Start by marking “Amari and the Night Brothers” as Want to Read:
Amari and the Night Brothers

Amari and the Night Brothers

(Supernatural Investigations #1)

An epic middle grade supernatural adventure series, soon to be a major movie starring Marsai Martin. Perfect for readers aged 8+ and fans of Percy Jackson, Nevermoor and Men in Black!

Amari Peters knows three things.

Her big brother Quinton has gone missing.
No one will talk about it.
His mysterious job holds the secret . . .

So when Amari gets an invitation to the Bureau of Su
Expected publication: January 21st 2021 by Egmont Books (first published January 19th 2021)

Start your review of Amari and the Night Brothers
B.B. Alston
May 27, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I hope you all like it!
Gavin
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A truly imaginative and explosive start to what promises to be an exciting new middle grade series to watch out for!

Amari has felt rather lost since the disappearance of her brother, but when she discovers a strange suitcase in his room, she has no idea how much bigger his disappearance - and the world around her - actually are. Enter the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs, where Amari begins to train as a junior agent in a world where aliens, witches, dragons and way, way more exist.

This book has
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
*climbs to the very top of a mountain, inhales and screams*: I LOVE THIS BOOOOOOOK.
Amari and the Night Brothers has the potential to be the next big series - yes, it is really that good.

- Follows Amari, a young Black girl who gets swept into a hidden magical world when she receives a briefcase from her missing brother - and she gets nominated to be a trainee at the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs.
- This book is just so much fun!!! I loved how imaginative and creative and visual this book was. Th
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

A magical world hidden from the everyday person. A world where ‘other beings’ live amongst us. A bureau designed to look after and protect both the humans and ‘others’. A Magician so powerful and evil he wants to take over. A young girl in search of her brother. This is ‘Amari and the Night Brothers’.

Amari Peters is a young girl whose older brother Quinton went missing months ago. After an altercation at school with the popular girls which sees Amari exp
Fanna
Jun 16, 2020 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-releases
↣ an early digital copy received via netgalley

June 16, 2020: The cutest, prettiest, magical cover of this book has just been revealed and it's UMMM, PERFECTTTT.
Olivia
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This MG novel is incredibly well written and easy to read. Alston nailed Amari's voice and made her an incredibly funny, yet empathic character. He created a magical journey, one that I hope many young readers will embark on.

Amari is a likeable protagonist. Most readers will find something of themselves in her, whether it be her curiosity, her strength, or her determination. She's the kind of protagonist I'd like my son or daughter (if I had any children) to root for. Amari is a fighter, indepen
TL
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the digital copy in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.*

Well written story that is well thought out and fun. Amari is a great heroine and I loved the idea of the world the author created.
Cortney
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-favorites
Amari And The Night Brothers is a magical journey for modern times. A delightful and joyous experience about finding the courage to embrace your destiny and forge your own path regardless of the obstacles placed in your way.
Toya (the reading chemist)
Life for 12 year old Amari Peters is difficult to say the least. She’s a Black girl being raised in low income housing by a single mom that works 60+ hours per week. She attends an elite school on scholarship, but that may all be down the toilet thanks to the bullies who have made her life a living hell following the mysterious disappearance of her older brother Quinton.

Quinton was the school’s golden boy, but no one cares that he’s missing. The police have given up and everyone assumes that he
Sophie Anderson
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A breathtakingly exciting and imaginative adventure, with a brilliant, relatable heroine and deft, positive messages about privilege and prejudice, courage and integrity. I loved it!
Sim
May 20, 2020 marked it as 2021-releases  ·  review of another edition
June 17, 2020: So the cover has been revealed and it's perfect!

May 20, 2020: I came to know about this book today on Twitter and I can't wait to see the cover!
- #ownvoices middle grade trilogy
- A paranormal fantasy
- with magical competition
- a magician villain
- siblings love
seems right up my alley.
☆Lily☆
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a lovely gem of a book!

Already the author’s letter to the reader at the beginning made me fall in love with the book and my expectations rose. And what should I say, the book exceeded my high expectations.

Amari is a girl trying to find her place in the world. She always had her older brother, Quinton, look out for her and support her. Now that brother simply disappeared and no one knows where he is this role is somehow reversed and she needs to look out for Quinton. Although no one know
rain
Thank you to Harper Collins and Edelweiss for giving me an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review

AAAHHH I ENJOYED READING THIS BOOK SO MUCH! It lived up to its magical premise and I'm really excited about what this series has to offer in the next book.

• I love Amari as a protagonist. She's a fighter even though all the cards are always stacked against her. It really infuriated me when bullies kept picking on her because WHY WOULD YOU HURT MY PRECIOUS CHILD. She's just more talented than all o
Vee
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in international yeti politics
[ARC Provided by The Write Reads tours, my review is unbiased]
Wordpress Blog | Twitter

This magical series about a girl from a lower class neighbourhood, that finds out her missing brother was really working for a hidden world of magicians was incredible, and I loved following Amari as she discovered that magic existed, choosing a profession and training her magic.

This story felt like it was building up a world we get to know and love fully later, with hints of Zombies, Yetis, Atlantis and so muc
Rachel
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Thank you Edelweiss for the ARC and making me feel like I won the lottery!

Have you ever experienced something and it made you realize you had unknowingly been missing something in your life? That's what it's like to finish Amari and the Night Brothers. I have missed a fantasy kid adventure written for kids, not persnickety adults. I have missed the breeziness of a good plot. I have missed a nuanced heroine who gets to be real without some weirdness around her being normal as if that was a fatal
(Ellie) ReadtoRamble
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for a blog tour, so thank you so much to the blog tour organiser for letting me take part, and thank you so much to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own!

Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston is the first book in the middle grade fantasy series of the same name, and a book that I adored from start to finish.

This book is set in the world that we know, only it’s a little bit more
Sifa Poulton
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of the book from the publisher as part of the tour in exchange for an honest review. It has not affected my opinions.

I think we should start of with saying that when this ARC arrived, I was curled up on the sofa finishing up another book, and the friend I was staying with at the time walked in, saw the ARC and started reading it. She devoured it in the course of the afternoon, absolutely cackling at it and reading snippets aloud. So it's a double recommendation!

It was a lot of
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

Book source ~ Tour

13-year-old Amari Peters has an older genius brother, Quinton, who goes missing. Police aren’t trying too hard to find him, and six months later Amari discovers a ticking briefcase in his closet. When Amari opens it, everything she thought about the world changes and now she has a chance to find her brother her own damn self. Go bring him home, Amari!

I’m not usually a fan of saying, “If you like X book then you will like this one.” But I’m going to say it now. If you like Ha
Livy
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly fantastical middle grade!

I really enjoyed reading all about Amari's adventures as she not only discovered a supernatural world underneath her noise but also uncovered a mystery. The classic trope of a magic school was made unique but transferring it to a government like facility filed hit weird and whacky departments. While I felt that the final showdown went a little too quickly I did really enjoy the reveal that came along with it, something that I definitely nerve saw coming.

The char
Isabella (The Feminist Bookworm)
This book was EVERYTHING! Harry Potter, Nevermoor, Percy Jackson, and Kingdom of the Lost Cities rolled into one!
Kathie
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-longlist
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for an eARC of this book.

The cover of Amari and the Night Brothers is one of my favorites for 2021 so far, and was the first thing that drew me to this book. The second was all the positive buzz I'd heard about it, all of which is deserved. I admit that the 416 page length put me off reading it for a while, but I quickly found myself engaged in the story.

Amari's brother, Quinton, has been missing, but no one knows what's happened to him. When she finds a
Shreddy (age 11 with Mum's permission)
*contains spoilers*

This is the story of Amari Peters, a girl from the Rosewood housing projects. With a poor family, and a missing brother, she is all the more surprised when she gets an invitation to the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs. Upon arrival, she learns about the two powerful magicians, the Night Brothers, who wreaked havoc upon the supernatural world. She also learns that her brother, Quinton, and another wonderful agent, Maria, were a famous duo known as VanQuish. She soon discovers th
Cass Moskowitz
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amari is a girl whose brother has been missing for a few months, but she KNOWS he's out there somewhere. He had a mysterious job he never gave details about, and she's sure it had something to do with that. Turns out she might be right when she discovers he was part of a Bureau of Supernatural Affairs, and now Amari gets a chance to join that same program. She's smart and never gives up and with some new friends she's going to get her brother back.

I adored every second of reading this book, it
Stephen Donovan
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a thoroughly delightful and enthralling story that is filled with an endless amount of fascinating ideas and concepts. Taking place within an extraordinary world and featuring an amazing protagonist, there is so much to love as it leads the reader on a magical journey which relays uplifting messages while also providing no shortage of humour and wit.

There is so much to pack into this book, from all the ins and outs of the supernatural world to the enduring mystery of what happen
Candyce Kirk
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amari and the Night Brothers is a book I won't be forgetting anytime soon. B.B. Alston introduces us to an amazing new world filled with supernatural beings and talented children training to be all that they can be. This book is amazing and so much more than an adventure and has all of the elements I love in a middle grade series.

I'm a big fan of books that take place in a school setting and I have to say this magic school summer camp set in a government facility had a really nice twist. Our mai
Richie Partington
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Richie’s Picks: AMARI AND THE NIGHT BROTHERS by B.B. Alston, HarperCollins/Balzer + Bray, January 2021, 416p., ISBN: 978-0-06-297516-4

“...Every little thing she does is magic…”
-- The Police (1981)

“Mr. Ware grins. ‘Go to any corner of the world and you’ll find tales of beings and creatures that only seem possible in our imaginations. What if I told you that living among us are all the things we’ve come to pass off as myth?’”

Welcome to an underworld of bizarre creatures, powerful magic, and danger
Paperbacks
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amari and the Night Brothers is nothing short of one of the most wonderfully magical books I have read this year, huge thanks to Egmont Books and The Write Reads tours for having Biba and I along for the ride!

To start the book had a wonderful wizard of oz style feel, Amari is dealing with the double whammy of her missing brother and dealing with the awful school bullies who push her to the edge with their taunts about her heritage and how poor she is. It feels bleak for Amari, but with one wonde
Ben Gartner
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Myself and my two boys, ages 10 and 13, really dug this book. It was like an updated, way cooler, and more diverse Harry Potter mixed with Artemis Fowl. I can definitely see this series expanding and sucking us in even more. In fact, as soon as we finished the book, my oldest said, "You have to get the second book! Now!" Then he asked if it was a movie we could rent.
The writing was well-done, the pace was consistent and moved the story along, and the mystery kept us turning the pages. I also app
mrsswiftnibtwirlspages
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quinton Peters, the golden boy, a lovely son, an amazing brother and a brilliant student. Everything is going great, he has two full scholarships to ivy league universities and has a job already, till one day he mysteriously disappears. Not a word said or heard, he has vanished into thin air with absolutely no clue whatsoever.

Amari Peters adored her brother. But when he vanishes without a trace, Amari is agitated and angry. No one around is doing much to find out what happened to Quinton and no
Karen Mace
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a fabulous introduction to the world of Amari!! This is one of those books that gives you a little bit of everything at middle grade - the magic, the adventure, suspense and supernatural, alongside the element of family unity and I just loved it! Now I can't wait to see it turned into a film!!

Amari is in trouble at school for standing up to the bullies who have been harrassing her, so she's rather shocked when she receives a mysterious email, inviting her to be part of a secret program - es
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Beast and the Bethany
  • The Wolf and The Water
  • The Cousins
  • A Sparrow Alone
  • The Sea in Winter
  • Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)
  • Second Cousin Once Removed
  • The Ship of Shadows (The Ship of Shadows, #1)
  • The Heart's Invisible Furies
  • May Day (Seekers, #1)
  • The Midnight Guardians
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • A Thousand Questions
  • The Miracle on Ebenezer Street
  • City of the Plague God
  • Clues to the Universe
  • The Last Shadow Warrior
  • Red, White, and Whole

Supernatural Investigations (3 books)
  • Untitled (Amari and the Night Brothers #2)
  • Untitled (Amari and the Night Brothers #3)