Start by marking “All the Pretty Lies” as Want to Read:

All the Pretty Lies

Sham.
Fraud.
Hoax.
All words that describe my relationship with Callum Hanson.

It didn’t start out that way.
We used to be friends.
That is until high school, when Callum decided he was too cool to be seen with his less than popular next-door neighbor.
Published February 12th 2021

To ask other readers questions about All the Pretty Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Pretty Lies

Start your review of All the Pretty Lies
Ria  | Abstract ♥ Books

ALL MY REVIEWS CAN BE FOUND ON MY BLOG: ABSTRACT BOOKS

line

Star Rating : 3.5/5

POV : Dual

Cliffhanger : No

Hero : Callum . He was the clueless Douche who had history with Poppy and I didn't like him as a hero.

Heroine : Poppy was the sweet girl next door type. She had insecurities and was trying to overcome them .

Pace of the story : Slow

Angst Rating : 3/10

Heat Rating : 3/10

Triggers Involved : Insecurities about body and looks by the h.

Plot Summary :
Poppy and Callum were best friend
rhubooks
Meh classic, nothing special but passed the time when I can’t get into anything heavy or long while I do my uni work.
Thuy Taylor
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Childhood friends to enemies to friends/fake relationship to love. Poppy and Callum used to be really close. Childhood friends but it all changed one day, leaving Poppy wondering what went wrong. They are opposites, he's popular, she is more reserved and in the less popular crowd. Out of each others lives but during their senior trip, it all changes. A fake relationship to help her get the guy she's crushing on, but there is more to Callum and his feelings for Poppy than she thinks.

This is a hig
Syd Ryan
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
A YA novel I wasn’t expecting, but an enjoyable read. Best of friends for several years, and then a cold turkey stop that changes a course upon the high school years. Good book.

Happy📖 Reading
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
-Sara, ☆☆☆☆

I chose this book solely from the blurb. I have been really into bully romances so I thought this one would be a good choice even though I wouldn’t call it so much a bully romance. It did peak my interest very early in.

P is in her senior year of school and home life isn’t the best life but luckily she has her two best friends to get her through everything. She’s lived a life where she thought she was invincible to everyone at school. Little did she know she was untouchable. After spe
Kari Hansen
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Growing up Poppy and Callum where not only neighbors but best friends as well or at least they were until he ended their relationship which didn’t help her lack of confidence. She has surrounded herself with two great friends, but it will take her interest in another boy to bring Callum back into her life.

Callum is a star both on and off the field and is well aware of Poppy’s feelings for Ethan. He decides to break the ice between them by helping her get Ethan’s attention by pretending they are
Faith89
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
High school romance. Poppy had a crush on Ethan who didn’t pay any attention to her. Callum has an ex he wants to irritate. The plan: fake date to help them both out. They didn’t count on their feelings becoming involved and their fake relationship evolving.
Nice high schoolStory with high school situations: Crushes, friendships, drama. Easy to read with a plot that was easy to follow. Poppy’s friends were the best. Always having her back. Poppy was insecure and made her decisions concerning he
Lauren Crofts
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-review
Read this in half a day, loved it.
This definitely isn’t my go to book considering how much of a cliche it is, but for some reason I didn’t mind at all when it came to this novel.
Who doesn’t love a good frenemy relationship?
And I have to say I found it to be very much a mixture of some of the classic YA novels such as : The Duff, To All the Boys i’ve Loved Before and The Kissing Booth etc.
Some parts I questioned, like when her friends were basically pressuring her to have sex, or the overuse o
Read.Review.Repeat Blog
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
What a good "coming of age, enemies to lovers" story. Poppy and Callum were friends growing up until they weren't. High school is such a myriad of emotions for anyone. As Polly and Callum reunite under the guise of a ruse, they soon discover feelings resurfacing and maybe the feeling between them are real. This is a sweet story of opening your heart and taking a chance. ...more
Ashley Cestra
Feb 17, 2021 rated it liked it
I have never read this author before, while the storyline was intriguing it took me a while to get fully invested in it, and even then my attention was wavering. However, I enjoyed the idea of the main plot, and did want to see the characters relationship through the end!
Cassie
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: next-up
This book had me emotionally charged; one minute I was angry, the next I felt a sense of pride, mad one, then smiling the next...Yes, it had me all over the board. The one thing that never changed was the fact that Poppy's mother was such an ugly woman, but I loved the way Poppy handled her. This story definitely reminded me of how crazy teenagers think and the fun they have with a group. The end was perfect leaving me able to say that I love Callum & Poppy!

R
Feb 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
DNF 52%

Ok I’ll start this book almost in the dark , “almost” being the keyword because I read the firsts words from the synopsis and already knew this look like my kind of book the words ? Well ... something like Sham, Fraud and Hoax hahaha See? Looks like something I could like . Well, well ,well the name of our female lead is Poppy ? Damn I hope she can be a real badass like my favorite Poppy ( From Blood and Ash) yeah you have big shoes to fill girl ....but what I really ,really hope is th
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time Callum Hanson was one of the most important people in her life, her best friend... and also her secret crush. They were pretty much inseparable, until one day Callum walked away without so much as a goodbye. They haven't spoken a word to one another since Freshman year, and have essentially become enemies. He is the most popular boy at school and is constantly swarmed by girls vying for his attention. While Poppy enjoys her nice quiet little bubble, far, far, away from him.

Then
Shy Gawerecki
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
This contemporary romance by Melissa Toppen was in a high school setting but with 18 year old characters in their last few months of senior year. The two main characters Callum and Poppy were friends when they were younger but have been strangers at best during their high school years. They end up concocting a plan to fake date to gain the attention of someone for Poppy and make someone jealous for Callum. And of course, the fake dating leads to real feelings and the two need to figure out how t ...more
Shawn
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading Poppy & Callum’s story. This book was given as an ARC for an honest review.
The story begins with Poppy and her friends Camila & April. They are getting excited for the class trip weekend at the lake. Everyone will be there including Poppy’s crush Ethan! But plans change when Poppy sees Ethan hanging all over another girl.
Callum who is Poppy’s neighbor (former friend) notices that she’s interested in Ethan and forms a plan with Poppy.
She decides to go along with this p
Melissa Mendoza
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing

"Just because we're pretending doesn't mean we can't have a little fun along the way."

5 Just Friends Stars!!! Cute, sweet, and everything I needed today!

Callum is the hottie next door, super popular, and could have any girl he wanted. Poppy is the quiet girl next door, who isn't popular and definitely doesn't have boys falling all over her. Callum and Poppy used to be best friends as kids, but high school happened and they went their separate ways... politics of high school
Maria Angie Mendoza
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of heart!
I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that this was really not your typical high school seniors, childhood friends, enemies to fake romance.
Yeah, I thought I knew how this story was going to go and indeed it is how Callum and P aka Poppy’s story starts out.
However, even from the beginning I found there was something about Poppy and Callum that was a little more complicated, thus making their story more heartfelt.
I discovered there was more to them as indivi
Stacie Christensen
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Sham.
Fraud.
Hoax.
All words that describe my relationship with Callum Hanson.

It didn’t start out that way.
We used to be friends.
So, imagine my surprise when out of the blue, after nearly four years of pretending like I don’t exist, he offers to swoop in and save the day by promising to help me catch the eye of the boy I’ve been pining after for nearly two years.

The only catch…
I h
Gladys
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a good read. This book incorporates multiple tropes with a high school/about to be college age couple taking center stage. There were many things to like about this book. The storyline was engaging, well written and kept me entertained. I found the female lead character immensely likable. Poppy's sweetness, insecurities and the challenges she faced at home made her relatable, genuine and someone you could only want the best for. And that right there turned into a bit of a problem for me ...more
Roxs Reads
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Teenage drama and angst isn't normally my thing but anything author Melissa Toppen writes is!  Poppy stole my heart! How could I not fall in love with a responsible girl who believes Rumchata and Fireball is the best drink ever! We are soul-sisters for sure.

All The Pretty Lies focuses on a group of teens finishing up their last year of high school, enjoying a few last hoorahs while preparing for their future. High school might be all fun and games for some, but what happens when you meet "the o
Megb
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
Poppy Harris is a nobody, she has her two best friends but she isn't popular and doesn't have guys falling at her feet..

Callum Hanson is her next door neighbor, popular and oh so good looking with girls all over him all the time..

So 4 stars you ask. Yes. This books is super cliché and completely predictable but it was what I was looking for. I wanted the cheesy 80's romance movie vibes and this book cheesily delivered. Don't judge.

Callum and Poppy were best friends as kids and then one day th
Illa
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
3-CE5227-D-BE69-40-D9-862-C-8052-C5-E82-FCD

The words use and overall review shouldn’t reflect personally on the author or any other of her series and books.

YESSSSSS!! A YA Romance Boook! Why does it feel like they are extinct!
The reason it’s a 4 stars and not 5 it’s that it was just like any other YA Romance book.
We get the unpopular high school girl who has a crush on a popular kid (not the lead) , the friends that are more cooler than her just not cool enough to be on the popular clique... oooh she is the duff in a sense.
The le
JJ -
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book so much! It had all the things I didn't know I had been craving: high school romance, childhood friends-to-enemies-to-lovers, fake relationship, light on the drama and dirtiness but enough to keep me engaged. And engaged I was! I just couldn't seem to get enough of Poppy and Callum. Their chemistry was palpable and hit you right in the feels. I wanted an epilogue after the epilogue.

Poppy is one of my favorite female main characters so far this year. Aside from the fact that she
Julie Reveles (Juls ~ ILST BLOG)
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
“ Have you ever wanted something so bad, so fucking bad, that you felt like you couldn’t breathe without it? But then at the same time, for reasons you don’t entirely understand, you won’t let yourself have it.”

It was so nice to read a story and be completely captivated by it so quickly! I needed a good book, so I’m so glad that I connected with this story from the very beginning. I seriously couldn’t put it down. Melissa Toppen’s stories are quickly becoming some of my favorites!

Reading C
Sara Gross
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
First of all, I am going to preface this by saying I love Melissa Toppen. I love her writing style and her stories. Now with this story, it is about high school seniors and that is a bit young for me, so I did struggle to get into the book because of that. I typically don’t read anything younger than college-age and that is even pushing it sometimes depending on behavior. BUT, once I started to find my groove, got into the characters, I really liked the story of Callum and Poppy. Poppy has been ...more
Andrea
I think Melissa Toppen has a young adult hit on her hands! I generally don't gravitate to high school romances but I fell hard for this couple. Poppy and Callum are hearts all around. I love their back story. They used to be real close growing up but drifted apart once those pesky high school years hit. During their senior year, they reconnected. Their journey is full of witty banter, confusing signals, and swoon worthy moments. I found myself deeply rooting for them. I had a hard time putting t ...more
Michelle
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
If you like high school romances, I think you'll love this.
If you like girl/boy next door you'll love this.
If you like bully romances you'll love this.
If you like second chance you'll love this.
If you like fake dating, you'll love this.

As you can see, this has multiple tropes.

I will say, many of these tropes are NOT my jam. But this was still a good read. I'm of the mindset of I want Poppy's DAD's story. LOL.

Poppy and Callum are next door neighbors. They were also friends. That is until o
Leann
Feb 10, 2021 added it
This was such a fun fake dating trope. While it was definitely predictable, it was still a fun read!

Poppy is the neighbor of the most popular boy in school, Callum. They used to be best friends until the beginning of high school, when something changed.

That all changes through, at the senior week camping trip, when Callum recommends they begin fake dating to catch the attention of Poppy’s long time cash and make Callum’s ex jealous.

I was surprised by how much drinking and sex was discussed by hi
Jennifer Pierson
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Poppy & Callum are neighbors who used to be friends until they weren't. They now run in different circles as he's the popular boy with no shortage of girls hanging off of him, while she has her two best friends and no boys looking at her twice. Her self-esteem is low which made me sad but it's not uncommon for this age group. Poppy & Callum are now seniors, and he's decided to pay attention to her again, as he tells her what to do to catch the eye of a boy she's crushing on by being in a fake re ...more
Nicole
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Talk about an enjoyable read! This is a friends-to-enemies-to-fake relationship romance. Loved the friendship between Callum and Poppy, although he acted like a typical new teenager when it came to his changing feelings for Poppy and decided to put a moratorium on their friendship. Unfortunately, Poppy never knew the reason why Callum put an end to their friendship, until Poppy's attention is centered on another young man they attend school with. Loved Poppy's character, she wasn't the popular g ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Enemy Dearest
  • Fighting For You (The Callahans, #5)
  • Savage Devil (Devils of Sun Valley High, #2)
  • Villain of Secrets (Verona Legacy, #3)
  • I Thee Take
  • Legend (Rosewood High, #7)
  • Call Me Crazy (Bellamy Creek, #3)
  • The Kiss (Playboy Pact #1)
  • Close Quarters
  • Campus King
  • My Kind of Love (Finding Love #1)
  • Nate
  • Forevermore
  • Dare To Love
  • Malicious
  • Hate Me
  • Twist of Fate
  • The Seasons of Callan Reed
Melissa Toppen is a USA Today Bestselling Author who specializes in New Adult and Contemporary Romance. She is a lover of books and enjoys nothing more than losing herself in a good novel. She has a soft spot for Romance and focuses her writing in that direction; writing what she loves to read.
Melissa resides in Cincinnati Ohio with her husband and two children, where she writes full time.

Connect