Start by marking “Napalm & Silly Putty” as Want to Read:
Napalm & Silly Putty

Napalm & Silly Putty

I THINK I AM, THEREFORE I AM. I THINK.
In Napalm & Silly Putty, George Carlin, the thinking person's comic, offers a hilarious new collection of razor-sharp observations on God, language, death, pets, driving, food, sports, airplanes, advertising, news, businessmen, and much, much more!

* Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
* If people climb Mt. E
Published April 10th 2002 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Napalm & Silly Putty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Napalm & Silly Putty

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
3,788 books — 6,856 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
3,276 books — 4,394 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
In honor of Carlin's unfortunate passing from this world to the next, I thought that I would spend some time involved in personal reflection and active remembrance by perusing one of his humor encapsulation modules. it's full of brief comedic text-forms and small humorous thought units which will undoubtedly bring a day's diversion to anyone who... who...

Aw, f*ck it. Read his goddamn book and laugh, you m*therf*ckers. He was a dirty, foul-mouthed son of a bitch, but he said what he thought and n
Steve
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
I knew what I was getting when I started this book -- one of the many books written by the late George Carlin. I expected the rants, the obscenities, the criticism and the insight of this comedic icon of the latter 20th century. You had his typical Carlin comments about government, politics, sex, drugs, music, sports, religion -- typical in that in the anti-establishment world of George Carlin, no subject was immune to his thinking and he made you think about the day-to-day events impacting thes ...more
Elizabeth
Funny, but he comes across better when performing in front of an audience.
lit.erary.britt
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio

More mundane chores, more Carlin to get me through! I particularly love - and support - his religion rant. #reread
Michael Benavidez
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
warning: this review IS biased. I will admit that outright. I love Carlin. I love his comedy, his outlook on humanity. Cruel, hateful, but funny and honest, and always on a slight positive side no matter how dark.

So this books is a rambling. this book is random, scribbles, smart points mixed with eh points. They are funny. Hilarious. only, not all of them. Some. Most.
The sad thing is, having read this after his death, and seen most of his stand-up. A lot of these jokes are in the stand-up so t
Cheralyn
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Carlin. My particular favorite from this one is the bit about airplanes. Just fantastic. I was laughing so hard that I couldn't breathe!
Paul Pessolano
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
“Napalm & Silly Putty” by George Carlin, published by Hyperion.

Category – Comedy Publication Date - April 24, 2001

The first thing one must do before reading this book is to make sure they know who George Carlin is and know his approach to comedy and life. If not, one could be in for a rude awakening. Carlin is known for being outspoken on very controversial subject, least of which is religion. One must also be aware that Carlin uses language that can be very offensive to many people.

Some of
Kevin McAllister
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of George Carlin for the longest time and have watched his skits countless times. I was in need of a bit of a laugh and decided to give one of his books a try. Sadly, just not the same. Even though, interestingly enough,some passages were identical to skits I've seen, just wasn't the same. They say comedy is all in the delivery and without George's voice and mannerisms, it just didn't find it as amusing. Although I will admit to laughing out loud and drawing some stares during my ...more
Katie
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed something to cleanse my palate after two novels set during the Holocaust. This did the trick.

While George Carlin is eminently funny, I noticed the same problem with this book as I did with Stephen Colbert's book. That is, comedians who make their success by playing off a live audience do not translate well to the static written word. The whole point of a comedy routine is to interact with others, soliciting reactions and feeding off of them. Listening to Carlin read his book was the sam
Will Johnson
I'm a latecomer to Carlin but, like most great artists, sometimes you don't appreciate something until it is gone.

This bathroom friendly book was great for short spurts as I read other, denser things when I had my little time. This book should be finished in a day if you are reading it normal but, if at four or five pages at a time, it is still worthy and fun as it represents years or decades of short takes Carlin has presented before in concert.

That said, it is the perfect book when getting INT
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
If you're easily offended, you won't like this. I happen to like George Carlin and his irreverence and fearlessness. He doesn't care if he offends people, which is actually refreshing. Of course, he includes his fair share of silly boy humor, such as bodily function jokes, but that's just what boys do. Parts of this book are really funny.
Menglong Youk
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It still amazes me how George Carlin could use our everyday activities and manipulate them into humorous and Intriguing concepts. Sure, his language is offensive to some people, and despite not using this kind of language myself, I still couldn't help, but to find his writing entertaining
Dan
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
One of my fave comedians and I wish I would have liked this more but honestly, I found some of the jokes to be corny and just not something I would have included in this book. It seems a lot of this was just filler to make up enough pages....it is what it is.
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {merry wanderer of the night}
"I got into an argument with my Rice Crispies. I distinctly heard 'Snap, crackle, 'Fuck you!'"

Yeah.
This one immediately became a favorite.
I've been a huge fan of Carlin's since I was in middle school (which probably explains at least some) and when I stumbled into this audiobook for free, it was a match made in heaven.

"What kind of wine goes with Cap'n Crunch? I have a difficult time choosing wines in the morning. Sometimes I just smoke a bowl of Froot Loops and go back to bed."

In Napalm And Sil
Josh C.
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To clarify, this is the second book included in my larger 900-page book (An Orgy Of George: 3x The Carlin) and so based on our discussion, I have decided to review each text included in the book separately.

I selected this book because I like George Carlin and I assumed that his written works would easily rival his stand up performances, so with that in mind, I began to read all of his books. I have always liked his comedy and always thought that he was more of a writer than a performer, with eac
Julia
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I haven't been a fan of George Carlin's so didn't really know what this would be about. My sister enjoys him and has told me several times to read him so finally I got an opportunity while I loath this guy.

First of all this is a book that needs a giant warning label on it. For the age that he seems to be I am surprised that his mother didn't keep a mountain of soap for just washing his mouth out. It is that or she was a sailor.

His usage of cussing rankled me the most on reading this particula
Michael Kress
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2000s
I was a little disappointed with George Carlin's first book, Brain Droppings, but Napalm & Silly Putty was a lot better. I felt like most of the material in Brain Droppings was petty and not that funny, and I was looking for that subversive commentary on society that Carlin's stand-up comedy was so famous for. Brain Droppings was first published in 1997, and I feel like this might have been a low-point in his career, when the material he was putting out was just not that amazing. But Carlin ...more
Trent
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
George Carlin is one of the wittiest comedians ever. His books are really funny, and he addresses the elephant in the room. He goes against the grain and I think that is what makes him George Carlin.
Abbe
Amazon.com Review

Standup comic George Carlin follows up his dark-horse smash bestseller __ with another compendium of cranky meditations, cinching his reputation as the Andy Rooney of boomer hepcats. "Road rage, air rage," Carlin rails. "Why should I be forced to divide my rage into separate categories? To me, it's just one big, all-around, everyday rage. I don't have time for fine distinctions." Carlin is not into the lengthy essay--he's a sprinter of the mind. Most sentences in the book coul

EpidermaS
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posiadam-ebook
Wiecie, jaka była typowa reakcja moich znajomych na wieść o tym, że czytam „Napalm i żelki”?
- Jeszcze raz - co czytasz?
- „Napalm i żelki” Carlina.
- To jest tytuł?
- Tak.
- Fajny, śmieszny… O czym to?

No właśnie. „O czym to”? Sam Carlin we wprowadzeniu do książki wyjaśnia, że to zdumiewające, iż człowiek jest w stanie wynaleźć dwa tak odmienne produkty, jakim są napalm i żelki. Przywodzą mu na myśl dwoistą naturę ludzką, a jednocześnie świetnie charakteryzują jego przemyślenia. Nie sposób się z nim
HeavyReader
Feb 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of George Carlin
(I need a shelf called "not really funny.")

I laughed exactly twice while reading this book. And I don’t think I giggled, snickered, or chuckled even once. I might have smirked a couple of times, but mostly I was not amused.

I’m pretty sure some of these same pieces were in When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops?, which I skimmed through pretty thoroughly again recently. If I’m right, I think that’s cheating. No one should put the same schtick in more than one book. I know certain authors of fiction
Konna
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read full review at: Review: Napalm & Silly Putty by George Carlin, the comedy legend http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.gr...

George Carlin was a legendary comedian. Even before I started getting into stand-up comedy, which was actually pretty recently, I was aware of him. So when I started reading this book I was curious to find out what it would be like. Would his writing style be similar to the way he talked in his lives? Would his jokes be equally funny when they were written down and no
C.C. Thomas
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
While I have watched and listened to the great comic, I've never actually read one of his books before. Shame on me! I absolutely laughed my butt off (not literally or this book could also go in the self-help section **okay I tried some humor in memoriam). This book is laugh-out-loud, hold-your-side kind of funny. There were so many times I simply handed the book to the person next to me and said, "You have to read this! Now! Stop what you're doing and read it now so I can turn the page and keep ...more
Ana
Another hilarious read from Mr. Carlin.

I had the unimaginable luck of having friends with good taste who owned this book so I didn't have to run around town searching the libraries for it (I live in Romania and we have pretty crappy libraries).

I absolutely loved it! It was cut out of the same material as When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? so I had as much fun reading this as I did the other one.
University of Chicago Magazine
Gretchen Young, AB'84, AM'84
Editor

The #1 New York Times bestseller with more than 450,000 copies in print offers up a hilarious and "entertaining" [Chicago Sun-Times] collection of razor-sharp observations. Spending more than 15 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list in hardcover, George Carlin, the thinking person's comic, has made it very clear how successful he is at the transition from stage to page. In Napalm & Silly Putty, Carlin's characteristically ironic and hilarious take on l
Gene Fiebich
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Made me laugh out loud (literally, not like on FB)and not want to put it down. George Carlin was one of the most intelligent comedians of all time. Deep thinker (on cocaine, to add) and social critic. I saw him in concert at the State Theater in Ann Arbor and immediately fell in love. He will always be the "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" to me.
Wayland Smith
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Basically, this is a collection of George Carlin ranting. If you like his comedy, you'll probably enjoy the book. He gets VERY dark in a few places, even more than in his usual routines. It's an interesting mix of humor, observations, and just plain oddness.

If you're at all easily offended, don't even pick this one up. Nothing is sacred to Carlin's wit.
Jill Hutchinson
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I miss George Carlin so much. I laughed until I cried at this collection of Carlinisms. The man was a comedic genius....wry, ridiculous, irreverent, clever, and just plain funny. If you don't laugh while reading this book, you need to see a doctor. He was one of a kind and we won't see another like him.
Nente
There's plenty of food for thought in Carlin's talks. That's why I never thought so much depended on his delivery, until I tried to read instead of watching.
I just can't summon up the energy to finish this one.
Guillermo Galvan
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dude, I loved this book. It's like a joke book for me now that I'm an adult. Geezer rants and clever insights into human nature organized into a collection of George's brain farts. Pick this one up and prepare to lose faith in humanity while laughing out loud.
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 26 Napalm & Silly Putty by George Carlin 1 3 Feb 18, 2015 08:03AM
  • Nothing's Sacred
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • The Rants
  • 7 Dirty Words: The Life and Crimes of George Carlin
  • Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden: What the Government Should Be Telling Us to Help Fight the War on Terrorism
  • Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot
  • In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks . . . And Other Complaints from an Angry Middle-Aged White Guy
  • The Far Side Gallery 5
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • I Drink for a Reason
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • Pure Drivel
  • Dispatches from the Tenth Circle: The Best of the Onion
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
George Denis Patrick Carlin was a Grammy-winning American stand-up comedian, actor, author, and philosopher.

Carlin was especially noted for his political and black humor and his observations on language, psychology, and religion along with many taboo subjects. Carlin and his "Seven Dirty Words" comedy routine were central to the 1978 U.S. Supreme Court case F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation, in which
“If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.” 931 likes
“I'll tell you a little secret about the Blues: it's not enough to know which notes to play, you have to know why they need to be played.” 41 likes