Start by marking “My Monsterpiece” as Want to Read:
My Monsterpiece

My Monsterpiece

A celebration of imagination, creativity, acceptance, and art that will delight children of all ages.

A kid-artist wants to frighten family members and friends by creating the scariest, meanest, most terrible monsters ever. A green tongue, pointy horns, sharp teeth, and terrible claws are sure to make everyone scream!

But what happens when rather than running away in a frigh
Hardcover, 1st, 40 pages
Published March 2nd 2021 by Yeehoo Press

To ask other readers questions about My Monsterpiece, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Monsterpiece

Start your review of My Monsterpiece
Kat
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally review children's books here, which is kind of ironic since my job is teaching reading skills to young children! I saw this one on NetGalley and couldn't resist.

This charming children's book by Amalia Hoffman is about a boy who wants to draw a scary monster masterpiece - or as he calls it a "monsterpiece" - to scare his mom, dad, sister and best friend. The only problem with his plan is that no matter which version of monster he tries to scare someone with, everyone thinks it's
Jenna Rideout
Shelves: read-netgalley
Thank you to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for granting me early access to My Monsterpiece in exchange for an honest review.

My Monsterpiece is a children's picturebook full of mixed media illustrations that tell the story of a child who is trying to draw the perfect scary monster to scare their family and friends. I absolutely love the colourful creations on these pages, and I think this book will inspire a generation of artists to let loose and have fun with their creations.

I can't
Dana
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun mixed-media piece that is meant to teach children... and maybe all of us... that the expectations we have about the world around us might not be as you think they are. What if the preconceived notions you have can be turned on their head?

This short, colorful, creative book tells the story of a child trying to create a scary monster but doesn't quite succeed. But the lessons learned along the way are really cute and exactly what I'd want to have on hand for my nephew.

Thanks to Netga
Bonnie DeMoss
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
My Monsterpiece is a cute kid's story about a child trying to draw a scary monster and coming to the conclusion that "scary" is in the eye of the beholder. The illustrations are perfect for the story, as they are childlike and bursting with color.

I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers via Netgalley. My review is voluntary.
Naomi Yoeli
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a hilarious colorful book!
My grand daughter (8) loved it and adored the monsters!
I loved it when the monsters had their own say about humans, mirroring our fears and bias.
A real monsterpiece!
Naomi
Nana Ariel
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is truly a monster-masterpiece. My 8 year old says: Joyful, colorful and monsterfull!
Joan Waites
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fun and unique book! Using mixed media in a child-like art style, the author-illustrator captures beautifully the way children create. When the monster drawings fail to scare the child's family and friends, he/she learns that changing scary into funny is just fine, and in turn, the monsters learn that children aren't so scary either. The subtle message of changing your point of view and acceptance of differences comes through without being preachy. Children will love discovering all the d ...more
Emily Decker
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Through amazing artwork and a cute story, follow a child’s journey to create their ultimate “Monsterpiece.” My Monsterpiece is a colorfully illustrated, fun and hilarious story about a child just trying to get a scare out of someone in their family.
In this book, follow a young child as they create some of the most imaginative monsters to share with their family members to try and get a scare out of them. Unfortunately for the young child, their family do not see the monsters as monsters, but a
╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥
In this story, an unseen narrator is on a mission to craft the scariest monsters to frighten their family and friends. The narrator finds that everyone views their creations as adorable and silly. She begins thinking about if monsters craft scary kids and what could happen if they all start to embrace the silliness and love and explore the possibilities.

It takes a lot to get me visibly excited about a new children's book. Have an extremely voracious reader for a child has exposed me to an endle
Harold
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a super creative and unique book. The narrator of the story sets up art supplies to make the scariest, meanest monster ever. But family members and best friend aren’t frightened at all. After crumpling and tearing each “monster”, the frustrated artist comes to the conclusion that: “Maybe monsters don’t have to be scary,” and sets off on a new journey of discovery. The illustrations, created in mixed media and painted on torn papers, supermarket bag, paper plates and much more reminded me of ...more
Ruth M
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MY MONSTERPIECE is introduced as a celebration of imagination, creativity, acceptance, and art. All that is true, and what’s more, it’s an explosion of colors and joy. Although not a how-to book, MY MONSTERPIECE visually suggests to children how to use paint, chalk, scissors, buttons, and even colorful breakfast cereal for creating unique images.

Family and friends misidentify what the artist intended but that’s ok. Frustration spurs the artist on to try, try again.

Chocolate chip cookies, popcorn
Shanna Silva
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Monsterpiece, written and illustrated by award winning author Amalia Hoffman, is a delightful look into the monster-verse that readers of all ages will enjoy. With colorful, textured art, the book deftly uses humor to examine what’s scary and what’s not. These themes lend themselves to an exploration of diversity and celebrating the differences that people (and monsters) have. The art tells its own story and shows readers that they too can create monster art that is both silly and fun. My Mon ...more
Yevgenia Nayberg
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Monsterpiece is the latest and, perhaps, the most colorful picturebook from Amalia Hoffman.
I absolutely love the premise of the story-- an artist child with a "kind hand", who just cannot create a scary monster, no matter how hard he tries.
The book is about art and Amalia's art is just as important a character of the book as the protagonist himself. The numerous colorful monsters jump at you from every page. Amalia used a complex mixed media technique to unite the imaginary world of a child
Paula Cohen
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This charming and funny book encourages children’s creativity. I love how it shares the child’s excitement and their drive to create, and then their disappointment when others interpret their art differently. The book very very cleverly encourages problem solving. The child in this book comes up with a solution on their own, a solution that exudes confidence, which is really admirable.

Ms. Hoffman’s art really captures the way kids work and their enthusiasm in a way that most artists and writers
Roni
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true delight! It celebrates creativity, imagination, and the spirit of children. It captures the essence of little ones who so often deal with their fears by embodying them--in this case, by creating their own scary monsters out of paint and collage. Amalia's illustration/art is wild, wonderful and joyfully childlike. Her book will inspire children to create their own "monsterpieces." MY MONSTERPIECE is a celebration of childhood at its most exuberant and imaginative. Brava! ...more
Angie Quantrell
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE My Monsterpiece! The colors are just perfect, brilliant, creative, and exciting, and the artwork tells so much more than just the words. The words are perfect and I love the way the story circles around at the end to have the monster thinking about children not being scary. The voice is spot on. Great job! I think little monsters are going to love reading this! This book would be a good model for budding artists as well.
Catherine
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised at how funny this illustrated art book for children was. I was expecting it to be a little bit scary for my daughter since the book is about drawing monsters, but she was laughing so much while I was reading it to her and she really loved the illustrations. It is a book that I will read again to her and she can copy some of the monster drawings.

Many thanks to the author, publisher and netgalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Gloria Koster
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What small child doesn’t like to howl and roar, pretending to be a fearsome creature? Amalia Hoffman’s young narrator seeks affirmation for a series of monster pictures that are intended to scare family members and friends but which have the exact opposite effect. Calling the artwork, “cute” and “funny,” the recipients aren’t frightened at all! But the child is a clever problem-solver, finding a new angle for creativity. And creativity is Hoffman’s own calling card with her vibrant colors and co ...more
Melissa Stoller
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kids will love this new book mixing scary monsters and friendly monsters - everyone, including the reader and creator, has a place in MY MONSTERPIECE. Amalia Hoffman's beautifully written and illustrated story is heartfelt and funny with a touch of tingling scariness included as well. Perfect for families, school, and libraries, readers will say RAHHHHH and hooray at the end! ...more
Cindy
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Amalia Hoffman has created some of the most vibrant, fun and memorable illustrations I've ever seen! Couple that with a relatable story of acceptance and friendship and you've got a must-have picture book for kids of all ages. I feel like breaking out the pipe cleaners and crayons and making a monster right now. So inspiring! ...more
Bonni Goldberg
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun way to introduce young children to the concepts of bias and point of view. Colorful, vibrant and light- hearted. Perfect for kids and classrooms as well as parent-child book groups for the very young.
Brooke || FindingMyFavoriteBook
What a fun book with awesome mixed media illustrations!

It’s a bright and colorful book about a kid who keeps drawing scary monsters that just don’t seem to frighten people away. A great book for elementary kids/early readers!
Marit
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Monsterpiece is a delightful and colorful picture book about diversity and acceptance that will appeal to all ages, inspiring discussions and creativity for parents and children alike.
Darlene
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a charming and delightful story! LOVE the color and creativity of the art and the message that a monster is in the eye of the beholder and creator. We may all see things differently, but find joy and delight in it anyway. Oh what fun it will be for little ones to make their own monsterpieces. A celebration of creativity and imagination.
Emilee (emileereadsbooks)
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With illustrations that are vibrant and creative and fun, this is a fun book about creativity, trial and error, and redefining what is scary.

Thank you to NetGalley and Yeehoo Press for the free digital copy for my review.
Joni Klein-Higger
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Monsterpiece, by Amalia Hoffman, is a creative, monsterly-fun book to help young readers overcome their fears. Ms. Hoffman’s colorful story is about a kid who unsuccessfully tries to create a scary monster drawing and eventually learns that monsters don’t have to be scary. This book is sure to make young readers smile and want to read My Monsterpiece again and again.
Talitha Shipman
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher. I love the artwork in "My Monsterpiece". It is creative and whimsical. The collage and hand-painted elements pair perfectly with the story. I think kids will identify with the protagonist in Hoffman's book. Kids often become frustrated when adults make assumptions, especially when it comes to their artwork. This book will spark creativity in kids and also shows that it doesn't hurt to look at something from a different perspective at times. ...more
Kera
Shelves: 2020, netgalley-reads
This delightful storybook will really appeal to young artists!

It features mixed media artwork which really adds colour and depth to the pages. The story is simple, making it perfect for younger children and new readers, and contains a lovely message that art doesn’t have to be just one thing.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Karen Rostoker-Gruber
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Amalia Hoffman's bright, colorful, and engaging paper cut-outs, and collage-type illustrations!
I also like the surprise ending, which I won't give away.
Tonja Drecker
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm always on the look out for kid books, which allow the imagination to take flight as only a child's can...and when they have vibrant illustrations, tons of fun, and manage to pack in a good message, too, it's a winner to me. This book accomplishes all of that.

Every part of this book is original. First, the text is written as if a child is talking to the listener (or themselves), and it reminded me so much how the kids I know speak and think, that I couldn't help but smirk and smile several ti
« previous 1 3 next »

• Meet Me By the Sea
  • Rissy No Kissies
  • Pablo Can't Sleep
  • Someone Builds the Dream
  • Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum, #18)
  • I Am a Bird
  • So You Want To Build a Library
  • Chick Chat
  • It's So Quiet: A Not-Quite-Going-to-Bed Book
  • Coral Reef
Author/illustrator, Amalia Hoffman performs her stories dressed up in costumes with puppets and visual aids.
Her board book, Dreidel Day is published by Lerner Publishing Group/ Kar-Ben Publishing, Fall, 2018. It has been selected as a PJ Library book and received the PJ Library Author Incentive Award.
Astro Pea is forthcoming March 28, 2019 from Schiffer Books.
The Brave Cyclist, The True Story

News & Interviews

Summer is perfect for plenty of things: mojitos, sleeping with the window fan on, and sprawling out with a hot romance novel (in a heavily...