Start by marking “Emergence” as Want to Read:

Emergence

A SCALPEL WIELDING VILLAIN.
A HEALTHCARE SYSTEM THAT FAILS.
A WHISTLEBLOWER THAT PROTECTS HER PATIENTS – NO MATTER THE COSTS.

Trusted anesthesiologist, Dr. Roxanne Roth, is healing from the loss of her fiancé by consuming her time with work. It doesn’t hurt that her new love interest, Dr. Justin Kirkland, spends almost as much time at the hospital as she does.

Entranced in the
Published September 15th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Emergence, please sign up.
Shira Shiloah Yes, thank you for asking. It is a combined paranormal Thriller with subgenre of historical fiction. Work in progress, hope to release it 2022.
Shira Shiloah Hi there, I apologize for the delayed response. There are scenes in the operating room, I do not know if they are "graphic" but readers have stated th…moreHi there, I apologize for the delayed response. There are scenes in the operating room, I do not know if they are "graphic" but readers have stated they felt like they were actually in the OR.(less)

Start your review of Emergence
Shalini
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Medical thriller was the place where I started my love story with thrillers, which, till today, is going strong. Having read books by Henry Denker and Arthur Hailey, I want my medical thrillers to thrill me and take me on a different high.

I really wanted to love this book since it was written by an anaesthesiologist. The blurb and cover pulled me in. The beginning brought out the excitement in me as it was absolutely rocking.

The characters were well defined in their roles. Roxanne Roth was a bri
Nataša
Sep 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
The lovely anesthesiologist, Dr. Roxanne Roth, is devastated after loosing her fiancé. She is spending most her time at work. Maybe she fund her new love there too. Dr. Justin Kirkland, spends almost as much time at the hospital as she does. They seems to match but everything that happanes at the hospital is a lot. Unfortunatelly a doctor is addicted and has no measures at his work. He left patient die and things can not be like that. Then we get some thriller too, with the catch to this doctor. ...more
Lauren
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fast paced medical thriller. As a medical professional it can be hard to read medical thrillers especially ones that remind you of doctor death. However this one was very fast paced and kept the pages turning it also had a little bit of romance thrown in there which made it more appealing. Overall a great debut novel! Cannot wait to read what is next!!
Bonnie
Dec 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
I didn't get very far in this book before I decided I didn't want to keep reading. The reviews sounded really promising with an interesting story, but there was fairly explicit sex within a few pages and sex seemed to be the main thing on the minds of the characters in the next few pages so I quit and started another book. ...more
loopyloulaura
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Roxanne Roth is a dedicated anaesthesiologist but her former class mate D.K. Webb is less than professional. Mistakes and deaths cannot be ignored but can Roxanne get the senior doctors to take her concerns seriously?
I love medical thrillers so was excited to join in with this book tour. I was NOT disappointed! There was plenty of medical detail and the knowledge of the author really added an authenticity to the narrative.
I have never had surgery but can imagine the nerves and trust required to
elle | silver.lining.reader
May 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised while listening to Emergence! While categorized as a “medical thriller” it also had strong pulls toward romance—which made a great combination in this debut novel.

Shiloah, once an anesthesiologist herself, showed very detailed knowledge of the medical terminology—while impressive, it did lose me a little. However, I felt like I was right there in the OR with the surgical team. And all the prominent characters were so well-written!

Narrator Simone McIntyre made this aud
Jessica Belmont
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review:
You know when you read a book that blows you away and then you realize it’s a debut novel? I am SO impressed with Emergence by Shira Shiloah MD. I cannot wait to read more by this author. She’s already proving herself as a force!
It is very clear the experience and knowledge of the author was used to write this novel. This makes it so much more realistic and fun to read.
The characters are so great. They are u interested, their friendships are so good to read. I am obsessed with how the cha
Claire Davis
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have given Emergence by Shira Shiloah four out of five stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Who knew I needed a medical thriller in my life? I didn’t, until I read Emergence and woah am I glad I did. A very gripping, suspenseful thriller which will leave you with a different outlook on what surgeons are capable of (although it wouldn’t change my view on being treated for procedures, I can definitely see and understand why some people might hesitate to have them
Heather
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Terrific debut novel by my friend and I am so proud of her because it is genuinely great (phew!). Medical thriller about a Memphis anesthesiologist who figures out an OR doctor is killing his patients. I have high standards right now -- if you can't suck me in and distract me from pandemic & election mayhem, then I have to move on. And this one was just the engaging twisty ticket. Want MOAR! ...more
Megan
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love ir

Awesome book.. Had me hooked from the beginning.
Its a sort of book,you can't put down until the end. Cheers
Jenn (burlingtonbibliophagist)

By Shira Shiloah

Synopsis

Dr. Roxanne Roth is an OR anesthesiologist, who lives for her work. She is healing from the tragic loss of her fiancé and just recently opened up herself to love again with a colleague.

Dr Webb believes himself a God when he wields a scalpel. He can do no wrong. He is quickly gaining a reputation and a body count.

Dr.Roth finds herself partnered with the surgeon for a routine procedure when everything goes horribly wrong. Dr.Webb, riding a cocaine high intentional
Barbara bradley
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This was an unusual story as I’m not in the medical field. I was so interested in learning new things and feeling like I was right there in the operating room.
The characters were such interesting and real people .I feel like I know them.
This is my favorite book of 2020, and I have ave read many!
Audiobookreviewer
This is a riveting story. They say “do no harm” but Dr. D.K. Webb, a neurosurgeon missed the memo! After several “errors” and complaints about his job performance or rather lack of … Dr. Roxanne Roth, Anesthesiologist takes action. Recovering from the loss of her fiancé, Roth is determined to lose herself in her work. That is until one of her patients suffers a deadly setback. Now more determined than ever, she is seeking justice!
The author, Shira Shiloah knows how to write a medical thriller gi
Jocelyne
May 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was my first Shira Shiloah's book. This Medical Thriller is intriguing, and captivating. The storyline has a slow pace, letting the reader anticipate the suspense. I liked the twists and turns. Impossible to put it down. Simone McIntyre has a beautiful voice, and a great range of voices. She did a great job with the narration. I enjoyed it. ...more
rose clark
Jun 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great read.

I like medical stories. The characters' were very interesting. The story kept my attention. I didn't like the way it ended.
Theresa Vonada
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
I needed a nice, easy, quick read. Sadly, there are providers who practice for the wrong reason.
Nancy
Sep 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"Emergence" reminds me of Tess Gerritson's early works, which I love. It was a medical slasher with a bit of romance. I'm going to read more of Dr. Shira Shiloah's books. ...more
Harris York
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Medical information was totally correct. There was evil discussion. There was true love. The criminal was caught. The heroine won.
Mrs CarolineVass
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mexican Gothic
  • My Lovely Wife
  • Grown Ups
  • The Royal We (Royal We, #1)
  • Hench
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • Oona Out of Order
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #16)
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • The Pretty Ones (Kate Reid #6)
  • Do No Harm (The Medical Students, #1)
  • The Librarian of Auschwitz
  • Median Gray
  • The Nurse
  • The Cactus
  • The Pain Colony (The Colony #1)
  • Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
DR. SHIRA SHILOAH received her medical degree from the University of Tennessee and completed her Anesthesiology residency at Northwestern University.

Shira’s debut novel evolved from a short story written for the Annual National Medical Fiction Writing Competition for Physicians in 2007. After placing third in the contest, Shira discovered she enjoyed writing and carried on with the hobby for thirt

News & Interviews

Mahogany L. Browne is the author of Chlorine Sky, Woke: A Young Poets Call to Justice, Woke Baby, and Black Girl Magic. She's also the...