Start by marking “The Coral Bride (Detective Morales, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Coral Bride (Detective Morales, #2)

The Coral Bride

(Enquêteur Moralès #2)

In this beautiful, lyrical sequel to the critically acclaimed We Were the Salt of the Sea, Detective Moralès finds that a seemingly straightforward search for a missing fisherwoman off Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula is anything but …

When an abandoned lobster trawler is found adrift off the coast of Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula, DS Joaquin Moralès begins a straightforward search for
Published August 12th 2020 by Orenda Books

To ask other readers questions about The Coral Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coral Bride

Start your review of The Coral Bride (Detective Morales, #2)
Thebooktrail
description

Visit the locations in the novel

This isn't just a novel, it's a song. An ode to the sea and the fishing community. You will feel as if you're at the heart of this fascinating community and its dark side...

Full review to come but it's worth saying that you should treat yourself. A good plot, great characters and a setting that steals the show. It's very unique how everyone is connected, how life works here, how people behave in these rural communities.

Great translation too -a lyrical and mesmeris
Rachel Hall
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written and atmospheric police procedural that is centred around the sea and has a truly unique style.

This is the second book of Roxanne Bouchard’s to feature Mexican DS Joaquin Moralès, a recent arrival from policing in Montreal to join the Sûreté du Québec and policing in the tight-knit fishing communities that surround the area of the Gaspé Peninsula. Not having read the first book did nothing to hinder my enjoyment with the requisite parts of the backstory covered and as DS Moral
Tripfiction
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crime thriller set on the GASPE PENINSULA, QUEBEC

The Coral Bride is Roxanne Bouchard’s second crime thriller set on the Gaspé Peninsula at the mouth of the Saint Lawrence river. I had read, and much enjoyed, the first – We Were the Salt of the Sea – and was really looking forward to the second. I was in no way disappointed.

The book is a very well thought through and well-constructed story of murder. A young female fishing boat captain is found floating in the ocean. She had taken her boat out in
Cathy
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
The Coral Bride is set among the same close-knit fishing communities of Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula as her first book featuring Detective Sergeant Joaquin Moralès, We Were the Salt of the Sea, a book I very much enjoyed. The events in The Coral Bride take place over the space of a few weeks at the end of the fishing season when the shrimp and lobster trawlers are brought ashore for the winter.

If you’ll pardon the pun, Moralès remains rather a fish out of water. He still feels like something of an o
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: November 7th 2020

"The dead leave everything behind them. Especially the living."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Rajiv
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

The first aspect that stood out was the setting. I liked the story’s theme as it felt unique—a murder set in the backdrop of a wharf amidst the fisherman. Neither the husband nor the father knows what happened to Angel. The story is atmospheric and slowly creeps on you.

Similarly, Joaquin is a captivating character trying to solve Angel’s murder. He is going through his struggles of managing Sebastian, coping with Cyrille, reporti
Jessica
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Detective Morales has been assigned to the case of a missing fisherwoman who has vanished off of Quebec’s Gaspe Peninsula. What appears to be a straightforward case turns out to be anything but the reality. When Angel Roberts’ lobster trawler is found adrift she is nowhere to be found. In a male-dominated profession, it appears that Angel may have intimidated some of her fellow fishermen. In this small town, there are few secrets between the residents and old family tensions also lend a hint to ...more
Gail Haigh
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Orenda for my copy of The Coral Bride, for review via our Book and Brew book club.

The second in the Detective Morales series, I was a little bit concerned, having not read the first in the series, that I would be missing some context, but those concerns were unfounded. The Coral Bride was a very engaging and easy read - I raced through it and looked forward to getting back to the story to see how it would play out. The writing was atmospheric, and the author’s love of the sea was ev
Claire O'Sullivan
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
Read with Book and Brew
An enjoyable read - interesting setting and characters . A great sense of place and drama.
David Harris
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm grateful to Orenda Books for providing me a free copy of The Coral Bride to consider for review and for inviting me to take part in the book's blogtour.

The Coral Bride takes us to a part of the world I was completely unaware of, the Gaspé Peninsula in Quebec, on Canada's eastern coast. It picks up the story of Detective Sergeant Joaquin Moralès from We Were the Salt of the Sea (which I hadn't read, shame on me: now I will) as he investigates the suspicious death of Angel Roberts on her lobst
Alfred Nobile
Review to follow
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
The Coral Bride by Roxanne Bouchard was published yesterday, November 12th, with Orenda Books. It is the second book in this series featuring Detective Joaquin Moralès from the author who has been dubbed the ‘Queen of Quebec Suspense.’ It is described as a book that is ‘exquisitely written, with Bouchard’s trademark lyrical prose…evokes the power of the sea on the communities who depend on it, the never-ending struggle between the generations, and an extraordinary mystery at the heart of both' E ...more
Jen
For a story that is, essentially, a tale of a missing person and murder, there is somewhat of a serene quality to The Coral Bride. From the very opening chapter in which the scene is very clearly set for readers, through to the tense and emotional finale, Roxanne Bouchard once again immerses us in the beautifully evocative world of Detective Moralès and the people of the Gaspé Peninsula.

Moralès is called to Pérce to investigate the disappearance of a young Fisherwoman, Angel Roberts. Her boat i
Beverley
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020

Hello, Roxanne Bouchard superfan reporting for duty. 🙋🏻‍♀️

Back in 2018 I read the beautiful and mesmerising We Were The Salt of the Sea and absolutely flipping loved it. When I heard that she had a new book, The Coral Bride coming out I had that excitement mixed with apprehension that us readers get when there’s a new book by an author we love. I needn’t have worried though as The Coral Bride is every bit as brilliant as We Were The Salt of the Sea.

The Coral
Paterson  Loarn
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Roxanne Bouchard writes like a poet who has known back-breaking manual labour. Reeling in lobster nets was how she researched her critically acclaimed first novel, We Were The Salt of the Sea, which is currently top of my to-be-read list. David Warriner’s superb translation enhances the lyrical language of The Coral Bride. Sentences like ‘The sea is a liar and all men are traitors!’ can make a susceptible reader’s heart beat faster.

When an abandoned lobster trawler is found adrift off the coast
Karen Cole
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Coral Bride is the sequel to We Were The Salt of the Sea and while it's not necessary to have read that first, I would encourage you to do so in order to fully appreciate this beautifully crafted series.
The Coral Bride is a murder mystery and it opens with the murder of Angel Roberts; her death is described with the lyricism that imbues this whole book - which somehow serves to make it even more chilling. However, this is a multi-layered story and although the search for the truth about Ang
Susan Corcoran
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anyone that reads my reviews on a regular basis, will know that I am a massive fan of any novel published by Orenda Books! They bring us consistently superb quality fiction all the time. This book once again reinforces their reputation as a Indie publisher, that deserves to sit at the same table as the bigger publishing houses.

The Coral Bride by Roxanne Bouchard is utterly mesmerizing, full of lyrical prose that catches the imagination in its embrace and transports you Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula,
Jacob Collins
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was a huge fan of Roxanne Bouchard’s We Were the Salt of the Sea, which I read a couple of years ago now, and I couldn’t wait to see what she would come up with next. Her latest novel, The Coral Bride, is once again exquisitely written and the writing brings to life the coast of Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula. This is a writer with such a huge talent.

The Coral Bride is a book which focuses a lot on character. Detective Joaquin Morales is investigating the disappearance of a young woman, Angel Rober
Mandie
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
After falling in love with Roxanne Bouchard’s first book We Were the Salt of the Sea, I was thrilled when I found out about The Coral Bride and eagerly awaited its publication. Having devoured the book in 2 days I can honestly say it was worth the wait.
The book opens with the murder of Angel Roberts, the owner and captain of a fishing trawler. This opening sequence sets the tone of what the reader can expect going forward and the writing seems to match the flow of the sea that is the setting fo
Anne
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read and reviewed the first in this series; We Are The Salt Of The Sea a couple of years ago. That haunting, lyrical story with touches of real wit has stayed with me ever since. It's been a joy to re-visit Bouchard's characters, and her intoxicating landscape in The Coral Bride.

The reader is taken to the Gaspe peninsular, in Quebec, Canada and DS Joaquin Morales is in charge of the investigation into the disappearance of Angel Roberts.
Angel Roberts was a fisherwoman, and despite the advances
Leigh
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
'The Coral Bride' is the sequel to 'We Were the Salt of the Sea', (which I hadn't realised) and like with many series books it certainly works well as a standalone. I'm definitely buying the first book to see what I missed and to find out more about the backstory of our central character: DS Joaquin Moralès. This book has all the elements of a good crime novel, and a carefully planned plot with a skillful drip feed of clues. However, it soon became clear that this was not only a crime read, but ...more
The Literary Shed
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We’ve great fans of Karen Sullivan’s Orenda list, partly because of the inclusion of so many very fine books published in translation.We first came across the writing of acclaimed French-Canadian author Roxanne Bouchard in 2018, when Orenda published the lyrical We Were the Salt of the Sea in English. We adored it. It’s a beautiful piece of writing and a wonderful evocation of the sea. The Coral Bride, published this month, is a worthy follow-up.

Set on Quebec’s Gaspé Peninsula, where the sea is
Lynsey
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is just a beautifully written crime fiction novel. It’s this genre at its best. The prose was lyrical, the characters intriguing and the narrative haunting. I actually can’t spot thinking about this excellent novel. This is the second of the series to be translated into English and published by Orenda books, but you can definitely read it as a stand-alone. I will be reading the first one though as this one was just fabulous, plus I want to know the story about Catherine!

The book opens with
Cheryl M-M
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moralès is surprised when his son turns up in a rather dishevelled state, something which confuses and annoys him when he is also asked to look into the case of a missing woman. He is confronted with colleagues who treat him with contempt, and a community who keep their secrets close.

I can't remember if I caught this particular aspect of the sea and the world of those working it in We Were the Salt of the Sea, which is the first in the Detective Moralès series. The patriarchal hold that man has
Ruth Matheson
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series however it reads very well as a standalone novel. Set around a fishing community in French Canada, the author is very descriptive not only of the surrounding land but also of the sea, its tides and currents, its pull for certain people, fisher folk and the relationship within the universe. There has been the death of a local fisher woman Angel, however it is not clear whether it is suicide or murder. Inspector Morales is sent to find out but as in many small ...more
Amanda
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there was one thing I took away from this novel it was the beauty of the Canadian landscape, the vastness of the sea and its undercurrents that spelt danger for those that didn’t understand its ways.

I’m going to emphasise the word ‘undercurrent’, the pervading theme that navigated its way through The Coral Bride. It was an undercurrent of past feuds, of a strained relationship between father and son both wanting to voice their fears and build bridges.

Those undercurrents may have led to a crim
Alice
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Coral Bride has a crime at its heart, but the story is more of a deep dive into the relationships between the different characters. These include the relationship between DS Joaquin Moralès and his adult son, Sebastien, who is at a turning point in his life, their dying relationships with their partners, and the new connections they make at the Gaspé Peninsula.

We also learn about the relationships the dead captain, Angel Roberts, had with the people in her life, and the interplay between her
Pam Robertson
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roxanne Bouchard's novel has a distinct tone. At times, the imagery and writing style have a lyrical quality and the sea itself is never far from the page. The mystery of Angel Roberts' disappearance seems to unroll at a slow pace which mirrors the blocks that seem to typify the lives of both Moralès and his son. Communication seems to be impossible at times and there is a real frustration in the missed phone calls which they seem to ignore and the secrets they have about their marriages. Moral ...more
Lynda
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbc-arc
2nd in the Detective Morales series. I hadn’t read the first in the series and so had no preconceived ideas about this. It is a beautifully written book and evokes wonderful images of the setting for this story, the Gaspe Peninsula in Canada.

The female captain of a lobster trawler is missing and Morales is sent, against his wishes, to investigate. When her body is found the question isis this a suicide or a murder?

Alongside the murder Morales personal life and that of his son, who turns up to
LianaReads blog
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is just amazingly done. I haven't read the first book in the series but now i really want to do it, because i need to read more about the main character and how everything started.
This story is much more than a usual mystery crime book, it has much more deep and there are so many paragraphs that i have highlighted because i'm a big fan of crime stories but haven't found any that kept me so invested like this one.
The mix of characters with the magical spell the sea has over any

• Faire les sucres
  • Em
  • Kukum
  • Les falaises
  • Le lièvre d'Amérique
  • La bouche pleine
  • Betrayal
  • Pleurer au fond des mascottes
  • Là où je me terre
  • Deity (Six Stories #5)
  • Anges Dechus (Varg Veum, #8)
  • Burgundy
  • Winterkill (Dark Iceland #6)
  • Ta mort à moi
  • Dei sju dørene
  • Shuni
  • There's Only One Danny Garvey
  • À train perdu
Roxanne Bouchard enseigne la littérature au Cégep de Joliette.

Enquêteur Moralès (3 books)
  • We Were the Salt of the Sea
  • Le murmure des hakapiks (Les enquêtes de Joaquin Moralès, #3)

News & Interviews