Start by marking “Malibu Rising” as Want to Read:

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  1,904 ratings  ·  1,201 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Daisy Jones & The Six . . . Four famous siblings throw an epic party to celebrate the end of the summer. But over the course of twenty-four hours, their lives will change forever.

Malibu: August 1983. It's the day of Nina Riva's annual end-of-summer party, and anticipation is at a fever pitch. Everyone wants to be around the fam
Expected publication: June 1st 2021 by Ballantine Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 01, 2021
    Enter for a chance to win an early copy of MALIBU RISING — new from Taylor Jenkins Reid, bestselling author of Daisy Jones & The Six.

Nina Riva spent

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 21127 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 01 - Apr 30, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Malibu Rising, please sign up.
    Elizabeth Prochazka It is not the same interview style but does mix the current day (an hour by hour break down of the 24 hours leading up to a turning point incident) in…moreIt is not the same interview style but does mix the current day (an hour by hour break down of the 24 hours leading up to a turning point incident) intermixed with flashbacks to the characters past to build the relationships they have and things they have gone through together. It took me a bit to get into the back and forth format, but once I hit the groove, I really enjoyed it!(less)

·  1,904 ratings  ·  1,201 reviews

Start your review of Malibu Rising
    sarah
    Dec 25, 2019 marked it as unreleased  ·  review of another edition
    You say Taylor Jenkins Reid
    I say sold
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Aug 04, 2020 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
    *Thanks to the publisher and Goodreads for providing my review copy.
    Sheyla ✎

What makes a book a great book? Is it writing? Is it the premise? Is it the characters? Or is it the author's voice? I don't know but I can tell you, I thought the Malibu Rising checked all the boxes above. It was superb!

I had so much fun with the multiple storylines which is weird because usually I’m against too many characters moving around all over the place. Nevertheless, in this case, it completely worked for me.

Let's meet the Rivas:

Mick Rivas, the father, an unfaithful man, a famous r
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Tatatataaaa, may I announce you one of the best of the best reads of 2021?

During my read:
    I cried a lot...
    I sniffled...
    I giggled the sarcastic humor of the author when she described the party animal celebrities!
    My heart warmed up when I read four siblings’ close, honest relationships.
    I mesmerized by the whirlwind time travel ride between 50’s to 80’s!

I was shaken to the core, emotions are everywhere after reading Mick and June’s tragic, blasting, heartbreaking story!

TJR is one of my all ti
    MarilynW
    Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it
    Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This is just my third TJR book. I loved Daisy and The Six even though there is very little that I can relate to the rock star life. I have followed music all my life though and my husband follows the background of rock stars and groups so that book was very entertaining to me, especially with the audio version's fantastic production. I also enjoyed the audio version of Evidence of the Affair. In the case of Malibu Rising, which I read rather than listened to,
    Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    3.5 stars rounded up to 4. This was a weird reading experience for me, if I'm being honest. I absolutely blew through it, picking my kindle up to sneak in an extra page or two during every spare moment that I had. I absolutely adored the first 60ish% of the story, but things kind of started to go down hill for me as we approached the big party and the ultimate climax of everything. As we get into the party, we go from reading exclusively from the perspectives of the Rivas, to reading short littl ...more
    Maddie
    Dec 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Yeah, I'll read anything this woman writes. ...more
    Emma Giordano
    Sep 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
    *rising from the depths of my Goodreads grave to add this to my TBR*
    Kat
    You know that feeling you get when you try something amazing for the first time? For me it was the first time I tasted cheesecake. It’s like I inherently knew that I would never meet a cheesecake I didn’t like, no matter what flavor it featured, and I’d always want another bite.

This was my first Taylor Jenkins Reid book, and all I can say is, YUM!! I’m definitely gonna want more of this. Don’t care what flavors, just gimme a bite.

The Riva family in this book are fascinating. Iconic singer Mick c
    Michael David
    Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Christmas came early for me this year, in the form of TJR’s latest novel.

Every year in Malibu, Nina Riva throws an annual end of Summer party. For anyone who is anyone, this is THE party to be seen at. Who wouldn’t want to party with the famous Riva family?

Nina is a famous surfer model. Her brother, Jay, is a highly talented and award-winning surfer. Her other brother, Hud, is a well known photographer. Then there is her youngest sibling, Kit, the sister everyone loves.

The year is 1983, and Ni
    Jayme
    Feb 06, 2021 rated it liked it
    I started reading Taylor Jenkins Reid about 6 years ago...before she was a household name, and the stories of Emma (One True Loves), Lauren (After I do) and Hannah (Maybe in Another Life) are still MY personal favorites because those stories resonated with me.

TJR’s latest three, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Daisy Jones and the Six, and now Malibu Rising have not. (I KNOW! The first two are EVERYONE else’s favorites!)

I am just not a person who becomes star struck by Movie Icons, Rock Star
    Sahil Javed
    Mar 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: adult
    i will literally pay taylor jenkins reid to keep writing books every year. i won't truly be alive until this book is out and in my hands. ...more
    Paromjit
    Taylor Jenkins Reid's latest offering is a dysfunctional family drama that revolves around the Riva clan, the tragedies, trauma, celebrity and surfing set in Malibu and the twenty four hours, the famous, drug and alcohol fuelled end of summer party in August 1983. In a story that shifts from the past and present, we learn of the intricacies of the painful relationship between iconic rock star Mick Riva, a character that will be familiar to those who have read the author's other books, and June, ...more
    Elyse  Walters
    In order to not feel completely nauseated...(such a let down book after “Daisy Jones and the Six”)...
    around half way into this Southern California doozie-eye-rolling novel....
    I decided it was up to me to turn the tables... and have a little fun.
    And so I did....( kinda)....
    But oh dear....”Taylor, I love you...have enjoyed all your previous books....but “Malibu Rising”, is not your best work.

It was 1983....
    Malibu was a place were rich white people lived....
    ....home to beaches cradling the crysta
    Kaceey
    Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
    There is something about Taylor Jenkins Reid’s writing that just draws you in. She tells a story so different than anyone else. You are instantly there in California with the sun shining down and sand between your toes.

A party is about to take place. No invitations. Anyone who knows the date and address is welcome. Come one...come all. Only this party may just get a bit out of hand.

Four siblings have grown up in the shadows of their famous father Mick Riva. . Their life hasn’t been easy. And th
    karen
    Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
    this is the second book i have read by taylor jenkins reid, and while her books may not be literary-award great, they are great fun—fast-paced and frothy, but underneath the pure escapist pleasure of them are layers with real emotional texture.

this one is similar to Daisy Jones & The Six in a bunch of ways—the dual shiny/pointy nature of fame with its various perks and temptations, female characters whose raw talents are sidelined or overshadowed by the media's fixation on their sex appeal & rel
    emma
    look at me. look me in the eyes. anything taylor jenkins reid writes. ANYTHING. i will read it.
    elisa
    Jan 13, 2021 rated it did not like it
    ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

(💌 full, unedited review on my blog, because the original version was too long for goodreads)

white nuclear families will literally surf instead of going to therapy for their trauma

this is one of those rare and extraordinary instances where my rage over a book propelled me through its pages at a speed i am totally unused to. i'm typically a slower reader, especially when losing myself in a world i love. this is because i enjoy soaking u
    Bridgett
    Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc
    I am such a hardcore Taylor Jenkins Reid fan.

I gave The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 5 stars, and Daisy Jones & The Six 4.5 stars. Unfortunately, though I still thoroughly enjoyed every page, Malibu Rising is my least favorite of the three...and is receiving a 4 star rating.

This novel takes place over a twenty-four hour period in 1983, though the first half the book does flash back to the fifties/sixties and encompasses the love story of the Riva patriarch and matriarch, Mick and June. I
    ✨ A ✨
    All I see is: Malibu+ 1980s + Taylor Jenkins Reid

I don't need the details, I need the book

Release date: May 2021
    Kelli
    Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    Wow! I loved this book.

This was my first Taylor Jenkins Reid book and I can’t wait to read the rest.

This follows the story of the four Riva siblings as they throw an end of the year annual summer party. The book gives insight to their childhood and family.

The characters were well developed and I felt myself rooting for them all. I’m not even sure which one I liked the most!

The party was fun, wild and drug fueled. I felt like I was there in 1983!

Beautiful cover! I truly felt like I was in Malibu
    Larry H
    Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc
    Don’t you love it when a book you’ve been dying to read by one of your favorite authors lives up to the hype? That's how I feel about Malibu Rising , the upcoming book by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

It’s 1983. Superstar model Nina Riva and her siblings—surfing all-star Jay, talented photographer Hud, and Kit, the youngest, who’s ready to be taken seriously as a woman and a surfer—are getting ready to have their annual party at the end of the summer. Once again this year the party is at the Malibu man
    Susanne  Strong
    Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
    Review also published on blog: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

Malibu Rising: My First Read by Taylor Jenkins Reid - and What a Read it Was!

Family, as we all know, tends to have both good and bad apples. The Riva family is a prime example.

Siblings Nina, Jay, Hud, and Kit have only ever had each other to rely on. Their love for each other, their mother June, and the ocean, is their bond.

Nina became famous at the age of 17 as a surfing model. Nina, however, has other hopes and dreams, o
    DeAnn
    Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2021, netgalley-2021
    3.25 surfing stars

As the title would suggest, this one is set in Malibu and focuses on the iconic Riva family. The four siblings run the local beach-side restaurant; one is a world class surfer, one a calendar model, one a talented photographer, and the youngest an aspiring surfer. Their father, famous singer Mick Riva, has been out of their lives for decades.

The first half of the book really sets the stage with the backstory for all the characters and the second half is focused on the annual Ri
    Anna
    Jan 15, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

I have no interest in surf culture in the 1980s but Taylor Jenkins Reid is writing this book so obviously I'll be reading it.
    Javier
    Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Review published in: https://diagnosisbookaholic.blogspot....

4,5 ⭐

First book read in 2021 and first winner of the year. I sure started 2021 picking good!

A couple of years back I absolutely adored "The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo". Then "Daisy Jones & The Six" was a huge disappointment. I don't know if it was the book's format or the fact that I listened to the audiobook version, but I didn't connect with it at all. Not having read any other books by Taylor Jenkins Reid, I came into this one wi
    Kerrin P
    Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Can anyone say BEACH READ? Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid will be released on June 1, 2021, just in time for long summer days at the beach. Pour yourself a Sea Breeze cocktail and relax into this story about the Riva family. You’ll be glad you indulged yourself.

The prologue of the novel talks about the many times Malibu has caught on fire and then risen from the ashes. This is a very appropriate metaphor for the Riva family, who live in Malibu, and who have survived some major crises.

Taylo
    NReads
    Aug 18, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    she bout to write the next big thing
    Josh
    Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3.5
    Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Incredible, Fun, Intriguing, Wild.

Ideal Choice for Beach Read.
    My experience with this highly anticipated book was great. It was surprising.

Malibu Rising is a book about the life of the Riva Family. Divided into two parts. In the first part, we get a glimpse of Riva's Family History. The second part is focused on the annual Riva party which in the year 1983, it got out of control.
    I love the relationship and the strong bond of Riva's siblings. I adm

Theresa Alan
    Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    This novel takes place over the course of 24 hours leading up to a huge party. It’s 1983, and 25-year-old Nina Riva is known for throwing *the* party of the year on her cliffside house in Malibu that everyone wants to be at. Nina took over raising her younger siblings after their father abandoned them for a second time and their mother lost herself in a bottle and then, by drowning in the bathtub after drinking too much.

The relationship between the siblings is rendered incredibly well,
    How is this different from Malibu Burning. 1 39 Sep 23, 2020 02:37PM

• Survive the Night
    • The Last Thing He Told Me
    • We Were Never Here
    • What You Wish For
    • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
    • Big Summer
    • Mary Jane
    • Transcendent Kingdom
    • The Children's Blizzard
    • Beach Read
    Taylor Jenkins Reid is the author of Daisy Jones & The Six, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, One True Loves, and three other novels. She lives in Los Angeles. You can follow her on Instagram @tjenkinsreid. ...more

Articles featuring this book

Spring is Mother Nature’s way of saying, “Oof–let’s try this again.” The last 12 months have been, well, challenging is the polite term....
    “How were you supposed to change- in ways both big and small- when your family was always there to remind you of exactly the person you apparently signed an ironclad contract to be?” 3 likes
    “She knew it was up to her to say what had to be said. To do what had to be done. When there is only you, you do not get to choose which jobs you want, you do not get to decide you are incapable of anything. There is no room for distaste or weakness. You must do it all. All of the ugliness, the sadness, the things most people can't stand to even think about, all must live inside of you. You must be capable of everything.” 1 likes