Start by marking “All the Small Poems and Fourteen More” as Want to Read:
All the Small Poems and Fourteen More

All the Small Poems and Fourteen More

All four Small Poems books in one volume plus fourteen new poems "every bit as worthy as their predecessors" (The Horn Book) ...more
Published October 29th 1996 by Square Fish

To ask other readers questions about All the Small Poems and Fourteen More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Small Poems and Fourteen More

Start your review of All the Small Poems and Fourteen More
Mackenzie
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the best poetry books we have on our shelves. This book is priceless and effortlessly has taught our kids to think in a natural, metaphorical way about the world around them. We hadn't been reading it long at all when our kids started spouting 'poetry' about things like snowflakes, leaves, or colors. ...more
Dolly
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a lovely collection of very short poems about myriad things. There's a wide variety of topics and I was fascinated at the different ways of describing the things. Occasionally, the poem would provide a different perspective, such as how fleas see their world from the back of a dog.

We read the poems fairly quickly (the book was coming due at the library) and I suppose we could've lingered over them a bit more, but on the whole they were fun and fast to read.

For some reason, our oldest,
Cheryl
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Hm. Excellent for youngsters and newbies. Perfect mentor text for primary students, or probably even adult writing prompts. But, based on the selections I've seen of Worth's work elsewhere, I wanted to love this and treasure it for always. But it's just not rich enough for me, so instead, I'm going to give it away.

Some of the best:
===
hollyhocks

Hollyhocks stand in clumps
By the to doors of old cottages.

Even when one springs alone,
Lost, in an uncut field,

It builds beside it the cottage,
The garden,
Greyson
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book showed me that all things have a story and meaning
Miranda Reyes
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book “all the small poems and fourteen more” by valerie worth is a really good poetry book. This book has so many different types of poems. I love this book because it made me think that poetry is really easy because the author wrote about the most simplest things and made it into in such a great poem. This book has really short poems so i recommend this book to people that like poetry and like fast poems, and in my opinion this is just the right book that includes all of that.
Deborah Hart
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
I first came across this book when I was exploring poets such as Paul Janeczko, Janet Wong, Georgia Heard, Ralph Fletcher, and beginning to dip my toe into writing my own poetry. Valerie Worth is incredible. Her poems capture the essence of her subject in a way that makes me feel like I've just fallen into a magic pool that will forever change the way I perceive the world. She makes me want to find my own ways to express the world around me. To be inspired. Hopeful. Joyful.
Listen to this:

sun
The
Barbara
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, poetry, nature
Containing 113 brief poems filled with descriptions and ruminations on nature, this book is a must-have for all writing teachers and classroom shelves. Not only do the poems serve as exemplars for how to express sentiments in a small amount of words, but they also are simply delightful to read and ponder. Worth's observations on the fascinating world around her are spot-on, and I can picture her watching, watching, watching anything that catches her eye and taking mental notes. For instance, in ...more
taz
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 7th-grade-shelf
I liked the book because of its simple wordings and rhyming.The problem with the book was that it was too simple. for my project i was looking for a mentor text that was meant for a 7th grader. This book was made for a little kid. I was looking for more sophisticated writing. The poems in this book looked like she wrote about the first thing she put her eye on she really didn't think about it. this book isn't the right book for a 7th grader but for a little kid i recommend it. ...more
Kendra
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Valerie Worth writes intriguing poems about everyday objects that are ideal for classroom use, especially in regards to figurative language and word choice. Her poems seem simple, but upon closer examination, students start to uncover a deeper meaning. The poems help students begin to understand what descriptive writing really is.
Steph Lovelady
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I selected this book at the library solely because of the charming title. It did not disappoint. All the poems are short, creative meditations on everyday objects, plants, or animals. We read it slowly, over the course of more than a month, so the ones I remember best are from the end. Here are two of my favorites:

Starfish

Green space
A s
Kyle G
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a great book. I liked the layout of the pictures and the poems. I thought that most of the poems were nice. The pictures were great and I think that this book took a while to make. Valerie Worth did a great job with these poems. They flow greatly and they are definitely in the right format. Natalie Babbitt did a really good job with the pictures. I think that they are all drawn very well and I respect that the pictures were good, even for a poem book. This poem book was one of the ...more
Victoria
I slowly read this book to my sons but it has tons of small fun poems about various objects and things in nature. There were some of the poems that I would read to them in varying voices. They especially liked when I would say them in a hardcore punk voice (with poems like "Skeleton" and such).
If you are trying to introduce your children to poetry and teach them on how to write them, this one is good!
Nikki Tuchek
This wonderful children's poetry book is written by NCTE Poetry Award winner, Valerie Worth. She is an amazing poetry author who writes about plants, animals, and other familiar things for children. Her poems, in this book, are meant for young children, discovering poetry. She is a wonderful author who writes poems that young children can think about and relate to. ...more
Deania
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
If you like short poems then this book is for you. There are really cute poems and the pictures are simplistic. It is a good read for parents and older readers. Each poem has a them and talks about a specific item.
Katy Mccormac
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Valerie Worth reflects on her observations of the natural world (and everyday objects) in this volume of short and accessible poems for children with simple illustrations by Natalie Babbit. A great tool to explore word choice, line breaks, and the power of observation.
David.Acosta
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is perfect for anyone that’s looking for a poem book to read. It’s full of random things and the transitions are very odd like you would go from sea lions to sidewalks. Anyway “Natalie Badditt” is an amazing poet and this is awesome.
Emily
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Damian
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the randomness and the wordplay of these poems. There are supporting drawing for each of the poems for more context. The poems topics range from potatoes to tractors, etc. If you read this poetry book it might inspire you to start writing poetry.
Nicholas
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an amazing book to read and I really enjoyed it. The author did an excellent job of choosing these poems they were by far some of the best poems I have ever read. I believe that an exciting person would enjoy reading this book and I defenintely recommend this book to a friend.
Cathy Sheetz
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
Very descriptive and succinct poems often describing everyday items.

This is often used with writer's workshop for poetry for 3rd through 5th grade. Classroom library for 3rd through 6th grade.

Could be used to study different forms of poetry and also use as a mentor text for writing poetry.
Megan {A Barefoot Gal}
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-to-read
I love the style of poems in this book!
Penny
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Not all of the small poems are really good poems. But there are some treasures in here -- I particularly loved "safety pin," "magnet," "sea lions," "kite," "frost," and "giraffe." ...more
Sarah Kochert
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Read with Sonlight studies. Found we didn't make time for them and we couldn't really enjoy them like I would have liked. ...more
Devin Wallace
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. The book of poems are really short. This book we be a great way to show students how to write poems. They are easy to read and not long at all.
Jenelle
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really fun book of poetry for kids.
Karla
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an awesome book of poems. The topics teach us there are poems hiding everywhere. And that is important. I use this books with my students, 6 years old to 11. Perfect.
Dana
May 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-aloud
We read this over the course of the school year. We enjoyed about three of these poems. I wish we had spent our poetry time on another volume.
Monica
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Read on a car ride. Now I want a front door with colored glass.
Rachel
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an amazing find at the used book store. Have been reading a poem a day to my classroom of boys and it has been rich with discussion.
Eleanor
I suddenly like poems... to read them.
« previous 1 3 next »
Future Teachers, ...: Stefanie Cheek Review 1 1 10 Sep 15, 2016 04:43AM

• The Master Puppeteer
  • The Big Wave
  • The Year of the Dog
  • Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze
  • The Usborne Complete Book of the Human Body: Internet Linked (Complete Books)
  • Mission to Cathay
  • The House of Sixty Fathers
  • The Golden Goblet
  • Gods Adventurer
  • Journey To The Eastern Hemisphere
  • Burying the Sun  (Angel on the Square, #3)
  • Beat the Story-Drum, Pum-Pum
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
(October 29, 1933 - July 31, 1994)
Acclaimed poet Valerie Worth Bahlke was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and grew up in nearby Swarthmore, where her father taught biology at Swarthmore College. The family then moved to Tampa, Florida, and Bangalore, India, where they lived for one year. Valerie returned to Swarthmore to attend college, graduating with an English degree and High Honors. Shortl