Start by marking “Curse Painter (Art Mages of Lure Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Curse Painter (Art Mages of Lure Book 1)

Curse Painter

(Art Mages of Lure #1)

Art is magic. Art is a curse.

Briar can curse with the flick of a paintbrush. Her paintings maim, bewitch, and—most effectively of all—destroy. But Briar doesn't want to hurt people anymore. She has fled her family's deadly curse business to start a new life peddling nonlethal jinxes and petty revenge.

Briar’s destructive powers catch the eye of a charismatic young outlaw ca
Kindle Edition
Published October 9th 2020

Start your review of Curse Painter (Art Mages of Lure Book 1)
Bryn Shutt
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, now, this is the kind of story I've been trying to find for a very long time!

I grew up on Robin Hood and used to dive for any "Robin Hood flavored" releases hoping they would deliver the same adventure, atmospheric wonder and dark whimsy as the original tale. But nope, this is the age of realism and every story I read left me abysmally disappointed (if I wanted realistic Robin Hood, writers, I would just read historical fiction).

But I tried this one. Rivet is one of the few writers I trust
Suzannah
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, rating-pg-13
I was excited when I heard that Jordan Rivet was writing a Robin-Hood-inspired fantasy and took the first opportunity to snag an ARC...but I'm not going to lie, I think CURSE PAINTER might be my favourite Rivet book yet. Archer is a really delightful character who had me chuckling out loud several times in the first chapter or two, while Briar quickly won my heart with her conflict between the destructive magic she wields so powerfully and her determination to do good despite everything. Our adv ...more
Hayley Haws
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was unaffected by the announcement of Taylor Swift's surprise album release; however, a surprise book release gets my attention.

In her just-announced story, "Curse Painter", Jordan Rivet introduces us to Briar, a talented artist who can use her works to curse others. Though skilled, Briar lives a simple life that is more focused on separating herself from her past than earning fame for what she can do. Early on, Briar is found by Archer, a thief who needs someone with Briar's talent. As can a
Shan Shan ✨
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! I couldn’t have loved Archer and Briar more. The story was well told and I’m all about a good Robin Hood type story. I can’t wait for the sequel! Jordan Rivet is definitely one of my favorite authors.
Kiele McKinney
DNF at 42%

There was nothing wrong with this book, but it was truly just meh. All of the characters felt kind of bland, and I just could get into it. And the fact that I was at, like, 40 percent and still wasn't intrigued made me have to stop it. I am disappointed, as I had been looking forwards to this, but oh well.
Rickey Morris
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Curse Painter Jordan Rivet

(I was provided with an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review)

Briar escaped her Power Hungry Parents who only cared to use their talents for Money, Prestige, and Destruction and tried to live a life out of the attention of Authorities, and by only using her considerable Power to exact justice for the downtrodden and to stay in peace in her quiet and cozy little cottage and practice. Her plans went sideways when a Village Smithy wanted revenge on a man of power who s
Sophia Lee Delorey
Having been an avid reader of Ms Rivet's books from the beginning, I was ecstatic to learn she was at last ready to start publishing one of her passion projects, The Art Mages of Lure, starting with The Curse Painter. I was fortunate to be a part of her ARC team, and am excited to share with you my review of what I am certain is going to be a best seller.

Briar is a young woman trying to come to terms with the great conflict between the nature of her gifts and the person she wants to become. Alwa
Tessa Stilley
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, She's done it again. I've been so Jordan Rivet has completely ensnared me into a story.

I saw her talking about how she's been working on this book for a long time and I could almost tell when she wrote certain parts. Perhaps I've just read too much of her, but some parts gave me strong vibes from other Rivet books. Not a bad thing just interesting.

I always love what she does with words. She is writing some of the best young adult fantasy out there right now. The magic system is unique and
Laetitia
I received a copy of this book from the author.

Just like all other book series from Jordan Rivet, I was thoroughly entertained and could not put this book down. This author is not afraid to take everything away from her characters which culminates in truly poignant novels.

I am always amazed by the innovative magic systems that Jordan Rivet creates in her series. The rules of paint magic are both complex yet easy enough to understand that solutions are not appearing from nowhere. I hope that we
Anne
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoyed this story! All of the characters were fascinating and lovable (particularly Archer, ahem) and I liked the theme of choosing to do what is good and right, even when it wasn't easy and everything, even your own history, seems against you. My only complaint is that the ending after the climax seemed a bit rushed and there was a bit of language. But nevertheless, it was a very fun ride and I will definitely be trying to get my hands on the sequel when it comes out! I have read som ...more
Leigh
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Jordan Rivet has sent me to a world of strength, perseverance and self discovery. Jordan’s heroines are always relatable in their self doubt, strong wills and in their inevitable discovery of their own worth. Briar is no different. Her journey is one a lot of us have taken - wanting to do good in a world full of bad. What choices are the right choices? Are the bad really so wrong? What do you do if you have no other option? Jordan’s world of the Curse Painter will sweep you away and m ...more
Janet Hugo
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished the ARC and didn't want it to end. I was intrigued by the title as it suggested a new type of magical fantasy. The book did not disappoint.

There was the essence of old world magic along with colorful characters who were vividly portrayed so as to easily be pictured in one's imagination.

I loved the various aspects of romance, intrigue, a bit of swashbuckling and famiily dynamics. It made for a very enjoyable read and left this reader hoping it won't be too long before the adventure
Paulo De Sa
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2020
I've received an ARC copy in exchange of an honest review.
A very nice story. Is a book that follows the normal pace of Jordan, starts slow, have a lot of twists and turns, and ends with a so fast a pace that we got the feeling that something is a miss. What makes us eager to read the next part of it.
The characters are full of live and the main ones shows all their fragility and doubts in what they can do.
Lj
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great start to a new series in a new and interesting world. It has all the elements of a great read, adventure, action, a little romance and plenty of plot twists. I would quibble that despite the story is reportedly inspired by the stories of Robin Hood and one of the main characters being called "Archer" I don't think anyone actually fires a single arrow until about 2/3rd's of the way through the book - I was expecting to see more marksmanship more often.
Karisa P.
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! Briar desperately wants to have a comfortable, low-profile life, but her powerful curse painting magic won’t let her use it peacefully. When one of her innocuous painting missions goes awry, Briar is forced out of hiding and into a mission with much higher stakes. A fantastic, adventurous tale with compelling characters, satisfyingly unravelling mysteries, and beautifully described imagery. Definitely worth the read!! Can't wait for the next one!
Christinaraven
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story. It was a bit different then the usual but that made it a good read. I loved the characters and the world building with its magic system. I liked that everyone was not straight forward and the perfect plans just never worked out right. The mix of suspense, action, danger and politics were a great addition to this world. I can honestly say I loved it and cannot wait to see what might happen next.
Lindsay Rankin
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books
Great book!

I loved this book! The characters, the setting, the unique magic, I enjoyed all of it! I can’t wait for the next book in the series to be released. I also really appreciated that the romance is clean and that there is only mild swearing.

Content:
Mild swearing
Sweet romance
Judy Macneil
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. Riveting! Jordan Rivet always gives you an epic tale! Curse Painter has surprises inside surprises beside surprises. How she envisions so many forms of magic is amazing ( Steel and Fire, Empire of Talents, etc ). Her characters are believable. Her worlds seem real. Now the wait for book 2.
Colleen
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Innovative

I love the writer's ideas about magic in all of her books. This was no exception. It was an enjoyable read; however, more character development and a more detailed hero's journey would have strengthened the book. Maybe trying to do too much with too few pages? It did help me escape for a while. I am curious to see the sequel.
christina Weselake
I could not stop reading h this book. The ending left me wanting more. I’m hoping this is not the last for this book. So much can be continued. I gelling i. Love with the characters and their lives. I’m so glad I was able to read something dress and on the seat of you pants wonder what’s coming next. I definitely be rwadii I BG more of this author’s books.
Taiyeaba
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barbara S. Fetty
Enjoyable Story.

A new twist on the use of magic. The main characters were well defined and likeable. Hopefully the next book will be out soon
Charles Sarsby
Once again Jordan Rivet has come up with an innovative idea so brilliantly written as to make it real.
LooseBoots
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful story by Jordan.
As I’ve said for other authors, a new series is always a double edged sword with new characters and a new “ world”. But I have no qualms in recommending this book/ series. It has everything going for it with a complex at times storyline but always easy to follow.
A magical journey that had me glued to my kindle. Battles between good and evil and people trying to be good like Briar and Archer .
Well worth reading.
Deb Barringer
Shelves: arc-s
Curse Painter is a fantastic new novel by Jordan Rivet. True to style, Ms. Rivet has created yet another round of fascinating magic wielders which make her stories so unique. This tale is filled with adventure, intrigue, politics and, of course, magic. The storyline is fast-paced and well written. The characters are all well developed and engaging. Although this book did not end on a cliffhanger, I look forward to their next adventure in the promised sequel!
gaylynnshawgmail.com
Sep 29, 2020
Ola
Oct 22, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)
  • The Rook (The Twisted Kingdoms #2)
  • Delivering Evil for Experts (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #4)
  • Thief (The Scarred Mage of Roseward, #1)
  • Crown of Danger (The Hidden Mage, #2)
  • Wing Magic (Empire of War and Wings #3)
  • Hive Magic  (Empire of War and Wings #2)
  • Damned Souls and a Sangria (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #8)
  • Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)
  • Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors (The Guild Codex: Warped, #1)
  • Midnight Kisses (Shifter Island, #1)
  • Resting Witch Face (Widow's Bay #1)
  • A Stitch in Time (A Stitch in Time, #1)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Hush (Hush, #1)
  • Dawn of Darkness (The Riven Kingdoms #3)
  • The Nowhere Witch (Tales of Xest #2)
  • Queen of Djinn (Desert Nights Novels #4)
Jordan Rivet is an American author of swashbuckling YA fantasy and post-apocalyptic science fiction. Originally from Arizona, she lives in Hong Kong with her husband.

Jordan's books span five series, including YA fantasy adventures Steel and Fire, Empire of Talents, and The Fire Queen’s Apprentice, and science fiction including Wake Me After the Apocalypse and The Seabound Chronicles.