Start by marking “Froggy Plays Soccer” as Want to Read:
Froggy Plays Soccer

Froggy Plays Soccer (Froggy)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  624 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
It's the day of the big game, and Froggy is ready. His soccer team is playing the Wild Things for the City Cup. All Froggy has to do is remember the rule: "Head it! Boot it! Knee it! Shoot it! BUT DON'T USE YOUR HANDS!" But Froggy's busy doing cartwheels and picking daisies. Uh oh, Froggy! Here comes the ball! Budding soccer players and Froggy's many fans will welcome Frog ...more
Published March 19th 2001 by Puffin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Froggy Plays Soccer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Froggy Plays Soccer

Audrey Evans
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This engaging book shows the importance of teamwork through animal fantasy. The team chant "Head it! Boot it! Knee it! Shoot it! But don't use your hands!" is carried throughout the book providing an interactive element of the text. Froggy needed the support of his dad/assistant coach and his teammates in order to fully contribute to the game and win the City Cup. This is a lesson we can all relate to; we need a team to support and work alongside us to succeed.
Angie
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, goodness.

A children's librarian. Done some storytimes. If I had a nickel for all the times I've observed a student picking their nose ...

I am going to memorize the chant and use it from how on. "DON'T USE YOUR HANDS!"

ReadtheShelf Challenge
Emma
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the little chant. My grandma used sing it to me all the time.
Erin Dianis
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of a little green frog, excited for his big soccer game. Froggy's morning starts off with a pep talk from this father, the assistant coach, about what to do and what not to do; "DON'T USE YOUR HANDS!" is repeated over and over to Froggy just so he doesn't forget. Once the game started, Froggy was too busy picking daisies, doing cartwheels, and tying his shoes to pay attention to the game in front of him. His team was in the lead until the other team scored on a free kic ...more
Melissa Namba
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: coplin
a cute story about froggy and his soccer game. there is kind of a play by play with emphasis on the no hands rule. kids will enjoy it.
Morgan
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Recommend Grade Level: Early Primary/ Primary

With larger text and few sentences on a page, this would be a good book for kindergartners or first graders who are beginning to really read. The book has bright illustrations and comes with the moral that you can always overcome your mistakes.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 9/20/11 -

I don't know that I liked this very much. I still can't decide. It was definitely fun to read out loud and Julia liked it more than I thought she would.
The story is about a father and son frog who coach and play on a soccer team, respectively. I liked the son's mistake toward the end of the game but I didn't like that he turned that around and all of a sudden was the hero... by doing nothing. It's not glaring but it doesn't sit well with it. It seems to me that quit
Courtney Flynn
I thought that overall this was a pretty cute book about soccer. I think that the little song they sing, "Head it! Boot it! Knee it! Shoot it! But don't use your hands!" Will definitely help remind my three year old not to use his hands on the rare occasion that he forgets to do so on the field. However, I do not like that on two separate occasions in the book that the father frog calls to his son and his son yells back at him "Wha-a-a-a-a-t?" Where are the manners? Where is the little boy's res ...more
Sarah Kat
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read a book about sports.
Renee
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paw
Froggy has to keep repeating the phrase "Head It, Boot It, Knee It, Shoot It...but don't use your hands!" while playing soccer. The kids can repeat this along with the reader for a more interactive reading of the book.

Some funny parts when Froggy is caught picking his nose when he is supposed to be paying attention to the game and when he tries to hide his hands in various ways to help him remember not to use his hands when playing soccer.

Good for preschool sports theme.
Lucia
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My 3 year old was picking up the ball in soccer and often not even focusing on the game. Yes, this is totally normal for a 3 year old, but I thought if we could read a book about soccer it might encourage him to play the game and follow the rules. Well, I hit the jackpot because Froggy was having the same problems! After reading this light-hearted and fun book my son is a soccer star! No kidding!
Rosa Cline
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, soccer, 2016, 2017
Froggy the frog is excited to play soccer, his dad is the assistant coach and teaches him a small song to sing... reminding him to not use his hands. His coach encourages the team and they are doing well, but Froggy forgets and uses his hands allowing the other team to tie the game up. He was very embarrassed BUT he went on to play. He played his best along with his team. Great book to teach it's okay to goof up every now and then just get back up and do your best.
Tiffany
This book has really cute illustrations. A teacher could use this book as a read aloud and allow students to practice the different word expressions. It's also a book to help students learn to read with excitement when they come to the correct punctuation mark. This book has great repetition words.
Katy Houseman
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Froggy has an important soccer game today, and he has to remember to not use his hands. He made the mistake of using his hands, but he redeems himself by kicking the winning goal. This is a good book to help students realize that mistakes happen and that doing your best works. Great character building book.
Tiffany Abston
Froggy Plays Soccer is full of teamwork. The team must learn to work together if they want to win. Their team chant carries them through the story as they must remind each other what is and is not allowed. Students will see the importance of teamwork and working together for a common goal and they can see what happens when the do just that.
Emily Levings
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-t-l-2368
London, J. (1999). Froggy Plays Soccer. NY: Scholastic, Inc.

There are a series of books like this one where Froggy does something, and in this book Froggy is playing soccer. I liked this book because I played soccer as a kid, and I wasn't very good. I think this would be a good book for children ages 6-8. I enjoyed reading this book because I could relate to it.
Monica Williams
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The always charming and funny Froggy continues being a success, even when he is not always being one. With the signature humor and charm of the series Froggy takes the field. Sports fans and just those little ones who like a funny story will find much love with the frog who is sometimes red in the face instead of green. The books always make for a great read-aloud for storytime.
Marit Thostenson
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rhyming and rhythm throughout the book draw the younger readers in. It is an easy first read for young ones and continues to leave smiles on faces for older children and adults when remembering childhood days.
Elijah Schnetzler
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Froggy Plays Soccer
I liked this book because of how the pictures were done. I liked the way the characters looked and I also liked the ways the story was sequenced. These books are really entertaining and interesting for young readers.
Dolly
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Froggy is learning to play soccer. As always, he does something that makes him more red in the face than green. It's a typical Froggy book and our girls really like them, especially the onomatopoeia...Flop, flop, flop.
Gianni Llano
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
It's Froggy's big soccer game and he's looking for a win. It sure wasn't easy, but the team and Froggy managed to out score the Wild Things. The story is great for children that are into soccer or just love talking animals.
Asha Smith
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship
This cute story about froggy playing soccer. He is so nervous he is going to mess up the game for his team so he keeps repeating not to use his hands and only head and feet. This book is a great book to read about teamwork and working together for a common goal.
Brandin
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture book/fiction

Topic/Theme: Humor, sports, learning, focus, concentration, responsibility

Grade Level: K-3

Classroom Use: Read aloud, independent reading

Comments: Good book for talking about being part of a team and concentrating on what you're doing.
Beth
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Froggy and the team are drilled not to use hands on the soccer ball, but he accidently does in the game. Froggy makes up for this game by scoring the winning goal. They are allowed to use hands to give high fives!
Michelle Higgins
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Froggy Plays Soccer is a great book for making connections. This is also a good book for character development. In the book Froggy makes mistakes, but he tries his best. Primary students really enjoy the Froggy series.
Kayla Aiello
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked the sound effects after sentences!
I think this is a great book to read to children because it engages them with the noises he makes while performing certain actions and allows them to use their imagination when thinking of sounds made when activities are done.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Froggy plays in the city soccer tournament. His dad gives him helpful hints along the way.

Illustrations are okay.
David price
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
a lovely father/son tale about team work and honor.
Carolyn
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2-5 yr old boys
Recommended to Carolyn by: library
Shelves: for-toddlers, audio
Cute story and good audio reader but a bit short for a CD. I prefer the audio collections to just one short children's story.
Ange
May 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another classic Froggy...

"Kick it, head it, knee it, boot it, But DON'T USE YOUR HANDS!" Our kids love it!
  • Dino-Soccer
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Duck & Goose, Here Comes the Easter Bunny!
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
  • Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee
  • Bear in a Square
  • Bear's New Friend
  • Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet (Henry and Mudge, #20)
  • Will I Have a Friend?
  • Doctor Ted
  • Duck at the Door
  • 5-Minute Marvel Stories
  • Anansi and the Talking Melon
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...

Froggy (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Froggy Gets Dressed