Start by marking “A Promised Land” as Want to Read:
A Promised Land

A Promised Land

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  86,620 ratings  ·  10,928 reviews
A riveting, deeply personal account of history in the making, from the president who inspired us to believe in the power of democracy.

In the stirring, highly anticipated first volume of his presidential memoirs, Barack Obama tells the story of his improbable odyssey from young man searching for his identity to leader of the free world, describing in strikingly personal de
Published November 17th 2020 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about A Promised Land, please sign up.
Sylvia Durant Yes, Thank Almighty God for people with integrity, decency, and Love like President Obama and his wife. We need to Love each other no matter what our …moreYes, Thank Almighty God for people with integrity, decency, and Love like President Obama and his wife. We need to Love each other no matter what our differences are. Love Never Fails.

S.D.(less)
Katharina Because people voice their political "opinion" on Barack Obama with 1 star reviews instead of actually reading the book itself to come to an informed …moreBecause people voice their political "opinion" on Barack Obama with 1 star reviews instead of actually reading the book itself to come to an informed opinion about it.

Very sad to see so much ignorance, hate, close-mindedness, intolerance and blindness.
(less)

·  86,620 ratings  ·  10,928 reviews

Start your review of A Promised Land
Angela M
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-favorites
Our expectations for elected officials aren’t always very realistic, and none more than for those elected to the highest office in our country. We’ve never had a perfect President and never will, but there are certain qualities that I believe are essential. Intelligence, a respect for the office and more importantly a reverence for our democracy, a strong sense of responsibility for protecting our nation and its citizens, leadership skills that bring together qualified people in the government, ...more
Shivani Patel
Once again I have to let people on here know they should not mess with the rating system. You don't have to like Obama or read his book but please do not leave ratings on Goodreads just to make that known.

You are allowed to have your opinions but no reason to mess with the GR rating system by giving it a one star (or a 2,3,4,5) if you haven't actually read the book. And that goes for all books. Please do not rate without reading because some people genuinely want to filter and search through ra
Jack Waters
Sep 17, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The $45 cover price is only steep if you don’t consider the implied number humor
Holly
I am 'reading' this via audiobook because even though it's 29 hours long, just listening to Obama's steady voice is reassuring during this current insanity.

(Also, this ended up being my 100th book I have read this year, officially meeting my reading goal!)

I am not sure what I enjoyed most about this book. Was it the insight into how Obama got into politics and then decided to run for President? Was it the look into his primary run against Hillary Clinton? Was it his eventual win against John Mc
Gabby
This book was so incredible and it gave me so much hope for America. I miss Obama so much, he's so well-spoken and he has such a way with words, I listened to the audiobook which is definitely the way to go for this book. This is one of the only political books I have ever read, but it was absolutely captivating to hear about all the experiences he went through as President and all the tough decisions he had to make. I love that throughout it he sprinkles in his stories of his family and I loved ...more
Selim Batti
Nov 17, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One thing I want to mention. This is Goodreads. For those who don’t know what this app is, it’s a planet for readers, not a battlefield for competitors.
You can’t just create multiple accounts, copy and paste same review, and rate a book you haven’t read.
We are here to review books, not people. We are here to share knowledge and literal thoughts and opinions, not to fight for political backgrounds.
Please guys be approachable and logical.
You can express your political opinions in demonstrations a
Stephanie L
Sep 19, 2020 marked it as on-the-radar  ·  review of another edition
If you think I wouldn't add this after Michelle Obama's Becoming, are we even friends? ...more
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Summary (Regular review)
This book tells us the journey of a young man who was a student in Hawaii to Harvard University and then ultimately to the White House. This is the first volume of his autobiography and ends in May 2011, describing Operation Neptune spear. It gives us hope in a democracy when he divulges empathy as one of the most critical pillars on which democracy is built.

According to Obama,
“More than anyone, this book is for the Young people-an invitation to once again remake
Jeffrey Keeten
”’Whatever you do won’t be enough,’ I heard their voices say.
‘Try anyway.’”

Obama had just been drubbed in an election against a popular candidate when he made the absolutely crazy decision to run for the US Senate. Michelle thought he was out of his mind. He was talking about “magic beans” and shit, but he assured her that this was it. If he lost, he was done with politics. Their credit cards were maxed out, and their overall financial picture was dire...let’s just say, the Star Trek klaxon bell
Malia
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first thought: The editor's red pen was notably absent here! Goodness, this was long; long but not at all boring.
I listened to the audiobook, which Obama reads himself, and there was a sort of comfort in hearing his voice (for 30 hours😳). Whatever you want to say about him, and he seems quite willing to admit his mistakes, Obama is an example of a truly decent man, such a vast contrast to the one currently occupying the White House. I won't go into details of the content of the book, but whil
Yun
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Promised Land is the first volume of Barack Obama's widely anticipated presidential memoir. In it, he details his political rise, the 2008 campaign for president, and what his administration accomplished in their first 2.5 years in office. Filled with his characteristic intelligence and thoughtfulness, it vividly portrays all that his administration has accomplished and the ways they fell short. It also calls attention to how fragile our democracy is and how easily it can be derailed.

Clocking
Helene Jeppesen
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow… Just wow!
Is this one of the best books written out there? No, it certainly isn’t. Obama says himself in the prologue that a better author would probably do a better job at cutting down this story – a story that seemed to keep on growing as he was writing. And this autobiography certainly has its share of long sentences (I counted 10 lines in one!) and extensive digressions (however fascinating).
I certainly stared at the book with big eyes when I received it in the mail and realized that i
Susanne  Strong
Review posted on: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

What makes a Great Leader?

When I ask myself that question, the characteristics I look for (to name a few) are Compassion, Dedication, Hard Work, Honesty, Integrity, Intellect, Manners, Mastery, Responsibility, and Reverence.

For me, Barack Obama, former President of the United States was and is the quintessential leader, he exudes integrity, and is the epitome of Presidential and grace under pressure. In addition, his dedication to the j
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 07, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Yes! When I see the winner announcement, I got more and more excited to get this amazing journey into my hands! I'm so thankful to Mimi Chan and fantastic Goodreads team for sending this remarkable novel's copy to me! I'm already hooked! This is one of the most precious gift I have ever gotten for a long time!
Meike
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, usa, 2020-read
"Do we care to match the reality of America to its ideals? (...) I recognize that there are those who believe that it's time to discard the myth - that an examination of America's past and an even cursory glance at today's headlines show that this nation's ideals have always been secondary to conquest and subjugation, a racial caste system and rapacious capitalism, and that to pretend otherwise is to be complicit in a game that was rigged from the start. (...) I'm not yet ready to abandon the po ...more
Regina
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well that was... thorough.

At more than 750 pages, this is just volume one of Obama's presidential memoirs. He takes readers behind the scenes from his childhood through the raid to kill Osama bin Laden. And then it just abruptly ends, leaving us to anticipate the next installment.

The parts I appreciated most were glimpses at his family life, particularly how he spent time with his wife and daughters in the White House. Those segments highlight cracks and vulnerabilities in his polished veneer,
C
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can somebody please go through the troll comments and remove the 1 star ratings of the person continuously posting the same, factually incorrect political statement - and any troll reviews for that matter. Other sites that connect to GoodReads receive a misleading rating due to this troll continuously posting 1 star ratings.
Mehrsa
Dec 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Let me first tell you about me: I was an Obama diehard and an Obama apologist. I was hooked when I read Dreams of My Father and watched the 2004 speech. I was one of those people knocking doors in PA and other swing states during the 08 primary. I was elated when he won the primary and the night he won the national probably ranks as the happiest night of my life.

During the presidency, there were MANY things I did not like about the Obama administration--most of them had to do with the Geithner
Jessica Jeffers
First of all, how grateful am I that I get to read this after Donald Trump has been voted out of office? If I was worried about four more years of marching towards authoritarianism, I think reading Obama's memoir would have made me more sad than anything else.

My early thoughts on this:

1. He is a fantastic writer. Yes, I know a lot of that is probably due to editors and assistants. The fact remains, though, that this is an incredibly well-written book.

2. He acknowledges that one of the biggest
Elle
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Now a Goodreads Choice winner in Memoir/Autobiography!

I’ve done a lot of complaining while reading A Promised Land, mostly because of the length. Despite having written two previous books, Dreams from My Father and The Audacity of Hope, the third by our former president is already very long, sitting at a rotund 751 pages. So I was genuinely surprised when I found out this was only volume one of his presidential memoirs, covering primarily his first four year term in office. I went into this
morgan
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book was phenomenal to me. I found myself giggling, nodding with agreement, gasping with shock and crying throughout this book. In an alternate dimension, I truly believe Barack and I are best friends. I've always loved Obama's writing, since I read Dreams of My Father in my teens, so of course I will be preordering his next book as soon as I can. ...more
Miranda Reads
description

Just posted my Goodreads Choice 2020 Reaction Video on Booktube! Click the link to check it out!!
YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Maddy
Nov 14, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
65 million dollars advance paid for this book! It’s ridiculous to call a book that’s given this kind of funding even before it has been penned down as anything other than a corporate investment.

The author has given his opinion on other global/national leaders without having had any meaningful interaction with them. So I will offer a similar type of surface review of what I think about this author and his time in the White House, as it has been skipped by mainstream media during his term. Neithe
Ashley
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I’m so ready for this!!
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Promised Land, Barack Obama

Barack Hussein Obama II is an American politician, academic, author, and attorney who served as the 44th president of the United States from 2009 to 2017.

What a beautiful name they have chosen for his book. This is life, they have done an incredible job, and he won, this book is also, a memento for future peoples, to look at their ways, and his words, and read them, and hope, that they will always be victorious.

The memoir, remaining focused on Obama's political life,
Amalia Gkavea

“When things are bad,” Axe said, walking next to me as we left the December meeting, “no on
Karen
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first volume of Barack Obama’s presidential memoirs and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
This is an intimate look into his journey.. as a young man up until May 2011, when US Special Forces captured Osama bin Laden.
This is a lengthy book but I so looked forward to my daily date with Barack.. I just had to listen to the audio!
Cannot wait for the next volume!
I love this man!
Henk
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, non-fiction
A fascinating account of the rise of a president and the enormously diverse task facing him, told in an easy to read manner
I realized that for all the power inherent in the seat I now occupied, there would always be a chasm between what I knew should be done to achieve a better world and what in a day, week, or year I found myself actually able to accomplish.

A very easily written and compelling account of the rise of Barack Obama to public office and the majority of his first term of president.
Chrissie
The book has a slow start. Don’t worry, after just a few chapters, it picks up speed and substance! Once into Obama’s first election campaign, in 2008, one interesting topic after another is examined. Just the right amount of background information is given. There is not an overload of details, which one might expect in a book of this length.

On taking office in 2009 Obama immediately had to tackle the fallout of the sub-prime market, the economic meltdown and financial crisis that followed. Leg
Faith
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, overdrive
I usually don’t have much interest in memoirs, but I liked learning about behind the scenes details of presidential decisions. The book is written with wit, humility and self-awareness. I listened to the audiobook read by the author. The narration was a sane, intelligent and reassuring reminder of better days. This was very long and is only part one; it doesn’t even cover the entire first Obama term. I’ll probably read part two, but I hope it isn’t published any time soon.

• Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
  • Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)
  • How to Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Getting Started
  • The Fire Next Time
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • The Kingdom of Gods (Inheritance, #3)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance, #2)
  • Natalie Portman's Fables
  • The City We Became (Great Cities, #1)
  • The Trump Century: How Our President Changed the Course of History Forever
  • Miracle at Augusta (Travis McKinley, #2)
  • Elämä oli laiffii : Matti Nykänen 1963-2019
  • A Blur of Bright Water (Tremontaine #3.10)
  • Glory's Teeth: A Novella of Hungry Girls and the End of the World (The United States of Asgard)
  • All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout the Ages
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey (Young readers edition)
Barack Obama was the 44th president of the United States, elected in November 2008 and holding office for two terms. He is the author of two previous New York Times bestselling books, Dreams from My Father and The Audacity of Hope, and the recipient of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. He lives in Washington, D.C., with his wife, Michelle. They have two daughters, Malia and Sasha.

Articles featuring this book

“One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.”...
“Enthusiasm makes up for a host of deficiencies.” 52 likes
“I suspect that God’s plan, whatever it is, works on a scale too large to admit our mortal tribulations; that in a single lifetime, accidents and happenstance determine more than we care to admit; and that the best we can do is to try to align ourselves with what we feel is right and construct some meaning out of our confusion, and with grace and nerve play at each moment the hand that we’re dealt.” 50 likes