her locker, the threat is taken to God in prayer. Scripture sprinkled throughout the story without coming across as preaching.

An encouraging read, with imperf
Bettyboop
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title and cover pic grab my interest in wanting to read a book, I don’t like to know the story, and I was not expecting a high school story filled with teenage angst.
Not my kind of story, but I was drawn to Raylee and her life at school, unbelievable. It was a page turner, looking for all the wrongs to be made right. Must read to understand. Raylee is still with me, will be reading next in this series.

Deb
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good story. I read an unedited ARC so my review is based on that. I liked the story. It has promise. It did end in a cliffhanger but it did not affect the story. I was engaged by the ending although the beginning was a bit slow. I believe the next book will add more depth which will add to the story.
Thieving Magpie
Dec 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Well, a good thing I can say about this book: At least it did no fat shaming. It did, however something else, which - in a world where being fat is apparently the worst thing to be - I absolutely cannot understand: It did skinnyshaming. While skinny shaming isn't as prominent as fatshaming, that does not make it any worse. Stop bringing people's weight into this. It's absolutely disgusting and how come we are STILL doing shit like that in 2020? Don't, seriously. Matter of fact, this was the main ...more
anatticfullofpaper
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
A fun and lighthearted story lacking any real suspense. This was a quick read after a period of enjoying literary classics so it was good as a break from heavy prose. I liked the references to Russian literature and some of the descriptions. A few inconsistencies bothered me + some of the ways the characters behaved, but all in all, it would be good for very young teenagers who want something clean with a faith focus. Wagner definitely has some clear messages to deliver about respecting your par ...more
Starfighter
Dec 30, 2018
Gloria
Feb 02, 2021
Krista Wagner
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mary Longo
Kaye
added it
Feb 24, 2021

• How to Solve a Murder: True Stories from a Life in Forensic Medicine
  • Shadow Dance: What Really Happened The Night She Died?
  • It Began With a Lie (Secrets Of Redemption, #1)
  • Striking It Rich
  • Signed (Bear Mail, #1)
  • The Billionaire Werewolf (Werewolves of St. Neuri Book 3)
  • Of Magpies and Men
  • Newcomer (Elmwick Academy, #1)
  • Death of a Wicked Witch (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #13)
  • Aurora
  • Elementary Magic (Relic Hunter)
  • A Christmas Wish (Dot Com Wolves 3)
  • Missing : Book 1 of The Three live of Aila Douglas : A Gripping Thriller that will keep you guessing until the last page (The Three Lives of Aila Douglas)
  • Tiger Mate (Silverlake Shifters, #3)
  • Southern Gentleman (Charleston Heat, #3)
  • Memories Lost: A Thrilling Romantic Suspense (Disarray Series, #1)
  • Not One of Us
  • The Ghostly Grounds: Murder and Breakfast (Canine Casper Cozy Mystery #1)
Krista Wagner is a 70's product who lives in Southern California with her supportive Marine Corp veteran husband, three entertaining and very bright children, a suitcase of stories begging to be finished, and an indispensable faith in Christ. She has been creating stories since she was seven and is best known for her mystery and suspense novels. Back in the 90's, she was on her high school literar ...more

Small Town Secrets (6 books)
  • Intent: Deadly Secrets (Christian Small Town Secrets Series, #2)
  • Intent: Return of Evil (Christian Small Town Secrets Series, #3)
  • Intent: What No One Knew (Christian Small Town Secrets Series, #4)
  • Intent: In A Coma (Christian Small Town Secrets Series, #5)
  • Christian Small Town Secrets Series: Books 1-5