Start by marking “Well...THAT Was Awkward” as Want to Read:
Well...THAT Was Awkward

Well...THAT Was Awkward

Winner of the 2020 Best Indie Book Award for Romance!

Recipient of the IndieBRAG B.R.A.G. Medallion!

John and Em meet on the boardwalk as the moonlight dances off the Chesapeake Bay.

She thinks he’s gorgeous and comes down with a case of instalove.
He thinks she’s a panhandler and gives her five dollars.

The embarrassment is enough to send Em running for a life makeover. The on
Published October 27th 2020 by Advancing Wolf

To ask other readers questions about Well...THAT Was Awkward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well...THAT Was Awkward

Start your review of Well...THAT Was Awkward
Michelle Beginandendwithbooks
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Romance is not my favorite genre, but I wanted to read Well..That Was Awkward by Megan Montgomery because I follow @meganmontgomerywrites and find her to be funny and down-to-earth, so I figured her writing would reflect those qualities.

This book was gifted by the author—thank you.

(I took this photo of the book on a family heirloom antique secretary desk because Emerson, the main character, owns an antique shop and I loved reading about her refinishing projects.)

Pick up Well...That Was Awkward
Laura Jackson
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the debut book by author Megan Montgomery and I have to say I love love loved it.. I read a lot of dark romance so when a romcom or a lighter romance comes across my kindle I dive in...

Emerson is the quirky girl.. and I love her and her inner thoughts, she was cracking me up at times.l she reminds me a lot of myself with self doubt ...she sees things the way someone who has never been the “it” girl before sees them.. I can relate to her so much ..

When her friends set her up on a blin
Thuy Taylor
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Set in the Northeast in Chesapeake Bay, in a small town, Em has always been the odd, distinct, quirky but lovable girl. She hasn't had much luck in the dating world and she is a little critical of herself but starting to also love every part of her. But an awkward, surprising meet cute with fighter pilot, John throws her for a loop and the inner self doubt comes. Opposites attract, constantly being matched up together by the people in their small town, in her mind, she definitely thinks she don' ...more
Tess Shepherd
May 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I ADORED this indie romcom and now know why it won the BIBA award in its genre. The writing was fluid, the characterization and sense of place immaculate, and the plot succinct. Other reasons you should read this book:
1. An unapologetically genuine heroine who knows who she is.
2. Humor that makes you snort out loud.
3. HOT kitchen table sex...that doesn’t happen in a kitchen. Read the book for more.
4. A full tutorial on correct squat form (Seriously, I see you guys at the gym. You’re gonna hurt y
Angie
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the characters. Emerson is not your typical romantic heroine. She listens to metal, dresses in grungy clothes to work, and power lifts. She’s a badass who falls for the perfect guy - a fighter pilot. The characters, scene descriptions, and events in this book make you smile, sigh, and groan out loud. Great book!
Johnathon
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and the author.
Leslie
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was an enjoyable read! I liked the setting and the characters, much different from my "norm." Recommended!

Thank you for the signed copy (Goodreads giveaway).
Best Indie Book Award
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biba-winner
🏆 2020 BIBA® Romance Winner!
gj indieBRAG
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that WELL..THAT WAS AWKWARD by Megan Montgomery is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Mica Rae
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good! It’s the perfect romantic comedy. I love that the heroine is uniquely her adorkable self. You can’t help but root for Emerson to get her HEA. Plus, John is absolutely swoon worthy!
Thais • tata.lifepages •
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At Solomons island, in a small village, an unique antique shop owner lives a quiet life until love strikes unexpectedly! This romantic comedy was super fast paced and hilarious! I found myself laughing out loud!

Emerson is a young and smart woman, who at first isn't really worried about her image as she dresses as a rebel teenager. John is a handsome pilot, smart and polished. They bump into each other at a park, and I found myself blushing with second-hand embarrassment! He confuses her with a H
Tracie Slone
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Debut novel that definitely goes way from the stereotypical romance. The characters are easy to get to know and the romance takes a different direction and pace than other books in this genre. I enjoyed the small town setting and the pace of the plot and the secondary characters. Nicely done.
Samantha
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC from the author thru Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving my review. Emerson was a little different but well loved. She would like to find love but does not expect it to ever find her. When she runs into John, it was such an off the wall, laugh out loud situation. Friends have been trying to set them up, but after this, she is not having it. John has got to find some way to convince Em that he is the man for her. So her inner dialog, brain and heart all collide and she gets to ...more
Michaella Dieter
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well...THAT Was Awkward is the story of Emerson and John. Emerson is a small town girl, hoping for love and despairing of finding it. John, a Navy man, moves to that small town...and everyone and their dog tries to get them together. Can they work out their issues, prejudices and feelings before it's too late?

This is Megan Montgomery's debut novel, and I have to say, this lady has some talent! I would never have guessed that this wasn't written by an experienced novelist.

This story was well writ
J.
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a great debut rom-com by Megan Montgomery! I love a quirky heroine, and Emerson fit the bill. Weight lifting, antique selling Emerson meets Navy pilot John in a super awkward interaction. Their journey together as they get to know each other was funny and sweet and kept me turning the pages. The novel itself was well written and struck a nice balance between the romantic elements and the humor. Definitely check it out if you’re a fellow lover of romantic comedies!

I received an adva
Faith89
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, small-town
A cute rom com with a quirky heroine who lets her self doubt trip her up and a fighter pilot she feels couldn’t possibly like her. Their first meet starts the whole awkward cycle. What was funny to the reader was embarrassing for Em. John thought she was a down and out panhandler. While Em does all she can to avoid people here friends find ways to pull her out of her self isolation. The story is written from Em’s point of view so the reader gets to enjoy all her inner dialogue. Her emotional tug ...more
Sylvia K
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The characters as well as the little town is well written. Loved how the story slowly developed to its hea.

Helena Mendes
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story is a fresh take on love and dating. Em and John are great together, their first encounter is hilarious and it is a great introduction to their and her meddling small town story. Loved it.

Laurel
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. I thought it would be funny and romantic.

I like the author’s style of writing but I hated the main character so much.

She’s rude, inconsiderate, judgmental , insecure, selfish... I could go on. The author continually states how badass the main character is.....? Umm no. She never does anything badass. She puts the people around her down. She’s obsessed with herself, how she looks, how life has treated her! Even her supposed friends she is jealous of their happiness.
Jeremy Stewart
📚❤️𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗥𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄❤️📚
𝐓𝐢𝐭𝐥𝐞: 𝑊𝑒𝑙𝑙... 𝑇𝐻𝐴𝑇 𝑊𝑎𝑠 𝐴𝑤𝑘𝑤𝑎𝑟𝑑
𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫: 𝑀𝑒𝑔𝑎𝑛 𝑀𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑔𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑟𝑦
𝐍𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐟 𝐏𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐬: 324
𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐫𝐞: 𝑅𝑜𝑚𝑎𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑐 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑑𝑦
𝐏𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞: 10/27/2020
𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠: 📕📕📕📕📕

This is Megan's debut novel. I love the cover, as it depicts a woman that fits Em perfectly.

I absolutely loved this debut romantic comedy. We follow Em who is used to looking after everyone in her little town while forgetting how to take care of herself. I thought Em was a very well written character who is relatable to many people in the worl
Peaceful
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked my a review team to read this. I'm so glad I did. It's a small town romcom.

This book is awkwardly funny. Not haha funny but like really of course that would happen to them funny.

Em is an older single lady that over thinks to her down fall. She loves her small town and adores the elderly group she surrounds herself with. When she awkwardly meets John twice she can't seem to stay out of her way. Em is a witty and awkward joy.

I want to believe we all have a little Em in us and some o
Demi
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Debut Romantic Comedy by Megan Montgomery This book was heartfelt and humorous. A quirky girl and a “perfect” guy? Could that work? Why not? Everyone loves the thought of Emerson and John together except for Emerson. Set in the close knit town of Solomon’s Island in Southern Maryland the author describes the area with wonderful accuracy. You can all most smell the Old Bay.
Grace Cimilluca
Apr 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bev
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed!

This was a great book. I couldn't believe how funny and crazy this couple was. I mean the first time the guy meets the girl he gives her money. He thinks she's a homeless person. Can it get any worse? Read it to see.
Katie
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

I absolutely loved this book. It kept me laughing, with a little smidge of sniffling, and made me homesick for the Eastern Shore all at once. (Emerson may just be my new role model) I wish the rating system went higher so I could give it ten stars.
Apr 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow Burn success

I have never read this author before but am looking forward to reading more of her books. Delightful read with characters who blossom, learn and grow throughout the book.
Shaunna
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good debut

This was a great debut novel for an author, whom I hope continues to write lovely stories like this one. Yes, there's plenty of awkward moments, but there's so much more! Very heart warming, and a bit of steam too!
Vickie Lane
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. The characters were believable and gives hope to the “less than normal” ladies. It breaks down stereotypes which I LOVE.
DonnaMoltoBella
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Very awkward premise, indeed. But it worked. I had to see how it ended! These days,with my competing interests, that's a big deal!!! I quite enjoyed it. ...more
Brenda Linville
Feb 17, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• Steal My Magnolia (Love at First Sight, #3)
  • Stalk Her
  • Dolly
  • Daddy's Angel
  • I See You
  • Love Unexpected
  • Quarantined Lovers
  • Tangled Wires
  • Hot Stuff
  • Shadows Smolder (Wings of Darkness + Light, #2)
  • Kiss Kiss Fang Fang
  • Shadows Spark (Wings of Darkness + Light, #1)
  • Naughty Brits
  • Tides that Bind (Wicked Waves #2)
  • Shattered: A Dark Stalker Romance (The Dahlia District, #2)
  • Earn Your Extra Credit
  • The Jake Ryan Complex
  • Hiss (The Unmagic Trilogy, #1)
Megan writes happily-ever-afters for unlikeable female heroines, with an extra protein shake of humor.

Her debut novel, WELL . . . THAT WAS AWKWARD was inspired by her homesickness for southern Maryland. She now lives on the prairie with her husband, son, and mom.

When she’s not writing, reading, lifting weights, or cooking dinners her son won’t eat, you’ll find her in the garden or brewing potion

News & Interviews