Start by marking “Within The Shadows: A contract for life (With Emma Series)” as Want to Read:
Within The Shadows: A contract for life (With Emma Series)

Within The Shadows: A contract for life (With Emma Series)

Within the Shadows, Book Two of With Emma Series

Emma’s world is rocked as the real monster lurking in the shadows is unveiled.

Emma Andrews’ last memory of her mother is seeing her bleeding to death on the bathroom floor. Several years later, Emma is kidnapped and forced to face the same monster that killed her mother. Quickly, Emma—a daydreamer with an inventive personali
Paperback
Published August 28th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Within The Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within The Shadows

Start your review of Within The Shadows: A contract for life (With Emma Series)
Dash fan
4☆ A Gritty and Dark Romantic Suspense.

Within the Shadows is the second book in the series. Although it can be read as a standalone, there is a lot of content in book one that I feel the reader would really benefit from, if they read the books in order.

I'm not going to say anything about the plot as i don't want to risk spoiling anything for those yet to read book one and believe me the first book is brilliant!

Within the Shadows still has plenty of danger and lots of suspense but it does feel a
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Although this is a stand-alone I really wish I had have read book one as I really enjoyed this story.

Emma has had a tough life trying to move on from her past. The last thing she wants is to relive what happened but that’s what Emma has to do when she gets kidnapped. I really liked Emma. I thought she was a tough cookie- thankfully.

I’m definitely gonna be going back to read book one. Great read.
Kate A
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
I have to say I was quite surprised at the difference between this book and the first in the series. Withstanding The Enemy was a lot darker and heavier and I was expecting something similar for this book but actually whilst there were still some darker elements overall this felt lighter and definitely played more to the romance side, which I loved.

The focus on this book was Emma fighting her demons and seeing if she can overcome them and I really appreciated that after all the trauma of the fir
Shae
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed Emma's character arc in this second book. The guy she spends the most time with seems to be the best for who she is now. Our big bad is still a big disgusting butt-faced miscreant, and I am very much not happy about our CLIFFHANGER ENDING!!? Can't wait to see how book 3 turns out. I am invested in Emma and the current guy, so I want to see where this goes. ...more
Rajiv
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

I was not even aware that this was second book in a series, yet the book was entertaining as a standalone.

The author makes the story exciting right from page one, where Jarrett kidnaps Emma. However, the characters stand out in the story, particularly Emma. Emma goes through a lot, and it was interesting to see how she connects with others. Moreover, I loved her story with Andy and thought they had amazing chemistry. But, I felt
Karen
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emma has four men vying for her attention and love. She was orphaned when she was a young girl and grew up in the system for the most part. One of the men that wants her for his own is twisted and he found a way to keep himself in her life for a time while she was in the Foster System, but then Jarrett Gage lost track of her when he left the job as her counselor. One man wants to marry her and is in love with her, but she believes he is the man that abused her and hurt her when she was a little ...more
Sharon
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In order to move on with her tragic past, a woman must let it all go, the pain, the love, the grief, and believe in herself and her strength to take revenge on the monster that once broke her.

I recommend that one read Book 1 before they pick this book up. There is just too much going on that needs to be explained in more detail. Even though I read the first book some time ago, it still took me a while to figure who was who again.

Emma is emotionally broken by men who abused her, caged her, and pr
Jocelyne
Mar 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the With Emma Series, a Dark Romantic Suspense. You have to listen to this series in order. Emma's story continues where the first book left off. She is a wonderful character. Her story is darkly twisted, and breathtaking. Chance, Andy, and Rick are fantastic and intriguing supporting characters. Jarrett is devilishly twisted. The story is told with multiple POV. The storyline is enthralling, intricate, suspenseful, filled with danger, action, and twists and turns. The ...more
Jane Hunt
I reviewed the first book in the series Withstanding the Enemy as an audiobook, but I have enjoyed reading the second in the series Within the Shadows. This book picks up on the cliffhanger at the end of the first book. It's a progression, so it's best to read book one first.

Emma's traumatic life continues with the introduction of someone from her past. This book focuses on Emma's internal struggle, as she faces her fears, and emerges stronger. A new romantic focus balances the recurring theme o
Ronel Olver
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is as dark, gripping and intriguing as the first one and Emma continues to remember her life before Rick and makes some startling discoveries about Rick, while discovering the true monster in her life when the monster kidnaps her. Chase continues to be at her side to protect her but is joined by Andy and the rest of the security team. Some interesting plot developments and twists and turns. The book ends in a huge cliffhanger and I can't wait to read the final book.

I received a free c
Vicki Stephens
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Within The Shadows is a suspenseful thriller you will not be able to put down. It continues the story of Emma, Rick, and Chance. A new dark character is added to the storyline which changes the outcome of the story. This well written book ends in a cliffhanger and is a phenomenal read.

Andrea Leasure
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic read! Emma’s journey continues in this 2nd book. The transition between the different characters in the book brings a new perspective into understanding where each is coming from personally and helps explain their backstories as the story develops. Can’t wait for book 3 of the Emma trilogy to see what happens next for Emma!
Gloria
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a continuation of the first book in the series Withstanding the Enemy. This book goes more into Emma's background. New characters are introduced and a possible new love interest. This book also ends in a cliff hanger.

S I
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this work. This book did not disappoint. The author really keeps your attention from beginning to end, leaving you anticipating more.

Coley Thayer
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good series

I received the first book in the series with my monthly romance subscription box and have been looking forward to each book that follows. Emma continues to grow as a person and it's intriguing. Twists and turns along the way.
Jenny Lech
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was different than I thought it would be or imagined what it would be..... but holy cow, I was drawn in like no other. Great book!
Ashley
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t put it down!!
Tiziana Langone
Will Emma be able to escape her demons?

Emma and Chance are falling in love, but will their love have an opportunity to blossom? Emma is facing the last events of trying to escape her fiancé Rick.
But escaping Rick suddenly doesn’t appear to be the biggest danger. There is someone else lurking in the shadows and will go lengths to get his hands on her.
She has to rely on Andy to keep her safe. But Andy finds himself attracted to Emma more and more. And even Emma is finding it hard to resist him.

Deb
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating tale of mystery, suspense and intrigue. The shadowish nature of this book kept me captivated throughout the entire book. I loved how the author created each character- making some more likable than others but still leaving doubt as to their real intentions. It was an amazing story.

I requested a copy of this book so I could provide an honest review.
Ruthlessreaderofromance
Oct 19, 2020
T.L. Mahrt
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Mullins
brooke
Nov 22, 2020
Waad
Nov 26, 2020

• My Bestie's Ex (The Rooftop Crew, #1)
  • Hadley Beckett's Next Dish
  • Princess Ballot (Royals of Arbon Academy, #1)
  • Christmas at Carly's Cupcakes
  • Not Myself Today
  • Starry Skies Over The Chocolate Pot Cafe
  • A Stargazy Night Sky (A Little Hotel in Cornwall Book 7)
  • Life in the Chastity Zone (Chastity Series, #1)
  • Wolves' Queen (The Royal Heir, #1)
  • Cruel Seduction (Underground Kings #2)
  • The House Mate
  • Fin & Rye & Fireflies
  • I Don't Do Mondays!
  • The Punishment
  • The Two Lives of Maddie Meadows
  • Eden (Project Arma, #2)
  • One Night in Monaco (Billionaires in Disguise: Maxence #0.5)
  • Rose's Choice: A heart-wrenching wartime saga of love, family and secrets (The Colliery Rows Book 1)
T. L. Mahrt is a former business owner, where she utilized her education in cosmetology, barbering and massage therapy for several years. She was raised on and is currently living on a farm in Nebraska, where you can find her running barefoot in the country side with her loving husband and inspiring children and massive dogs.

After having her son, who was born with Cerebral Palsy, she made the lif

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...