Start by marking “One Way Home (Whispers of Grace, #2)” as Want to Read:
One Way Home (Whispers of Grace, #2)

One Way Home

(Whispers of Grace #2)

She’s hanging by a string—with only one chance left.

A recovering alcoholic and longtime widow, Sharon has struggled to build a new life. She’s made amends with her only daughter, Cassie, who’s been through a treacherous divorce. Cassie’s daughter, Renee, too young to understand her grandmother’s earlier mistakes, has become the light of Sharon’s life.

But Sharon can’t seem
Published November 1st 2020 by Mountain Brook Ink

To ask other readers questions about One Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Way Home

Start your review of One Way Home (Whispers of Grace, #2)
Randi Sampson
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
One Way Home is the second book in Melanie Campbell's Whispers of Grace series. While I think reading the first book will certainly help readers understand the relationship between mother and daughter much better, this could certainly be read as a stand alone as well. In One Way Home, we get an insight into Sharon's (Cassie's mother) point of view. As we know from the previous book, Sharon is a recovering alcoholic. This story follows her as she struggles with that addiction, and searches for an ...more
Phyllis
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A poignant example of grace!

Often, I love a story because I relate so well to the main character. Or, because they possess a trait that I wish I had. And the characters who are diametrically opposite to me are those I tend to dislike.

Sharon, the main character in One Way Home, is not much of anything like me. She struggles with ugly lifestyle choices including an addiction to alcohol and cigarettes, and she had done some despicable things while under the influence.

And, to make it worse, she was
Robin E. Mason
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I said it before (One Woman Falling, 11 March 2020) and I’ll say it again,
“OH MY HOLY HECK!!! THIS STORY YA’LL!!!
Ms. Campbell grabs the reader, jerks you into the story, and doesn’t let go.”
I don’t fight the battle Sharon does—alcoholism—but I know (and love) some who do. I also know what it is to struggle with invisible “difficulties.”
Once again, Ms. Campbell goes deep into the anguish and the constant battle Sharon faces. Daily. Moment by moment. The smallest things—or nothing—that can trigge
Kelly-Ann ~ Sassy Bookish Mama
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
One Way Home is the second book in the Whispers of Grace series. I did not read the first book and although I followed the story pretty well I think it would have beneficial to read the first one and understand a little more of the relationships in this story. In book one the reader learns that Sharon is a recovering alcoholic. This story follows her as she struggles with her addiction and trying to find answers about her family and her past. This one is told from her point of view.

Sharon is co
Christi
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mother/daughter relationships can be a challenge, especially when the roles are reversed, and the daughter is taking care of the mother while she faces the demons of her past, and struggles through sobriety. That's exactly where we find Sharon and Cassie.

In the first book of the Whisper of Grace series, we see Cassie's harrowing ordeal of leaving an abusive relationship, and her fight for a better life for her and her daughter, Renee. In One Way Home, this is Sharon's story and struggle, though
Heidi
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit, there was one plot line I really struggled with in this book, and in the hands of a less talented author I may have put it down. Melanie Campbell writes with such grace and kindness, lets be honest-- I wasn't going to put it down. A beautiful story of redemption, I look forward to the next book in the series.
Lisa's Reading
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is story is about Sharon. She lives with her daughter Cassie and granddaughter, Renee. Sharon has had a hard life and is struggling in her middle years. She works as a cleaning lady for a local hotel. She is also an alcoholic who struggles to stay sober.

Sharon speaks throughout the book and shares her inner-most feelings. She gives an honest look inside her mind and heart and it is troubled. The story begins with her on a quest to find her biological father. Her mother only told her this se
Suzie Waltner
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the second book of the Whispers of Grace series, Melanie Campbell once again takes a difficult subject (addiction) and weaves a story of forgiveness, grace, and love throughout.

While One Woman Falling told Cassie’s story, One Way Home is all about her mother. Sharon’s life has been rocky and after learning a secret her own mother held during a confession, she’s on a mission to find the father she never knew and answers she longs for.

This is not a light read. Campbell’s characters are faced wi
Emma Filbrun
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review-2020
This was a book unlike any I have ever read. It was not necessarily an easy read, because it's not easy to live in the mind of a recovering alcoholic, but very good. I was challenged with Sharon's struggles to be honest and vulnerable with the people in her life. She had kept secrets from her daughter; would their relationship be destroyed when she admitted them? Was there any way to break the cycle of keeping secrets, and keeping sins hidden, that had plagued her family for a few generations no ...more
Lori
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and sad story.
A story that will leave you feeing love, hope and redeemed all at once. A good story that will clense your heart at the same time and leave your heart feeling full all at once. I love stories like these!
I could relate to some of the things that were going on in this story.
The feeling of loss, betrayal and yet there is forgiveness also. That's the hard part. Too much pride will make ppl not see what the Lord wants them to.
This book I feel will grab your attention
Edward Arrington
I have to say that this was a rather difficult story to read. Please don’t take that the wrong way. I am speaking from the perspective of one who has never dealt with an addiction like Sharon was dealing with alcohol. Also, I never lived with a parent or anyone else who was dealing with it as Cassie did. I know Cassie worried almost constantly that something would happen to cause her mother to return to the bottle. The only thing keeping my heart from breaking for Sharon was knowing that this st ...more
Alyssa Roat
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moving, raw, and heartfelt. An absolutely beautiful book and worthy sequel to the first.
Martha
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tough topics seem to be a theme lately when it comes to books that I read. This one, the story of a recovering alcoholic seeking to belong will pull at your heart strings. Women's fiction at its finest, this book will make you see the backside of addiction as healing takes place. It is not sad, but is truthful. I would highly recommend you read book 1 previously.
Ann
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of emotions. It hooks you on the first page and doesn't let go. It has just the right amount of suspense and romance to keep you turning the pages to see what happens next. This is a beautifully written inspirational story that you don't want to miss.
Cyndi
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is totally different from the first book, in this one we are mostly in the head of Sharon, Cassie's mother. Sharon has had a lot of painful experiences that have influenced her life. She holds a lot of secrets, afraid that if Cassie knows them she will kick Sharon out of her home as well as her and Renee's life. There are a lot of emotions in this book that will pull at your heart strings, making you fall in love with the 3 main characters. Ms. Campbell has done a lot of research into ...more
Hannah Wigton
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and heartfelt sequel! I felt like I knew the individuals personally after reading. Definitely a must read for those who enjoy an inspirational novel.
Rebecca Wonenberg
Melanie Campbell
Sep 17, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Elena Siroshton
Janice
Nov 14, 2020
Carolyn Tye
Nov 16, 2020

• Watercolors (The Mosaic Collection)
  • The Love Note
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors)
  • Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • Simply West of Heaven (Ginnie West Adventures, #3)
  • Pieces of Granite (Coming Home #0)
  • Seasoned
  • Dangerous Deceptions: A Christian Romantic Suspense Boxed Set
  • Palmer Girl (The Historic Hotels Collection #2)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • The Sowing Season
  • Trouble Blows West (Ginnie West Adventures, #2)
  • The Great Divorce
  • Airborne
  • The Key to Love
  • Where Do They All Belong?
  • Dreams of My Heart (Reluctant Brides, #1)
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
Melanie Campbell is a member of Oregon Christian Writers and ACFW. She wrote her first story when she was eight-years-old and has been in love with the power of storytelling ever since. She is also passionate about social issues and holds a degree in Sociology from the University of Oregon, which she obtained during her stint as a single-mom. She’s now married and lives in Oregon’s beautiful Willa ...more

Whispers of Grace (2 books)
  • One Woman Falling (Whispers of Grace, #1)

News & Interviews