Jump to ratings and reviews

The Lost Village

1945, Italy. Two sisters give birth to two little girls on the same night, huddled under blankets, deep in the black woods that surround the village of Bosconero. They hold their babies close as footsteps approach. If they make even the slightest sound, the German soldiers will find them…

1996. Luce Nardini searches the cobbled streets of a remote Italian village for a house with a faded blue door. Since her only child left home, and with her estranged husband more distant than ever, she’s been completely untethered. Discovering why her mother cut all contact with her family and the village she loved feels like Luce’s last hope at understanding who she is.

Inside the house, she’s relieved to find the grandmother she never knew living out her final days. With a longing look at an ornate wooden box on her nightstand, her grandmother is just beginning to tell the heart-wrenching story of a little village ravaged by war, and why Luce’s mother swore never to return, when then the unthinkable happens: an earth-shattering disaster that shakes the little village of Bosconero to its core.

Feeling more lost than ever before, Luce fears that the secrets of her past have been buried forever. Her only hope is to win back the trust of the small community and find her grandmother’s little wooden box amongst the rubble of the village.

But will the surprise arrival of the husband she thought she’d lost help sew Luce’s family back together, or tear it apart for good? And will anything have prepared her for the devastating betrayal she finds hidden inside the box…?

An unputdownable historical novel about the secrets we keep to protect the ones we love by the author of million-copy Amazon No 1. bestseller, Watch Over Me. Perfect for anyone who loves Fiona Valpy, Lily Graham or The Letter by Kathryn Hughes.

Everyone is talking about The Lost Village:

‘WOW! Could not put it down once I started… Highly recommend.’ Goodreads reviewer, 5 stars

‘All I can say is wow, to the twists and turns I never expected’ Merrick Library, 5 stars

‘A fantastic read, which I devoured… this is a book you are not going to be able to put down.’ The Book Blog, 5 stars

‘A beautiful and emotional read about family secrets and lies. Really well written with some wonderful characters and descriptions. I was shocked by the ending. I will remember this story for a long time.’ NetGalley reviewer

‘Gripping… Couldn’t stop reading till I found out the truth… So many surprises! Will keep you glued to the pages all the way.’ Goodreads reviewer, 5 stars

‘Holding my breath through chaos and tragedy… Family secrets, twist and turns and a sea of emotions. Wow, what a ride!’ Goodreads reviewer, 5 stars

‘Utterly beautiful and poignant… totally captivating from beginning to end. I really can't praise this book enough.’ Goodreads reviewer, 5 stars

‘Beautifully written… Well researched and gripping. I was in love with this book from the first page.’ NetGalley Reviewer

‘Mesmerising! I was totally hooked… absolutely perfect and just flowed endlessly with such ease. I really can't praise this OUTSTANDING book enough!’ Goodreads reviewer, 5 stars

Kindle Edition

Published November 16, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Daniela Sacerdoti

25 books338 followers
Daniela Sacerdoti is a mother and a writer. Born in Naples, but brought up in a small village in the Italian Alps, she lives near Glasgow with her husband and sons. She steals time to write when everyone has gone to bed, or before they wake up. She’s a Primary teacher, but she chose to be at home with her children. She loves being with her boys, reading anything she can get her hands on and chatting with her girlfriends. But she also adores being on her own, free to daydream and make up stories.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
13 (1%)
1 star
4 (<1%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.