Start by marking “Sisters of the Snake (Ria & Rani, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sisters of the Snake (Ria & Rani, #1)

Sisters of the Snake

(Ria & Rani #1)

A lost princess. A dark puppet master. And a race against time—before all is lost.

Princess Rani longs for a chance to escape her gilded cage and prove herself. Ria is a street urchin, stealing just to keep herself alive.

When these two lives collide, everything turns on its head: because Ria and Rani, orphan and royal, are unmistakably identical.

A deal is struck to switch p
Published June 15th 2021 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Sisters of the Snake, please sign up.
nitya there's romance (kissing mostly) and some swear words (both real and made up). so this might not be your cup of tea.

also, the "clean vs books with sex…more

also, the "clean vs books with sex/language/etc" labeling is so puritanical and needs to die honestly.(less)
Sasha Nanua Violence, death on the page (early in book), blood, child abuse, branding

Start your review of Sisters of the Snake (Ria & Rani, #1)
Chelsea Humphrey
"His executions are more painful than a sword through the chest. The royals use snakes. They twist their fangs in your gut and don't let go."

What a fun adventure this was! As someone who thoroughly enjoys reading books based in cultures outside of my own, it was refreshing to submerge myself in an Indian YA fantasy and learn about the food, the setting, and all the other glorious cultural details along the way. Even though this book is fantasy fiction, I felt like I learned so much from the auth
Avani ✨
Sep 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Sisters Of The Snake by Sarena & Sasha Nanua, another south asian (desi) fantasy of two sisters : Ria and Rani, one is an orphan and another one is a princess. This is the first book in the Ria&Rani duology by the author duo.

The book is soooo gooodddddd, being a debut I loved reading about my own culture, the food, the fighting as well as the politics between the people. The book is a perfect own voices fantasy debut everyone should definitely read.

Also known as a retelling of The Prince & The P
Sasha Nanua
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: iwrotethisbook
UPDATE 07/20/20: WE HAVE A TITLE CHANGE!!! SISTERS OF THE SNAKE is coming to a bookshelf near you, Summer 2021! *insert snake hiss here*
-----
01/08/20: Ria & Rani is our Indian-inspired twin-swap YA fantasy book that we've been working on for 3 years! If you're a fan of THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN, THE WRATH AND THE DAWN, AN EMBER IN THE ASHES, or THREE DARK CROWNS, then be sure to check it out!
Fanna
Aug 21, 2020 marked it as will-get-back-to-asap  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-releases
↣ digital copy received via edelweiss↢

March 15, 2021: Who has an early copy of one of the most anticipated south-asian releases of this year? ME. ME. ME. AH.

October 06, 2020: DID YOU SEE THAT COVER??? DID you see the gorgeous illustration? Do you see my heart swell with so much happiness OMG

August 21, 2020: I mean, any fantasy that's Indian-inspired is ON MY LIST so yeah, you can see me excited for this twin getting separated and one is a street thief and one is a princess YES IT SOUNDS SO G
kashvi
Oct 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
i will never EVER STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS BOOK SOMEONE GET ME THE NEXT BOOK OR I WILL CRY HOW DO AUTHORS WRITE THESE MAGICAL AND ADDICTIVE STORIES *SOBS*😭😭😭😭
trishla ⚡ | YourLocalBookReader
3 stars.

I will admit this was a buddy read with a few of my other Desi friends. Did we love the rep? yes. did it feel authentic to us? yes.

However, this book reads like a first draft of fanfiction. At 14 I would have killed for this, at 23, all I can see are the plot holes. We actually ended up making a google doc titled "I Have Many Questions Sasha and Sarena ". Some of the highlights are below.

How were Aditi and Ria in the orphanage at the same time when they have such a huge age gap?
Why co
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
so this is basically a fantasy retelling of The Prince and the Pauper?? Got it and want it
gauri (A Book and Chai)
check out the full review along with an aesthetic on my blog!

Sisters of the Snake is an impressive debut of twin sisters written by twin authors. If you're looking for a quick read that reminds you of Barbie movies with magic, found family, rich Indian inspired atmosphere and a fast paced fantasy, this is the one!
Sahitya
It’s always so much fun to discover desi debut authors and get to read and talk about their books in advance. And that’s exactly my feeling tonight after finishing this book - delight.

The author-sister duo really managed to create a very entertaining and engaging story here, which got its hook in me very quickly. Once I started, there was no way I could stop because there’s almost a breakneck pace, and with so much happening in every chapter and with revelation after revelation; all I wanted to
soap
Feb 21, 2022 rated it it was ok
i was so excited to start this because it looked like a beautiful desi fantasy that i would enjoy and love. oh how wrong i was.

there were so many plot holes. it seemed like everyone around them just turn into adrien agreste after they switched places; THEY WERE SO FUCKING BLIND AND OBLIVIOUS. that's the only reason their stupid, unthought-out plan worked.

their plan was so rushed. rani just saw someone who looked exactly like her and went, "oh hey youre a stranger but haha guess we're twins 😁👍 n
Amanda
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Review: 3.5 stars

Sisters of the Snake appealed to me for so many reasons. I love books that have plots about two identical people switching places and have read so many great books with this premise. Sisters of the Snake is also a retelling of The Princess and the Pauper, and while I don’t know that story well I do love reading retellings. But the main reasons this book interested me were that it’s a cultural fantasy and
Raven
Jun 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Harper Collins for giving me an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for a review.

I really enjoyed this book and thought it was a great fantasy read. It is infused with culture, language, political intrigue, secrets, adventure, romance and magic.

A story about twins who didn’t know the other existed and decide to switch places in order to find a magical item called the bloodstone that will stop the impending war.

This is a wonderful fantasy and very easy to read. If you are
Fizah(Books tales by me)
May 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021-read
Thanks to Edelweiss+ and Published for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sisters of the Snake is promised as an Indian-inspired fantasy. Rani and Ria are twins and princess of Abai. But the thing is Ria grew up in an orphanage and is a thief whereas Rani grew up in Palace. One thing that is common in both is that they are unaware of each other and in Ria's case whole family.

It is an authentic story with loads of potential. The world-building was brilliant and it didn't even take one ch
Alex Nonymous
Jul 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7-8-and-9
I think my biggest issue with Sisters of the Snake was that while the story was so intriguing and I wanted to love it, I kept stumbling across small issue after small issue, thinking "I shouldn't mention it in the review because maybe this issue won't carry over into the final version", then remembered that I wasn't reading an advanced copy, I was reading the actual book.

Sibling writing duos are so cool, but I think a lot more needed to be polished between the two narrators. A lot of things are
nitya
Jun 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Prince(ss) and the Pauper retelling I always wanted!!!

I am not a twin but grew up watching everything about twin sisters (Sister Sister, Mary Kate and Ashley's entire filmography, etc) and the authors did too. So when they pitched this book as an Indian (specifically Punjabi) influenced fantasy focusing on a princess and a thief who are also twins, I was 100% sold.

At nearly 500 pages, this may seem daunting but the writing is very engaging (dual POV), there's lots of court intrigue and twist
We stan rad twin Canadian authors in this house!! I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this and I am here to tell you it will not disappoint. Look out for this if you want a refreshing fairy-tale retelling!
Raeesah Da'Neer
Jun 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-reviews
Thank you netgalley for providing an arc in exchange for a. Honest review!

What a delightful read! I wasn’t bored at all through this despite it being a retelling, there were some unexpected plot twists and turns I didn’t see coming! There were some crumbs of romance which I enjoyed. I would have liked to see some more of the sisters bonding I feel like they switched too quick and it was kinda rushed. However this book is fast paced and gets to the point which I appreciated!
Jay G
Sep 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

Princess Rani and street urchin, Ria were unaware they were twin sisters until they see one another accidentally. They decide to switch places, each seeking something personal in their lives.

I love that this is a book about twin sisters, written by twin sisters! I enjoyed the characters and the dual POV
Toya (the reading chemist)
Jun 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is such a great retelling of The Prince and the Pauper!
Ayushi (bookwormbullet)
Thank you so much to HarperCollins Children's Books & Harper Teen for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

2021 must really be my year of reading amazing South Asian fantasies because Sisters of the Snake was amazing. I loved this retelling of The Prince and the Pauper, which has been one of my favorite stories from my childhood. As the authors mention in their Authors’ Note, this really is a story of sisterhood above all. The magic system and world-building was great too an
Sayantoni Das
Oct 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adored this desi fantasy! Reminded me of the Prince and the Pauper but with a twist.

Ria and Rani are twins who were seperated. Finding their ways back to each other, they have no idea they actually are sisters. The drama that unfolds with a dark conspiracy transpiring in the backdrop is what made this all the more exciting.

The world building is absolutely stunning, pretty placid. I would have enjoyed more intricate details but then I realised it was solely character driven.

The wri
belle ☆ミ (thisbellereadstoo)
check out my full thoughts on my blog~

Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher and authors!

review
Pitched as an Indian retelling of The Princess and the Pauper, Sisters of the Snake reminded me of the Barbie movie infused with Disney vibes and magic. With the twins swapping roles and positions, finding out that they come in a pair, neither of them was ready for what’s to come.

The only thing they could do is to lie and adapt. Raised differently, these two sister
Trisha
Adventurous and highly addictive, Sisters of the Snake was very hard to put down once I started reading because I wanted to see what would happen next for both of the sisters. I really enjoy reading about cultures outside of my own and it often leads to wanting to find out even more. In so many ways, I find it refreshing to reach for own voices and I cannot wait to see what will come next. This really was a fun and exciting read filled with deadly prophecies, hushed secrets, dark magic, hidden t ...more
Charvi
May 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Dnf @22%

I wanted to like this so much, I truly did! And I think the book started out well, I was enjoying the set up and world-building but I couldn't get on board with the pacing and writing style. I literally have zero interest in any of the characters and I'm bored...

Of course my experience doesn't have to be yours, it's just that this book didn't work out for me

I received and arc of this book from the authors but my review remains honest and unbiased
Hayden (bookish.hayden)
Jun 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was such a fun adventure! Very fast paced, with an interesting story. It was well written, and though the concept isn't super unique per say, the execution was on point.

This book is told through dual perspectives, we get both Ria and Rani. The twins are very much opposite, coming from vastly different walks of life.

Ria grew up in an orphanage, and then spent her time on the streets. Most of her time in this book is spent in the castle, but it is established that she is a good thief,
kate
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5* A quick and easy read that definitely gave me some throwback, mid 2010's, YA fantasy vibes (which was so much fun!) I found the story itself enjoyable, the magic interesting and the characters likeable and the world enticing. However, I definitely preferred one POV and storyline over the other and there were a few plot holes that bothered me. That being said, this was an overall enjoyable read and one I definitely had fun with. I have a feeling this would be a great introduction for new fan ...more
Samar
Mar 03, 2022 marked it as dnf
Shelves: dnf-2022
DNF @ 17%

Nothing wrong with this at all! In fact, it's pretty well-written; my only gripe is that we have two first person POVs, which could be confusing. I like the world and the characters. I just couldn't really get as invested as I wanted to, and this book is loooong, probably too long, and I could feel that it was going to be pretty slow-paced and somewhat predictable. I'd recommend it if you like this kind of YA fantasy.
Grace Arango (G-Swizzel Books)
Mar 20, 2022 rated it really liked it
This was a GREAT Prince and the Pauper reimagining (which is not what I expected from this book at all before I started reading it). I was hooked from the very beginning and there are so many questions I still have, but I guess I gotta wait until the sequel to get my answers.
USOM
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Sisters of the Snake is one of those books where I was utterly entertained the whole way through. Sisters who discover each other, jewel heists, and magical powers that seem more like curses, Sisters of the Snake is packed with adventure. It's almost like if "The Parent Trap" met magical settings and high stakes kingdom defying odds. This dual POV story allows us to get to know Ria an
kashmala
Jul 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
-DNF @ 46%
-if you’re going to switch, plz be better actors 😔🤚
-not sure if this was going to happen, but it felt like the prince was falling for ria and the boy for rani, and it just felt icky?? 🤨Like they should have told them about the switch before feelings got involved
-the characters were one-dimensional and weren’t developed further than that
-rani’s motivation in the beginning of the switch: gotta become a good queen and will leave on a mission to find a stone (??because a tutor told you to

• Legendary (Caraval, #2)
  • Birdspell
  • Happily Ever Afters (Happily Ever Afters, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • With the Fire on High
  • Beach Read
  • Sisters of the Wolf
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #1)
  • The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle, #4)
  • Murder Lo Mein (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • His Master's Voice
  • A Pho Love Story
  • Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
  • The Blood (Jem Flockhart, #3)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Sisters of Sword and Song
  • Leaving Isn't the Hardest Thing
See top shelves…
Sarena is a 22-year-old from Ontario. She is the co-author of The Pendant Trilogy with her twin sister, Sasha Nanua. She loves to read and write YA and MG novels.

Blog: thependanttrilogy.wordpress.com

**does not check GR messages**

Ria & Rani (2 books)
  • Daughters of the Dawn (Ria & Rani, #2)

Articles featuring this book

If it's been a while since you last picked up a young adult novel, you might be surprised to learn that it's not all vampire romances and teen...
“You can be more than what the stars wish for. More than you ever dreamed.” 4 likes
“They expect us to die, but the best revenge is to live.” 3 likes