Start by marking “The Minders” as Want to Read:
The Minders

The Minders

In this electrifying near-future thriller, five strangers guard government secrets, but only four can be trusted.

In the 21st century, information is king. But computers can be hacked and files can be broken into - so a unique government initiative has been born. Five ordinary people have been selected to become Minders - the latest weapon in thwarting cyberterrorism. Trans
Published February 16th 2021 by Berkley Books (first published July 23rd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Minders, please sign up.

Start your review of The Minders
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you see the smoke cloud above my head following me everywhere? Nope, I’m smoking weeds to calm my nerves. I don’t smoke! I create smoke when I’m regularly cooking and burning the ingredients. But this time: the reason of the smoke is not my lack of culinary skills! After reading incredible mind numbing, extremely intelligent but also horrifying, captivating story, my brain cells find themselves into deep dish literature fryer.

My advise: Don’t try to put it down! I tried. It doesn’t work that
Susanne  Strong
HAPPY PUB DAY!!!

Terrifying. In More Ways than One.

Hacking. Everyone knows that computers can be hacked. After all, it happens every day, right?

The British Government, however, has decided to ensure that their top-secret information stays that way, and to do so, they’ve figured out a way to store their data, deep in the minds of 5, extremely brilliant, people who are, therefore, unhackable.

These individuals are known as “The Minders” and now that they’ve had top-secret information implanted i
Farrah
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Marrs once again flaunts his WILD imagination!

He goes deep into sci-fi mode with this awesome book about a group of people who agree to allow TOP SECRET government information to be injected and stored in their heads to protect the country from cyber terrorists.

So, The Minders is very plot driven.
Action, action and more action in a high tech futuristic world. Actually the same world as The Passengers and The One so those books need to be read first. Unless you don't mind having their plo
preoccupiedbybooks
3.5 Stars

**A warning that you should read The One and The Passengers before reading The Minders, because there are many spoilers for those books! **

A medical procedure implants secrets inside the brain of five 'Minders' using genetic code. They now know every secret, lie, conspiracy and cover up, but can they be trusted? And who is trying to hunt them down?

I really struggled with how to rate The Minders, and had to take some time to think about it. That is because the first half was very slow, a
Kaceey
John Marrs pulled it off again. A fabulous out–of-the-box thriller certain to leave you speechless.

Five random people…chosen by the government to become minders. Surely you ask... what is a minder? They are individuals willing to have an implant placed in their brains. Shouldn’t be a problem, right? After all, this innocent little implant merely contains all the British documents and secrets the government doesn’t want anyone to get a hold of. Computers and clouds are no longer safe.
Out in cybe
Sheyla ✎
I like how The Minders is written in the same word as The Passengers and The One.

I believe it makes sense to read the first two books to get an idea of the world John Marrs has created.

This time, the Hacking Collective is ready to blackmailed countries into paying them what they want or having all their secrets revealed.

Many countries have fallen to this blackmail but the UK has not fallen yet. In order to prevent this, a new approach has been taken by the government with the help of the best s
Jayme
John Marrs introduced us to his futuristic UK with “The One”

And he continued imagining that future with “The Passengers”

And, now we fast forward a bit further with “The Minders”

Global Warming has been renamed Global Heating, and the Hacking Collective, after taking even more lives with driverless vehicles, is now taking the secrets of countries around the World, through Cyberterrorism.

But, the UK has the answer...
Debra
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Do not mind me, but I am about to praise this highly original and riveting book!

Most who use the internet have some degree of fear about being hacked, their personal information stolen, used, etc. But what happens when an entire country gets hacked? How do you protect precious information? What can be done to keep top secret information just that - top secret?

Enter the Minders, a group of five individuals who have passed a test and have been selected to be the precious few to keep secre
Michael David
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-review
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

*Review originally published on mysteryandsuspense.com on 10/16/20.

THE MINDERS is the eight novel from John Marrs, but the third in the futuristic thriller genre...and it does not disappoint!

In the very near future, there is a Match Your DNA dating site and cars that run by themselves (Fans of the author will understand the references). A group known as the Hacking Collective recently got into the data of the driverless cars, and caused a massive act of terrorism that wa
Oscar
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, 2020-releases
"She vowed not to take the past with her. There was no room for ghosts in her present. She would no longer punish herself over her failings, only learn from them."

The story follows a wild diverse cast who are tasked to retain all government secrets and cover ups in the fear of hacking terrorists. Countries are now kneeling and being held hostage by the Hacking Collective. The British government is afraid that they might be next so drastic measures are being considered. What can't be hacked?
Mark
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know with a new John Marr's book you are in for a treat and this book was no diiferent,to me this book felt like a return to 'The One' style (THE book that got me writing reviews such was the impact it had on me,and soon to be a series on Netflix ) and also had some feel of 'The Passengers' in there as well,what more could a reader and a fan want?
Set in the future this book has an amazing tense start which literally had me hooked from the first paragraph, you are then thrust into the world o
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
I enjoyed The One! I read it, and then I listened to it. I loved The Passengers and thought John Marrs was on top of his game with this entertaining, chilling action-packed, fast track ride to the unthinkable where technology and humans collide in more ways than one. Both are not to miss, and it's a good idea to read them before The Minders.

The Minders again draws us into the world of humans and technology, and hackers are upping their game here. The Minders is set in the near future after both
Sue

Twitter |
Goodreads |
Blog |
Instagram |

Oh my. What did I just read.
It’s exciting, it’s gripping, it’s edge of your seat, it gives you trembles, it gives you an open mouth “what,” feeling.

One of his previous books The One was one of my top books of that year, can this surpass that?

This is set into the future BUT it’s so hands on up to date you’ll be amazed at this science.

Imagine keeping hackers out and not gaining Top Secret Security information inside their heads. Yes that right.

First they h
Bibi
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent way to start the month! FRTC
Bridgett
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I enjoyed The Minders...I didn't love it.

I'm a long-time John Marrs fan...he's an author I consistently give five star ratings. (A rarity for me.) Unfortunately, I couldn't give this book more than 3.5 stars (I am rounding up though...it is John Marrs, after all).

First, let me add this caveat...if you haven't read his previous books, The One and The Passengers, DO NOT read this book. It contains spoilers. Honestly, I think these three books should be labeled as a series. Though they're all
Max Birner
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Minders was the perfect combination of The One and The Passengers and is already on my top ten favorite books for this year. This book checks off all the boxes you'd want in a thriller. Alternating perspectives, huge twists, interesting characters, originality, and constantly making you turn pages.

I read The One and The Passengers in preparation for this book and I'm so happy that I did. While you don't necessarily need to know the previous books to read this, there's a lot of characters/co
Susan
Do-Overs Here!

Five bright characters whose lives are at an intersection choose to be Minders.

They’ve answered a general ad stating “Click here if you’d like to start your life again”. Only a small percentage of the population qualify and have passed an entrance puzzle before interviewing and moving on to the The Programme.

What is the Programme? Answer: The UK has developed an innovative method to safeguard government secrets combining biology and technology with genetic code. The living hosts of
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I absolutely love John Marrs and he is one of my “auto-buy” authors, meaning I’ll read anything he writes! I was so excited to get my hands on a early copy of The Minders. The Minders is set in the future, and scientists have figured out a way to implant sensitive government information into people’s heads, and the book follows several of these people, known as “Minders”. The book is told through multiple points of views, primarily from the different Minders. I really enjoyed that aspect, as we ...more
sarah
The Minders was my first book by John Marrs but now I am beyond excited to read all of his other works!

I had no idea that this was set in the same universe as The One and The Passengers, but it didn't impact on my enjoyment of the story- only made me more excited to read those! We follow four people tasked with becoming 'minders' of the UK's most highly classified information. Because of their neurological capabilities stemming from their synthesia, their brains are essentially unhackable.

Fl
Jen
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
So, you’ve read ‘The One’ and ‘The Passengers’, it’s time to finish up the saga and see how the British government is experimenting with storing all of their secrets and data to protect the country from the ever present Hackers! We follow five ‘Minders’ as they keep these secrets in genetic code 🧬 in their brains. We watch the story unfold from all of their POVs as they work to lead ‘normal’ lives while keeping their guard up against hackers who will take their lives for the info in their brains ...more
megs_bookrack

This sounds like it is going to be eerie and highly suspenseful. As Techno-Thriller's go, y'all know I'm down for that.

ARC received!!!

Thank you so much, Berkley. You are soooooo good to me and I greatly appreciate it!

DeAnn
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, library-reads
4.5 futuristic stars

Finally! A favorite author with a recent book that is just as strong as earlier books. I feel like in the last year I have been disappointed so many times with usually reliable authors. I’m glad to say that John Marrs does not disappoint with this one!

This tale, set in the future, features the UK reaction to the Hacking Collective. This terrorist group is holding several countries and their data hostage and the UK thinks they have a solution. Well, a few key people in the UK
Carolyn
In his new thriller John Marrs has once again given us a highly original story, taking us back into his futuristic world of autonomous vehicles and gene matching for the perfect marriage that he established in The Passengers and The One. This time, the world is threatened by the group known as the Hacking Collective, who are hacking into highly classified government documents and blackmailing countries to not reveal their darkest secrets. Several countries have already been bankrupted and Britai ...more
Kat (Books are Comfort Food!)
This is a highly enthralling and fascinating book for which i was completely engrossed. I apologize to anyone I may have offended, as I ignored you while reading this book.

I read Marrs books slowly, as to avoid missing important tidbits and I frequently feel the need to think about what I’ve just read.

The minders is the 3rd futuristic (not fantasy) book by John Marrs, following “The One” and “The Passengers”. All three books are so well-written and so become believable, especially the times in
Louise Wilson
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the future where five specially selected people are trained and medically manipulated to store the country's most sensitive data into their brains. Together the five Minders know every secret behind the Government's lies, cover ups and conspiracy theories. But someone knows who the five are. One by one, they are being hunted down.

This is a fast paced read that's full of twists and lots of characters who have complicated lives. Each chapter is told from a different Minders point of view.
Sonja Arlow
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
I was sooooo looking forward to this book. This author is normally a sure thing with me as his books consistently deliver imaginative fast paced escapism.

This book also contains elements of The One and The Passengers (both which I loved) so it ticked all the boxes.

But the story felt unnecessarily convoluted and although all his books ask you to suspend belief a little the core concept of this one was just flawed from the get-go.

The UK government is so desperate to protect their most sensitive in
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Set in a future world, the UK's cyber security is compromised and there seems to be no traditional safe way to keep it from the Hacking Collective. If breached, not only will the country's secrets be exposed, but thousands if not millions of lives will be lost in terrorist attacks and as a result of the ensuing anarchy. Desperate and terrified to fail her country, the British Prime Minister reluctantly agrees to a radical new approach to keep the data safe - storing it in the bodies and minds of ...more
Pauline
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoy reading John Marrs books and I was delighted to receive an advanced copy of his new book The Minders.
I enjoyed this book and all it’s twists and turns about a government programme to install the nation’s secrets into the brains of members of the public to keep it safe from cyber attacks.
Some really good characters and the tension grew from Chaper to Chaper.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK - Cornerstone for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Another fantastic read from john Marrs. Loved how it tied into The One and Passengers, very cleverly done.

Highly recommend
Linda Harris
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bit of a strange one.... Story seemed bit far fetched but as you get into the book you think nah maybe it's not !
I really enjoyed it .... The ending is ...... Well you'll have to read this book and find out 😆
This is only my 2nd John Marrs book but that will be rectified ASAP

• My Lovely Wife
  • The Ringmaster (Sam Shephard #2)
  • Overkill (Sam Shephard #1)
  • Blubber
  • Anne of the Island / Anne's House of Dreams
  • Sin Eater
  • The Mist (Hidden Iceland #3)
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Breakfast at Bronzefield
  • The Pull of the Stars
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Gray Genesis
  • Blood Red City
  • Anxious People
  • The Man Who Loved Islands
  • Gallows Rock (Children's House #4)
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
John Marrs is the author of #1 Best Sellers The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Welcome to Wherever You Are, Her Last Move, The Passengers, The Minders and What Lies Between Us.
The One has been translated into 30 different languages and is to be turned into an eight-part Netflix series starting in autumn 2020.
After working as a journalist for 25-years interviewing celebrities from