Start by marking “The Maltese Angel” as Want to Read:
The Maltese Angel

The Maltese Angel

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  276 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Ward Gibson knew what was expected of him by the village folk, and especially by the Mason family, whose daughter Daisy he had known all his life. But then, in a single week, his whole world had been turned upside down by a dancer, Stephanie McQueen, who seemed to float across the stage of the Empire Music Hall where she was appearing as The Maltese Angel. To his amazement ...more
Published October 6th 1993 by Corgi (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Maltese Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maltese Angel

This book covers the period 18886 to 1921, describing the Gibson’s family saga.

The plot describes the lives of three generations by showing how people lived by the end of 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century with a special emphasis on World War I.

“The Maltese Angel”, who gives the tittle to this book, is a young dancer by who the farmer Ward Gibson fall in love, even if he had promised to marry a young woman from outside the village - Daisy Mason.

Even if the author makes use of a l
Bettie☯
Barbra
Jul 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Back Cover Blurb:
The year is 1886, and Ward Gibson is a prosperous young farmer who becomes fascinated by Stephanie McQueen, a dancer. His marriage to her divides his home village, as he was expected to marry a local girl, and there follows a series of attacks on his farm, culminating in Stephanie's murder.
Emma
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
A great book by Catherine Cookson, another page turner.
Hannah Ruthie
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, saga, family
This was the first time I picked up a Catherine Cookson and had expected a slow sloppy novel, presumably from some half-forgotten conversation. I was really pleasantly surprised to discover that I enjoy these cross-generational sagas, which consider all aspects of love and relationship - from obsession and desire to hate.

The book follows a man who, against local village mentality, falls obsessively in love with an out-of-down dancer. In doing so he casts off the attentions of a local girl, beli
Redfox5
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would never have picked this book up in a book shop. I'm one of those shallow judge by the cover types when it comes to buying a book. However if I'm given books, I will read them. Most of the time I'm glad of this. This, was a glad time. I loved the Maltese Angel. A real page turner, well up until the rape scene. Then the book started slideing somewhat but not enough for it to be awful. Just wasn't as good as the first half. How pathetic for a village to hold a grudge for Ward just becuase he ...more
NorikoY
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I understand Ward and Gerald are both good men, but some misfortunes, turning wrong corners, they ended in such a way, and if things were different, they would have been very respectable men. This book makes me think of how decision makings are important, and your life can easily turned upside down.
Upon the whole, the story was very interesting to me. I don’t think its conclusion was very good, but that’s also life too. So, I like this story.
Lili
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Dpic
Feb 05, 2014 added it
ok
Partridge Public
Cookson, Catherine
Joan
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the the book though it got a bit predictable towards the end.
Pauline
I own this book.
Marie
Jul 15, 2016 added it
I've read it years ago and again now. It was okay.
Roscella Beck
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was not a happy book. It was a long saga and so many bad things happened I felt sadness all through the book. I read it all as it was well written - but like I said it was not a happy book.
Loren.C
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice plot though a bit confusing.
Doris Ennis
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I have read many of Catherine Cookson's books and enjoy them for the picture of England and society so many years ago. They are an easy read, different and enlightening.
Nicole
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I always enjoy Catherine Cookson however this one was especially dark. It did wrap up with a somewhat happy ending though, and overall an enjoyable read.
Rachel Adrianna
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Maybe it was just the wrong time for me to delve back into Cookson, but this seemed thoroughly predictable, even though the characters were lovely as always.
Temperance Winfield
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Vintage England. Romance. Turmoil. Simple yet complex. Fantastic.
Vidmantė
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The end of the book was easy to guess. In general the book was interesting and unexpected, revealing the darkest human emotions and actions.
Ann
Apr 06, 2013
Janet
Feb 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Question (Morland Dynasty, #25)
  • Twelfth Night at Eyre Hall (The Eyre Hall Trilogy, #2)
  • Curricle & Chaise
  • Fever Hill (Daughters of Eden Trilogy #2)
  • The Way of a Serpent
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • The Tudor Wife
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
  • Duchess of Milan
  • There'll Be Blue Skies (Beach View Boarding House, #1)
  • Mother of Pearl
  • A Capital Crime (DI Ted Stratton, #3)
  • Tangled Vines
  • Empires of Sand
  • Bad Boy Jack
  • Dangerous to Know
  • Spring Collection
  • Whispers
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...