Start by marking “Sex Ed: A Guide for Adults” as Want to Read:
Sex Ed: A Guide for Adults

Sex Ed: A Guide for Adults

Written by sex educator and body-positivity advocate Ruby Rare, Sex Ed is the practical and fun guide to sex that you've always wanted - but never known how to ask for. This is the information you should have been taught at school: a no-holds-barred roadmap that covers everything from how the brain is the most important sex organ and how to communicate what you want to you ...more
Published October 29th 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sex Ed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex Ed

Start your review of Sex Ed: A Guide for Adults
Kareena
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this. Would definitely buy it for any adult looking to get to know themselves better. It’s definitely the kind of resource I wish I would’ve had as a newlywed. Plus the illustrations are beautiful and diverse.
Taylor
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I ran across Ruby Rare through Instagram and was intrigued enough to buy her book. I really loved it. In the introduction, Rare mentions that the phrase used most often in the book might be “it’s all OK!” It took me a day to realize the power of that to me. I’d heard “natural” and “normal” in sex ed before, but those are often defined by their contrasts (UNnatural and ABnormal).

It’s all OK! And that means I am OK. It meant a lot to feel that way while reading her book.
Anastasia
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Me esperaba un libro más científico, la información que se presenta en este libro es muy general, simple y básica. Son más bien consejos/LaTíaContándoteSuVida que hechos/datos, pero de todas formas he apreciado la intención de Ruby. También hubieron cosas que me irritaron (ej. "All the models and diagrams depict white men *yawn*"), entre otras cosas que sobraban.

Encontré las ilustraciones de Sofie y el formato manual muy original, pero si no hubiese sido por eso, este libro no sería muy diferent
Ashleigh (ash_and_books)
TW: this book does discuss sexual assault and rape

I loved this book and learned loads. Including a bit more on my sexuality. And thinking of sex as not just in a PIV context (penis in vagina) or the goal of sex is to have an orgasm (which it isn't). Tbh like most people, my sex education was absolutely rubbish, didn't talk about consent, pleasure for people with vulvas, solo sex, queer sex, sexuality (seriously there were minute bits on LGBTQ+ sex and my school only mentioned gay and lesbian), k
Fran
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It definitely models much more of what sex education should be aiming for. As it is intended for adults there are definitely elements that are missing but it was very interested and the tone was very non-judgemental and kind.

My biggest issue with this book is that often it felt like form over function. Lots of the pages are coloured which makes it very difficult to read, couple that with the small writing and you really need to be sat outside at the peak of s
Teresa
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t normally give books star ratings anymore, but this was a clear 5 stars for me. I’ve been following Ruby Rare on Instagram for a while now and am so excited she published her first book! This was so well done, from the structure of the book to the illustrations (love how explicit they were btw) to the content to the tone...all so good! It’s a great reference, but I also liked the little prompts to encourage self-reflection. I do wish there had been more prompts in the later chapters (seem ...more
Bloem
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book, if i had more of an explicit sexual education growing up as this book does, feeling more comfortable to discuss sex in a open and communicative way, maybe i wouldn’t have so much discomfort and shame surrounding sex that i do now. i also just love how all accepting this book is, ruby rare is such a joy to read <3 also the illustrations and colours are beautiful, it makes my heart happy. will definitely be coming back to this book whenever some shame or guilt rises up ...more
Kathryn
Jun 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
I can't decide if I liked this book or loved it. Either way, it was brilliantly insightful, inclusive and illustrated. It is absolutely a model in the right direction of how everyone should be educated about bodies, consent, sex and everything in between. ...more
Molly Teleman
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Läsvärd! Underhållande, skriven med en varm ton och många roliga och/eller kloka iakttagelser.
Abi Walton
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much!
Caroline Fosse
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is so important, everybody should read this imo.
Milk
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Even as someone who considers themselves thoroughly obsessed with sex and in many ways aligns with lots of the ways the author herself aligns - I still gained considerably from reading this book.

Not a lot of it was necessarily new to me but it felt good to be reminded of certain things and to sit and ruminate on some thoughts that sometimes are neglected in the general hustle and bustle of life.

It's a very easy read and I enjoyed the sections, layout and of course gorgeous illustrations. It sho
Jess
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written book. It is an intro, but still has a ton of great information, ideas and resources. Many of the resources are UK specific, but it's still helpful to find info and ideas of where to find the information in your our country.

I would love to see more in depth info about destigmatizing some aspects, but it's also pretty amazing to read a book that just holds you to a sex-positive standard from the outset.
The Little World of Liv
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, lgbtq
Honestly, I wish I’d had this book years ago when I was a teenager. The sex education I received at school was painfully abysmal, and my inner psychology nerd loves the scientific (yet accessible) nature of this book. I think anyone would gain something from reading this, and embracing Ruby’s attitude towards diversity and inclusion.
Kathryn Hamblin
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
1/26 - Incredibly open and honest book with beautiful illustrations. Includes tips on becoming a sex positive being, questions imploring you to think about how sex impacts your life and information suited to all people regardless of identity or preference. Will recommend to everyone and most likely refer back to multiple times!
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Approximately a million times more informative and useful than the abstinence-focused sex ed classes offered at my high school in the early-mid 2000s. Presented in a straightforward but caring way, this is a great primer on a range of sex-related topics from a queer perspective. Gorgeous illustrations too; I loved the representation of all genders, sexualities, shapes, sizes and more.
Anna
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, politics, print
This is what sex ed should look like. Speaking of looks, LOVED the illustration. This book‘s wit and love carries the explicit and occasionally delicate information more gracefully than I could have ever imagined. What a lovely, life- loving read.
Giulia Viaggi
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The content is extremely clear and simple. The illustrations are also very cute. I found this very informative and well-written. Ruby Rare is a great educator and her approach is very honest and yet direct. Highly recommended!
Daniel Hollands
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An interesting book overall. There's nothing too revolutionary in it (at least in my fairly liberal view), although I'd imagine it would be a shock to some - and it's exactly those some who need to read it. ...more
Zach Young
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m a little embarrassed by how much I didn’t know! So glad I found this book
Martha Mae
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeously illustrated book putting communication & diversity and the forefront of sex education. Also perhaps the best (and rudest?) coffee table book EVER!
Ruby S
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing
Abi
Mar 17, 2021 added it
Shelves: read-in-2021
Read this for my dissertation.

This was a very inclusive, intersectional read. I liked how diverse the bodies that were illustrated were, as well as the diverse array of topics that were handled.
Vibeke
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely AMAZING ❤️❤️❤️
Clarouille
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ugh I love this book! I wanna marry it! It's pink, it's shiny, it's nice to hold, it's sweet and full of positivity and so beautiful! I just love it 🧚🏽‍♀️ And also it has great advice ! ...more
Aimee Margott
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Learnt a lot more than in my sex ed classes at school.
Gabby Humphreys
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Let’s talk about sex babyyyy. No but seriously, if you’re mature enough to have sex you should also be mature enough to talk about it and actually communicate what you want. *sips tea* I enjoy talking and learning about sex far too much. It’s a known thing that I tell all my friends about my highs and lows in wanking. IMO there’s still expectations for us to be private and “ladylike” about these things, which I’m more than willing to try and break. Here Ruby Rare is giving you everything you nee ...more
Jodie
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Amazing Disgrace
  • Can We Talk About Consent?: A book about freedom, choices, and agreement
  • Kindred
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • In Their Shoes: Navigating Non-Binary Life
  • Women Don't Owe You Pretty
  • The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3)
  • Whites: On Race and Other Falsehoods
  • The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
  • Why I Am so Clever
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Anti-Racist Ally: An Introduction to Activism and Action