Start by marking “The Reality Games” as Want to Read:
The Reality Games

The Reality Games

"Tom Reissmann brings us a novel of big ideas, pulse-pounding action, and deep emotion that will keep you guessing as Max and Olivia struggle to uncover the mysteries behind The Reality Games." –Hayden Trenholm, award-winning author of The Steele Chronicles.
*****
“It's a page-turner that keeps you guessing until the very end.” –Steve Peters, Experience Designer and
Paperback, First, 354 pages
Published September 20th 2020 by Simulations (first published September 16th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Reality Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reality Games

Start your review of The Reality Games
Erin Mason
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was one mind bender of a book. It combines some pretty philosophical ideas about space and time and twists them into an amazing story. We follow Max, a history professor, his daughter Olivia, and a synthetic based upon Max’s late wife Miri. It’s set in a future where humans have become dependent on computers and tech for everything and those groups that fear and refuse to use anything tech. The book asks the question of is life a game? Are we living in a Matrix style world with clues s ...more
Kaitlin
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first paragraph of the book really caught me off guard, but I'm glad I kept reading past the first chapter. The book is broken down into three parts. In the first part, Professor Max Wheeler uses history lectures to deliver the world-building, which I thought was incredibly interesting. Also, reading this book in November of 2020 is really entertaining because the culture references are SO topical. The author's commentary on 2020 politics is not subtle, but humorous. This book also starts wi ...more
Susan
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a, smart, fast-paced story about a technologically advanced future and the protagonist Max's struggle to find what he's lost while retaining his humanity.

You are immediately immersed into this future world of 2061: the biotech, AI, and science references aren't forced, or hard to follow – they flow naturally. And these references offer a fascinating trail of clues about what our future world is shaping up to be. And even though it's written to be understood by someone not fully versed i
Laure
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, I mean who doesn't like a story about a father willing to put his life on the line to save his daughter from a mad man, right? I thought the characters were all well written and realistic, and that the plot had many surprising twists and turns. I just had to finish this book because I had to find out what happened at the the end! That being said, while I did enjoy this story I had a hard time with all the technical vernacular, while interesting, it was almost too much for me ...more
Judy Ferrell
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Are we real? Tom Reissmann looks into the possibility that AI has taken over and we are simulations. I read this and thought of all the tech that we use every day. How many of us can go through the day without our cell or computer? But what if that cell or computer becomes the AI that runs our lives? In The Reality Games, Tom Reissmann gives us a chance to look at that world. I liked this book but it also scared me a little because I can actually see it happening.
Victoria
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Genuinely exciting novel packed with adventure, romance, and intrigue. I connected with the characters from the off, which made it very hard to put down. The story is fast-moving, with really vivid scene-setting from the author. I kept picturing the action on the big screen thanks to the cinematic feel to the writing which had me hooked. Total page-turner. Highly recommend.
Ashley Reynolds
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
I loved this book! I cannot wait to see what this author does in the future! If you like androids ... I think you will LOVE this book!!
Sasha
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A futuristic thriller about artificial intelligence.
The author pulls you right into the conflict between the two factions, those that live with AI technology, and those that resist it. In this futuristic world, they are divided and fighting each other. But who is right and who is wrong? Is AI really the biggest threat to humanity or is there something else at play? You don’t really know until the end.
This book felt more like watching a TV-show like Westworld or Black Mirror, you just don’t know
William Vegvari
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A slow start but once it started going the pace kept you wanting to know more and therefore hard to put down.
I liked the concept and would recommend this to Sci-Fi fans
Katelyn Dickinson
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
**I received a physical copy of this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.**

Can we appreciate this cover for a moment?! Absolutely beautiful! This book was a wild ride. It has such an interesting concept. I’ve never actually wondered if we were in a game, but I definitely believe in parallel universes, so this story was very intriguing to read. And it is interactive, which was different and so fun. There are QR codes spread throughout the book t
Sarah Woods
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychological, sci-fi
I was actually in two minds about this book throughout but, on completion, decided that it had been a distinctly enjoyable read even if perhaps a little beyond the analytical part of my brain.
Basically, it's a story about reality, or the illusion of reality, or the notion of what 'reality' actually means. It's this element that truly tied my brain in knots, especially toward the end where different conclusions seem to wrap themselves up together in a way I couldn't figure out whether was even po
Tom Oman
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable book and quite an awesome achievement. It manages to tick many boxes without losing its overall impact. On one level it's a fast paced and complex action novel, but more importantly it also captures the zeitgeist of the times in a way that really ties all the strands of the modern era into one. The concerns, fears and uncertainty, as well as the exciting potential of our present reality is all wrapped into this book.

There is both an optimism toward technology and the power
Karla
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advanced Reading Copy on BookSirens. This kind of hard sci-fi isn't usually my cup of tea, I'm more into sci-fi romance, but I definitely loved this story.

I guess there are many layers to this story, but for me, it was mostly about the love Max feels for his daughter, the wife he’s lost, and the Android, who is meant to replace her.

It’s mostly a feel-good-story, although there are some dire warnings in there. I like that it’s not entirely clear if it’s a utopia or dystopia they li
Booklover
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome ride! Just like the movie The Matrix, this book pulls you right in, and then takes your mind on a trip. One of the main questions: what if we’re living in a simulation or a game?

There are two storylines, in one Max and his android have to save his daughter and the alliance. In the other, they both have to figure out what The Reality Games really are.

I like how the author blurred the lines between fiction and reality, with lots of cultural references, and he even uses QR codes t
Rima Martin
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a ride! Okay. I want 3 things.
I want to live in an autonomous mobile home.
I want to be like Bella Thor.
I want a transcranial helmet.
Amazing book. It’s fast paced and it makes you question “your” reality. In fact, it makes you question everyone’s realities. It kept me guessing and on the edge right till the end of the story. I wish I could give it 10 ⭐️! Looks like just did!!
Mike Augustine
Dec 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This was good, with some interesting elements , but doesn’t rate 4 overall. I did have several issues with the story, even though the structure of the book’s “reality”(which we come to understand with a late-stage reveal) provides rationale that is reasonable cover for these, I came away feeling this underperformed relative to its potential.
Lori
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Received as a review copy, this is an honest review. This haunting and enthralling futuristic tale, is not only cleverly put together but intensely emotional. While still coming to terms with his wife's death, Max seeks comfort from a robot companion that resembles his wife; at the same time his daughter, Olivia, wants to understand who her mother was and what happened the day she day she died. At the same time, Max, Olivia and her boyfriend find themselves caught up in a deadly game of power an ...more
Vicky
High Furby
Oct 06, 2020

• Soulkeepers
  • The Silent Bluebird
  • The Interstellar Slayer (Space Assassins #1)
  • Games we played
  • Long Way Down: The Graphic Novel
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • UNETHICAL: A Psychological Thriller
  • Horrid
  • White Trash Zombie Unchained (White Trash Zombie, #6)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • The OP MC 2: God of Winning (The OP MC, #2)
  • The Grand Design
  • The Immortal Chronicles, Volumes 1 - 5
  • The Sparrow (Eden's Gate #2)
  • The Reborn (Eden's Gate #1)
  • Narrative of My Captivity Among the Sioux Indians
  • The Sands (Eden's Gate #3)
Tom Reissmann went to University in Great Britain and Australia. He lived in seven countries on three continents, working as a travel videographer and documentary filmmaker.

Often dismayed by dystopian visions of the future depicted in many books and movies, he felt compelled to write a more optimistic science fiction novel offering a brighter outlook, while also discussing the obvious dangers of a