Start by marking “Tell Me Lies” as Want to Read:
Tell Me Lies

Tell Me Lies

Margot’s clients all lie to her, but one lie could cost her family and freedom.

Psychologist Margot Scott has a picture-perfect life: a nice house in the suburbs, a husband, two children, and a successful career. On a warm spring morning, Margot spots one of her clients on a busy train platform. He is looking down at his phone, with his duffel bag in hand as the train appro
Paperback, Trade, 257 pages
Published December 29th 2020 by Hachette Australia (first published March 6th 2020)

Start your review of Tell Me Lies
Shaelyn
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an Audible Freebie and one of the best I've chosen. It was very well paced, not too predictable, and I was able to feel some empathy with some of the characters. I was a bit confused at a couple points and had to rewind to understand some minor points, also- and this is super petty, but there's a character whose name is July which, for some reason, didn't sit well with me- every time that character came up I found myself thinking about how ridiculous I thought it was- I know it's silly ...more
Brianna
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Dude! This book was awesome, honestly one of the best audiobooks I’ve listened to and I normally strongly dislike the Audible Originals. I’m a huge fan of thrillers in general but this book is definitely in my top three. I loved all of the connections and twenty minutes before the end of the book I had determined that I really hated the ending; I finished the book and loved it. Great ending. Very captivating book.
Jan
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a page-turner that did not disappoint! I listened to the audio, and the reader was excellent!
Nusa
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
My Jaw is still on the floor

The best twists you really don't see coming.
I found this a nice read until half way through, then boom a big twist.
Then I thought "no more twists" then I got another slap in the face. A great listen, but one you must listen to all the way through.
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Another twisty and addictive story from JP Pomare. I listened to this in a day. I had no idea where this was going, right until the very end.

Highly recommend this quick read.
J.E.
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely actually leave reviews, just usually star ratings. So you know the book touched me in some way! I want to give this book way more than five stars. It starts out building suspense and just when you think you’ve got it figured out, bam! Plot twist. And so your sitting there listening and you’re like “oh wow, I know how all this is going to end” and then you don’t. The ending comes out of nowhere and just leaves you stunned. Damn good read. Definitely recommend.
Kadri
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book in the evening and found myself wide eyed and awake in the cold morning hours finishing it, unable to stop. The narrator was fantastic and this is hands down the best Audible original I have ever found.
Sara Estrada
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really recommend this book it’s crazy, but I’m pretty sure you guys will like it. Cannot believe the ending it was so shocking..
Craig
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific psychological thriller. Narrated with the preciseness that most novels lack.
Richard Dean
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved every aspect of this title -- concept, structure, pacing, characters, plot points. The narrator's performance was also exquisite. ...more
Ilana
I don’t really know what to say about these books. These psychological thrillers coming out every week like newly sprouted mushrooms. I almost always know going in that I’ll feel let down by how predictable so much of it will be. I read them because they’re ok for entertainment and as a way to keep myself from ruminating on useless thought patterns. But they just seem so tame somehow. Nicely packaged thrills & chills.

She’s particularly interested in antisocial types, this head doctor of ours—ps
Cindy Koch-Krol
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept my interest to the last page and then I just worried and wondered.

No spoilers. Just one gigantic twist at the end that made all the difficult situations in this book all worthwhile!

I have to say, I enjoyed this read. Even though it left me with a lot of anxiety. But then the main character is a psychologist. Too many lines are crossed, two many protocols ignored, I should have seen it coming, but the fact that I didn't makes it even more of a conundrum.

What am I talking about?
Jultri
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
DNF 50 %. Crossing professional boundaries - one of my pet hates. I'm sure it's leading to some plot twist of sorts, but I really don't care enough about any of the characters to find out.

The narration was puzzling at times. Why bother to go through the effort of simulating a phone call (with ringing and altered voice like it's over a phone line) for supposed realism just to have the voice being of the incorrect gender?
Lauren
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a free audible book and was def worth it. I really liked it! So well narrated, and I did not see what happened coming at all. It was so good, highly recommend.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

‘But I don’t know what the truth is, and which are the lies anymore.’

I have kept J.P. Pomare on my radar since I read his debut novel Call Me Evie. After a second helping of Pomare’s brilliant writing thanks to his next release, In the Clearing, I was eager to begin my third experience of this accomplished thriller novelist’s work. Tell Me Lies travels at supersonic speed, issuing the reader with a complex psychological based story, that thrills from the fir
Sheila Chester
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Speechless ending. Please write more!
JP Seabury
Snap! And just like that, I'm a J.P. Pomare fan. This work is FREE this month on Audible.com. Definitely recommend, catch it while you can. ...more
Miranda Okleberry
Little bit of language, but other than that this is a fantastic book! The narration is amazing. The plot was well paced and keeps you engaged. There were a couple of good twists I did not see coming and one massive one that totally shocked me. Well done.
Miriam
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars audio
4 fucked up ending stars story.
Cora
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free Audible Original, and one of the better ones that they've offered.

This psychological thriller takes place in Australia in the home and office of psychologist Margot Scott. When her family falls victim to an arsonist, she suspects one of her clients. I won't give any of this story away. It is well worth a listen. Not entirely predictable, with lots of twists and turns, right up until the end. Highly recommend.
Michelle Only Wants to Read
3.5 bumped to 4

It's been a while since I enjoyed an Audible Original this much. I liked how the story grabs you right away and it keeps you interested in seeing this train wreck crash, and boy! It crashes hard and loud.

There may be many things to criticize about the story, and it may make you flinch many times if you are a mental health provider, but even with all of that, I think it was greatly enjoyable. Suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride!
Eden
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had Pomare on my list of authors I was interested in. Then this month, Audible Original offered Tell Me Lies... I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! Gripping with constant ways to hook you, even the last 2 minutes of the book hit you with a twist!
Kaleah
Probably 3.5 stars rounded up!

As someone who tends to dislike many of the popular thrillers these days, particularly psychological and domestic thrillers, I didn't expect much from this, but little else interested me from the Audible free originals this month. I don't even think I chose any last month, so I took a chance because the blurb about a man getting pushed into an incoming train sounded interesting (don't judge me 😬).

I was pulled into the story immediately. Despite not liking many psyc
JJ Dunaway
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable thriller story full of twist and suspense. I will look for more by this author and the narration was great as well on the audible. Good pacing throughout and kept my interest all the way through.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
One of the better audible original freebies.
Lee
I recently read and enjoyed In the Clearing, so I thought I’d give this, Pomare’s third offering, a go.

The book starts and finishes with a man being pushed in front of a train by a woman. In between, of course, Pomare keeps us guessing as to who these two characters might be and just why they’ve ended up in this position.

Margot is married with two teenage kids and works as a psychologist. The story advances from a month before the train incident and is told in Margot’s first person point of vi
Bea Villaflor
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-crime
Actual rating: 4.5
I was captivated! Listened this on audiobook and it just got me hooked.
The twists were great and I also love the delivery of the reader.
David
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychologists, teenage girls, husbands, all with unfortunate relationships
Pretty good thriller about a psychotherapist who has some creepy clients and serious boundary issues.

For an Audible original, this was a decent story, though the protagonist, Margot Scott, was really starting to annoy me by midway through, with her lack of acknowledgment of her own culpability. Turns out, I was meant to be annoyed.

Years ago, when she was just starting out, Margot had a brief "inappropriate relationship" with a client who subsequently committed suicide. Her loving (boring) husban
Cherish
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What?! This kept me guessing until the very end!
Play Book Tag: [PB}Tell me Lies, by J.P. Pomare, 3 stars 1 17 Apr 23, 2020 02:37PM

• Second Skin
  • Blood Territory The Death of Jimmy O'Connell
  • The Cuckoo's Cry
  • The Getaway
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #0.7)
  • Inside Jobs: Tales from a Time of Quarantine
  • The Mountain and the Sea
  • Finding Tess: A Mother's Search for Answers in a Dopesick America
  • Henrietta & Eleanor: A Retelling of Jekyll and Hyde
J. P. Pomare was raised on a horse farm in rural New Zealand where he lived until he was eighteen before deciding to travel. After years abroad, including a twelve months living in North America, he settled in Melbourne, Australia and has lived there since.

His debut novel Call Me Evie was released to critical acclaim and won the 2019 Ngaio Marsh Award for best first novel. In The Clearing is his s

News & Interviews