Start by marking “The Story of the Jews: A 4,000-Year Adventure--A Graphic History Book” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Jews: A 4,000-Year Adventure--A Graphic History Book

The Story of the Jews: A 4,000-Year Adventure--A Graphic History Book

A Fresh Look at 4,000 Years of Jewish History--Authoritative, Complete...Funny Through witty, illustrated narrative, celebrated artist Stan Mack will take you on a rewarding pictorial journey through 4,000 years of ups and downs in Jewish history. The first "graphic history book" of its kind, The Story of the Jews celebrates the major characters and events that have shaped ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Jewish Lights Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Jews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Jews

Start your review of The Story of the Jews: A 4,000-Year Adventure--A Graphic History Book
Elizabeth
This comic book history is a great introduction to Jewish history and culture. It covers a lot of ground in a very short space, touching on a broad span of time and physical area, and manages to be incredibly accessible as it does. It's a bit out of date by this point (published a little over twenty years ago), but it manages to cover more than enough for folks in need of a place to start. The author keeps a good sense of humour about it all, which makes it more enjoyable to read.

Recommended for
Ruth Adar
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: judaica
OK, so it isn't exhaustive. A truly exhaustive history of the Jews takes up an entire library shelf. For a reasonable overview of Jewish history, you can't do much better than this little book.

I recommend it to my Introduction to the Jewish Experience classes at Lehrhaus Judaica, because it is a quick read and I can supplement it with other short readings. Stan Mack has done an amazing job.

Enjoy, and then if you are hungry for more, start looking at the big fat wordy history books with no pictu
Jos dujardin
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
A very good and fast read on the fascinating story of a people, scattered around the (western) world and a good introduction into words that otherwise remain obscure such as haskalah.
I am very impressed by the hardship this people underwent, and how they were able to take this as an advantage as they got out of the Ghetto's and pretty much thrived in business and entertainment.
I found this a great introduction, and I love his drawing style.
kylie (allegedly)
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars of david
Michelle L
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The comic book format pretty much blew me away and gave me an amazingly broad historical survey that in a text or serious tome would have required a lot more intensive attention. (I've done that too), but this was such a fun sweep. There were characters and incidents of which I'd been wholly unaware. Yay for Beruriah and boo on the necessary but appalling bar Kochba. I never knew. If only I knew some kids to give it to, it'd be perfect for 8 years old up -- and up. ...more
Emilia P
Apr 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
YAY. I really enjoyed this. I learned some new things and saw the way some things connected to each other and for the most part appreciated the goofiness. On the other hand, the vast amount of time it had to cover in single panels made it sort of choppy. And it was very history focused rather than custom focused. Which is cool. I got other books for that. Jews!
Kristy
Apr 04, 2007 rated it liked it
So it has pictures and glosses over major historical events! I'm not saying it beats a real jaunt into research, but I did enjoy the brush up from 4000 yrs ago till now and it gave me a different perspective from which I was brought up in. AND . . . sue me, but the pictures were at times quite funny. ...more
Devorah
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: judaica
Fun, informative cartoon history of the Jews. Engaging for older children and teens. A useful conversation starter for parents.
Jim
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i love this book and stan mack's work ...more
Iona Bacht
Bruno Pinho
Nov 09, 2020
Sue
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a pretty impressive feat, to retell Jewish history from the beginning of the Hebrew Bible up to the present day, in one graphic volume, & to do it accurately & with balance. I really enjoyed this book; I would also recommend it to anyone who wants to "brush up" their knowledge of Jewish history, or who is just starting. ...more
Rob
Aug 16, 2015
Emily Bengels
Dec 28, 2012
Josette
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this with my 10-year-old son, who thought it was funny and now knows a lot more about his people. I also really enjoyed it and thought it handled the difficult stuff with humor and insight.
Marina Speranza
rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Quincas Borba
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
  • The Social Contract and Discourses
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Music of What Happens
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • A Kiss in Time
  • Chincoteague Ponies
  • Rio Grande Stories
  • Enemy in the Fort (American Girl History Mysteries, #13)

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...