Start by marking “Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World” as Want to Read:
Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World

Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"Lindsay gives an excellent overview of the medieval Islamic world. Intended for an audience with little or no background on this topic, the book offers a thorough introduction to the beginnings of Islam, its history up to the year 1300, and material on a wide range of other topics, e.g., warfare, social practices, entertainment, and geography. . . . Numerous maps, photogr ...more
Published September 15th 2008 by Hackett Publishing Company, Inc. (first published June 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daily Life in the Medieval Islamic World

Vaishali
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Re-read the title, because the next time you'll see anything resembling it is on page 88 :) Lindsay gives precious few details on actual day-to-day activities ... and he had 800 years spanning 3 continents to do it.

Factoids sparsed out :
--------------------

"Yemen - the Arabia Felix or 'Happy Arabia' of classical geographers - was exceptional in just about everything. Unlike the Bedouin who lived in tents or the residents of the oasis settlements of Hadiz... Yemen built dams in the valleys in or
Majid A.
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I read it critically as a Muslim myself, seeing how this Islamic period is portrayed in Western literature.

The book puts forward a secular investigation on a society underpinned by a common faith. This secular view will never provide the full and accurate picture

Within this context, the author made very good observations and avoided making unsupported assumption.
The author also quoted (translated) Quranic verses where appropriate.
Rumiz  M
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was an interesting read but I hadn't learned much. Everything written I already had some idea and I was hoping I would learn something entirely different. But if you are completely ignorant of this time period and of Arab culture, I strongly recommend you read. I couldn't help but notice a slightly bias tone in the author's writing, disliked that greatly but it can be easily ignored.
Stacey
This book by James Lindsay effectively and informatively summarises daily life in the Medieval Islamic world. He begins by first explaining key topics of the Islamic culture and religion, such as a brief overview of the prophet Mohammed, his key battles, the different branches of Islam, etc. The book then moves on to more specific topics, such as life in the cities, etc.

The first chapter is very much an historiographical summary of Lindsay's sources. It is quite detailed, so if this kind of thin
Tiffany
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Daily Life" is a little more scholarly than I was hoping for, but that comes out sounding like a bad thing. Since my ulterior motive was research for my novel, I'd hoped for "daily living" gems that couldn't be found in other scholarly works. There are a few of those in this book - no tea! no coffee! - but I think I would've been better off reading this book earlier in my research rather than later.
Mark Blackham
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Denny writes a very thorough summary of Islam. Although often criticized as a non-Muslim writing on Islam, there can be little doubt about his comprehensive and refreshingly objective knowledge of the subject. It is probably one of the best resources for reaching western academics and students whose focus is on the Middle East. My only critique is the cost of the book.
A. Shumate
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I certainly had good details but I was hoping for more: bathing, taxes, education, etc. I had found out most details through my own amateurish research.
Nicholas Swails
Jan 04, 2016
Asim Iftekhar
Feb 01, 2016
فيصل
rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016