Start by marking “The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)” as Want to Read:
The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)

The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)

Two men, Ulrich von Gradwitz and Georg Znaeym, are both in a forested area on the Carpathian Mountains one night. The men are sworn enemies, embroiled in a generations-old land dispute. On this particular night, each hopes to find the other in order to kill him in defense of their property rights
Published September 2002 by Perfection Learning (first published September 1910)

To ask other readers questions about The Interlopers, please sign up.

Start your review of The Interlopers (Tale Blazers)
Sheri
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, short-story
"Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony." -- Morpheus

This short story builds in suspense as you wonder who will triumph, then turns slightly anticlimactic as the tension eases, and then suddenly and unexpectedly culminates in a formidable conclusion.

Read online here: http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-sto...
PattyMacDotComma
Oct 31, 2020 marked it as read-story-article
“If only on this wild night, in this dark, lone spot, he might come across Georg Znaeym, man to man, with none to witness - that was the wish that was uppermost in his thoughts. And as he stepped round the trunk of a huge beech he came face to face with the man he sought.”

A long-standing family feud over a patch of forest find two enemies hunting at the same time. One is now the owner, the other is the dispossessed landholder now poaching. Each is really hoping to hunt the other.

The website at
K. Anna Kraft
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've arranged my thoughts into a haiku:

"It's all well and good,
Making peace, ending our strife,
But we're the squatters."
Justine
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a classic! It teaches you to forgive your enemy's even if they drive you crazy. To forgive and forget before it's too late to fix the past. It is definitely a dark humor. I liked it but if you don't like bad endings this isn't for you. ...more
Addie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this in English.
Austin Krause
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Personal Response:
This story was all right. I was not extremely impressed by it, but it was good enough to let me continue to read. It is very easy to understand, and it was a decent storyline. I didn't really like the point where the tree fell only because it made the story a little cheesey. Overall, this was not a very bad story for me to read, but it did have a sort of cliffhanger that I probably could predict.
Plot:
Ulrich von Gradwitz and Georg Znaeym have a very bad relation with each other.
Tyler Togstad
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Personal Response
When I went to go and read this book, I got exactly what I expected from any short story. Really if you think about it they all have the same formula. Some characters with different personalities have some problem and they solve it. Except the way they are enemies or the problem that they have changes. Generally the outcome is different as well. It is good for what it is, but not much more than that.

Plot
Basically the plot of the book is there are two rival hunters. Both of whic
Tania
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
I saw somebody's review of a book and started reading it on a whim. Encountered an unfamiliar word and googled it. Saw that there is a short story with this word as a title. Read this short story that had nothing to do at all with my reading plans. All in about half an hour. Ah, the true reality of the life of a book junkie.
As for the story, it's very nice, just what I look for in a short one - vivid characters and setting painted with quick strokes, rapid plot development, unexpected and impac
Zephren Milentz
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Peyton
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Read for school. It was ok
Simone
Read for school so no rating
Laura Guilbault
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A short story I read in my Language Arts class (grade 9). My favorite part was the end.
Morgan Monty
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Personal Response:
I read the short story version of this book. I liked this story very much because it left the reader in suspense for most of the time. I was always wondering whether they were going to murder each other or if they were going to make up in the end of the story. The suspense towards the end of the story was amazing as well due to both of the men not knowing who was running towards them.

Plot Summary:
There are two families that live near each other, one that owns hunting land and
Brock Brunner
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response
I found this short story to be one of the better ones I've read. I like the whole enemy of my enemy is my friend theme. The two men who've always hated each other eventually get into a situation where they must become friends to survive and I really enjoyed that.

Summary
This story is about two men who've hated each other for years. One of the men, Ulrich Von Gradwitz, owned a large forest with was overflowing with game. The other man however, inherited a quarry and was also a ga
Broderick Hageman
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a pretty good short story, the only one I've ever actually been interested in. I liked how the author addressed the fact that in life threatening circumstances it is better to come together than to pull apart. In The Interlopers this happens after the tree falls and pins the two characters to the ground. After realizing that they would be there a while, they had a change in heart about each other. For years their families had been sworn enemies, but this one situation made them realize ho ...more
Naveen
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Classic story of vendetta and reconciliation; Masterful narration with a swift storyline and limited character cast.
Tanner Walling
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good suspense, a cliffhanger ending, and good writing. Characters are good. Not necessarily something I'd read again or typically read, but I'm glad I read it because I like suspense.

3.5 stars.
Rylee Bartel
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Personal Response: I thought this short story of the book was very suspenseful. It was always leaving me as the reader wondering what was going to happen next. One thing I wanted to know was if the two guys were going to murder each other or just fight the whole time.

Plot Summary: This short story was a short version of the book. And it was about to families that lived near each other that shared a little piece of land. But these two families hate each other a lot as well. Ulrich's family owns t
Anatoly
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Interlopers by Saki -- Review
The short story "The Interlopers" by Saki is about long-standing grudges between two neighboring families. The two main characters of the story hated each other but by the will of fortune (or unfortunate) they had to stay in one place for a few hours.
After one of them made a step toward reconciliation, the other accepted it with pleasure. They imagined how surprised their neighbors would be seeing them together... This relationship did however not last long.
Wha
Stacey Browne
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Gale Harrison
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
The Interlopers is one of those books you have to read for school. Otherwise, I probably would not have read it. It is purely okay. It is not horrible. It is not heart racing. It is mediocrely okay.
Dawnstream
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took me a minute, but I laughed.
Susan Krafcheck
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Madison Young
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Eh
elle
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
the irony caught me off guard!!!!!!
Kaitlyn
Nov 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wasn't a large fan of the writing style. But that's simply my personal opinion ...more
Oceana
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is something about this story I just love. Forgiveness, friendship, and just a little bit of tragedy.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Mare
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Short story, enemies, surprising ending
I really liked it. There is something very proper and amazing in a short story that you will never find in a long novel.
paige

• The Gift of the Magi
  • The Monkey's Paw
  • The Body Snatcher
  • The Veldt
Hector Hugh Munro, better known by the pen name Saki, was born in Akyab, Burma (now known as Sittwe, Myanmar), was a British writer, whose witty and sometimes macabre stories satirized Edwardian society and culture. He is considered a master of the short story and is often compared to O. Henry and Dorothy Parker. His tales feature delicately drawn characters and finely judged narratives. "The Open ...more