Start by marking “Brat: An '80s Story” as Want to Read:
Brat: An '80s Story

Brat: An '80s Story

Most people know Andrew McCarthy from his movie roles in Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo's Fire, Weekend at Bernie's, and Less than Zero, and as a charter member of Hollywood's Brat Pack. That iconic group of ingenues and heartthrobs included Rob Lowe, Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, and Demi Moore, and has come to represent both a genre of film and an era of pop culture.

In his
Published May 11th 2021 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Brat, please sign up.
Jennifer ☕ Not very much. I believe his only John Hughes role was in Pretty in Pink. I would have loved if he'd gotten to know John better and worked with him mo…moreNot very much. I believe his only John Hughes role was in Pretty in Pink. I would have loved if he'd gotten to know John better and worked with him more. There's no telling what kinds of films would have been made as both Andrew and John are two of my favorites. (less)

Start your review of Brat: An '80s Story
Darlene
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What 80's kid didn't love the brat pack? This book will take you down memory lane while showing you a seedy behind-the-scenes look at all your favorites.

I grew up watching Andrew McCarthy and really loved hearing his story and that he came out all of it to a good place. I loved his sincerity and sense of humor.
Ti
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing

The Short of It:

This is probably the first time I’ve ever found myself completely enamored by a memoir.

The Rest of It:

Most people know who he is. Andrew McCarthy did many films, perhaps not all of them successful but films like Pretty in Pink, Mannequin, St. Elmo’s Fire and Weekend at Bernie’s were surprisingly successful and seemed to make him a household name. My favorite film Less Than Zero, is oddly enough, not McCarthy’s favorite by far. From the title, you would think that much of this boo
CYIReadBooks (Claire)
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
As a young adult, I admired Andrew McCarthy ever since his first movie, Class. I might have even had a crush on him at that time in the the 80’s. How can you not adore his boyish charm and good looks? So when I saw that McCarthy had a memoir, I just had to get my greedy little hands on an early copy. I was not disappointed.

McCarthy’s memoir is a glimpse into his early life and film career. As a late bloomer, he became painfully aware of his shortcomings. But, he managed to adapt and become succe
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
20515174

I have loved Andrew McCarthy since I was sixteen years old...I am now 54. When I saw Pretty in Pink I was definitely "Team Blane" or "Team McCarthy". Most of my friends all had a crush on James Spader but I wanted the guy with the boyish face and dark hair. It is always nice to know your "crush" is a decent human being and I was glad to learn this of McCarthy.

This is a well written memoir, I had no idea he was such a good writer...It is self-reflective, well articulated and not bi
Bridget
Mar 24, 2021 rated it did not like it
I think Andrew McCarthy may be too much of a gentleman to talk out of school about other actors whose paths he has crossed over the years. Unfortunately, that makes for a boring book. I always suspected that his aloof presence on screen came from a place of anxiety or a feeling of “not fitting in” and it seems that it was. So no news there either.
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at https://carolesrandomlife.com/

I enjoyed this book! I don’t usually read celebrity memoirs. In fact, this is the first celebrity memoir that I can remember reading even though I do occasionally pick up memoirs written by people who are not famous. I am not even sure why I was drawn to this one. I like Andrew McCarthy well enough but I wouldn’t call myself a big fan or anything. I am glad that I went with my instinct and gave this book a try.

This is a relatively sh
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
How good were the 80s? The music and the movies will never be as good as they were in the 80s.

One of my all time favourite movies is St Elmo’s Fire.. and amazing cast and a story that ai can watch over and over again. It was one of Andrew McCarthys first movies and I loved hearing stories about the set. Who did he get in with and who didn’t like him?

Brat is a a great walk down memory lane. I listen to this on audiobook in one day and I had to get the physical book as well for the pictures. And
Diane
May 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, hollywood
This was an entertaining memoir from actor Andrew McCarthy. Growing up in the 80s, I think I saw "St. Elmo's Fire" and "Pretty in Pink" about a zillion times. "Mannequin," "Less than Zero" and "Weekend at Bernie's" also were in heavy rotation on the movie channels, so I've watched those a lot, too.

I listened to this book on audio, which Andrew reads himself, and I enjoyed hearing his stories about how he got his start in acting and his early experiences in show business, plus his memories of fil
Samantha Fraenkel
I think I was expecting a lot more background and 'behind the scenes' moments from McCarthy's classic 80's movies then what was presented here.
McCarthy's is a great writer and while I enjoyed parts of this, I found the whole memoir felt rather forced, like this wasn't a story he was really wanting to tell. An interesting read but not one that I will be wanting to revisit down the road.

ARC Provided by Edelweiss
Kate
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 21-may, audio, 2021
Before reading this, I had forgotten that the Brat Pack moniker was originally not meant kindly, that the young actors from all those great 80s movies were labeled and judged by that title, until eventually it turned into something more nostalgic.

I was only 3 when the 80s started, and 13 when they ended, so I was never really old enough to enjoy the 80s as a teen or young adult, but I had older brothers, so the Brat Pack movies were part of my childhood. And no other Brat Packer won my heart li
Sherri Thacker
Jun 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Who did not love this guy in the 80’s??? I loved everything about him and every movie he was in! I had a poster of him in my bedroom - yes I did!! Loved him in Lipstick Jungle in 2008!! I devoured this in 1 afternoon and loved it!!
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
This was so good - he's a lovely writer, but you would have to expect it - he spent 15 years as a travel writer. He talks eloquently about a life of awkwardness, uncertainty and loneliness while making the movies that made him famous in the 80s. Very interesting to hear how he made no connection and had no lasting relationships with anyone he starred in those famous movies with.

Similar to Val Kilmer's I'm Your Huckleberry: A Memoir, McCarthy also describes in detail and across many pages his me
Justin Lahey
May 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Another Hollywood memoir from a member of the so-called Brat Pack. This one a little underwhelming. It may not be fair to compare Andrew McCarthy’s “Brat: An 80’s Story” to the two previous pack memoirs that I recently read, Demi Moore’s most excellent “Inside Out” and Rob Lowe’s stellar “Stories I Only Tell My Friends”. But if you are going to write a story about that era and you were a part of it, then you will inevitably be compared to them. It’s not a criticism of your life story, just the m ...more
Zoe
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Informative, interesting, and entertaining!

Brat: An ’80s Story is the honest, fascinating autobiography of Andrew McCarthy’s personal and professional successes, struggles, motivations, and accomplishments as a young actor in the early 1980s.

The writing is perceptive and genuine. And the novel is an introspective, compelling tale of one man’s life from a NY college student to the lights and fame of Hollywood in a time when high school movies aimed at teens would ultimately change pop culture for
Andrea
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Only die-hard Andrew McCarthy fans
Juliana
May 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
“And yet, among a certain generation of people, the work I did as a young man will forever burn brightest. And it’s not just the work: maybe now, more importantly, it is the memory of the work that’s so valuable to people. Because in the memory of those movies exists a touchstone of youth, of when life was all ahead, when the future was a blank slate, when anything was possible.”

BRAT is honest, insightful, nostalgic, and incredibly well-written. As part of the “certain subsect of people” who sti
Jun 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
An honest and vulnerable autobiography of a time that makes so many of us nostalgic, stigmas and all.
Kristy Holland
May 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Loved him in the 80s movies. This book was a fun read, could have been expanded in some areas, but good and well-written, reflective.
Mark
May 15, 2021 rated it liked it
For those of the 80's Andrew is universally recognised as one of the Brat Pack. Here he tells his story of how got to be a filmstar and the difficulties that fame and publicity created for him.

It's honest but typically vague. Those looking for juicy details of his lovelife may be disappointed, whilst others will discover that it is really another tale of how fame and success may not be all it is sometimes cracked up to be. It does give you an idea of what 80's Hollywood was like but it is more a
Chantal Côté
May 22, 2021 rated it liked it
I was a teen un the 80s so naturally, I absolutely loved the Brat Pack and I still own St-Elmo’s fire to this day. This book is essentially Andrew McCarthy relating his rise to fame and how he got to be chosen for his popular movies.

While a good writer, he does not reveal much about his co-stars or his romantic past. I liked McCarthy because he always looked so timid and vulnerable on screen. Finally, I think that is exactly his personality plus the fact that he did not hang around with the Brat
Anne
Jun 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fan

I read this as a fan of Andrew McCarthy. I loved Pretty in Pink and make my husband watch it with me and we've remained married 33 years. My other favorite was The Beniker Gang. The first movie we saw together was Some Kind of Wonderful so I was disappointed too learn he turned the part down in the role as my husband and I consider it "our movie". I learned a lot about Andrew McCarthy but I learned things about myself. I worked as a legal secretary/assistant most of my life and tried to make
Cindi Hanson
Jun 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-books
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Stars

I grew up in the 80’s and loved many of the movies Andrew McCarthy starred in throughout that time period, so I guess it was a no brainer that I would be interested in reading his story. I was not disappointed. I found his story to be honest and thought he showed a great deal of vulnerability by sharing his struggles with self-esteem, alcoholism and anxiety. I also thought he showed a great deal of respect to many of his fellow “brat packers” and never felt like he was trying to tr
Lilly
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021-fiftyfifty
Oh man, I really wanted to love this one! I wanted to hear all about the era, the people, the dynamics, and he just didn’t deliver. If he didn’t want to really take us into the era, I wish he’d just written what he wanted to: about his life after, his time directing, blah blah. He can string a sentence together nicely, but the heart was missing from this one completely.
lex
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
i'm so stoked this finally came out!! i've been waiting for it since july of last year & it definitely did not disappoint!!! 💛 ...more
Monica
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was better than I expected—such vivid writing about not only some of my very favorite movies, but a clear-headed account of a journey to sobriety, as well.
Tracy Finegan
Jun 08, 2021 rated it it was ok
The most boring biography I have ever read. No real details or information that mattered. My takes always-Andrew smoked pot, drank a lot and fell into acting and didn’t appreciate it.
Meredith Sepehri
May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Rather than the deep dive into 80’s young Hollywood I was expecting, this is a deep dive into the author’s 20’s. I found his humility and honestly about his fears, alcoholism, and actual (dis)connection to the Brat Pack very interesting.
Darcy
Andrew McCarthy is not one of my favorites of the "Brat Pack", but when this popped up on my library's website I thought it might be fun to listen to. But my god...I'm half way through, just at the start of his acting career and it's boring! So very boring that honestly I don't care to hear about the rest and how he ended up in the click that made him famous and all the antics (which is why I wanted to read this one). This one just isn't for me. ...more
Alex Gray (gray__pages)
I’m a huge fan of the 80’s Brat Pack movies and Andrew McCarthy, so I knew I’d love this one. It was such fun to listen to his stories from childhood and how he got into the business. He’s a terrific writer and I was very impressed.
Jennifer ☕
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bio-autobio
The most memorable moments of Andrew for me are when he starred in Pretty in Pink, Mannequin, St. Elmo's Fire and Weekend at Bernie's. I will never forget these movies. Andrew is definitely a heartthrob. I still have magazines from the 1980's and I'm pretty sure he's in some of them.
I appreciated being able to "see" into his life through this book. You never know what actors go through until they tell their stories. They are human beings just like us and can go through some real family junk jus

• Vera
  • The Plot
  • Mary Jane
  • A Rogue of One's Own (A League of Extraordinary Women, #2)
  • The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany
  • Moms Don't Have Time To: A Quarantine Anthology
  • Miss Benson's Beetle
  • The Once and Future Witches
  • Anchored Hearts
  • If You Are Lonely and You Know It (Currency)
Andrew McCarthy is a director, an award winning travel writer, and—of course—an actor. He made his professional début at 19 in Class, and has appeared in dozens of films, including such iconic movies as Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo’s Fire, Less Then Zero, and cult favorites Weekend At Bernie’s and Mannequin.

He has starred on Broadway and on television, most recently appearing in The Family, on ABC. Mc

Articles featuring this book

“The degree to which I was unable to control my energy while performing equaled the degree to which I was learning to hide my true reactions when I wasn’t.” 0 likes
“perceptions of uniqueness that are normal in children—qualities we learn to outgrow in adulthood—began to be reinforced and validated. The” 0 likes