Start by marking “The Skeleton in the Closet” as Want to Read:
The Skeleton in the Closet

The Skeleton in the Closet

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Bam! Bam! Bam!A skeleton's knockingat the door.Creak . . . creak . . . creak . . .

Now he's going up the steps -- but this skeleton isn't looking for what you'd expect. There are both snickers and shivers awaiting readers in this wickedly funny rhyming story that is sure to tickle funny bones.
Published August 5th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Skeleton in the Closet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skeleton in the Closet

Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Bam, Bam, Bam!”

What would you do if a skeleton came a’knocking one dark night?

Alice Schertle’s Skeleton in the Closet tells the story of one boy’s adventure when a rattling, cold to the bone skeleton arrives on his doorstep in search of….well it may just surprise you what Mr. Bones is on the hunt for. Haha…I’m not telling. :D

”White bones,
bright bones,
night bones glowing,
bare bones, scare bones, teeth all showing
in a big, wide, petrified, skeleton grin.”

The skeleton’s slow, creaky, step-by-step,
Carrie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a jagged pace for a read-aloud, but I love the progression of it. Brief spoilers ahead for a quick read:

(view spoiler)
Jenn
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone gave this book to our family as a secret halloween gift. It is one of the most read books in our house. Even during the summer months my little ones want it read (again). It's a great way to bring halloween into your house without being too scary. The story and pictures are both very cute.
Heather
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween
37 months - O decided that June was a great month for reading Halloween books so this is one of 24 we borrowed from the library. This is a fabulous book. It's not really scary it's in fact quite funny with a great fun rhyme to it. I'd love to own this one for our collection... we'll see.
Maggie
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sons' favorite book. You can't find this for sale for a normal price anywhere! I don't know why! We just check it out of the library over and over and over . . . :)
Kimberly Krey
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as kids books go, this one became an instant favorite! It's written in fun rhyme (we like to rap it), and the kids are engaged from beginning to end.
Second Street
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The class really enjoyed the book. Some parts scary some parts are cute.
Melanie
A clever rhyming story of a young boy who is visited by a skeleton on the lookout for clothes to cover his bare bones.

A great read-aloud story.
Allie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PICTURE BOOK 5
This book would be a fun one to use around Halloween with its sense of suspense for young students. Humor and poetry are weaved throughout which add to the book and its quality.
Miekka
We loved this silly spooky book. It will be one of the books we read every Halloween from now on.
LenaRei B Lee
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
The kids love this book. A good bedtime book.
Yolanda
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story for the kids.
Rita
Nov 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
This is a Sanjay favorite. He can't get enough of this book. The ending takes you by surprise.
Pam
Mar 24, 2015
Gabe
Jan 04, 2011
Tiffany
rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2013
Carolyn
Oct 05, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Alice Schertle has written more than 40 books, mostly for children. A mother and former elementary school teacher, Ms. Schertle is a graduate of the University of Southern California. Many of her most famous works are poetic in nature, though she writes about a wide variety of topics.
More about Alice Schertle