Jump to ratings and reviews

Winter's Magic #2

Winter's Maiden 2

The power to protect is also the power to corrupt.

When Alannah joined The Council of Mages, she expected an exciting life of fighting crime and ridding the world of evil. This could not have been further from the truth. Buried by bureaucracy, and bored out of her brains, Alannah is almost grateful when the Council’s spotlight shines on her hometown.

An illegal potion hits the Unseelie Market, and the source gets tracked back to Gaeilge Shores. Unfortunately, this case is a little too close to home and when Alannah learns the truth, she becomes trapped within the web of lies surrounding Brendan and herself.

Amidst all the deception, Alannah and Brendan find the path to the ultimate truth. How much are they willing to risk by uncovering the secrets of the magic world? And will working for a common cause be the catalyst that finally brings them together?

Note: This is the second of six main books in the Winter’s Magic series. It is advisable to start with Winter’s Maiden 1.

Warning: This book contains coarse language and explicit scenes, including depictions of sexual violence and minor BDSM that may upset or offend some readers. There is also a partial cliff-hanger for one of the characters, which is somewhat resolved in Winter’s Thrall (launching May 2022).

560 pages, Paperback

Published November 1, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

L. Starla

17 books229 followers
Find all of my links at: https://linktr.ee/L.Starla

This year (2022) Starla has three novels planned for publication: Winter's Thrall (Winter's Magic #2.5) in May; Undeniably Wrong (Phoebe Braddock Books #4) in August; and Winter's Mother 1 (Winter's Magic #3) in November.

A bookworm from a young age, Starla often raided her mother's shelves for any form of fiction she could get her hands on. Her first love was the horror genre and she was an avid fan of Stephen King as young as twelve.

But she owes her love affair with the romance novel to her high-school English teacher, who hooked her on the classics.

Given her earlier reading, magical realism and paranormal romance seemed like a natural progression. Along with steamy romance, these are her favourite genres to write.

She also loves spending her spare time playing table top and video games, paper crafting, singing, dancing, and watching anime.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (85%)
4 stars
1 (14%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews
Profile Image for Chey3995.
1,292 reviews43 followers
December 8, 2021
Alannah's life is full of lies and deceit when she uncovers a web of lies surrounding her hometown. But to truly uncover the truth, she needs to figure out how far she's willing to go to do so.

The second book has been a great addition, and continues with Lana's story. Her relationship with Brendon is getting stronger, and there is a lot of fun, steamy tension between the two. The story continues to get better and the next book can't come soon enough!

The author provided a copy. This is my honest review.
Profile Image for Crystal.
370 reviews33 followers
October 22, 2021
This continuation of Winters Maiden 1 was very intriguing, loved all the plot twists and turns. The romance on and off and on and off. I was kept guessing until the end of the book.
I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
I enjoyed reading this book mostly because a lot of action going on and you never know what's going to happen next.
I recommend this book and will read again.
Profile Image for L. Starla.
Author 17 books229 followers
Amazon AU
Kobo Nook
Universal Link

Winters Maiden 2

The power to protect is also the power to corrupt

Profile Image for Deborah Apodaca.
717 reviews15 followers
November 29, 2021
Alanna's studies have brought her far over the last few years since high school. She has accomplished her dream of being a clothes designer and has fine tuned her skills as a mage and earned a position on the Council of Mages to the dismay of the male members of the council in the Seat of Aester Mana, a rare atonement only blessed on the rare few conceived on Beltane.

Liam is also on the Council of Mages in the Seat of Elemental Mana and a Warlock. Brandan is a school counselor and a full Enchanter mage.

Alanna and Liam are planning their life together, but the jealousy between Liam and Brendan has gotten worse over the years and the brothers can barely tolerate each other. Brandan takes every opportunity that he can to rub the close relationship he has with Alanna in Liam's face.

When Allana is contacted with information about her birth father she agrees to meet, but only if she can bring a bodyguard since she has no idea how they even know about her search. She is shocked at who shows for meeting and even more shocked at their offer to train her in all the atonements.

I loved this book! This is book two in the Winter's Magic series and I have to give a few warnings for those with triggers: there are scenes of rape and torture and a cliffhanger.

Laelia Starla has taken me further into the depths of this amazing series of magic. Alanna has grown into a strong woman who is becoming a force in the mage world by easily accessing powers that take others years to grasp. Her love for both Liam and Brandan has grown even stronger over the years as has their jealousy of each other.

This book is action packed and steamy hot from beginning to end and the surprises just keep coming. I don't know how many times I wanted to strangle Liam and Brandan throughout this book with their major misconceptions and the heartache they caused. This book has several twists that will lead you on a path of danger, suspense and heartbreak.

I highly recommend this series, but hold on tight because there are major curves in this story. Can't wait for the next book in the series to see where Laelia will lead these characters next.
1,489 reviews28 followers
November 21, 2021
Warning: This book contains coarse language and explicit scenes, including depictions of sexual violence and minor BDSM that may upset or offend some readers. There is also a partial cliff-hanger for one of the characters, which is somewhat resolved in Winter’s Thrall (posted by Amazon) As a psychologist I felt that I needed to repost this warning.

I absolutely loved this novel. I had the opportunity to read the second novel right after completely the first. This gave me the opportunity to see just how the author connected the two. I must say this author was able to blend the novels together smoothly. Some relationships grew stronger and others grew apart. There some characters that I thought were “good” in the first novel, I discovered the evil inside in the second. I am trying to write any spoilers. Let me say that Starla is a gifted author and uses her skills to create strong well fleshed out characters. Her story line is well thought out, captures the reader at the very first page, and is able to hang onto the reader until the end. I highly recommend this novel and I will gladly read other novels by this author. I received a free copy of this book via BookFunnel and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Ariel.
164 reviews1 follower
October 31, 2021
I can’t seem to get enough of all the drama that surrounds Alannah’s life.

There was a lot of steamy tension, like A LOT! And I loved seeing Lana and Brendan grow closer but with so many insecurities and misunderstandings, heartbreak equalled the amount happiness throughout.
There was surprising truths revealed in this story that completely changed how I perceived some of the characters.
I can’t wait to see what the next books in this series reveals, especially with Brendan (because he is/was my favourite but now I’m on the fence???) and some of the new characters that were introduced.
Profile Image for Elli Morgan.
Author 1 book56 followers
May 2, 2022
At the beginning of Winter’s Maiden 2, Alannah has moved in with Liam, sews dresses for a living, and has a seat at the Council of Mages. Yet her heart secretly still years for Liam’s brother Brenden, and her life takes a more exciting turn when her dangerous and presumably dead grandmother Tara contacts her with information on her father’s identity.
After getting a potion book delivered by a demon, Brendan creates a magical drug, which quickly gains popularity in night clubs. But selling it at the unseelie market takes him down a dark path. At the same time, after years of shutting him out, Alannah lets him glimpse her lust for him. This time, he’ll fight for her.
Will the two of them finally get together?

The second book in the Winter’s Magic series takes us on a roller-coaster of emotions as we follow Alannah and Brendan on their journey through the magical world L. Starla has created.
I recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal romance with a mix of magic, spice, and relationship drama.
Profile Image for Debbie Pierce.
142 reviews1 follower
January 2, 2022
Books 1 and 2 take Allanah, Liam and Brendon from childhood to adults. When they were little they fell in love. Then Lana moved away until many years later when her life fell apart and she moved back in with her cousins. She discovers magic and the truth about her family. She is still in love with the boys and can't make a clear choice. That causes a lot of friction. There is sexual tension and a whole lot of danger in her new life. I really liked the story but am rooting for one brother over the other of course. I can't wait until the next part is out.
Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.