Start by marking “A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)

A Deal with the Elf King

(Married to Magic #1)

Perfect for fans of A Court of Thorns and Roses and Uprooted, this stand-alone, fantasy romance about a human girl and her marriage to the Elf King is impossible to put down!

The elves come for two things: war and wives. In both cases, they come for death.

Three-thousand years ago, humans were hunted by powerful races with wild magic until the treaty was formed. Now, for cen
Published November 6th 2020 by Silver Wing Press

To ask other readers questions about A Deal with the Elf King, please sign up.
Elise Kova I honestly had the hardest time shelfing this book. Personally, I think it sits right on the cusp of older YA and adult fantasy.

Luella, the heroine, i…more

Luella, the heroine, is 19 years old and is both independent, but naïve in other ways. While there is some "on screen" sex in this book, I don't think it's enough to satisfy what NA readers expect.

I would say this title is appropriate for anyone who reads and enjoys both YA and Adult and wants some steam (but not too much).(less)
Elise Kova Yes.

However due to production times, the audiobook usually comes out 3-4 months after the physical and digital editions. Unfortunately, covid is also causing added delays to approval times from retailers. So it's really hard to say when the audiobook will be out.(less)

Start your review of A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
Laura Thalassa
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my GOD was this good! Not that I'm surprised--Elise Kova can't write a bad book. This has a Hades and Persephone feel to it, but it's not a retelling--and the world Elise has created! I seriously hope there are more books to explore the rest of it! SO GOOD!!

***

I’m literally only on the second page of this one, and I can already tell you all: you need to read this. I’m getting excited chills. This one is setting up to be a phenomenal story.
Helena of Eretz ✰
- Hades & Persephone
- Beauty & the Beast
- elves & faeries

What more could you want??? 😉

This was such a FUN READ. Going into this, I didn’t expect to like it much. At first, the writing style didn’t appeal to me and nothing in particular stood out to me, but I’m so glad that I continued reading because BOY, WAS I WRONG! 😏 I ended up having a GRAND TIME with this!

Luella and Eldas have my heart and definitely snuck up on me. I thought that she’d be some average fiery heroine and he some average da
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
We're all thinking it

Lia Carstairs
Nothing hurts more than having one of your most anticipated reads by one your favourite authors be a huge disappointment.😥

I guess my streak of 4/5 stars had to end eventually.
But wow, why did 338 pages feel like 1000 pages???😓

I don't know. It might just be me but the whole time I was reading this, I felt absolutely nothing. I was honestly bored out of mind and considered marking this as 'DNF' many times, but I thought "Oh, maybe it'll get better....?"

Spoiler . . . It didn't

Also, one thing to kno
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
Hades & Persephone AND Beauty & the Beast?? Yes please ...more
Elise Kova
Nov 06, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Stealing this review space to add a note or two about the book...

This book was a passion project for me. It was my first book back writing again after being near burn-out. And I started drafting it at the beginning of quarantine in 2020. I wanted to write a world that I could escape into... where everything was wrapped up with a happily ever after at the end. It's my earnest hope that others can find an escape in the pages of Eldas and Luella.

Some housekeeping/Book FAQ...

You can see all retailer
L
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Am I expecting too much from a book these days? Or the books are just dull?

I mean, I expected an angsty, swoon worthy romance. I thought there's gonna be a lot of will they-won't they moment. I also expected a grumpy hero with a mysterious past (Yeah I'm that typical. Judge me)
But there was nothing in this book! Literally!!

The hero was boring and plain and more boring. There was literally no chemistry between the two MC.
Most of the time they are just talking and arguing over lame stuffs and t
Lucie V.
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
Well… I was expecting more from this book, but at the same time, I was ready to be a little disappointed because of all the 3 stars reviews.

“Some people can never be hidden; they are meant to be seen.”

The plot is quite straightforward and predictable. Eldas is the new Elf king and he needs to find his Human Queen because only her magic can keep their lands alive. He is dark and mysterious and of course, I liked him because I seem not to be able to resist dark brooding characters. I must admit
Mara YA Mood Reader
Elves, Faeries, Goblin Kings and arranged or forced marriage is what’s getting me through 2020 🙌🏼
CourtRocks'
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
Thank you so much to the author for sending me an ARC!

This book was just pure fun. It has all of the tropes I love, with Hades & Persephone vibes, and even a hint of Beauty and the Beast.

The world was fascinating, and I'm really excited to see more of it in later books (technically this is a standalone, but we'll be getting other books in this world with different characters!). The world includes almost every major type of magical creature you would want to see, and while we only got to touch o
mish ♡
The way I don't know how to write this review... I haven't written a 2-star review in sO long (not since Shatter Me, which btw I read two years ago). Also, I was going to rate this 3-stars but I realized how unfair that would be to the books I've read and rated 3 stars out of 5. So, what was this book's crime?

It's boring. BOOO-RING.
Book had me like:

And the thing is, the plot isn't even tremendously horrible or anything. It's obviously unoriginal, but so is a lot of the YA fantasy genre, and I st
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
<3 4-4,5 STARS <3

I really enjoyed this one, it was fast paced and captivating!Can you imagine this is my first book from Elise Kova??This was fantastic it has fantasy and a great romance!

Luella is a strong heroine, I loved her! Eldas stole my heart, he is so swoonworthy, sigh!I loved him and I liked how amazing he was!I loved the world built up.

I'm definitely going to read more books from this author!

✩ Yaz ✩
3.5 - ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

"You are my antithesis, Luella. You are the queen of life."
"And you are the king of death", I whisper, staring up into his frozen eyes.

A Deal with the Elf King is a standalone fantasy romance and a reminiscent of the tales of Beauty & the Beast and Hades and Persephone.

It's enchanting in the way that truly feels like a fairytale.

To add the cherry on top, it builds around a few favorite tropes: Arranged Marriage, Enemies-to-Lovers, Slow-burn Romance.

Nineteen year old Luella is a herb
rachaelreadwhat
Sep 13, 2020 marked it as i-need
ACOTAR!?
Laura Thalassa recommends!?
My curiosity is piqued.
I need more information!!!

a man saying

OMG. UPDATE. THERE’S A COVER AND A BLURB 😍
nivedha
2020 does not deserve a cover as beautiful as this <3 ...more
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
It was an ok read. I was expecting to love it but it fell flat for me. I just didn’t feel the chemistry between Eldas and Luella and don’t truly believe they are soulmates. Also this book kinda dragged for me so I skimmed through some parts that were repetitive and a little boring.
alana ♡
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5 stars

This most definitely did not live up to my expectations. If you're looking for a relatively simple standalone fantasy novel then this will probably work better for you than it did for me. But I spent majority of this book disappointed over the massive amount of potential it had and failed to deliver.
Paige ♠
I was really torn between a 3 and 4-star review so I'm going to go with a 3.5

Because this is a standalone, it didn't feel as "epic" as most high fantasy novels. There wasn't a "big bad guy" and there wasn't a crazy plot twist/cliffhanger at the end. Instead, it was a very easy and straightforward read with a HEA ending. This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, I just think it's good to set your expectations before you read.

CONS
🙎‍♀️ I reallyy tried, but I just couldn't connect with Luella as
Naia Pard
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Is it me? Should I stop reading fantasy YA? What is with this insipid trend that may or may not have started with the ACOTAR series? There is this whole stack of books that are playing the Persephone card by using fae folklore.

I would not mind this trend at all if it wouldn`t be so forced. Many authors that do not seem that keen on expanding and exploring such an universe seem to force themselves into writing it.

This book was the same as the others. Maybe that is why I chose it as my next rea
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
It was...good?

I have certain expectations when it comes to Elise Kova. I thought this would be a series where we see the heroine develop her powers and the king rule over his domain. This wasn't that. It was about two couples finding a way to make things work , which is cute but it wasn't what I was in the mood for.
♡Jacqueline♡ beautyliterate
3.5-4/5 stars

I really enjoyed this fantasy standalone!

ngl, the beautiful cover and undercover of this book definitely grabbed my attention but I picked it up for the description itself. as someone who loves Hades & Persephone, Beauty & the Beast, and elves & faeries AS WELL as a good standalone in a companion series I was here for it!

I think it did fall flat for me personally but overall I did enjoy the story and I am looking forward to seeing more in this companion series, since this was my fi
Laurie
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this charming, sexy, magical creative-retelling of the Hades/Persephone myth. Internet friends have been prodding me for months to read Elise Kova books and I'm so glad I gave in an ordered this little escapist gem (a standalone fantasy romance that was such a delightful, breezy read). Severe Elf-King Eldas makes for a sexily broody male love interest and plucky Luella, a magical herbal-healer, is a great foil for him when she's thrust into the role of his Human Queen and swept from her ho ...more
Hanna
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay, this was a bit of a mess to be honest. The story has a lot of up and downs. Firstly, I liked the whole life and death magic thing that was going on and in general the whole idea of balance in the book. But Luella was annoying me after some time. Like, we KNOW that you are herbalist and have a shop and you have a ~duty~ to your people. The amount of times that was repeated, it was really boring me. After a while it didn’t even seem convincing to me anymore, she really thought she was ~that~ ...more
Elle
I really wanted to like this, but I found it so boring. I should've just DNF'd, but I felt compelled to finish it.

Part of this could just be my fault, maybe I'm not that into (upper?)YA fantasy, anymore? But truly I feel like I can be captivated by anything if it's got a good plot, writing, characters, etc. This just left a lot to be desired and while I have no doubt lots of people will love it, it just didn't work for me at all.

I found the story very unoriginal, there was nothing unique or exci
Cindy ✩☽♔
Nov 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
The fact that this author and churn out so many full length, quality books in such a short amount of time amazes me. I can’t wait to start this one soon.
☾ jazmin
“To tomorrow.”
“What’s tomorrow?”
“Everything. May tomorrow hold every possibility. And may we be bold and hungry enough to take them for our own.”

As far as YA fantasy novels go, this was a pretty solid read, enjoyable although not quite as captivating as some other novels that follow a similar plot. With the whole Hades/Persephone and enemies-to-lovers thing I was a bit worried it would be too similar to ACOTAR and the Cursebreakers series but fortunately, there were quite a few key differenc
brenda ☾
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
~ 2,5 Stars

'A Deal with the Elf King' is a prime example for an average book.
From the plot to the characters everything was just average and rather bland.

Luella was chosen to marry the Elf King and become the new called 'Human Queen'.
I neither liked or disliked Luella and the Elf King (I forgot his name 😳). They were both okay characters, but their relationship was pretty boring. Their 'arguments' were kinda childish sometimes and it felt like primary school students were fighting.
I just missed
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
DNF at 37%

I've seen this book making the rounds and it peeked my interest. I'm sad to say that it just isn't holding my attention. It's a good story with a solid plot. There's nothing that's truly bad about it that would make me rage. Though the heroine isn't my favorite and neither is the all mighty king. It just isn't for me at this time. I just have to accept that before I force myself to finish this novel and end up hating it because I forced myself to finish it. It's a vicious cycle. What c
Alina
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked it, this was more about the couple getting along and finding their way to each other which I liked.
It's Safe and it is a fantasy novel, perfect for me!

• Kiss the Fae (Vicious Faeries, #1)
  • Tempting Hades: A Greek God Romance (Myths and Monsters Book 1)
  • Daimon (Covenant, #0.5)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • The Omen of Stones
  • Wait for You (Wait for You, #1)
  • Gilded Rose (Celestials, #1)
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • Torn (A Wicked Trilogy, #2)
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • The Traitor Queen (The Bridge Kingdom, #2)
  • Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • Court of Bitter Thorn (The Fae of Bitter Thorn, #1)
  • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
  • Crew (Crew, #1)
  • Cemetery Boys
Elise Kova is a USA Today bestselling author. In her past lives, she has graduated from an MBA program, lived in Japan for a bit, and worked for a Fortune 500 technology company. However, she finds herself much happier in her current reincarnation as full-time author. When not writing, she can usually be found playing video games, drawing, watching anime, or talking with readers on social media. S ...more

Married to Magic (2 books)
  • A Dance with the Fae Rogue (Married to Magic, #2)

News & Interviews