Jump to ratings and reviews
When a sniper killed his partner, Sean McPherson was injured in the ambush. Now an ex-cop, he takes a job at a writing retreat in the Pacific Northwest. At Pines & Quill, he hopes to heal and put his life back together in the Zen-like capacity of groundskeeper and all-around handyman.

Sniper, Jason Hughes, blames McPherson for the loss of more than ten million dollars’ worth of heroin—and he wants revenge.

In the guise of a New York City limo driver working on a sizzling tell-all memoir, Hughes arrives at Pines & Quill along with three other writers in residence: a bohemian psychic taking a break from grueling work as a forensic intuitive, a bitter divorcée who wants to open herself to a new life, and a vibrant and resilient potter navigating life from a wheelchair.

With conflicting agendas, uncertain loyalties, and romantic entanglements at play, Hughes finds it difficult to get McPherson in his sights. Gradually, he forms a different plan, one that threatens the lives of everyone at the retreat.

304 pages, Paperback

First published April 6, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Laurie Buchanan

6 books290 followers
Laurie Buchanan writes the Sean McPherson novels—fast-paced thrillers set in the Pacific Northwest that feature a trifecta of malice and the pursuit and cost of justice.

Be sure to follow Laurie on BookBub for the latest on sales https://www.bookbub.com/authors/lauri...

Her books have won multiple awards, including the Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Gold Winner, International Book Award Gold Winner, National Indie Excellence Awards Winner, Crime Fiction/Suspense Eric Hoffer Awards Finalist, PenCraft Award for Literary Excellence, and CIBA Clue Book Award Finalist.

A cross between Dr. Dolittle, Nanny McPhee, and a type-A Buddhist, Buchanan is an active listener, observer of details, payer of attention, reader and writer of books, kindness enthusiast, and red licorice aficionado.

Laurie and her husband live in the Pacific Northwest, where she enjoys long walks, bicycling, camping, and photography—because sometimes the best word choice is a picture.

To learn more, please visit Laurie's website at www.lauriebuchanan.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 115 reviews
Profile Image for Pat.
2,310 reviews384 followers
March 29, 2022
I loved this story. In some ways it felt like a cosy because the characters were all so darn nice (apart from the bad guy)! There was even a doggie hero - the massive 150lb Irish Wolfhound, Hemingway. And there was a bit of romance, not enough to ruin the book thankfully. One the other hand there were thriller elements - we knew who the bad guy was and we knew his agenda. This gave the book a constant sense of menace as we waited for the bad guy to make his move! And he was a very bad bad guy.

Five years ago Sean McPherson, known as Mick, was in the SFPD and in a car with his detective partner, Sam, when a sniper killer Sam who was driving and the car crashed spectacularly, severely injuring Mick. The shooter was never caught. These days Mick, on indefinite sick leave from the force, lives and works at Pines and Quill, a writer’s retreat run by his older sister, Libby, and her chef husband, Niall.

The story starts with the arrival of a new group of writers to the retreat. These are:
. Jason Hughes, we don’t know what he does for a living,
. Cynthia Winters, a forensic intuitive,
. Fran Davies who is trying to find meaning in her life after realising
she will never have children, and
. Emma Benton, suddenly and mysteriously paralysed from the waist
down.

This is a very character driven story and, as I said, they are all delightful, people and we get to know them quite well. Close bonds are formed with this cast of people, especially with Hemingway who really steals the show.

However tension rises as we get closer to the bad guy making his move. There was nothing cosy about this part of the book as lives were in the balance. It is all about that night five years ago when Mick’s partner was killed. It does end on a bit of a cliffhanger and I have the next book which I will be reading soon. Many thanks to the author and BookSirens for the free e-arc which I reviewed voluntarily and honestly.
Profile Image for ABookwormWithWine.
1,347 reviews484 followers
October 2, 2021
Indelible by Laurie Buchanan is book one of the Sean McPherson novels, and what a start it was. I loved the setting of the writing retreat, and the fact she starts off each chapter with a different author quote was a nice touch. There is a decent-sized cast of characters and we get quite a few viewpoints, but I loved the way we get to know each one of them. The different viewpoints all added something to the story which doesn't always happen, and for me, they helped keep the story interesting. I immediately felt for McPherson, and he is a character with quite the tough but interesting backstory. I got lost in the atmospheric feel of the retreat and the PNW, and I enjoyed Buchanan's descriptive writing. It is hard for me to explain, but she has a certain style that really helped bring everything in the book to life for me without being too over the top.

There are some parts where I thought the pacing dipped a bit, but overall, this was a very quick and engaging read. The pace towards the end is basically nonstop, and I ended up being completely blown away by some of the twists. Indelible is a great book for people who love remote settings and character development, and if you love dogs you will especially love Hemingway our Irish wolfhound. I didn't actually know what an Irish wolfhound looked like, but after I looked at pictures it was definitely spot on to the way Buchanan described him. The revenge plot with Jason even scared me at times, and I found myself fully wrapped up in the story. I basically forgot this was a thriller until I got to the end, but there is still some great suspense before that. I will definitely be reading the next McPherson book, and I can't wait to see where Buchanan takes the rest of this series.

Profile Image for Sharon Dukett.
Author 1 book60 followers
October 7, 2020
Buchanan has given us a new hero in Sean McPherson, a man struggling with his past who is tough and sensitive, yet ready to hunt down evil to defend those who need him.

Amid a cast of engaging characters who have all come to write at a retreat known as Pen and Quill, the suspense builds in a crescendo along the Pacific Northwest coast.

Note: Don't read this book when you are hungry. The descriptions of meals served by the owner / chef at the retreat will leave you salivating.
Profile Image for Michelle Cox.
Author 7 books1,882 followers
November 14, 2020
“Indelible is a fantastic start to what one hopes is a long-running series. Buchanan has created a fascinating thriller set in a writers’ retreat in the Pacific Northwest. Atmospheric and delicious, Buchanan treats her readers’ senses while taking them on a roller-coaster of emotion. Cleverly balancing humor, romance, and a healthy dose of thrill, Buchanan delivers a perfect mystery. You won’t be able to put it down!”
Profile Image for Ann Garvin.
Author 4 books487 followers
November 16, 2020
"A captivating cast, an isolated location, a raging storm, and the threat of death in every dark corner. Indelible reads like the best crime fiction with a shot of adrenalin. Get ready to stay up late because you won’t want to put it down."
Profile Image for Margaret Mizushima.
Author 9 books817 followers
August 5, 2021
With Indelible, Laurie Buchanan delivers everything I like--engaging characters, a chilling plot, and a vivid setting that I wish I could visit! I want to stay at Pines & Quill, but without serial killers please.
Profile Image for Saralyn Richard.
Author 8 books191 followers
November 15, 2020
“Unputdownable! Buchanan reels the reader in with descriptions of the setting―a writers’ retreat in the breath-taking natural preserves of Washington State. Each of the writer-guests has a personal agenda and style, and the characters are relatable. The tension of the plot contrasts starkly with the peacefulness of the surroundings, so the reader is led repeatedly through crisis and calm, building up to the climax of the book. Simply captivating!”
Profile Image for Sue .
1,588 reviews95 followers
February 1, 2021
I started this book on a Sunday evening and planned to read a few chapters. At 3am, I put the finished book down. Once I started this suspenseful book, there was no way that I could stop until I read it all. WOW

Sean was a policeman who was injured in an accident after a sniper killed his partner. He left the force and went to the writers retreat run by his sister and her husband to recuperate. The retreat in the beautiful and serene Pacific Northwest helped him heal physically and mentally as he worked as a general handyman. He picks up the four new writers in residence at Sea-Tac airport and is immediately drawn to Emma, a young woman in a wheelchair. The other writers are a psychic, a bitter divorcee and a limo driver from NYC. All four of them are writing books about their experiences in life but in reality, the limo driver is really a criminal who wants to kill Sean and ends up threatening to harm all of the people at the retreat.

This is an unputdownable book that contrasts the beauty of the Pacific Northwest with the terrible thoughts of a serial killer - it contrasts four people who create their worlds with words with someone who creates his world with fear and torture. Clear your calendar before you start this fantastic new thriller. You won't want to put it down until the end.

This is book #1 in a new series and I can't wait to read the next book and read more about Sean McPherson and the writers retreat in Washington.
Profile Image for Jamele (BookswithJams).
1,077 reviews52 followers
April 27, 2021
First of all, I need a retreat like this for reading instead of writing. Somewhere to get away, in a house named after a classic author, customized based on what the owner knows about me so far. And then to have an exquisite dinner cooked every single night and I get to know some fabulous people while eating amazing food and drink fantastic wine? For three weeks? I need this place to exist. What I could do without is my life being in danger while I’m there, that’s all.

This was a wonderful read, I got lost in the descriptions of the setting, and really enjoyed the quotes at the beginning of each chapter by a different author. The first part of the book was a slow build, and in fact I forgot it was a thriller as I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each of the characters. And that was just when the thriller side of things took off and this became a page turner. Buchanan does a fantastic job at setting the stage, getting you to feel for each of these characters, my favorite of all being Irish wolfhound Hemingway, whom I cannot forget to mention here. This is the first in a series and I am excited to see what happens in the next one!

Thank you to the author for the gifted copy to review!
Profile Image for Cheryl.
5,014 reviews178 followers
March 14, 2021
This first book in what appears will be a really good series is a nice start. It is always a fine line to find the right balance when it comes to book one in a series. Do you giveaway a lot or draw it out to tease readers into reading the next book; particularly when the books flow from one to the next. This book can be read as a stand alone novel. So no worries there.

The main character, Sean aka Mick has a really good backstory that lends nicely to this book. So right away I was compassionate to his story. There is a cast of characters in this story. Each one brought something to the story and were just as engaging.

There were moments when the story dipped a slight bit with the pacing. However, I still did find it a fairly fast read. The last several chapters flew by and the story ended with a bang. I will read the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Jeff Nania.
Author 3 books86 followers
April 25, 2021
One of the chapters in Laurie Buchanan’s “Indelible” begins with a quote from Mark Twain: “The difference between the almost right word and the right word is… the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.”

Buchanan is masterful at choosing the right word. She takes us to a secluded retreat in the Pacific Northwest, where writers have come to practice their craft in an atmosphere of tranquility and genial comradery. They have no idea a killer is among them, nor who the intended victim is. She carefully builds suspense until putting the book down becomes impossible. “Indelible” is the perfect title for this memorable story.
Profile Image for Branita J.
45 reviews6 followers
February 1, 2023
I enjoyed this book immensely. It was well written. My favorite character was Hemingway, the dog. I always love a good story with animals. This one had suspense and murder to go along with it. I will say, it was predictable, but that didn't take away from the story. I will definitely be checking out the next 2 books in the series.

Thank you to booksirens and Laurie Buchanan for this ARC.
Profile Image for Regina Buttner.
Author 2 books96 followers
January 9, 2023
What a fantastic setting for a fascinating and chilling story! The Pines & Quill writers’ retreat appears to be an idyllic location for four aspiring writers to gather and pursue their individual muses—but deadly danger awaits the cast of unique and engaging characters, along with a touch of romance to round out this first installment in Laurie Buchanan’s debut crime series. Looking forward to delving deeper into the world of ex-cop Sean McPherson!
Profile Image for Saloni arora.
81 reviews
May 3, 2021
My Rating: 5/5 ⭐

📚 Such a compelling, action-packed, full of suspense and surely worth a read. It will for sure keep you engaged from the beginning till the end. The plot was interesting, as well as very well written. The book will have your full attention, energy and you won't be able to put down the book before you complete it. Such thriller books are full of suspense and mystery. You wouldn't like to miss this out. All the characters were really well described that you could imagine all of their personalities in your head, the storyline progressed and accelerated, and the novel ended with a satisfying conclusion.

📚 The book begins when the bullet hits Sean McPherson's partner. Jason Hughes, sniper, holds McPherson responsible for the disappearance of more than ten million dollars in drugs and seeks vengeance. At Pines & Quills, an authors retreat, four strangers meet. All of them people start working on their own manuscripts. Each character has their own story to tell. Libby's brother Mick (Sean Macpherson), an ex-cop, runs Pines & Quills with her impeccable hospitality, her husband Niall's tasty cooking, and Libby's brother Mick (aka Sean Macpherson), an ex-cop recovering from a loss in an unsolved tragic crime. Hemingway, a 150-pound Irish wolfhound, is definitely my favorite actor. All these four people who have come from all over the world to work on their fictions. But, one of them in particular has different intentions except writing. I'm not at all giving more spoilers. Must read to find the main moto of that particular person to be here, among them.

📚 This book gave me a vibe, as if I'm watching a movie. Because each and everything mentioned in the book was totally being imagined easily in my mind. I enjoyed reading this one a lot. If you wish to read a book full of thriller, actions, suspense, and a pinch of love, trust me, you should go for it. You won't regret reading this one at all. The book deserves much much appreciation. I loved reading this book of approximately 300 pages, and loved each and every event happening in it. The plot did fair to describing and maintaining the flow with this amazing writing style. The title is perfectly suiting the book, and the cover goes well, too. So, grab your books fast and reading this book will be totally justice to the minds full of stress and to all other readers.
Profile Image for Marilyn.
Author 21 books365 followers
October 3, 2021
An exciting, suspenseful debut that takes place in a writers' retreat where a killer has plans to commit a murder. I look forward to read the second in the series.
Profile Image for Delphia  Von Heeder .
736 reviews13 followers
February 20, 2022
Indelible is Book 1 in A Sean McPherson Novel by Laurie Buchanan. I found Indelible to be a great thriller. The book is very well written and I really liked that instead of clues to guess the murderer, Laurie Buchanan had a Prelude and gave the background of the characters including the killer. I could hardly put the book down. Laurie Buchanan built the story to an exciting ending. And, just as I thought the ending of the story was coming, a surprise came out of left field and I was left hoping book 2 comes quickly! I received an arc for free and am leaving my review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Kimberlee (reading.wanderwoman).
210 reviews7 followers
April 21, 2021
I love when books are based in nearby towns. This one in Bellingham, and while I've yet to spend a lot of time in that town, I hope to soon!

Four strangers all meet at Pines & Quills, a writers retreat. Some go to work on their individual manuscripts. Every character has a unique story to tell. Pines & Quills run by Libby with her impeccable hospitality, her husband Niall and his delicious food and Libby's brother Mick (aka Sean Macpherson) ex-cop recovering from a loss from an unsolved tragic crime. And probably my most favorite character, Hemingway, a 150lbs Irish wolfhound. We meet four others who have traveled there from all over to work on their writing. All four with different backgrounds, and one in particular, with ulterior motives besides writing.

Impossible to give away more details without spoiling it, but if you love a good suspense novel, mixed with a little bit of love and delicious food, this is definitely one to read. As this is the first in a series, I look forward to the rest.
Profile Image for Chris Norbury.
Author 3 books63 followers
April 6, 2021
Laurie Buchanan's debut thriller is refreshing in many ways. An idyllic, remote writing retreat in northwest Washington serves as a perfect backdrop for the plot. She effortlessly incorporates all five senses into her descriptions. The central cast of characters is unique and complex. Buchanan's singular style gives us hints of cozy mysteries, a generous dose of romantic suspense, some downright scary scenes, and several clever plot twists.

The main character, Sean "Mick" McPherson, is a solid protagonist with just enough baggage of his own to give him depth and believability. Her psychopathic yet nuanced antagonist, Jason Hughes, is instantly despicable and creepy. Once he's on the prowl, no one is safe. The pace is a roller coaster ride--the reader is by turns absorbed into the tranquil world of the perfect writing retreat, then abruptly shocked back to harsh reality when Jason takes center stage. The tension builds from the first page and never lets up until the last page.
Profile Image for Allison Merrill.
Author 6 books59 followers
April 25, 2021
Have you ever read a book and wondered how in the world the author came up with such a brilliant story idea? I just did. Laurie Buchanan’s INDELIBLE, A SEAN MCPHERSON NOVEL is a page-turner that hooked me from the first page and didn’t let go until the end. ⁣

Ex-cop, Sean McPherson, takes a job as a groundskeeper and handyman at Pines & Quill––a writing retreat in the Pacific Northwest. Meanwhile, a sniper disguises himself as a writer and comes to Pines & Quill, seeking revenge on McPherson for having intercepted his multi-million-dollar drug business. The story features a mixture of humor, romance, suspense, and plot twists. Buchanan’s writing is intelligent and well-paced, making this a fascinating thriller/mystery that’s hard to put down. I can’t wait to read the sequel! ⁣
Profile Image for Suzanne.
Author 2 books143 followers
June 26, 2021
Like any well-written psychological thriller, I reached a point in the book where I could NOT stop flying through the pages. Buchanan is skilled in her craft. The story brings us to a desolate and enviable writers retreat in the Pacific Northwest with a cast of colorful, three-dimensional characters that will inspire, (and terrify) the reader. Expect the unexpected! There will be twists and unforeseen turns at every bend in the path. Buchanan prefaces each chapter with a quote from many well-known authors throughout history on the craft which I found to be a charmingly delightful touch. She also generously added her prologue for her next book--ICONOCLAST--which sent a CHILL down my spine. I cannot wait to get my eager, shaky hands on Book 2 of the Sean McPherson Series!
Profile Image for Pamela.
Author 5 books37 followers
November 15, 2020
Indelible is for the reader who loves a fast-paced page-turner; for the reader who likes some sweet romance mixed in with riveting suspense; and for the reader who enjoys getting deeply involved with each character in a well-written book. Indelible is for the writer who fantasizes about an enchanting writing retreat like Indelible’s Pines & Quill. I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the sequel!
Profile Image for Sheila Lowe.
Author 27 books158 followers
April 21, 2021
Thrills and chills will keep you reading late into the night. If I were going to a writer’s retreat, it would be Pines & Quill, featured in INDELIBLE—only, without the psychopath stalking the guests. Knowing from the outset who the bad guy was doesn’t make the journey any less exciting as you wait, breathless, to see if his evil plans succeed.
Profile Image for Jody Hadlock.
Author 1 book191 followers
October 30, 2021
A mystery/thriller set at a writing retreat with unique characters and some romance... right up my alley! I loved the setting in the Pacific Northwest, an area I’m not that familiar with. The author’s descriptions really evoke the place, and the plot unfolded in ways I didn’t expect. And the ending. I don’t want to give it away, but let’s just say that I CAN’T wait for book two!

Profile Image for Debbie Herbert.
Author 71 books660 followers
November 14, 2020
“Fast-paced and with plenty of plot twists, you’re sure to be swept up into the story.”
―Debbie Herbert, USA Today best-selling author of southern suspense
Profile Image for Avanti Centrae.
Author 4 books337 followers
September 8, 2021
As the title implies, this story is unforgettable. Crisp, detailed writing makes the setting and characters jump off the pages.
Profile Image for Cheryl Bostrom.
Author 3 books93 followers
March 27, 2021
When given the opportunity to read Laurie Buchanan’s Indelible in exchange for an independent review, my curiosity piqued.

Never mind that I’m not drawn to novels where cops ferret out clues and hunt for killers. I quickly learned that this book, Buchanan’s first in her Sean McPherson series, is set at an imaginary writer’s retreat in the same forested, verdant county I call home.

Writing retreat? Pacific Northwest? The hook was dangling. I bit when I met her delightful characters in the opening chapters. Immersed in such a memorable setting, with people I’d love to know, I found myself caring for them, enjoying their esprit de corps as if I were one of them. So when their nemesis upped his deadly ante, I stayed on the line. Caught by the ever-increasing pace and intrigue, I raced with the plot without coming up for air.

I expect you’ll do the same. If you enjoy fast-paced, engagingly drawn thrillers set in the most spectacular of locations, this book’s for you.
117 reviews57 followers
June 22, 2022
Indelible by Laurie Buchanan, book one of the Sean McPherson novels, is a fun start to her new series. This book is my first by Laurie Buchanan; I enjoyed it. The book setting and environment, and each chapter starting with an author quote, was fascinating. There is a good number of characters in this book, as the audience gets their perspectives. I enjoyed getting to know each character; their various viewpoints kept the story interesting. This book was a quick but engaging read. The ending is fast-paced, and I was shocked by some of the twists in the book. Laurie Buchanan's descriptive writing was highly entertaining.

I received a free advance review copy from BookSirens. I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Profile Image for Patricia.
13 reviews
November 19, 2020
INDELIBLE is a suspenseful and masterly paced novel and I enjoyed it cover to cover. I feel privileged to have been sent an advanced copy and what a copy it turned out to be – a “designed pages” copy complete with drawings and punctuation, spelling, spacing, all included on my e-reader. I have never in my 11 years of reviewing books received such a magnificent early copy of any book. My blog is shutting down so I will squeeze in my words before the book is released (One can pre-order) in April and believe it will whet the appetite for more to come.

A group of want to be writers have arrived at a retreat center designed to provide a special space for them to accomplish their goal. Sean McPherson is there recovering from a serious injury he sustained while a police officer in which his partner was killed. He is working at the center and also hoping to write his story, find the perpetrator and discover relief. No one realizes that the perp is one of the writers at the retreat, he just seems rude and angry.

There is a precision to the words and when words are mixed with powerful descriptions it produced a magic. The writing retreat center visions just made the reader want to head there for the order and beauty and the thoughtful food. I have been to Fairhaven many times in my life and there was a strong capture of the environment and the energetic beauty of that location. The fictional additives just enhanced. The human and clothing descriptions created readable backstories to each character and gave an authentic image to the mind’s eye; the folks were recognizable, they became friends.

There is an underlying kindness in the story, which makes the danger, evil stand out clearly and caused a shiver along the spine. Conversations were precise and added to the context of the story as a writing retreat and a focusing center. The casual, easy words were there to bring a smile and offer more insight to the opportunity the retreat created. The violent words roared off the page.

Relationships are a cozy underlining premise in the storyline also. We witness all forms of broken connections and with the surround of a gracious mature couple one is moved slowly towards a pair who are discovering love. There were tremendous caregiving moments which developed a tension, pulling the reader to turn the page.

I am ready for Book Two and look forward to reading it. I am certain I will read INDELIBLE again before April. I weekly read Laurie Buchanan’s blog of pithy thought pieces on her page Tuesdays With Laurie https://tuesdayswithlaurie.com/2020/1... and write too long comments in reply to what her insights have caused to rise into my mind. I like her precision and perfection. I have read her two non-fiction books also
Note to Self https://patriciaswisdom.com/2017/04/n...
The Business of Being https://patriciaswisdom.com/2018/05/t...

Profile Image for Laurie Stevens.
Author 13 books75 followers
August 13, 2021
There’s a lot that touches a person and much to take away from this deliciously written novel. As an author I enjoyed the quotes from other authors and I enjoyed watching the writing process of the characters. Don’t think I didn’t want to spend every waking minute at the Pine and Quill where the writers retreat takes place. The mystery is good, the characters involved, and the villain appropriately horrid. I enjoyed this book very much. Lori Buchanan’s attention to detail is on target and places the reader in a beautiful setting. Count me in for all the gourmet meals in the book. Please?
Profile Image for R.M..
Author 4 books8 followers
June 5, 2021
Fantastic suspense!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 115 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.