Start by marking “Reserved for Murder (Booklovers B&B Mysteries #2)” as Want to Read:
Reserved for Murder (Booklovers B&B Mysteries #2)

Reserved for Murder

(Booklovers B&B Mysteries #2)

More bloodshed at a bibliophiles' bed-and-breakfast as Victoria Gilbert's delightful series continues.

Meeting your favorite author in the flesh can be the chance of a lifetime. But for one unlucky fan, her plum place in line at a book signing will lead to her untimely demise.
Beaufort, North Carolina, is home to Chapters Bed and Breakfast, owned and operated by former schoo
Expected publication: June 8th 2021 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Reserved for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reserved for Murder

Start your review of Reserved for Murder (Booklovers B&B Mysteries #2)
Tina
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I highly anticipated reading Reserved for Murder because of how much I enjoyed the first book in the series. But I was disappointed. Charlotte owner of Chapters Bed and Breakfast was welcoming a new author to spend the weekend there with three of her biggest fans.to have one of her fans murdered was an exciting plot.
But the subplot was dull and not as exciting with Charlotte's ex-spy neighbor being involed
In espionage and bringing another innocent friend into it was not exciting.Bringing in a n
eda
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Drinking game: take a shot every time someone says "he/she softened their tone."
From the synopsis of Reserved For Murder, I was really excited to start reading it! A BnB, and bookstore sounds like the perfect setting for a mystery!! One problem I had with this book is that the story was dominantly the characters speaking. There needed to be more 'showing'. Everything was being explained and I found it frustrating because the I can-along with every other reader, can read between the lines and un
Vintagebooklvr
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
2 1/2 stars. A solid mystery based on the cut-throat writing and publishing industry. It was interesting to see fanfiction being mentioned as a factor in writing and publishing. I enjoyed the characters.

However, the subplot involving spies and a short-lived love affair decades ago seemed far-fetched. Also, I didn’t like how some characters voiced that a stalker ex-husband really loved his wife when he attempted to find out who killed her. So what. That doesn’t diminish the terror and danger of p
Marta is Reading
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think the premise and the plot of the book were quite intriguing, but overall it fell flat for me. Much of the story was moved along via dialog, and I think it would have benefited from some more world building. I received a free ARC from NetGalley.
Jerri Cachero
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely B&B, a woman looking for a new start after tragedy, a senior retired CIA operative and her adorable Yorkie , a decades old case of spy intrigue , a handsome mystery man and a present day murder are not quite what Charlotte Reed had in mind for a new quiet life. Now, she and her friend Ellen and Yorkie Shandy are in the middle of a romance author's murder!

What a great book! So many things to like - Charlotte who is. a relatable main character, quirky and likable supporting characters, a
Jodi | Bibliostatic
r/suggestmeabook: I want a cozy mystery steeped in publishing and fandom focused on solving a murder.

First, let’s get the disclosure out of the way: I didn’t read the first book, so some of my issues might be solved by reading it. But it won’t cure all the ills I perceive in this cozy mystery.

tldr: Flat characterization; tell, don’t show; hard-to-swallow situations

Victoria Gilbert has posed a good puzzle. Most of the clues are there at the beginning, although the key clue isn’t given until towar
Lisa Morin
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I honestly couldn’t put this book down. What a whirlwind story, beginning with a wonderful stay at the lovely Chapters, and of course, ending in murder.
There’s nothing I love more than reading a well written book filled with colorful characters who always make me smile.
I’m anxious to see what will happen next.
Annette Jordan
Reserved for Murder is the second in Victoria Gilbert's charming Booklovers B&B series, set at the Chapters B&B in Beaufort, North Carolina. Owner Charlotte Reed is a hosting popular author who is queen of the historical romance scene , but when another of the guests, who happens to be not just head of her fan club, but also secretly the ghost writer for the latest instalment of her best selling series, winds up dead, the hunt for a killer begins. It seems like there are plenty of people with a ...more
Sarah Beebe
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this book- a book-themed B&B, an author's retreat, a fun coastal town, murder, nosy neighbors... It had the all of the elements to make a great cozy mystery. Unfortunately, the story fell flat for me.

The author writes books similar to the Outlander series, and our protagonist Charlotte, along with several of her book club members, mention several times that they don't care for romance novels. It's always said in a way that feels a bit snooty and judgemental, as though roman
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reserved for Murder by Victoria Gilbert

After reading the publishers blurb and seeing that this book takes place in Beaufort NC, one of my favorite places to visit and it’s only about 2 hours away, I had to read this book. Set in the beautiful old money part of NC sits a bed and breakfast that was built in the 18th century and owned by a former teacher Charlotte Reed.. There are usually many people who love to read booking rooms there due to the many events planned throughout the summer that brin
FMSWarrior
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A popular author is hosting a week-long retreat for herself and three fans at Chapters. While the author is doing for her Romance series, murder seems to be the theme of the week when one of the three fans who are spending the week with her is murdered. Charlotte and her neighbor Ellen are on the case and it turns out Ellen’s cousin has plans of his own as well.

With a slew of suspects, the ladies have their hands full trying to narrow it down to who had motive, means and opportunity. Slowly and
zoe  Hitchen
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Charlotte Reed inherited a B&B from her great aunt . The name of the guest house is Chapters and it has a library and hosts literary events , an author Amanda Nobel comes to visit with three of her avid fans. A murder occurs and Charlotte begins to investigate.

I had not read the initial book in the series, but did not find this an issue . All the aspects of this story, the book themed B&B and a cosy mystery / murder really appealed to me. Unfortunately I found it very lack lustre and missing som
Cynthia Moore
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Having enjoyed the first book in this series I was looking forward to this one. Overall I felt that it was just okay as if the author didn't really put a whole lot of effort into it. It was one of those books that I would look up in a few months and not remember if I had read it or not. There was nothing particularly engaging about the story line. It was fine if you want a story to be just mindless entertainment for a few hours. My main issue with the book was that the author gave one character ...more
Jan
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
cozy mystery, murder investigation, Bed and Breakfast, widow, amateur sleuth, friendship, family dynamics, small business, small town, North Carolina, author, fans, retired spies****
The murder mystery centers on an author's book signing at the B&B and one fan's appropriation of things. The other mystery relates to past espionage by both Charlotte's deceased aunt and her current neighbor. The sleuthing on both counts was pretty good as was the character development, but something present in the f
Christine Lussier
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm in between on my feelings towards Reserved for Murder. It was nice to be back with Charlotte & her neighbors, but something was just a bit "off". The story moves along just fine, the murderer is revealed at the end (perfect, so as to not have to read a story knowing the entire time who it was). The characters just seemed to be a bit at each other, disjointed in a way. I'm hoping Ms. Gilbert is not being pushed along as the author in the story was! A new interest in Charlotte's life will add ...more
Anjali
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Back to Chapters B&B, where Charlotte has an event involving a romance author and 3 die hard fans. When one fan is found dead, everyone is a suspect and Charlotte and her trusty neighbor Ellen investigate. There is a secondary storyline involving Ellen which also brings a romantic option into Charlotte’s life. But overall, the main mystery seemed less interesting than Book 1 and I was able to figure out the main suspect halfway through. It’s a nice cozy mystery but it didn’t wow me like I hoped. ...more
Laura Salas
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. I haven't read book #1 in the series, but this book stands alone just fine. Charlotte's a relatable character, and I love the book world that this takes place in. Charlotte does a couple of unbelievably dumb/risky things, which always annoys me. Other that that, it's a nice way to escape the real world for a few hours.

Review copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Brooklyn (Blogs Books)
2.5

Solidly mediocre. Acceptable cozy mystery, but the writing was unwieldy and the plot (and subplot) exceedingly predictable. Enjoyable, but if you want a cozy mystery I have better recommendations. (potentially a longer review to come...)

Thank you to NetGalley for providing this arc in exchange for an honest review.
Noreen Anastasia
Oct 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

A perfectly cozy mystery. I prefer my cozies to have a book theme, and a murder during a special author event is perfect. My only negative was the amount of times a murder that happened last summer was mentioned. But, the author would like to sell books; I get it.
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
I read the first book in the series, and it wasn’t great but I thought the series had potential. Unfortunately this second installment falls completely flat for me.

I received an ARC from NetGalley. The book will be released on June 21, 2021.
Dee Kendall
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to netgalley for the ARC of this book.

This book was written well, the story line was a little scattered for me, though. There are a lot of characters, and honestly, I pretty much knew who did it, so I ignored some minor characters story lines.
Shkolnikjx
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun cozy mystery set in the cut throat world of novelists (no pun intended!). The characters were fun and engaging, and I couldn’t wait to find out who the culprit was. A great read!
Vicki
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Combine a B&B, book store, author, and a mystery and you have the potential for a great read. My goal with reading is to be drawn in to the story; immerse myself in the whole experience. That being said, I just could not get in to this book. I never felt drawn in to the story, but rather a casual observer of events.

Thank you to NetGalley for an eARC.
Linda Rohde
Jodi McMaster
Nov 28, 2020
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2020

• Deadly Ever After (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #8)
  • Murder at the Lakeside Library (A Lakeside Library Mystery, #1)
  • Knitty Gritty Murder (A Knit & Nibble Mystery)
  • Deadly Delights: A Bookish Baker Mystery
  • Under the Cover of Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #6)
  • Deeds of the Deceitful (Hope Street Church Mysteries #6)
  • Ink and Shadows (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #4)
  • A Whisker of a Doubt: A Cat Cafe Mystery
  • Bait and Witch
  • The Lost Village
  • Bending the Paw (Paw Enforcement #9)
  • A Garland of Bones
  • A Catered Book Club Murder (A Mystery With Recipes)
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • Head Over Heels
  • The Sign of Death (A Victorian Book Club Mystery #2)
  • Berried Motives(Cranberry Cove # 6)
  • Fresh Brewed Murder (A Ground Rules Mystery #1)
Victoria Gilbert, raised in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountain, turned her early obsession with reading into a dual career as an author and librarian.

When not writing or reading, she likes to spend her time watching films, gardening, or traveling. She lives in North Carolina with her husband, son, and some very spoiled cats.

Victoria is a member of Sisters in Crime and Mystery Writers of Ameri

Booklovers B&B Mysteries (2 books)
  • Booked for Death (Booklovers B&B Mysteries #1)