Jump to ratings and reviews
After her sweetheart Joe dies in a road accident, twenty-four hours after he returns from Army service, grieving Karla Payne slams the door on love. Five years later, Karla's tavern business is booming, and she owns her home, but she knows forever love has no part in her future.

Headed to interview for his first civilian job, retired career Army 1st Sgt. Zane Blackthorne can't resist visiting his late buddy's beloved Vermont hometown. He also can't resist looking up Joe's sweetheart, Karla, who is an alluring mix of brains, beauty, and bravery. Loyalty to his brother-in-arms demands Zane fight his attraction to Karla. Besides, even if Karla wants him, she'll never love him.

Can Zane say goodbye to the woman he has no right to call his own?Even if his only true home is in her arms?

160 pages, ebook

Published October 12, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Charlotte O'Shay

13 books363 followers

Escape into Charlotte O'Shay's award winning, best selling, sweet & steamy romance

City of Dreams series

BOOKBUB

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews
Profile Image for Sydney Winward.
Author 17 books304 followers
September 27, 2020
This is the second book I’ve read in the Deerbourne Inn series, and I must say what a great series it is so far! The author did a great job at painting the scene and developing well-rounded characters. I always love a serious character whose smiles are rare but whose heart is genuine and so capable of loving. Zane was just that character for me. He and Karla made a great match.

As Karla learns to love again after such a tragic loss, I can’t help but be pulled along in a great narrative full of hope, loss, and love. A fantastic read! I definitely recommend.
Profile Image for Jennifer Richey.
1,985 reviews
October 22, 2020
A heartbreaking sweet 2nd chance at love story! All the emotions reading this book! Small town book just the characters Zane & Karla fighting their attraction I just couldn’t put this book down!!
Profile Image for Katie O'Sullivan.
Author 27 books162 followers
November 9, 2020
I love second chance romance! And I love Vermont settings, so the Deerbourne Inn series has a lot going for it, especially this newest installment in the series. Published by the Wild Rose Press, each Deerbourne Inn book is written by a different author and different romance genres, but I love a story of second chances.

Charlotte O'Shay writes believeable, down-to-earth characters with such heart and emotion, you can't help but root for their Happily Ever Afters right from the start. Home in Your Arms, however, gets off to a rockier than usual start.

Karla and Zane met only once before, at her fiance's funeral. Joe made it through an overseas deployment, only to be killed in an early morning car accident when he returned to his small Vermont hometown. Five years later, his Army buddy Zane comes to pay his respects to the town and the sweetheart he feels like he knows from so many stories and conversations. If he's honest with himself, he probably fell in love with her from the stories alone, but the reality of seeing the strong, beautiful, take-charge woman in person blows Zane away.

Karla has only ever dated or loved one man. When Joe dies, she decides fate meant her to be alone for the rest of her life, and throws her energy into work. The feelings Zane stirs in her surprise her on so many levels, but she studiously avoids labeling them since she doesn't want to betray Joe's memory. When he finally pushes to define their relationship, she completely panics.

Can she let herself love again? That's the million dollar question at the center of any good second chance story, and at the heart of the book. And the way Ms. O'Shay handles all the nuances of Karla's emotional upheaval is brilliant.

If you enjoy small town, second chance romance you've got to grab this one. It will tug your heart strings and make you smile. 5 well-deserved stars.
Profile Image for Downward dog.
1,785 reviews12 followers
November 22, 2020

Thanks to the author for providing a copy of this book via Cocktails and Books and Netgalley. The opinions expressed are my own.

Is it possible for two lost souls to help each other heal and find love? Home in your Arms is a heartwarming story that explores that question. It is a touching and sweet story about Zane and Karla, two vulnerable people who deserve to be happy and loved. I savored every page of this small town romance. All the details and descriptions made me feel as though I was right there with them. The characters have layers and depth and I immediately connected with them. They had great dynamics between them and I loved all their interactions and the chemistry they shared.

Zane and Karla are not looking for love when they first meet. Zane doesn’t think he is worthy of love and Karla has given up on love and life since her fiancé was killed by a hit and run driver. Karla broke my heart. She is tough yet fragile as she tries so hard to cover her broken heart from everyone. She works all the time in order to keep herself from thinking about how lonely and unhappy she is.

Zane has just retired from the military and is passing through the small town of Willow Springs. Zane is quiet and reserved, and not sure what to do with his life now that he is done with the military. He has no family or friends, he is completely alone in the world.

This was an emotional story with complex characters but it also had some fun and lightness to it. Karla is surrounded by caring people, although she does get frustrated with her protective brothers, nosy neighbor and her meddling mother. Willow Springs is a small, quaint town and the people who live there are friendly and in your business. I enjoyed reading Zane and Karla’s story. They deserve to be happy and I found them easy to relate to and I cared about them.
Profile Image for Romance4thebeach.
148 reviews13 followers
November 22, 2020
Car trouble in the middle of a rainstorm. Finding shelter in an abandoned garage. A crackling fireplace and only one bed?! Oh yeah, this is definitely my kind of read.

Throughout this novel we see a proverbial third wheel which is a constant underlying presence in Karla and Zane’s relationship: Joe. He was the love of Karla’s life, and possibly Zane’s only true friend in the army. Joe tragically died five years ago, not in war, but rather from a hit-and-run accident that took place merely one day after his return from battle. During his time in the army, Joe always regaled Zane with stories of his quirky home-town and his girl. When Zane finds himself passing through this picturesque locale after leaving the army he can’t help but stop to see it for himself, as well as share with Karla how much his friendship with Joe meant to him. This shared connection with Joe and the retelling of his stories were the impetus which brought these two people together, and they soon discover how much they enjoy simply spending time with each other. However, while Joe’s existence and death brought them together, it also unexpectedly keeps them apart.

As Karla and Zane progress in their relationship by taking things to the next step physically, eventually they have an argument about how to define their relationship. The fight itself did seem somewhat contrived, with Zane seemingly going into the conversation expecting an argument, and peppering Karla with question after question in an accusatory way about how she doesn’t want to put a label on them as a couple. This was definitely true as Karla wanted to stay together with Zane, but was uncomfortable defining them as boyfriend and girlfriend, or perhaps even being on the pathway to something more serious.

After this fight which puts their entire connection in jeopardy, Karla soon realizes that her desire to keep things undefined in her relationship with Zane stemmed from her not wanting to feel disloyal to Joe’s memory. After all, he was her first and only everything, and when he died Karla felt she didn’t deserve to find someone else to replace him. She never could have imagined someone like Zane to come waltzing into her life, and she certainly never expected their connection after just a few weeks could rival that which she experienced for years with Joe. Zane tries his hardest to convince her that it’s not about replacing or forgetting, but rather about opening herself up to the prospect of experiencing even more love in her life.

This is an enjoyable read with an important message about moving on after tragedy, and how to re-open your heart to love again. I appreciated that these two didn’t immediately fall into bed or lust with each other, especially seeing as how important Joe was to both of them. A quick wam-bam-thank-you-ma’am would have felt like a slap in the face to his memory. Instead we see how Karla and Zane are able to acknowledge at the start how much they enjoy the other’s company, and eventually their relationship naturally develops into something more. Not too fast, not too slow, just right!
Profile Image for Rhonda Gilmour.
163 reviews3 followers
October 4, 2020
I found this one touching, sweet, a little steamy, and super-cozy with its setting in a charming Vermont town. There’s even a Maple Sugar Ball! I love the way the author blended serious elements (grief and PTSD) with lighter elements, and her heroine and hero were both so sympathetic and relatable. A lovely, low-stress comfort read for autumn.
Profile Image for Bookish.
1,463 reviews27 followers
October 14, 2020
A heartbreakingly sweet, second chance at love story, small town read. All the feels. I really enjoyed this.
Profile Image for Thi.
4,159 reviews34 followers
November 22, 2020
This was a great read. I’m glad that Zane and Karla found each other. Life doesn’t go as planned but at least they found happiness.
57 reviews
November 15, 2020
Home in Your Arms is part of the Deerbourne Inn series. This is a great second chance romance story.  Karla has been grieving for her love Joe, that was killed one day after he came back from his deployment.  Zane has heard so many stories about Willow Springs from Joe while he was his driver, he just had to see his little town he grew up in. This was a short but sweet story. A must read
Profile Image for Kat Doran.
Author 1 book5 followers
October 30, 2020
. . .Sometimes home is a person. . .

After her sweetheart Joe dies in a road accident, twenty-four hours after he returns from Army service, grieving Karla Payne slams the door on love. Five years later, her tavern business is booming, and she owns her home, but she knows forever love has no part in her future.

Headed to interview for his first civilian job, retired career Army 1st Sgt. Zane Blackthorne can’t resist visiting his late buddy’s beloved Vermont hometown. He also can’t resist looking up Joe’s sweetheart, Karla, who is an alluring mix of brains, beauty and bravery. Loyalty to his brother-in-arms demands Zane fight his attraction to Karla. Besides, even if Karla wants him, she’ll never love him. Can Zane say goodbye to the woman he has no right to call his own? Even if his only true home in in her arms?

Our Review: Both Zane and Karla continue to mourn the loss of Joe, her fiancé and his trusted friend. While time has yet to heal the worst of the wounds, their attraction is immediate and undeniable. When they finally come together, it’s explosive.

Author O’Shay has not failed her faithful fans in this offering of a luscious Vermont setting, the quaint charming town of Willow Springs, and fun, multi-layered secondary characters. Then, she gifts us with Zane and Karla, two protagonists who capture the heart with just a few words.

Home In Your Arms, a lovely addition to the Deerbourne Inn series out of the Wild Rose Press deserves a 7.

Kat Henry Doran, Wild Women Reviews

Profile Image for N.N. Heaven.
Author 6 books1,784 followers
October 26, 2020
Retired Army 1st Sgt. Zane Blackthorne wants to visit his fallen brother-in-arms’ sweet hometown in Vermont. When he looks up Joe's sweetheart, Karla, he's unprepared for the sparks that fly. She's beautiful, smart, and incredibly heroic for all she's had to go through. He fights his feelings for her to honor his friend but it's getting harder and harder the more time they spend together. He knows she'd never love him like she loved Joe but his heart doesn't listen to him. Can he walk away from the only place he's felt at home, in her arms?

I first met Karla in Charlotte O'Shay's story, Forever in a Moment, and liked her immensely. She's a prickly woman but it's understandable, considering the loss she's had to go through. But upon closer inspection, she wants what every woman wants: to be loved. Zach is the perfect partner for Karla and I loved reading their love story. Home in Your Arms is a heartwarming romance you'll curl up to on a cold evening. The plot has perfect pacing without rushing the romance. The characters are so lovable, you'll want to spend all your time with them. I love visiting this series and Home in Your Arms is a superb addition. Fans of feel-good romances as seen on the Hallmark Channel will love this story. Highly recommend!

Disclaimer: I received a copy from the author in the hopes I'd review it.

My Rating: 5+ stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N

This review first appeared: https://www.nnlightsbookheaven.com/po...
4 reviews
October 26, 2020
After reading the first novella in Deerbourne Inn series, Forever in a Moment, I was hooked and eager for the next. The setting for this series is perfect for cozying up on your couch with a cup of tea and escaping to a scenic small town to read about love (much better than my tiny apartment!)

Charlotte has a knack for making every story seem relatable. While I have never experienced a loss of love, I felt Karla's sadness when deciding to put the past behind her, to make memories with someone new. While I have never felt the emptiness of not having somewhere to call home, I understood Zane's desire to find that in a town he had only heard of through stories.

Zane and Karla's meeting was anything but conventional and definitely complicated. Despite this, Charlotte managed to capture the pure and powerful passion between the two, like lovestruck teenagers. I really loved how the story shows that life can be complex and heavy, but that love should always still be youthful.

Yes, Zane is both sultry and a military gentleman, but I think my favorite character will forever be Jared, so thank you Charlotte for keeping us readers laughing!
Profile Image for Shelly Wygant.
1,238 reviews16 followers
October 25, 2020
A second chance at love after tragedy.

Karla lost her love, Joe after he returned from serving. Kane served with Joe in the service. He goes to Joe's hometown on his way to looking for a job. He meets Joe's fiancee Karla. As they become friends and share stories of Joe, they finds some strong feelings for each other. Can they get over the past and settle for the future.

This was a emotional story because of when Karla and Zane have been through. I loved that Kane does push Karla out of her comfort zone but not enough to ruin their friendship and relationship. This is a story that is so realistic. You will be rooting for the two of them to find their HEA.
385 reviews2 followers
October 28, 2020
This was a short but sweet read. I loved how the male character did not fight his feelings for the lead character. This was my first book by this author but it definitely won’t be my last. Fantastic book and highly recommended.
388 reviews
October 25, 2020
Zane and Karla share the loss of someone. Zane goes to Deerbourne to experience the town he has heard about over years. Never expecting to find his soul mate and true love. Karla still grieving the loss of Joe and a unborn child. She meets Zane and they fight the love. Beautiful story of loss, love and future
2,453 reviews15 followers
October 16, 2020
Zane is now out of the military service and was going to Deerbourne Inn in Willow Springs after hearing so much about it from Joe who served with him but one night cost Joe everything including his life so Zane decided to go and spend some time there. Karla owned The Stone Hearth Tavern and she loved working there but after Joe died she has struggled every day. Zane decides to go and see Karla as Joe loved her so much that he always talked about her but what Zane didn't expect was his reaction when he does see Karla for the first time. Will Zane and Karla be able to get through everything that has happened and get a chance of being together or will it all fall apart. Wow this story was really emotional and I couldn't put it down and I had to keep turning the pages to see what would happen next and it was so addictive. Charlotte O'shay is an amazing author and writer and I definitely recommend you read this book and others by her and you will definitely not be disappointed.

971 reviews4 followers
October 19, 2020
This was a sweet read. It was a story of second chances. Taking the risk of tour heart to get the life you want.
Zane is a veteran that returns to the hometown of a former soldier who passed away when he got home by a hit and run . He meets Karla who was his love and is drawn to her. She hAs lives a full but loveless life since Joe passed.
Zane grows so much and puts himself out to
Prove to Karla that they are each other home. Karla was a bit back and forth for me but when she committed it was nice to see their happiness.
I enjoyed the small town Vermont setting. Karlas working on relationships with friends, family and Zane.
Enjoyed the epilogue and dual POV. I am volunteering to leave a review for this book
8,193 reviews93 followers
October 21, 2020
This is the 1st book I've read written by Charlotte O’Shay; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the characters.

3,456 reviews7 followers
October 18, 2020
This interesting book 20 in the Deerbourne Inn Series is a good small town romance read with good characters with good histories. The story has a good story line that is emotional and full of heartbreak . These well-crafted characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable touching, sweet, and steamy romance read.

1,731 reviews4 followers
October 16, 2020

This was a well developed and well written story with amazing characters that I loved reading. It's a beautiful story of Zane and Karla's second chance at love. He was married at a young age and divorced, her fiancé is killed by a hit and run driver while on leave. I loved watching them become a couple it's a second chance, heartbreakingly sweet, great small town romance that I loved reading and I can't wait to read more.

468 reviews1 follower
October 18, 2020
I thought that this book had a really great love story. It was well written and you were cheering on Karla and Zane from the beginning. They had an instant bond and the reason why is heartbreaking yet its a good thing. I loved the surprise at the end and would definitely recommend this book to all you hopeless romantics!!

Profile Image for Maria Imbalzano.
Author 9 books271 followers
October 11, 2020
I love the people who live in the small town of Willow Springs, Vt. as well as the town itself. I especially love Charlotte O’Shay’s characters in “Home In Your Arms.” Karla is the feisty, independent owner of the Stone Hearth Tavern who experienced tragedy five years earlier when Joe, the love of her life, died in a car accident the day he came home from Afghanistan. She knows she will never love again. Until Zane arrives in Willow Springs—a town he’d heard so much about from his army buddy, Joe. The characters are so well developed, you believe you know them. And you feel the pain and confusion Karla experiences when her heart is telling her to let the past go and live in the present, yet how can she when she lost her heart to Joe? “Home In Your Arms” is another five star read from Ms. O’Shay.

128 reviews5 followers
October 16, 2020
The theme of “home being a person” really stood out for me in this book. I enjoyed how the author incorporates it throughout the story, especially for Zane, but Karla too.

I liked watching as Zane and Karla developed their relationship from the first time they meet. The author does a good job filling in the history of each of them, as well as their connection to Joe.

Overall, I enjoyed the book.
Profile Image for Heather Navarre.
656 reviews1 follower
October 17, 2020
I love reading small town romances.

Karla is a feisty bar owner who had an amazing love (Joe) and he was taken from her too soon.

In walks Zane a man who used to serve with Joe. There’s something about him that appeals to Karla.

They didn’t intend for love but you can’t control who you fall in love with.
Profile Image for Penny Leidecker.
2,404 reviews25 followers
October 11, 2020
This is a beautifully told story of how Zane and Karla get a second chance at love, after Karla loses her fiancé, Joe, to a hit and run driver, while he’s on leave and Zane married young and divorced. Zane was Joe’s senior NCO and they became friends. Joe was always talking about Willow Springs, Vermont, his hometown. When Zane leaves the service, he visits and tries to decide what his future will be. Zane and Karla are attracted to each other, but will they act on it or will Zane move for his new job? Grab your copy and see what happens.

Profile Image for Linda Rea.
2,159 reviews14 followers
November 17, 2020
Karla has buried her heartbreak way down so that after five years no one knows how much she hurts till Zane, a soldier her fiancé Joe served with. Zane heard so many wonderful stories from Joe about Karla and the town he knew he just had to stop and see for himself but after meeting Karla he never wanted to leave but can Karla love again? This story was so sweet but the heartbreak was so sad you just keep hoping someone will be happy.
3,174 reviews24 followers
October 16, 2020
The book is a good small town romance read. The story has a good story line. The characters are good, and they have good chemistry. The story is an enjoyable touching, sweet, and steamy romance read.

348 reviews12 followers
October 10, 2020
Quick read that covers grief PSd.There are some hot moments,thus has a great story line they you will enjoy
Profile Image for Charlotte O'Shay.
Author 13 books363 followers
Read
October 28, 2021
Author review:
This is the story you've been asking for. Karla gets her HEA and with one of my favorite-ever heroes—ex-military, Zane Blackthorne. HOME IN YOUR ARMS is my second and final book for the Deerbourne Inn series. I loved spending time in the small town world of Willow Springs. Karla & Zane meet when the time is right for love after loss and I adored watching them figure out the other was perfect for them. Karla stubbornly takes a little longer than Zane to realize...I hope you find this story as emotional and affirming as I do.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 49 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.