Start by marking “SOUND: A Comics Anthology” as Want to Read:
SOUND: A Comics Anthology

SOUND: A Comics Anthology

• Diverse stories created by Southeast Asian writers and illustrators inspired by and set in recognisable places around the region.
• Compelling narratives that span personal stories and universal themes selected by veteran comic book editors.
• A wide range of art styles and genres to cater to a broad range of readers’ tastes. A great read for locals and anyone interested i
Paperback, First Edition, 288 pages
Published November 1st 2020 by Difference Engine

To ask other readers questions about SOUND, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SOUND

Start your review of SOUND: A Comics Anthology
aqilahreads
sound: a comics anthology is published by difference engine, an independent comics publisher based in singapore. this is also their first comics anthology - writers & illustrators from all around southeast asia come together to explore on the theme, "sound".

i really love that you can see so many interpretations of sound all in one book. mad talent & respect & im just so proud they are actually our local/SEA artists omg like?!?!?! they deserve all the love???? okay ALSO can we talk about how the
Xueting
I love the concept of this anthology: a collection of comics from Southeast Asian writers and illustrators that explore the sounds of SEA cultures and our daily lives through the visual and graphic medium. For example, one of my favourites centers on a young girl’s struggle to understand and speak in her family’s Hokkien dialect, and how it distances her from her grandma who speaks only Hokkien. This is a very prominent and relevant issue that the youth face in my country, Singapore. Some of the ...more
Lauren
Nov 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
MY XITARA IS IN THIS ANTHOLOGY AHHHHHH
danes
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Artwork is amazing. 3.75.

More importantly, it was great to characters and stories that were familiar.
ash c
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful anthology displaying a selection of 13 comics from talented writers and artists throughout SEAsia. I didn't expect to be blown away when I was contacted to write a review for this, but blown away I was.

I started off with the notes from the two editors, and they were a testament to the passion they had to showcase and introduce different writers of the region, and dedication to a well-thought out theme.

SOUND - not SFX words, like what people typically think of in comics, but:

"The
Jessica
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really love how the book started and ended. The choice of the first story was brilliant. Voices of the unheard was well highlighted in the story Folk, the perfect story to start off the whole compilation.

The illustrations are stunning and there are even some stories with only illustrations and no words but it makes the perfect sense to me. It shows how each panel and drawing were put carefully in place so it makes sense to the readers.

Some of my favourite ones are Softly, Sayang, Road Trip Rad
Wen-yi Lee
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The collection of thirteen stories present vastly different styles from artists and writers from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines, with stories ranging from historical to speculative to slightly surreal to straight up urban fantasy. The familiarity of the settings and the cultural elements was so comforting; I was struck multiple times by how much motion and atmosphere could be created in simple lines, and how the central concept of sound was variously expressed. One ...more
yipeng
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
It was so lovely to see the different interpretations of Sound by various Southeast Asian artists and storytellers. There are a few stand out stories in this anthology that I know will stay with me for the coming weeks, months, years. This anthology reminds me of the richness of SEA and how we’re not that different from one another as we tend to think. Sound is proof that magic can happen when we come together.
Ben Wong
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories are deep and well drawn and it made me wish they had been full length stories.... Eg "Voices and Votes" and "Signals". Looking forward to the second anthology by DE! ...more
Sylvia Kho
May 23, 2021 rated it liked it
I liked 'The Cat Who Barks" by Bryan Arfiandy best. So beautiful!
Dave
Shrey A
Mar 24, 2021

• Parasite: A Graphic Novel in Storyboards
  • In the Year of the Virus
  • The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #1)
  • Freefall
  • Remina
  • Kusama: The Graphic Novel
  • The Best We Could Do
  • The Girl and the Ghost
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • Anak-anak Kota Lama
  • 82년생 김지영
Budjette is a founding member of Alamat Comics. He has since written comic-book stories like Batch72, The Flying Phantom, and Payaso. His most recent work is Trese, co-created with artist KaJo Baldisimo. Like any typical superhero, he keeps a secret identity and works as the Deputy Executive Creative Director in the ad agency Harrison Communications.

(Taken here.)