Start by marking “Reach for the Summit” as Want to Read:
Reach for the Summit

Reach for the Summit

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  502 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"I'm someone who will push you beyond all reasonable limits.  Someone who will ask you not to just fulfill your potential but to exceed it.  Someone who will expect more from you than you may believe you are capable of.  So if you aren't ready to go to work, shut this book."
--Pat Summitt

Pat Summitt, head coach of the University of Tennessee Lady Vols, is a phenomenon in wo
Published April 13th 1999 by Crown Business (first published January 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Reach for the Summit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reach for the Summit

Stacy Parrish
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: coaches
Shelves: oldfavorites
I love Pat Summitt. I love her because she does not just coach basketball, but she teaches girls how to become women. I read this book often. She is a constant compass in my own life and in my own coaching career. Her words stay with me...If you are a coach, this is a must read.
hamptonenglish10
Lindsey Swain
Ms. Emmett
Book Review
7 January 2012

Pat Summitt head coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols is amazing in all of women’s basketball. Her ferociously competitive teams have won three NCAA championships in a row. The Lady Vols posted a historic 39-0 record in the 1997-98 season. Now, in this ground breaking motivational book, Summitt explains her formula for success, which she calls the “Definite Dozen System.” In each chapter Summitt talks about one of the systems principles, such as respo
Lindsay Pinell
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible.
Calli
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book about becoming better and more successful people. It is very easy to read, full of great advice and reminders, with lots of personal examples to illustrate her points. Pat has been head coach of the women's basketball team at Tennessee (since she was 22) for 34 years. She is very upfront with her weaknesses and mistakes, so that we can learn from the bad as well as the good. I started this book a while ago, but had to set it aside to catch-up on library books. I finally ...more
gosobooks.com
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pat takes you through her family background values that shaped her person in adulthood and talked about fundamentally character formation and attitude, which she splitted into the definite 12 system for succeeding and the good part is that she talks about the failures as well and she used them for further success in her chosen career and above all, she is a family person and not the typical modern day "feminists" who only go about making so much noise but little effort to make the world a better ...more
Lane
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a must read for me when I was in highschool. Not only in the sense that it was written by a legend in women's basketball but also because Coach said we had to read it. Yes, I had basketball summer reading. Welcome to the world of Tennessee girl's basketball. This book does not only provide inspiration but also a look into the life of a remarkable woman.
Kathleen Hiler
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was inspirational for sure. Pat Summit became a hero for me at the time. I was moved by her story of how she was raised, her relationships in life, and how she became a became a winning coach. Her career was certainly about more than winning. Her players either loved her or hated her..but hey all played thier best fo her.
Totsy Manning
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pat is quite an amazing women who lead the way for many female athletes and female coaches. As I was reading this book I could put myself in the time period in her life and visual make a connection to her writing. She is a pioneer of Women's basketball on many levels.
Debbie Weyerbacher
Motivating book

This book described what happens in Pat's mind. It explains the Pat Summit that is written about in newspaper articles and her actions as observed from the sidelines of Lady Vol basketball games.

Jehan Corbin
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I greatly respect Summitt's work ethic and longevity. I enjoyed reading about her desire to equip her players with life skills and develop young girls into women but, I most enjoyed this book for it's insight into Summitt's upbringing and some of the experiences that made her who she is today.
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring
  • How Lucky You Can Be: The Story of Coach Don Meyer
  • Hard Work: A Life On and Off the Court
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • An Unlikely Mormon
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • The Simeon Solution: One Woman's Spiritual Odyssey
  • What Would a Holy Woman Do?
  • Teaching, No Greater Call: A Resource Guide for Gospel Teaching (1981)
  • Toughness: Developing True Strength On and Off the Court
  • The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team
  • Tongue Fu!: How to Deflect, Disarm, and Defuse Any Verbal Conflict
  • Love Is a Verb: And Other Thoughts on the Greatest Commandment
  • We Are Our Mothers' Daughters
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • Seeking Enlightenment... Hat by Hat: A Skeptic's Guide to Religion
  • One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love
Patricia Sue "Pat" Summitt was is a women's college basketball head coach. She served as the head coach emeritus of the Tennessee Lady Vols basketball team. She is the all-time winningest coach in NCAA basketball history of either a men's or women's team in any division. She coached from 1974 to 2012, all with the Lady Vols, winning eight NCAA national championships, second only to the record 10 t ...more
More about Pat Summitt...