Start by marking “Malibu Rising” as Want to Read:

Malibu Rising

Four famous siblings throw an epic party to celebrate the end of the summer. But over the course of twenty-four hours, their lives will change forever.

Malibu: August 1983. It's the day of Nina Riva's annual end-of-summer party, and anticipation is at a fever pitch. Everyone wants to be around the famous Rivas: Nina, the talented surfer and supermodel; brothers Jay and Hud,
Expected publication: May 25th 2021 by Ballantine Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 01, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win an early copy of MALIBU RISING — new from Taylor Jenkins Reid, bestselling author of Daisy Jones & The Six.

Nina Riva spent

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 15621 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 15 - Jan 30, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Malibu Rising, please sign up.
    Elena Leyva if you look alll the way at the bottom after it explains what the book is about it usually says.

Expected publication: May 27th 2021 by Hutchinson …more

Expected publication: May 27th 2021 by Hutchinson (less)

Start your review of Malibu Rising
    sarah xoxo
    Dec 25, 2019 marked it as unreleased  ·  review of another edition
    You say Taylor Jenkins Reid
    I say sold
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Aug 04, 2020 marked it as future-tbr
    Finally! The goods are here!

************

I swear I come here 15 times a day to find out if there's a cover, a proper blurb, or any other tidbits about this book.

description
    Sheyla ✎

What makes a book a great book? Is it writing? Is it the premise? Is it the characters? Or is it the author's voice? I don't know but I can tell you, I thought the Malibu Rising checked all the boxes above. It was superb!

I had so much fun with the multiple storylines which is weird because usually I’m against too many characters moving around all over the place. Nevertheless, in this case, it completely worked for me.

Let's meet the Rivas:

Mick Rivas, the father, an unfaithful man, a famous r
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Tatatataaaa, may I announce you one of the best of the best reads of 2021?

During my read:
    I cried a lot...
    I sniffled...
    I giggled the sarcastic humor of the author when she described the party animal celebrities!
    My heart warmed up when I read four siblings’ close, honest relationships.
    I mesmerized by the whirlwind time travel ride between 50’s to 80’s!

I was shaken to the core, emotions are everywhere after reading Mick and June’s tragic, blasting, heartbreaking story!

TJR is one of my all ti
    Madeleine
    Dec 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Yeah, I'll read anything this woman writes. ...more
    Emma Giordano
    Sep 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
    *rising from the depths of my Goodreads grave to add this to my TBR*
    Michael David
    Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Christmas came early for me this year, in the form of TJR’s latest novel.

Every year in Malibu, Nina Riva throws an annual end of Summer party. For anyone who is anyone, this is THE party to be seen at. Who wouldn’t want to party with the famous Riva family?

Nina is a famous surfer model. Her brother, Jay, is a highly talented and award-winning surfer. Her other brother, Hud, is a well known photographer. Then there is her youngest sibling, Kit, the sister everyone loves.

The year is 1983, and Ni
    Sahil Javed
    Mar 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: adult
    i will literally pay taylor jenkins reid to keep writing books every year. i won't truly be alive until this book is out and in my hands. ...more
    Elyse  Walters
    In order to not feel completely nauseated...(such a let down book after “Daisy Jones and the Six”)...
    around half way into this Southern California doozie-eye-rolling novel....
    I decided it was up to me to turn the tables... and have a little fun.
    And so I did....( kinda)....
    But oh dear....”Taylor, I love you...have enjoyed all your previous books....but “Malibu Rising”, is not your best work.

It was 1983....
    Malibu was a place were rich white people lived....
    ....home to beaches cradling the crysta
    ✨ A ✨
    All I see is: Malibu+ 1980s + Taylor Jenkins Reid

I don't need the details, I need the book

Release date: May 2021
    elisa
    Jan 13, 2021 rated it did not like it
    ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

(💌 full, unedited review on my blog, because the original version was too long for goodreads)

white nuclear families will literally surf instead of going to therapy for their trauma

this is one of those rare and extraordinary instances where my rage over a book propelled me through its pages at a speed i am totally unused to. i'm typically a slower reader, especially when losing myself in a world i love. this is because i enjoy soaking u
    Bridgett
    Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc
    I am such a hardcore Taylor Jenkins Reid fan.

I gave The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 5 stars, and Daisy Jones & The Six 4.5 stars. Unfortunately, though I still thoroughly enjoyed every page, Malibu Rising is my least favorite of the three...and is receiving a 4 star rating.

This novel takes place over a twenty-four hour period in 1983, though the first half the book does flash back to the fifties/sixties and encompasses the love story of the Riva patriarch and matriarch, Mick and June. I
    Anna
    Jan 15, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

I have no interest in surf culture in the 1980s but Taylor Jenkins Reid is writing this book so obviously I'll be reading it.
    Javier
    Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Review published in: https://diagnosisbookaholic.blogspot....

4,5 ⭐

First book read in 2021 and first winner of the year. I sure started 2021 picking good!

A couple of years back I absolutely adored "The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo". Then "Daisy Jones & The Six" was a huge disappointment. I don't know if it was the book's format or the fact that I listened to the audiobook version, but I didn't connect with it at all. Not having read any other books by Taylor Jenkins Reid, I came into this one wi
    NReads
    Aug 18, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    she bout to write the next big thing
    Sana
    Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
    'Malibu Burning is set against the backdrop of the Malibu surf culture of the 1980s. It follows the daughter of a famous singer who, once she finds fame, must grapple with the fact that her father abandoned her and her siblings when they were young.'

OMG YES

Source
    Theresa Alan
    Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This novel takes place over the course of 24 hours leading up to a huge party. It’s 1983, and 25-year-old Nina Riva is known for throwing *the* party of the year on her cliffside house in Malibu that everyone wants to be at. Nina took over raising her younger siblings after their father abandoned them for a second time and their mother lost herself in a bottle and then, by drowning in the bathtub after drinking too much.

The relationship between the siblings is rendered incredibly well,
    Clara (The Bookworm of Notre-Dame)
    ARC finished on the 3rd of January

Rep: Lesbian MC
    TWs: drug, alcohol, death of a parent

A greek tragedy, but make it chic and hopeful, kinda..
    Reading vlog coming.

August 2020
    GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!
    Elle
    Aug 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: netgalley, 2021

Am I close, Taylor?

I’m assuming the title change is out of respect for the huge swaths of the west coast that have been on fire all summer. Either way I’m excited we get a cover reveal as well!
    jay ☽
    Feb 20, 2020 marked it as tbr-unreleased
    Do I care about surf culture in Malibu? No. But you had me at 80s and Taylor Jenkins Reid.
    Kerrin P
    Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Can anyone say BEACH READ? Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid will be released on May 25, 2021, just in time for long summer days at the beach. Pour yourself a Sea Breeze cocktail and relax into this story about the Riva family. You’ll be glad you indulged yourself.

The prologue of the novel talks about the many times Malibu has caught on fire and then risen from the ashes. This is a very appropriate metaphor for the Riva family, who live in Malibu, and who have survived some major crises.

Taylo
    Bláthnaid  Nevin
    Edit: why the heck did they change the title? I really liked 'Malibu Burning' hmmm

--------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY we have a cover and synopsis!

The cover is such a pretty shade of blue. I'm very excited. Also, the characters are Mick Riva's children??? This book is gonna be lit (get it? because there's gonna be a fire?). I'm predicting this will be in my top 3 reads of 2021!
    ☆ sana ☆
    Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    trust taylor jenkins reid to make you cry. this was beautiful!!
    Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
    mmmm yessss delicious i didn't even read the synopsis but i know it's about a house party with family drama, all i needed to know was that the author was Taylor Jenkins Reid :) ...more
    Destiny
    Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
    Unpopular opinion ahead...

As someone who has LOOOOVED every other TJR book, I went into this with very high expectations. Unfortunately, it failed to deliver.

The beginning was strong, especially the flashback portions to the 1960s of the Riva family history. The 1980s present, however, was an extremely slow burn. It felt like it was building up to an epic climax... and fell flat. It never really seemed to shock or go anywhere with intent.

I am extremely grateful to have received an ARC and whil
    Tammy
    Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This isn’t DAISY JONES nor is it EVELYN HUGO. However, it is straightforward women’s commercial fiction and there’s nothing wrong with that. It will hit all of the lists; many readers will love it but I expected more. It’s a family story mainly about close siblings trying to sort out their identities, lives and loves. Their parents’ story is a simplistically written romance with far reaching consequences. I found the prologue to be an engaging introduction to Malibu’s history of burning to be a ...more
    cossette
    trigger warnings: drugs, alcoholism, estranged father, adoption, death of a parent, stroke, drowning, fire, abandonment, infidelity

nina deserved better + i would personally like to push mick riva off a cliff

review will be posted closer to publication date!
    readwithrilee
    Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    I absolutely loved it! Teared up three times. I didn’t want it to end!! Honestly though in my opinion there should be one more chapter at the end. Also Kit needs her own book🙌🏻
    This will be the PERFECT book to read at the beach! (If you don’t live by the beach then listen to an ocean waves asmr!)
    Thank you so much NETGALLEY for allowing me to read this.
    heba
    Jan 07, 2021 marked it as to-read
    yeah, i'm buying anything with this woman's name on the cover... ...more
    Virginie
    Dec 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
    I heard about this book 5 minutes ago, but the wait is already unbearable!
    How is this different from Malibu Burning. 1 24 Sep 23, 2020 02:37PM

• Sunflower Sisters
    • What You Wish For
    • Good Neighbors
    • The Perfect Daughter
    Taylor Jenkins Reid is the author of Daisy Jones & The Six, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, One True Loves, and three other novels. She lives in Los Angeles. You can follow her on Instagram @tjenkinsreid. ...more

Articles featuring this book

“How were you supposed to change- in ways both big and small- when your family was always there to remind you of exactly the person you apparently signed an ironclad contract to be?” 1 likes
    “She knew it was up to her to say what had to be said. To do what had to be done. When there is only you, you do not get to choose which jobs you want, you do not get to decide you are incapable of anything. There is no room for distaste or weakness. You must do it all. All of the ugliness, the sadness, the things most people can't stand to even think about, all must live inside of you. You must be capable of everything.” 0 likes