Start by marking “Les clés d'Aphrodite” as Want to Read:
Les clés d'Aphrodite

Les clés d'Aphrodite (Vanza #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  5,539 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
La plupart des voyageurs auraient pris leurs jambes à leur cou plutôt que de pénétrer dans l'abbaye. Un bâtiment gothique en ruines, situé au plus profond d'une sinistre forêt du Devon... Mais ces lieux manifestement hantés semblent enchanter Béatrice Poole : " Quel merveilleux décor pour mon prochain livre ! " Nul ne se doute que cette ravissante jeune femme publie, sous ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 317 pages
Published September 2nd 1999 by J'ai lu (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Les clés d'Aphrodite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les clés d'Aphrodite

Lizzy
A good mix of mystery, suspense and romance makes With This Ring by Amanda Quick an entertaining read. 2.5 stars.
Daniella
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been amazed at how Ms. Amanda Quick manages to create a certain degree of mystery in her stories without making them too dark or maudlin, and With This Ring is definitely not an exception. The elements of a romance novel and a thriller are combined together in a perfectly balanced book, which is further augmented by its lovable hero and heroine. I enjoyed reading this and could not put it down.

I loved Beatrice and Leo. Both were headstrong and stubborn individuals, and from my expe
Penny Watson
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quickie Review for With This Ring by Amanda Quick

Amanda Quick is the master of the universe. The first 13 pages of With This Ring are absolute perfection. Her writing never ceases to amaze me...she can nail an entire scene with a single word. Everything about this book is perfect...the storyline is tight, the characters are larger than life, the mystery engaging, the humor is spot on. Leo, the Mad Monk of Monkcrest, and Beatrice, secret author of "horrid novels," are a fantastic pairing. Honestl
Aarann
I've read worse by Amanda Quick, but I've also read better. The story featured a widow and a widower, rather than a virginal "original" and the two were older than her characters usually are (the book actually featured several jokes poking at their "advanced" ages). Otherwise, this one didn't break any molds. Beatrice was the usual headstrong, indomitable female, plunging headlong into wacky situations that Leo had to occasionally rescue her from and more frequently, yell at her for getting hers ...more
Lauren
With This Ring
4 Stars

Impoverished following the death of her husband, Beatrice Pool earns her living writing “Horrid" novels. When her uncle dies under suspicious circumstances, Beatrice approaches the notoriously anti-social Leo Drake, Earl of Monkcrest “The Mad Monk” for assistance, and soon finds herself immeshed in a plot not unlike one of her books.

Amanda Quick’s writing is somewhat formulaic but her stories never fail to entertain. The eccentric and enigmatic Leo has more than met his mat
CamryWagon
Personally I don't consider With This Ring part of the Vanza series since the island of Vanzagara is only mentioned once as the origin of a plant Monkcrest posesses. Just saying.

I read this book after reading the more recent books by Amanda Quick and I felt as if things were a bit slow to get off the ground. Something about characters being stuck in the boondocks during a storm must have that effect on me. The story picked up once the characters started moving, though.

I liked reading about chara
Holly
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leo Drake and Beatrice Poole form an interesting alliance to find a lost ring, which leads them into a murder mystery. And of course, there is some hot sex and romance along the way.
I want to go back in time so I can have carriage sex...
This is Amanda Quick at her best.
I loved the banter between Leo and Beatrice as they spar off each other.
Ms. Quick creates such interesting male characters--alpha, and sexy-hot.
Her female leads are always intelligent, strong, and daring.
They always give the guy
LibraryLass
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper, re-read, 2008, 2010
As per usual, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Whenever I haven't a clue what to read next but want something I know I am going to enjoy I always pick up either an Amanda Quick, J D Robb or (early) Julia Garwood. Guaranteed satisfaction

Re-read July/10
Lori McD
This quirky book provided a bit of a mystery along with a fun confection of a "romance". The "Mad Monk" of Monkcrest is an old nickname for men of the title of Earl of Monkcrest, because often the men are considered odd or eccentric... of just plain mad.

This Mad Monk is none other than Leo, a man who's raised 2 grown sons (19 and 17 respectively) mostly on his own. The sons are now an a Grand Tour of the Continent with their tutor, and Leo finds himself alone. On a stormy night, as he's ponderin
D.W. Nichols
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia de amor envuelta en la intriga, el misterio, la aventura y el asesinato. Si estas razones no son suficientes para leer esta apasionante novela, hay algunas más.
Leo Drake, Conde de Monkcrest, apodado el Monje Loco es como un Indiana Jones del siglo XIX, con ganzúas en lugar de látigo. Un hombre de 40 años que tiene el convencimiento que lo que le queda de vida tendrá que enfrentarse al mal que más teme: el aburrimiento. Pero por suerte para él, Beatrice Pool aparece en escena y se cr
Heather
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read. Much better than the second book in this series (I Thee Wed - which doesn't really seem related to this book to any great extent). Leo Drake ("the mad monk") is a very likable well portrayed character. I enjoyed his role from the opening scenes of the book right through the end. He's eccentric, charming, and enigmatic.

Beatrice Poole, the heroine, is also well portrayed although she can be a little pushy and demanding at times.

The book made me laugh out loud in severa
Nancy
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
Beatrice Poole, a widow and secretly the author of romantic “horrid” novels, contacts Lord Leo Drake to assist her in locating a valuable relic. The “Mad Monk of Moncrest”, as he is nicknamed, is known for his antiquities studies. Thrilled when he accepts her challenge, she wonders if she’ll be able to focus when his seductive manner distracts her.

Engaged by the woman’s forthright attitude, Leo has reasons of his own for agreeing to his scheme. Little does he know that his heart will be at risk
Brianne
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
I had to take a short break from unsatisfying romances and With This Ring was the perfect way to come back. This was sort of a quiet read, something I enjoyed and would recommend but it didn't blow my mind. I really liked both the hero and heroine, and enjoyed the way they ended up together. Also, the hero's two older sons, 17 and 18, set this romance apart from most others. They didn't play a big role but I liked seeing that both characters were more mature than usual and had lived lives separa ...more
Fernanda
:) muito bom!
uma historia envolta em misterio, lenda e antiguidades.
com uma trama muito envolvente Amanda Quick, mantem o leitor agarrada, literalmente.

Beatrice, uma escritora de historias de horror anda na demanda de encontrar uma chave muito especial... e nesta sua senda encontra o tão mal fadado Monge Louco, na pessoa do Conde de Montcrest....

O prato forte da historia é mesmo o misterio e o suspense, na sua vertente romântica é muito breve. Mas é sem duvida uma historia imperdivel. :)
Molly
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The usual fabulous, steamy, fun writing, coupled with a little bit more mature couple. The story progresses naturally, the plot is interesting and the villain is not completely expected. There are surprising turns in the mystery sub plot (which actually helps the love story). I liked this one a lot!
Shasha
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the romance and the mystery kept me going. However, what was with the paranormal feelings of the heroine? She had a sixth sense about old items. Not what I look for with my historical romance.
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Barbara Rosenblatt - narration 5*s

Amanda Quick will always be a favorite uncomplicated author for me.
Vivian Chan
This one's a bit turn-off.
The suspense is mediocre and the romance is cliche at best.
I actually jumped dozens of pages several times to see the destined happy-ever-after ending...
Miriam Stern
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, entertaining, and very quick-paced novel! I liked both main characters. Well balanced and a very good plot that keeps you wondering who the real culprit might be by the end!
Dakota
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Around 3.5-4
Liked this one better than I thee wed.
Enjoyable read
Linda Rice
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love Amanda Quick's books, and I loved this one as well, but not quite as much as others.
Sarah S
The romance came on a bit abruptly. Surprisingly, "everyone" turned out to be the bad guy. Lots of skimming.
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
hahahhahha.. kata orang ini jelek..

kata orang ini biasa ajah..

tapi gw suka... ^^
CatBookMom
Interesting mystery, heavy-handed on the details of the sex scenes.
Shirlene
Leo Drake, also known as the Mad Monk of Monkcrest Abbey, was at home alone. His two sons, Carlton (19) and William (17) had left for the Continent in the company of their tutor. Leo had married the woman of his dreams. They had two sons and then a few years after his second son was born, his wife developed a lung infection and had died.
Beatrice Poole had also married young and three years into her marriage, her husband was killed by a highwayman. It was now five years later and she was an auth
Annika
This is definitely now one of my favorite Amanda Quick novels next to Ravished. Wonderfully funny, with fast suspense plot that doesn't really matter because character interactions are so witty and hilarious. No rapey pseudo-alpha heroes, no fainting sheep of a virgin heroine. The hero IS alpha but in the best possible way, the heroine is headstrong and occasionally impulsive but not TSTL.

This pretty much describes their relationship to a T:
"That afternoon in The Academy’s schoolroom Leo had arg
Bethany
Fun mystery romance with themes of the horrid novels of the early 1800s. This reminded me a lot of Quick's Tobias March/Lavinia Lake trilogy (which I loved), in its best facets. The hero and heroine are nicely matched, and neither are stupid or overly irrational. The mystery was somewhat predictable, but the character development and relationship are the A plot, and the mystery was better than most in the genre. I would read a sequel with these characters; this was a quality story with well-craf ...more
aem
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I did enjoy this book, though I found Beatrice to be pretty unlikeable initially - she was overbearing and obnoxious! Was it normal in that age to drop in on people and expect them to put you up after telling them they have to do something for you???!!! And not even an introduction??? Hmmm... I very much liked Leo, however, as I found him charmingly eccentric...
Joanna
There is something comforting about an Amanda Quick mystery. Humorous, gothic, romantic - there is something for everyone. Quick never takes herself too seriously and the results are always an engaging, fun read.
Lauren
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WLP Library
Shelves: memorable
3.5
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: With This Ring (1998) Book 1 1 5 Sep 27, 2012 11:05AM
  • Trust Me
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...

Vanza (4 books)
  • I Thee Wed (Vanza, #2)
  • Wicked Widow (Vanza, #3)
  • Lie by Moonlight (Vanza, #4)