Start by marking “The Best Thing You Can Steal” as Want to Read:

The Best Thing You Can Steal

Gideon Sable is a thief and a con man. He specializes in stealing the kind of things that can't normally be stolen. Like a ghost's clothes, or a photo from a country that never existed.
Published April 6th 2021 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Best Thing You Can Steal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Thing You Can Steal

Start your review of The Best Thing You Can Steal
Carolyn
Gideon Sable is a master thief and con man in a magical version of London. He has even stolen his current identity from another thief as well as several very useful magical items. He's been asked to plan a major heist and has assembled a crew who all want revenge on Frederic Hammer, the man they are to steal from. Gideon's employer is the man's vengeful ex wife. Together they had an amazing collection of magical artefacts, but divorce has left her with only a few trifles and she now wants Gideon ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
by Simon R. Green

My favorite fantasy in 60 years of reading has been Simon R. Green's Nightside series! It has the absolute best world building and unique characters ever! This book brings back that wonderful imagination and creative spark I so loved from the Nightside. These new characters are so bizarre, zany, unique, and perfectly reckless that they are perfect for the crew to storm a highly fortified hideout and steal an enchanted artifact. This world is also just
Jannelies
Sometimes I choose books because of an interesting title... and sometimes because I'm already a fan of the author. This time, it was both. Who can withstand such a great title?
The book turned out to be great too. Gideon Sable - the néw Gideon Sable as he says himself - needs to find a couple of people to help him steal something very valuable from a very horrible man. He ends up with three other people, who all have their own reasons for wanting to rob the horrible man of something - including
Marianne
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“’How did you find me?’
‘I stole a lucky charm from a scumbag banker, just an hour ago,’ I said. ‘I came here, and the charm arranged things so you’d be here, too.’
Annie frowned. ‘But I talked Danny into bringing me here yesterday … long before you stole the charm!’
‘I know!’ I said cheerfully. ‘Freaky, isn’t it?’”

The Best Thing You Can Steal is a novel by British science fiction and fantasy-author, Simon R. Green. The master thief who now identifies as Gideon Sable has a plan, and he has already
Bandit
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m glad to be the first person to rate and review this book, because it was lovely and you should definitely check it out and here’s why.
I’ve actually never read Green before. Certainly heard of him, he’s got tons of books out. Main reason being…not exactly my genre, paranormal fantasy. Plus I really don’t like to read serials. But then this one come up on Netgalley and it just looked fun and was so short (and really, not many authors of that of other genres manage to tell a story in under 200
fleurette
This is my first book by Simon R. Green, but I've heard a lot of good things about this author. And now I know why. This is a cute quick story that is fun to read. Especially for someone like me who loves the heist stories.

Gideon Sable, or rather the man who stole his identity, gathers a team to make the impossible job - steal from the worst man on earth his most precious piece of collection. And all this on behalf of none other than the man's ex-wife. Isn't that a great idea for a fun story? Es
Sue
I have enjoyed reading Simon Green’s Ishmael Jones’ series and was happy to have the opportunity to read this new book, not part of any current series. It takes place in a London with a difference, an overlay of magical and fantastic elements and beings that mix with the human. And it’s presented with the edgy and witty and occasionally rude commentary you would expect from Green.

In The Best Thing You Can Steal, a thief, who has assumed a missing thief’s identity, is in the process of organizing
Judy
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Such fun! This is the first book I've read by Simon R. Green. A paranormal book about a heist that included a superb cast of characters. Gideon Sable (but not really - he's stolen the name of a person who was considered a master thief) is the ringleader. He wants to gather together a specific group of people to pull off the greatest theft imaginable - to steal the most important item from the worst man in the world. To do this he needs to convince The Damned, the Ghost, the Wild Card . . . and h ...more
Karissa
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the Gideon Sable series. I got a copy of this book through NetGalley to review. Previous to reading this I had read all of the Nightside series (loved it), the first couple books of Secret Histories (eh...it was okay), and the first book of the Ghost Finders series (yuck..it was awful).

Story (4/5): This was very reminiscent of Green's Nightside series and I really enjoyed it. There is a cast of incredibly quirky characters here along with snappy dial
Stefanie
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
This novel is an incredible example of how to world-build via action rather than exposition. The novel launches immediately into the action and doesn't take its foot off the gas until the very end. ...more
Pop Bop
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Another "Nightside" ?

Simon Green is fun again.

To be clear - I love Green's "Nightside" series, enjoyed "Drinking Midnight Wine", am O.K. with Ishmael Jones, tolerate the Droods, and detest the Carnacki Institute. This new book, with a new lead character, feels very much like the "Nightside" series, and while Gideon Sable is no John Taylor, he's close enough to have made this a satisfying and entertaining read.

To be fair, the book has the Nightside weaknesses. Like John Taylor, Gideon always has
Madison Estes
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to #Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review the latest by Simon R. Green, "The Best Thing You Can Steal",

This story is like the movie "Now You See Me" meets Harry Potter, with a dash of the wackiness of The Umbrella Academy. Five peculiar characters plan to break into the vault of a sadistic collector of exotic magical items. A ghost that can move through walls and talk to other spirits. A nearly indestructible man powered by stolen angel halos. A woman who can
Marty Tool
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to a new series, I hope. If you like Mr. Green's previous work, you'll like this. This has enjoyable main and secondary characters, snarky conversation between those characters, clever use of sci-fi\magical doodads, and a full plot told in four different Acts. Enjoyable quick read, looking forward to his next book. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a great read. ...more
Susanna
The Best Thing You Can Steal is the first book in Gideon Sable UF series by Simon R. Green, a British fantasy author of several series and dozens of books. I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The book takes place in modern London that is full of supernatural and paranormal in ways that isn’t really explained. They simply are. The sole point of view character is Gideon Sable, a thief and con-artist wearing someone else’s face, who’s about to pull the heist of hi
Alexandra
Mar 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2021
I received this book from the publisher at no cost.

If you have read any of Simon R Green's Nightsider books, or his Hawk and Fisher, then you already have a sense of what this book is like. Whether you enjoy that or not is a different matter - Green has a definite style, and it's on display here. (There's a level to which it's true of the Deathstalker books, too, although they have a whole other thing going on as well.)

Green's style happens to work very well for me, as a rule, now that I know
Jae
Mar 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was an enjoyable book to read. The story follows a thief, Gideon Sable (yes thief agenda manifests bc the identity itself is stolen), as he gathers up an unlikely crew of awfully powerful and renowned misfits in their own rights, to take on an impossible heist. Set in a magical London, with supernatural, biblical creatures and artifacts, The Best Thing You Can Steal was a thrilling tale to read about!

The Character work on the entire team was spectacular, all of them had unique and different
Pile By the Bed
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was ok
Simon R Green is a prolific English science fiction and fantasy author with plenty of well loved series to his name including the Nightside and Deathstalker series. The Best Thing You Can Steal can be read as a stand alone but given it is subtitled as “A Gideon Sable Novel” if is likely to be the start of another long running urban fantasy franchise.
The main character of The Best Thing You Can Steal is called Gideon Sable but is not actually the famous master thief. Rather it is another person,
Annie
Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Best Thing You Can Steal is a standalone urban fantasy novella (and I hope) the start of a new series by Simon R. Green. Released 6th April 2021 by Severn House, it's 192 pages and is available in hardcover, audio, and ebook versions. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

Simon Green will be familiar t
Kayla (krakentoagoodbook)
This was really fun! It definitely reminded me a lot of the Nightside series. It feels really gritty and noir-esque, it's set in London, and the plot/characters feel like they could fit right in with the Nightside. This story is on the shorter side, but I feel really satisfied with the story overall. It's quick to read, and I thought the pacing was great (it certainly kept me interested the entire time).

This story is told in 4 acts - assembling the crew, planning the heist, doing the heist, and
Judy Lesley
Mar 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
I unhappily parted ways with Simon R. Green some time back when I just wasn't enjoying his books any longer. This first book in a new series has a title that just screams LOOK AT ME so I did and found myself intrigued. This was fun to read because of the lighthearted way it's written plus I wanted to know how Gideon Sable, master thief, was going to pull off the biggest heist in this magical London setting. Be careful when you walk down those steps to the Underground; you may be going further un ...more
S.J. Higbee
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’m not generally a huge fan of fantasy heist adventures. It takes serious writing chops to successfully build up the tension within an ensemble crew and make me go on caring, given that I don’t innately sympathise with anti-heroes. But if anyone was going to be able to pull me into such a story, then I knew it would be Green, which his pacey writing, strong characters and tongue-in-cheek humour that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

My instincts were right. This was just what I needed. Gideon i
Bonnie DeMoss
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book takes place in the magical underworld of modern London, much like Harry Potter. However, this is an adult story with a darker bend. The protagonist is Gideon Sable, a thief and con-artist, who apparently is not the actual Gideon Sable, but another thief using his identity. He is determined to pull off an elaborate heist and take down an evil collector of rare magical items, Fredric Hammer. Gideon is accompanied by his ex-girlfriend Annie Anybody, who can charm technology, the Damned, wh ...more
Vivienne
“Welcome to London, but not as you know it. A place where magics and horror run free, wonders and miracles are everyday things, and the dark streets are full of very shadowy people . . .“

My thanks to Canongate Books Severn House for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘The Best Thing You Can Steal’ by Simon R. Green in exchange for an honest review.

This novel is the start of his new series featuring thief and conman, Gideon Sable. Simon R. Green excels at these relatively short, dynamic urban fantasies tha
HappyBookWorm2020
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-shelf
I enjoyed reading this book by Simon R. Green, who also authored the Nightside books. This book, the first of a new series, appears to take place in the same setting as the Nightside books - one with normal London, and unnoticed by most people, a place where magic and monsters are real. This book is about a heist for an impossible machine acquired by 'the worst man in the world', Fredric Hammer - who turned out to be quite a villain.

The main character, Gideon Sable, is a thief who specializes
Mike
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The words "Simon R. Green" on the cover led me to expect that there would be disturbing amounts of violence and other disturbing things within, and also that it would be a well-written story with a heroic arc. All of this was, in fact, the case.

An optimistic thief and con-man who has recently taken on the pre-existing identity of Gideon Sable recruits a largely supernatural heist crew to rip off the worst man in the world. I have to say, a heist doesn't have to have a victim who deserves to los
Meghan
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was received as an ARC from Canongate Books - Severn House in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

From the description, I did not know what to expect from this book. It sounded very interesting and unique than most psychological thrillers but oh did this book blow my mind. I was however confused at first due to the out of the box concept of stealing items that are unknown to others. Throughout the chapters I kept wondering
Dave
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advanced Reading Copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and Cannongate books.

Sometimes when I start reading an ARC book that I requested, I forget the reason what drew me to request the book in the first place. But a few pages, in I was reminded of the reason - it must have had the word “heist” in the description! Anyway, I’m glad that i did request it.

Yes, this is a heist story. But it’s a heist set in a London underground world where magic, ghosts, undead and demons all exist. It
Phrynne
Apr 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-2021
I had not read anything by this author before but I enjoy urban fantasy, magic, and books set in London, so it should have been perfect reading for me.

Many authors have used the idea of a magical 'lost' London and some of them are among my favourite books. Somehow I felt this author did not exploit the idea well enough. A paragraph at the beginning of each chapter did not do it for me.

I liked the characters well enough although the MC was not especially well developed. I thought the Wildcard an
Penny
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
I’ve been a fan of this author for many years which all started when I read the Nightside series. I followed him with his new series with Eddie Drood and Ishmael Jones, each series losing me a little. I got this book not realizing it was the first in a new series just thinking it was a new Ishamel. OK, I was ready to try something new hoping it would lose me a little more. I was immediately drawn into this book, and I was so happy to see something similar to the Nightside but not too similar. Th ...more
Annarella
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Huge fan of the author here and very happy I was able to read this short novel as I thoroughly enjoyed it.
There are elements of one of my favorite book (Gaiman's Neverwhere) as as there's a parallel London where magic is strong and weird and magical characters populate it.
The author is a master storyteller and I loved the world building, the excellent character development (the Damned above all) and the fast paced plot.
There's plenty of humor and there's a dark side to this funny story.
It's high

• Beyond the Sea of Storms (Accidental Sorcerers Book 6)
  • Calculated Risks (InCryptid, #10)
  • His & Hers
  • The Russian Cage (Gunnie Rose #3)
  • The Space Between Worlds
  • Call for the Dead (George Smiley #1)
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once, #1)
  • A Question of Navigation
  • Questland
  • Shade Cursed: A Druidverse Urban Fantasy Novel (The Shadow Changeling Series Book 1)
  • The Good Sister
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
  • Miss Benson's Beetle
  • For All Who Hunger: Searching for Communion in a Shattered World
  • Between Two Kingdoms: A Memoir of a Life Interrupted
  • The Savage Instinct
  • Lesson in Red
  • Walking The Razor (Montague & Strong Case Files #12)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted