Start by marking “Over the Faery Hill (A Magical Midlife Misadventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
Over the Faery Hill (A Magical Midlife Misadventure, #1)

Over the Faery Hill

(A Magical Midlife Misadventure #1)

A mountain of regrets. A bargain with a mischievous faery. Could tinkering with her past create a better future?
Joey Whitmore longs to escape her dead-end world. Facing a midlife crisis at age forty-two and still living with her mother, getting fired from yet another job is the proverbial last straw. So when a fae trickster in human guise offers a chance at changing her hi
Published October 26th 2020 by Elements Unleashed

To ask other readers questions about Over the Faery Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Faery Hill

Start your review of Over the Faery Hill (A Magical Midlife Misadventure, #1)
Jennifer Hart
Jan 10, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
What is Paranormal Women's Fiction anyway? It’s Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Supernatural Cozy Mystery, and Women’s Fiction all tossed into the crock pot together until the flavors blend and harmonize into something amazing and new.

It's a tale as old as time, muffin-topping out of its skinny jeans and needing an extra cup of coffee to make it through the day. It's a woman who loves the hell out of her family but craves adventure and romance and all the fixings.

For me, it was a reason to g
Valerie (Cats Luv Coffee)
What if you could pinpoint the one moment in your life where everything went wrong? Would you go back and fix it even knowing that it could change everything? That’s the bargain laid out to Joey. Over forty, overweight, she’s been fired from yet another dead-end job and nothing to show for her life except a busted wrist from a car accident in her teens that ruined her life. She was on her way to the Olympics as a gymnast, but that accident took everything from her. When she encounters Robin Good ...more
Bookgyrl
Joey Whitmore is over 40, a bit overweight and - again - without a job. She is divorced and has a mountain of regret after a car accident as a teenager. That car accident changed her life, for after injuring her wrist she could never compete as a gymnast again. And Joey is convinced her life has turned out wrong after that.

Enter Robin Goodfellow, who reveals to Joey he is a faery prince and can give her what she wants (a chance to go back in time to change the past) in exchange for a favor.

Wil
Patrice  Veilleux Roth
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative Timetravel PLUS Great Characters

What an imaginatively created story! The quality of the writing is a joy to discover on Kindle Unlimited in the Women’s Paranormal genre. I loved the concept, the story line and the characters. The way that Joey manages to out maneuver the handsome fae at his own bargain was a brilliant plot twist. Well done, I Can’t wait to read the next adventure in the series.
Tj
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good storyline

While I liked most of the characters and storyline, an area that was significantly problematic for me was the deadmaming and misgendering of one of the characters. I understand the pov is first person and from the main character who knew that character pretransition, but it really was disconcerting and interfered with my enjoyment of the story.
Elisa
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Over the faery hill was funny and delightful... Robin Goodfellow what an awesome character, and Darcy the quintessential best friend along with Grandma B who I loved and then we come to tumbling Joey who took a really different route to finding herself and in the end she realised the most important thing, that she was already right there the whole time she just needed to learn to love exactly who she was bum wrist and all.
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Paranormal-y Romantic

Over the Faery Hill begins the Magical Midlife Misadventures series with a fascinating concept – if you could change one event in your life, would you and could you handle the changes that would result by altering the timeline of not only yourself but others in your life as well.

I think we’ve all wanted a “do-over”, sometimes just wishful thinking other times an almost desperate longing. Joey falls into the second category. She is convinced that one event prevent
Margaret Gore
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Over The Faery Hill' Book 1 of the Magical Midlife Misadventures
Author Jennifer L. Hart
Narrator Jacqueline Rendell
Length 8 hours 3 mins

Jennifer thank you for giving me the opportunity to listen to and review your brilliant and funny book, I loved it and was so hooked I finished it in just 1 day.

This is the first book in Jennifer L, Hart's new series, Magical Midlife Adventure's, and what a great start. I love her style of writing Jennifer has created a realistic story full of fantasy, magic, rom
Sue-Dee Numb
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is AMAZING

Make this your next read! I absolutely loved this book. I could empathise with a middle aged Joey who feels like the meaning of her life as an Olympic gymnast ended after a car wreck when she was 16. Since then life held no purpose she married but that ended in a way no-one would expect. Heck here she is middle aged she's living with her mum who it seems it's perpetually disappointed by Joey she has no career, she can't hold a job down for more than 6 months. If only she had never
Anaba
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has been faced with the question "what if...?" In this gorgeous fantasy book, Jennifer L. Hart gets to the heart of the matter. The story is not only convincing through its humour and fantasy, but also shows an unexpected depth of self-criticism and self-acceptance. With her charming writing style, the author quickly drew me into the story.

Joey Whitmore knows the day that changed her life. When the charismatic fae prince Robin offers her a chance to change her past, the temptation is gr
Katherine
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh, to have three wishes to go back in time and change what happened. Is there a catch, you betcha.
Joey Whitmore is in her 40's and has regrets, and boy have they ruined her life, and along comes a far trickster to offer her a chance to redo some of it. Oh yes, all her dreams can come true, if only she can change this one event and her life would be amazing the way it should have been.
What could go wrong. This is a story of a woman's self discovery that happiness is in her hands, she has been ha
Andrea Stoeckel
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"'All’s well that ends well. Hogwash. Nothing ever really ends except in faery tales.'-Notable quotable from Grammy B."

What if? What if you could go back and "fix" your life? Would you? Could you live with the consequences? Josephine "Joey" Whitmore has spent her entire life thinking that if the "what if" never happened everything would be so different. And after losing her last job....she's had it.Her car's impounded; Mom's is on its last legs, and Grammy B's is older than dirt. She's divorced,
Stacy Brooks
Mar 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Over the Faery HIll is a fun story with lots of lessons to be learned. The main character, Joey, is a middle aged woman who feels like she is cursed. After a bad accident as a teen, an injury ruined her chances of becoming an Olympic star. Instead of adapting or finding something else to focus on for her life, she stays stuck in the past and in regret, and lives what she thinks is a miserable life. Then she meets a faery who bargains with her and offers her a chance to change the past. It's a fu ...more
Jeanie Jackson
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-fan-uf
I love the way Jennifer L. Hart makes Over the Faery Hill, the first book in A Magical Midlife Misadventures, feel so realistic while maintaining the classics of a fairy tale. There are the expected elements in this contemporary fairy tale, the story brings enough twists that it stays fresh and pulls the reading into the book. Women in midlife are the rage right now but Ms. Hart is not new to focusing on women who are no longer fresh and dewy; they have character and experience that brings depth ...more
MommaT
Apr 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fae prince, magic, and time-travelling chaos!

Ever daydream about what might have been? Think about how your life could be better if ___ did/didn't happen? Well, that's what you find when Joey, a 40ish woman thinking she's a "loser", with the luck of Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plum (complete with life guidelines from a "grandma Mazur") meets sexy, mysterious, flirty faery prince, Robin.
The chaotic time-traveling situations orchestrated by Robin made me giggle, groan, and ache for misguided Jo
Linda
Mar 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Jennifer L. Hart's book, Over the Faery Hill. Joey Whitmore hates her life and blames it on the accident that ended her promising gymnastics career. She meets Robin Goodfellow, a fae prince, and promises him a favor if he'll take her back in time to change that fateful day--October 3, 1996. This fantasy is full of adventure, regrets, uncommon family relationships, friendship, and the longing for a better life. This story reminded me of Marty's adventures in Back to the Future when even ...more
Barbara Hackel
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When a 40+ year old woman has nothing to show for herself except an impounded VW and being fired from yet another job, what does she do? Look for another job of course! This time she is so far out of her comfort zone that she actually makes a bargain with the devil...no not that red guy with horns, but it might as well be him. Instead it is a Faery Prince. The resulting story will have you laughing, holding your breath, and crying.
Jennifer Hart has written a fabulous story that was nearly imposs
Milian Glafira
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A mysterious urban fae story of highest quality ...
I know the legend of Puck, of Robin Goodfellow but this was unique and a bit creepy. It kept me reading through the night, except for the pause I had to make because halfway through it I got this supereerily strong deja vu feeling that I had read or seen this exact book before, but that's impossible, right!!? Right?? It was creepy, like cold chills creepy... Not sure what she did with this story. But it's everything you need and the ending again
Biggs_bookcase
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love paranormal stories because the author can take liberties to make each world so different. This is a midlife crisis story wrapped up in fairy magic. I love that the main character was portrayed differently the most on the pwf leads. She isn’t and doesn’t become a magical being but she gets wrapped up in fae craziness none the less. This is a cozy mystery type feel with huge life’s not always greener on the other side lessons. Amusing, entertaining and unique. The narrator did a fabulous jo ...more
Catrina
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Joey is living her life full of regrets. Believing that one stupid decision many years ago ruined her chance at happiness and set her off on a path of bad luck. But, what if she could go back in time and change it?

I absolutely loved this story by Jennifer L. Hart. Her characters are so relatable and down to earth. I really hope we see more of Joey’s story.

Jacqueline Rendell kept me entertained with her performance. A great narration.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and
Tricia S.
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Joey just can't seem to get a break. Now divorced and living in her old childhood home with her mother. Joey meets Robin, that's when things get weird. Robin offers Joey a way to change her life, will she take his offer. I immediately liked Joey, i can relate to her and Grandma Bea seems like a sassy old bitty, i love it. Jennifer L. Hart is a new author to me, it won't be the last time i'll be reading her books. I know there are other books in this series, which excites me. So many new PWF book ...more
Juniper Greer-Ashe
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun read. The premise is super creative (who wouldn't want to time travel and fix past mistakes?) the characters are epically awesome (Robin! Grammy B!) and the protagonist is hilarious, but also endearingly human and entirely relatable. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this book, and I desperately want to know what's going to happen in the next one.

Heather Chargualaf
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joey is a 40+ woman with an injury from teen years that knocked her out of her Olympic dreams. She blames that on all her bad luck. Failed marriage, fired from all her dead end jobs and living at home with her mom.
Now Robin Goodfellow comes along and offers an opertunity of a life time. Will making a change make all great.
Love Grammy B and Darcy best friend that everyone wants. Great quick read and can not wait for book 2.
Diane
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Joey Whitmore was well on her way to becoming an elite gymnast until an accident changed her life. Now she's over forty, overweight, divorced, jobless, and down on herself. Then she gets a second chance. The story is imaginative and funny, and I liked the theme of Joey learning from her past mistakes and taking responsibility for her life choices. If you like fantasy and an imaginative time travel story with a likeable heroine You'll enjoy this one! ...more
Virginia Night
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Utterly delightful

At 40+ most of us have a thing or two that we would have done differently if we had to do it over again. I love this very real heroine with beautiful flagrant flaws abounding. This story gets to the heart of what’s real and important in a life and at the same time shows there is hope for change and if that change is feeling better about ourselves, even better! Read it, you will end it with a smile and wanting more!
Suzanne Irving
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Terrific fantasy book

The thing that first attracted me to this book was a middle aged heroine as I’m middle aged myself and I am sort of sick of reading books about young, beautiful and rich people falling in love. In the end this book was so much more than I had thought it would be. It’s a terrific, very enjoyable and well written story that I enjoyed a lot. I can’t wait to read the next one and read the continuing adventures of these characters.
Trudy
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I loved this story so much because it had so many layers!

Joey thought then when her Olympic dream ended so did her life so she never accomplished anything. Thinking that was the catalyst she would do anything to alter the moment that changed her life forever.

When that chance comes around she jumps on it and the misadventure that unfolds teaches her that things happen for a reason and change is up to you!

This is the story of how Joey gets her groove back and I loved it!
florence bass
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Different from what I expected but awesome getting ready to read the next book!!!!!

I really liked the quotes from Grammy B.Smart lady !! 😀 Everyone thinks They want more Or should I've done it this way or that be happy with what you've got look around somebody else's always got it worse and if you want more make it happen Good book can't wait to read the next 1 and the next 1 and the next 1 please😃😃😃
Heather
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an audible copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.. The only criticism I have is the voice used for the main character's best friend. she sounded 80 rather than 40. Putting that hangup aside, I absolutely loved this story. I thoroughly enjoy reading about the consequences of changing things in the past and how it will affect the future. The characters are well developed and I love the humorous side of them! ...more
K
Apr 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I just recently started listening to this type of Paranormal stories and Jennifer L Hart is a new favorite author in this genre!
This is funny no matter your age & relatable to those of us who are not spring chickens anymore. :) :) The world. & character building were wonderful. I won't mention spoilers due to it being a 1st in a series but it is a DEFINITE MUST LISTEN.
Jennifer L Hart is an author to keep an eye on for sure!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Write Hook: A Paranormal Women’s Fiction Novel: My So-Called Mystical Midlife Book One
  • Magical New Beginnings (Midlife Witchery, #1)
  • A Ghoulish Midlife (Witching After Forty, #1)
  • Silver Spells: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Novel (Midlife Elementals Book 1)
  • Gypsy Magic (Poppy's Potions #1)
  • Karma's Spell
  • Cashmere Curses (Wanda's Witchery #1)
  • Making Midlife Magic (Forty is Fabulous, #1)
  • Stealing Time (Crow's Feet Coven Book 3)
  • We Witch You A Merry Christmas (Midlife in Mosswood #3)
  • Midlife Blues (Not Too Late #2)
  • That Good Hex (Singing Falls Witches, #2)
  • Jealousy's a Witch (Midlife in Mosswood #2)
  • My Midlife Crisis, My Rules (Good To The Last Death, #4)
  • Mind Over Magical Matters (Midlife Witchery, #2)
  • Midlife Mojo (Not Too Late, #3)
  • Beguiled (Betwixt & Between #3)
  • Cookies for Satan (Witching After Forty)
*** Aka Gwen Rivers. Aka @midlifemysterymaven***
USA Today bestselling author Jennifer L. Hart writes about characters that cuss, get naked, and often make poor but hilarious life choices. A native New Yorker, Jenn now lives in the mountains of North Carolina with her imaginary friends. Her works to date include the Damaged Goods mystery series and the Magical Midlife Misadventures.

A Magical Midlife Misadventure (2 books)
  • The Fae Side of Forty (Magical Midlife Misadventures, #2)

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...