Start by marking “Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)” as Want to Read:
Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)

Wintersteel

(Cradle #8)

As the Uncrowned King tournament reaches its final rounds, tensions between the competing factions are higher than ever. The outcome may determine the power balance throughout the rest of the world.

Each Monarch schemes to seize any advantage they can...while far away, a Dreadgod stirs.

When the tournament ends, the Dreadgod will rise. Whether it will be driven back into the
Published October 6th 2020 by Hidden Gnome Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wintersteel, please sign up.
Robert I'm okay with recaps, sometimes it's literally YEARS in between single books within a series. Way better, than having every single world-mechanic /cha…moreI'm okay with recaps, sometimes it's literally YEARS in between single books within a series. Way better, than having every single world-mechanic /character-detail explained from scratch in every single book. THAT just maddens me.(less)
TheGreatConst To those who think that it is hard and long to write a book - just check webnovel or royalroad and see how some people manage to release a 2000 words …moreTo those who think that it is hard and long to write a book - just check webnovel or royalroad and see how some people manage to release a 2000 words long chapters almost every day. Some of them literally write a "new book worth of content" each month. Of course, editing could take some time, but not months. If you write 1k words per day (1-2 hours) then it would take you only two months to write a 60k words novel. Of course, the comment from Splatted is still bullshit. xD
The real reasons why it takes so long for most popular writers to release new books is that:
1. They get enough money from their success to not care about releasing new books fast.
2. After some time your old ideas get boring to you, you just don't feel like writing the story because in your head you already completed it and already got tired from it. Just think about it - you can read the story in 4 hours, but the author needs to spend at least 40 hours to write it. He spends way more time with the story and characters, it just gets boring. (less)

Start your review of Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
Petrik
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

Wintersteel is the most action-packed volume, with some of the finest action scenes, within the series so far.

“There are a million Paths in this world, Lindon, but any sage will tell you they can all be reduced to one. Improve yourself.”

The story in Wintersteel focuses mostly on the second half of the unfinished Uncrowned King tournament. The conflict and tensions between the remaining competitors are ve
Calista
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans, Will Wight Fans
3rd Reading:
Yes, this is one of my top 3 books in the series. The end of this is amazing.

The tournament in this book starts to get stale and a little boring just seeing two people fight. It's cool, but I found myself wanting to skip forward, unless it was Eithan. The final match was amazing. The focus of the book is when LIndon gets to Sky's Edge and then I'm on the edge of my seat. It's so good.

I will have to say, it's hard to see Lindon being so much better by the end than in the tournament. H
Hamad
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷 Support me

“The only true defeat is death.”

Unsouled ★★★ 3/4
Soulsmith ★★★ 1/2
Blackflame ★★★★
Skysworn ★★★★ 1/4
Ghostwater ★★★★
Underlord ★★★★ 1/4
Uncrowned ★★★★ 1/2
Wintersteel ★★★★ 1/2

Wintersteel is currently my favorite book in this series which has been improving with each and every entry. Since I am up to date now with all the releases in the series, I should thank my friends David and TS Chan who insisted on me reading the series because
TS Chan
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Wintersteel was yet another immensely addictive, fun and fantastic continuation in the Cradle series, which just keeps getting more epic with each book.

We’ve arrived at the pinnacle of the second act of the series (on the basis that I’m breaking up the planned 12 books into three acts of four books each), and true to its sub-genre as a progression fantasy, everything about the story has been progressing to increasingly more spectacular levels. Looking back to the first book, Unsouled,
Bret Peavy
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lol, not even out yet but 5/5. Great series.
Deborah Obida
Apr 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Buddy read with Snezana

This is the best book I’ve read this year.

Wintersteel is book 8 of the Cradle series and it began with a bang, given that Uncrowned ended with a cliffhanger, I love how the author began this book. The book opened with an interesting prologue about what took the Sage of the Endless sword to Sacred Valley, it was very informative.

Moving on, the author took the readers(me) back to the tournament and omg, it is the best thing I’ve read in forever, the fight scenes and battle s
Terence
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
The Uncrowned King tournament comes closer to conclusion while a Dreadgod is preparing to rise. Monarchs and their followers scheme and train to see who will claim a power great enough to destroy a Dreadgod.

Wintersteel was a very enjoyable story. It was the longest book in the series and that allowed the author room for a lot of developments to take place. The story begins with Yerin, Mercy, Eithan, and the other Uncrowned train for their upcoming matches for a month. Lindon is left out and is g
Andrew Rockwell
Jul 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5.0 stars---

"Wintersteel" is everything I've wanted from this series. It has been a slow build, but the ride has been fun. I highly recommend this series to anyone who likes action and what I like to call Kung-fu fantasy. The action and the characters' personal growth are what make this series fun, the books have slowly been getting better since I enjoyed "Unsouled" (book 1) a few months ago. This is my first series I've read in the "Progression?" genre and I enjoy it, but I'm not sure that I'll
Luke Chmilenko
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Legendary!

Oh man. I can't even begin for this one and really anything I say is going to pale in comparison to actually reading the book. All I'll say is that Will is an absolute God at his craft, and I one day hope to channel a fraction of his power.
Haïfa

Jake
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

Wow wow wow.

I had a lot of expectations coming into this book. A year of waiting, of reading through the whole series multiple times, of listening to the audiobooks, of spending time in the fan communities on Reddit and Discord, talking about Cradle and speculating about what we would get in Wintersteel, what questions would be answered.

Wintersteel delivered everything I had hoped for and then some. I had hoped for a book on the level of Underlord or Ghostwater, and then I got a book that w
Arty
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

This is the best one yet! Will really outdid himself this time! The ending almost had me in tears. Wow.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
4.5 stars. That was a TON of exhilarating fun.
David S Meanderings)
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing

“But danger, properly harnessed, is opportunity.”

Most people who follow my Twitter and reviews probably know by now that I love this series…..like a lot. The combination of intense, fast paced action, characters that you grow to love, and a plot/world that get more interesting and engaging with every book has gotten me to the point where every new book that comes out in this series is started the day of publication. Wintersteel was no exception to that rule.

It would be a crime to not g
Dexcell
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Goddamn. What a book. So much pay off in this one. Especially with Eithan, I loved every moment with him. I can't wait to see what happens next. ...more
Federico Frontini
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid entry in the series. I liked it far more than Uncrowned but less than the others.

So, Will Wight said, soon after the release of Uncrowned that despite the title, this was going to be "A Lindon book".

It's not.
It's almost completely focused on Yerin and if you like the character that's great and you will love Wintersteel so much. But I can't stand her and I think she is a blatant Mary Sue with a terrible personality and little character.

Will loves her a lot, and it shows. Always had.

But
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
What a GLORIOUS apotheosis!
Steven Brown
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Think of everything that means "awesome" and apply it to this book.

Honestly this is one of my favorite series that I've happened upon and surprisingly I first found it on Unlimited with a few free books. I do wish that every book in the series was as long as this one so that I can enjoy it all the more. It is still a fast read that if I had had the time could have devoured in a day or so. We experience a bit more point of view this go around but the story again remains engaging.

This series is c
Wolfmantula
Mar 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2022-tbr
For more reviews, go to www.wolfmantula.com

📖/🎧 Kindle Whispersync

This was an incredible addition to the series and completely filled with nonstop, epic action. Some truly glorious fights! I took my time reading this one, mainly because it’s coming to an end very soon and I wanted to soak it all up before having to wait for the next book.
There’s not really much more I can say other than if you have reached this point in the series, I know you’re in love with it the way that I and many, many other
L.L. MacRae
Feb 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic entry to the Cradle series! So many incredible fights and action-packed sequences that had me on the edge of my seat! Brilliant writing, character development, progression, expansion of the world and lore. Some really massive changes and impacts and huge amounts of payoff - especially at the end! These books are generally great all the way through, but the endings of the last handful have been particularly spectacular. Can't wait to jump into the next one! ...more
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
This is a continuation of the 7th book Uncrowned, and delivers an action-packed and thrilling conclusion to the tournament storyarc. This is the book where the Monarchs go to war, and there are backstabbings, power-politics, and the threat of Dreadgods waking.

I loved reading about the progression of our favourite characters. Eithan is as usual charismatic, and I can't wait to see him advance to either Herald or Monarch. Lindon and Yerin also advances in their power and develops a sort of emotio
Rob
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: This book really delivers on the promise of Uncrowned. I found it started a bit slow but finished really strong and I already can't wait for the next book. 4.5 stars.

Full Review
I first read Will Wight early in 2019 when I got a copy of Unsouled. A buddy of mine had been trying to get me to check out another series he'd written for a few months before that but I never got around to.

Cradle has quickly become one of my favorite series and each new book is a drop what you're d
Bender
Overall: +8/10

Cracking next installment in the series. A bit of Deux Ex machina at the end to steer the way for next chapter, but that doesn't take too much away from a entertaining roller coaster read.

I want the next book already!

Plot/Pace/Writing: : +8/10

A massive slab of a book that suffers from slight pacing issues. There's a lot of ground covered, so it's forgivable, but a slightly trimmed down version might have been more taut. The story switches between the events in the UK tournament a
MFD
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not disappointed

Frankly, after Uncrowned, I was disappointed. There was a massive cliffhanger, the fight sequences were somewhat disappointing, and Lindon just got annihilated time after time by Akura Underlords. This was a welcome change. We went back to some of the old themes of the trio(Eithan, Yerin, Lindon) being unique, with new cultivation levels, new tricks/divine treasures, and exciting fight sequences.
This book was a masterpiece.
I could barely put it down, from Eithan’s fight sequence
Steve Naylor
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.5 stars

A very good addition to the series. I was a little lost at first since it had been so long since the last book. We start off right where we left off in the tournament. I remembered the main characters Linden, Yerin, Mercy, Dross, little blue and some others pretty well but there were so many other people in the tournament right from the beginning I was a little lost for a while. The fighting scenes weren't as interesting to me when the main group of people weren't involved. As t
Sinéad
Jul 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
These continuously get better and better. So good, so satisfying.
Tonio Leo
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! Best entry to this series yet!

This entry left me with the most satisfied grin I’ve had in a while. Hurry Will, we need the next book so bad!
Kyle Erickson
Aug 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was so damn good.

Let's talk about Eithan Aurelius for a second. For 7 books now, Eithan has been continuously the best part of this series. I daresay he's one of the most fascinating characters I've ever read about. Whenever you expect him to zig, he zags. Whenever youve caught on, and expect him to zig, he zigs, and challenges your expectations. Every scene with him is great, and he was used superbly in this book.

Yerin...goddamn Yerin. Just such a good character. I don't have much to
Victor
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Another great book in the Cradle series.

By now, you know exactly what to a expect from a Cradle book: a fast-paced action pack story filled with moments that will make you blurt out "wow" and "holy shit" in real life.

This is, by far, the largest book in the series and my withdrawal symptoms after finishing the book are worst off for it. I devoured this book and despite its size compared to previous Cradle books there were no dull moments.

Will Wight has stated that he tries to make sure there
Koeur
Mar 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Publishing Date: 2020

Genre: Epic Fantasy

Rating: 4.8/5

Review: This is not the end of the series as the Dreadgods have yet to fully waken. A good prelude to ultimate turmoil and the ascending powers of our heroes. Looking forward to the next.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Wintersteel (Cradle #8) [July 8, 2022] 2 2 1 hour, 4 min ago

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Iron Prince (Warformed: Stormweaver, #1)
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Summoner 17 (Summoner, #17)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant #4)
  • The Torch that Ignites the Stars (Arcane Ascension, #3)
  • The Second Expedition (A Thousand Li, #4)
  • Mother of Learning: ARC 1
  • Star Child (Places of Power, #1)
  • First Steps (Descend, #1)
  • The Supreme God of Martial Arts 20: Fight Against The Heaven Realm Master (Living Martial Legend: A Cultivaion Novel)
  • The Tree of Ascension (Peril's Prodigy #2)
  • Ascendant (Songs of Chaos #1)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters (He Who Fights with Monsters, #1)
  • The Wastes of Keldora (Factory of the Gods, #1)
See top shelves…

Cradle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Bloodline (Cradle, #9)
  • Reaper (Cradle, #10)
  • Dreadgod (Cradle, #11)

News & Interviews

“As he was halfway through the portal, pushing forward as though trying to escape a rushing river, he screamed, “Remember, Lindon! Remember to visit a barber! A barber, Lindon! Your hair lacks volume and defin—” 13 likes
“authority” 1 likes