Start by marking “The Boy I Am” as Want to Read:
The Boy I Am

The Boy I Am

They say we’re dangerous. But we’re not that different.

Jude is running out of time. Once a year, lucky young men in the House of Boys are auctioned to the female elite. But if Jude fails to be selected before he turns seventeen, a future deep underground in the mines awaits.

Published January 7th 2021 by Little Tiger Press Group

To ask other readers questions about The Boy I Am, please sign up.
Justine Simons
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Boy I Am
Marieke du Pré
My name is Jude Grant and I am alive.
Put this YA on your TBR, buy it! It’s mind blowing, unique, gripping and beautifully written. Swapping gender roles, the world turned upside down. Underage boys being sold to female elite at an auction. And if not, a future in the mines awaits.

Sometimes I start reading a book, doubting if I would like it. Like this one. But from the moment I read one page of The Boy I Am, I knew it would be a five star read, easily. It gripped me from the first sentence when
Laura (Bookie_mama_bear)
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5⭐️

⭐️ BLOG TOUR ⭐️
Thank you to @kaleidoscopictours @kl.kettle & @littletigerbooks for my copy of The Boy I Am as part of the blog tour.

⭐️ What’s it about?!

Yet ever since the death of his best friend at the hands of the all-powerful Chancellor, Jude has been desperate to escape
Kristel Greer
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of this book for review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.
Boys are born into indentured servitude. They are constantly told they need to be controlled due to their dangerous base nature, simple minds and lack of worth, while in fact it’s the women that sexually, physically and mentally abuse them. They are created solely to live in degradation and submission.

At 16, Jude Grant is in his final year of eligibility to be selected at Auction. This is his last chance to be chosen
scottiesandbooks
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“It’s not like it doesn’t happen to every boy. A grab here. A grope there. Small belittling moments we’re meant to endure, because it’s girls being girls. Shouldn’t we be grateful? Flattered? And when they don’t even know they did anything wrong, what? We’re meant to apologise?”

The Handmaids Tale
Noughts & Crosses
The Hunger games

What do these books have in common? The subject matter. Suppression. Suppression of women, a race, a class. All powerful novels set in a dystopian world. The messages are
C.G. Moore
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
K. L. Kettle flips the script in her debut, 'The Boy I Am'. Set in a matriarchal world, Kettle explores the social and cultural impacts on boys, mirroring the challenges and stigmas that women face in the day-to-day world. Exploring gender roles and ideas of friendship and abuse, Kettle exhibits first-class world-building and incredible character development, culminating in a nail-biting conclusion that will leave readers wanting more. Highly recommended. Add it to your TBR list now! ...more
Sara
Dec 17, 2020 marked it as to-review
ARC received in exchange for an honest review 🌠
Louise Gooding
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has been likened to a YA, gender swapped, Handmaids Tale, or The Power.
Well, it’s neither. It’s better. So so so much better.
Super grateful to be given an advance copy of this book so i can shout at you all to add it to your reading list!
K.L.Kettle looks set to storm into the YA world, especially with this as her debut.
Jo McKenna-Aspell
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I have three indicators of a really good book: I stay up far too late reading, I tell other people to read it so I can discuss it with someone and I have to take a break before I pick up a new book (AKA the book hangover). This hit all three.

I notice other reviewers commenting that “The Boy I Am” has much in common with Atwood’s “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Sure, I can see the obvious parallels often found in dystopian fiction but I feel it shares more with Alderman’s “The Power” or Blackman’s “Nough
Hazel
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Imagine a world where women are safe from men. Imagine a world where women are in charge. Imagine a world where men no longer reduce women to something to flirt with or dismiss as beneath them. This is the way of life in K. L. Kettle's dystopian novel The Boy I Am. War has left the Earth in ruins, and it is no longer safe to go outside, yet humanity is surviving in tall, secure tower blocks overseen by the Chancellor. Men and boys are confined to the basement floors as a punishment for their beh ...more
Chantelle Hazelden
Powerful, poignant, perfection.

That is how I'd describe The Boy I Am.

A world where women are in charge, where boys grow up as I guess slaves, under the watch of those women who hold all the cards.

But does that make it a better place to live?

Are they better off or are things no better than if men were to rule?

Jude (our main protagonist) isn't looking to change things, no he's look to save his friend but in the process he is destined to save so much more.

I was in awe of this story.

Unexpectedly eye
James
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Imagine the foggy air around you stank of sour eggs and your trousers were “splashed with veins of muck and dust” as you ran for dear life away from the Tower in the desert that kept you, locked and groomed by a power-hungry elite of masked women. Welcome to Jude’s dystopian world, a teenage boy bred by “Insem” in the House of Life, who is, like all the other Boys at the Auction, desperate to free himself of “debt” and become a man; perhaps to prove that he can control himself, and that to look ...more
Camilla Chester
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dark yet filled with hope, this was a thrilling (slightly exhausting) and intense ride.

I was happily flummoxed for the first few chapters but so intrigued to find out about this cruel world and how Jude fitted in with it all.

The story did lose me at times but the ending is richly satisfying, tying everything neatly together.

Really enjoyed it and definitely see it as a film. Reminded me of Mortal Engines at times - very fast paced.

Go read it!
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This is a really well thought and constructed story. It’s a dystopIan YA future where gender roles are swapped and it’s a matriarchal world. I like the role reversal in that the men face sexism, sexual assault, catcalls, all the things women face are turned on their head and it makes you realise as women how much is still accepted, how much are social norms still and really makes you think. It’s a gripping tale with lots of twists, it’s fast paced and hard to put down. I adored this book, a fabu ...more
Lisas Books, Gems and Tarot
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Little Tiger Books for this review copy!

Wow. This is such a moving, powerful story.

I loved Jude. My heart ached for him. I felt like he was so naive. He really didn’t know what to believe.

We are so used to reading stories where men are all powerful, but this time the women rule. It’s refreshing to read this from the male POV despite how awful the boys are treated.

I loved the relationships within the story, especially Jude’s friendship with Vik. He is full of anger that he lost his frie
Rachael Mills
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
A powerful and incisive exploration of sexism in a dystopian world where traditional gender roles are swapped. Incredible.

*** Full review to come ***
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The cover was the thing that first caught my attention, it instantly made me think of The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Attwood. Then the blurb made me think of The Lone City Series by Amy Ewing which as I adored this book had to go straight on my Want To/Must Read List!

The odd thing was as I began reading the book, the very thing that attracted me to it (it reminding me of The Lone City Series by Amy Ewing, but with the gender roles reversed) ended up making me feel put off by it.

The central char
Karen Barber
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for granting me access to this prior to publication. It’s an explosive read, forcing us to question the extent to which we would allow power to go unquestioned.
In this world boys are seen as dangerous and it is essential they are kept apart, given no power and kept subdued. They are not allowed to view the faces of the women who pay for their time, and if they are not bought at auction before the age of seventeen they are sent to the mines.
Our main character is Jude Grant, fa
Bee Jay
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This is a slow starter - which is strange, because it literally starts in the middle; it took a while before I really followed everything that was happening - but once I caught up with what was happening everything flew. There's a lot going on in this novel; I don't want to risk spoiling it, so I'll only talk quite generally about it.

Imagine Only Ever Yours from the other perspective; boys are the ones being bid on and subjugated and pushed down. It's a thin genre, needs a few more entries, but
Carolyn
Jan 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for review.
An interesting subversion of the 'Handmaid's Tale' formula, a dystopia where men are the property of women. By reversing the "traditional" gender roles, we are given more to think about regarding the conversation around the structures of power and their abuses. Well written and thought provoking.
Tony Brown
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
This just wasn't for me, but it was superbly written and very thought-provoking.

Jude Grant is running out of time. Every year, one lucky man from the House of Boys is auctioned to the female elite. Fail to be selected, and a future in the mines awaits. Ever since the death of his best friend, Vik, Jude is desperate to escape the path that has been set out for him. He finds himself in a plot to avenge his best friend, assassinate the Chancellor and win his freedom. But at what price?

The setting o
Becca
Feb 03, 2021 rated it liked it
‘The Boy I Am’ is a novel about a boy named Jude Grant, who lost his best friend, Viktor Perrault, at the hands of the Chancellor. He now plans to get revenge for what she did, and in order to murder her he must be sold to her during the auction. The story reminds me of ‘The Handmaids Tale’ but with reversed gender roles. The treatment of the boys is inhumane, meaning to shock us and make us believe it can’t be real, yet their experiences are ones that women have had to go through for centuries, ...more
K.L. L Kettle
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I may be biased, but I read this book several times and I think it's quite good. ...more
Lydia Hephzibah
DNF. not a bad book at all, just not for me
Lottie
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
The Boy I Am will still, without any doubt, be in my top 5 by the end of the year. I can't remember the last time I read a book that left me speechless, moved, uncomfortable, upset and also hopeful.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading but honestly this story blew me away. Told from Jude's POV across two timelines - past and present - The Boy I Am is a powerful, thought provoking and brilliant piece of work.

Jude might be an unreliable narrator, which we learn as we go through the
Caesara
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Have you read any dystopian novels lately?

Last week I was browsing through some posts on ig and stumbled upon this book.
What catched my attention was that the action takes place in world where women have the power and the boys are raised following strict rules of conduct with hope that someday they will be chosen to be wards for one of the wealthy women there.

The boy I am is the story of Jude. A boy who tries to find out the truth about his best friends fate, Vick.
The book is narrated in first p
Melissa Welliver
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A superb book for fans of Louise O’Neill’s Only Ever Yours. As a huge fan of dystopia I raced through this past paced book, and even recommended it for my book club! Jude’s heart-wrenching story stays with you far past the last pages and I want a sequel! Highly recommended.
Keka
3.5 Stars
TBHONEST
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Boy I Am is a fantastic and original read. Taut with tension, it's thought provoking and a book you will be telling all your friends to add to their to read lists. ...more
Josefa
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Boy I Am is a YA novel about Jude, a boy in The House of Boys. He needs to be selected by anyone from the female elite in an auction before he turns seventeen or he will be sent to the mines. He is determined to scape that life after he lost his best friend, what will it be the price to pay?

I really enjoyed this book, I struggled to put it down! It is dark and unsettling. It has been interesting to read a book where gender roles are swapped, women are usually the ones that have to put up wit
Lost_in_her_bookland
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐲 𝐈 𝐀𝐦 ⁣
⭐⭐⭐⭐⁣

This book just kept getting better and better, stranger and stranger, thrilling and more thrilling, until the ending, that left me complete.⁣

This is a YA dystopian power novel but so different to the ones we are used to. This gives the women the power & makes the boys and the men the submissives, without an ounce of control. Jude is about to be auctioned to the female elite, women so corrupt, all they can see is perfection in themselves. Jude is desperate for

• Last One to Die
  • Mina and the Undead
  • Love Is for Losers
  • We Played With Fire
  • A Crown of Talons (A Throne of Swans, #2)
  • The Girl Who...
  • The Girls I've Been
  • The Charmed Wife
  • Harrow Lake
  • The Sad Ghost Club
  • Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow
  • Dead Head (Sweetpea #3)
  • Good Girls Die First