Start by marking “Anne of Manhattan” as Want to Read:
Anne of Manhattan

Anne of Manhattan

L. M. Montgomery’s classic tale, Anne of Green Gables, gets a romantic, charming, and hilarious modern adaptation, set in New York City.

After an idyllic girlhood in Avonlea, Long Island, Anne has packed up her trunk, said goodbye to her foster parents, Marilla and Matthew, and moved to the isle of Manhattan for grad school. Together with her best friend, Diana Barry, she’s
Published June 1st 2021 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Manhattan, please sign up.
Catie No, I would not consider this a YA book. There is some explicit material and language not suitable for a school age group. If someone in college is in…moreNo, I would not consider this a YA book. There is some explicit material and language not suitable for a school age group. If someone in college is interested and likes more YA writing and tropes it's appropriate then, but note the above.(less)

Start your review of Anne of Manhattan
Mara
May 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-owned, arc
For whatever reason, this really hit the spot for me as a childhood enemies to lovers contemporary romance. This was exactly what it said on the tin: a contemporary romance retelling of Anne and Gilbert getting together. Here's the thing - if you don't want to read about Anne and Gilbert getting it on, this is not the book for you. However, I was 100% down for that, so this ended up having a real sweetness to me that the nostalgia vibes fueled. A perfect palette cleanser... this was super fun!

CW
steph
I tried friends. I really, really tried. But at 29%, I am calling it quits. I cannot take much more of this book.

Look, I love Anne Shirley. I am not going to pretend that I don't. I've read all the books, seen (most) of the movies and tv series. I love her relationship with Gilbert, Diana, Marilla and Matthew and the rest of the Avonlea gang. Book 3, in which Anne is away at college is one of my favorite of the series. I love seeing her figure out who she is away from Avonlea and from everything
Katie B
Anne of Manhattan is a modern day retelling of Anne of Green Gables. It's no small task to take on beloved characters like Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe and come up with your own spin but yet still keep true to the core of what made the original book so special. I think the author pulled it off and I had a blast reading this book centered around one of my favorite fictional couples of all time.

While this book can be read as a standalone, you'll probably get more out of the reading experience i
sil ♡ the book voyagers
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Me being a huge fan of Anne and Gilbert, I loved loved this new modern romance adaptation. I highly recommend everyone who loves them to read it, because you'll get so many emotions, the good kind, and relive all the things you love about these two.
" Anne, I've wanted you since before I knew what it was to want someone," Gil said, leaning forward to catch her gaze with his own. "Even when the only time you ever looked at me was when we were fighting, all I could see was you."

Anne is doing her Ma
Leslie
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advance-copy
Author Brina Starler has the writing chops to put together a pretty compelling plot with some quite beautiful writing, placing Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe and friends (yes, Anne of Green Gables) in 21st century New York. Avonlea is a community on Long Island, and Anne and Gilbert are graduate students in New York City, thrown together after several years apart when Gilbert enters the same program at the last minute.

It’s promising, for sure, especially given that there is a current rage for r
Jessica Jeffers
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, fiction
Anne of Green Gables was one of my favorites as a kid and I was really excited to learn that there was a modern-day adaptation coming out. This retelling imagines Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe as modern-day twentysomethings in Manhattan (here, Avonlea is a small town upstate that comes across as a Stars Hollow kind of place). Starler did a nice job updating the story into a contemporary one, but the actual plot itself is ultimately just very generic rom-com that doesn't really capture what it ...more
Carrie
Jan 03, 2021 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
I love Anne Shirley, she has been a favorite of mine since childhood. Anne of Green Gables is my go to book for recommendations. Anne is the character that if I could have a picnic with I would. So please oh please let this be a good book.
bee ʚïɞ
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
three point five stars! ❀ this book may or may not have inspired me to start watching ‘anne with an e’... anyways, i absolutely adored this book, even without having any prior knowledge to the original classic ‘anne of green gables’, and that’s something i was a bit worried about at first, tbh. but this was a very easy read; it was easy to fall into and understand, easy to love the characters and understand their dynamics and their histories, and i really appreciated that! i also really enjoyed ...more
Darlene
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was ok
DNF at 35%.

In this modern adaptation of Anne of Green Gables, a foster child grows up and leaves the loving home she finally landed in to go off to college in New York City. In grad school, she finds herself pushed into a thesis project with her middle school nemesis, who is now a hunky 20-something.

I gave this book far more pages than I normally do for a book that is just not grabbing me because it kept promising to get better. Ultimately, it never delivered on that promise. I found the protag
☆ sana ☆
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it
“we aren’t the same people we were when we met in eighth grade, or who we were when we last saw each other at the age of eighteen. i thought i knew who you were, because i spent so much time looking at you, and trying to figure out how to get you to look back at me. but it occurs to me that i missed a lot. i just want a chance to know you, anne.”

3.5 stars? 3.75 stars? i’m having trouble deciding how to rate this one. anyone who knows me knows that i’m a big shirbert fan. an adult modern anne of
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
I started out thinking this was outright charming, and then that it was charming-with-glaring-issues, and then that it was actively terrible. The terribleness arises from being both problematic and the poor job it makes of riffing off its origin material, Anne of Green Gables.

In terms of the latter, while the best chapters are undoubtedly the flashback sections that replay episodes of the original novel in a contemporary setting, there is a serious lack of follow-through in the present day love
Val
May 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
This book is a modern retelling of Anne of Green Gables. This story follows Anne as she is pursuing her Master’s degree in New York. She is still the spunky, fact-loving, smart and vivacious Anne I remember from my youth.

This story had more of a Romance vibe as she and her high school nemesis Gilbert reunite. There is angst, doubt, suspicion, heartbreak, tension and love.

“It felt like they were on the precipice of something important. Something they couldn’t come back from. That moment before a
Moon Love
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore L.M. Montgomery and Anne of Green Gables , the book series and the movies too. There's something about Anne's spirit and vivacity that just warms my heart. It's the joy she brings to those around her, brightening their lives, all unbeknownst to her. You'd think I would be apprehensive about a favorite bring retold in modern times, but I wasn't, not at all. Brina Starler has done a phenomenal job at taking the classic and making it anew for a new generation of readers.

I feel i
Katie
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was ok
It gives me absolutely no satisfaction to write this. I wanted this book to work with every fiber of my being. I’m a card-carrying member of the L.M. Montgomery fan club (I have the Emily of New Moon tattoo to prove it), and I’m an avid romance reader. At first blush, I was fully on board with a modernized Anne and Gil doing the dirty. Bring it on!!! But, to be frank, this book lacked a plot. Nothing quite…happens. To ANNE! Who is practically a magnet for the dramatic and disastrous! The stakes ...more
Hanh
May 18, 2021 rated it it was ok
Oh boy what a disappointment even though I was really gunning for this one and was willing to forgive a lot for effort. I'd love to hear how anyone not familiar with LM Montgomery's books thought about this novel.

Set in contemporary times, this "Anne of Green Gables" series update squashes the first 3 books ("Green Gables," "Avonlea," & "Island") into one rom-com so Anne Shirley and childhood nemesis Gilbert Blythe can get together. She's studying at New York's Redmond College when Gilbert tran
Jen (mrs-machino)
Jun 23, 2021 rated it liked it
This was fine, I enjoyed reading it - but it was just Anne of Green Gables fanfiction and I was hoping for something more, I guess. Not much character development or growth.
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
Thank you Silvana for telling me this existed. I stayed up til 4am reading and then woke up in the morning to finish the last 3rd of the book. I absolutely loved this.
Melissa Brown
Apr 13, 2021 rated it did not like it
I love Anne of Green Gables and all of the characters that come alive in the books and become a part of the readers own "kindred spirit" friend group. This portrayal, Anne of Manhattan, I did not like one bit.

In the modern re-telling, Anne lives with her best friend, Diana Barry in New York City, and is tackling her senior year of grad school when Gilbert Blythe transfers to Redmond College where their professor pairs them together for the final thesis project. Will these two life-long competit
Feb 23, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Writing a modern take on a beloved classic is a tall order, and this book falls quite short. There are so many possibilities and opportunities for fun modernization and takes on this story and these characters, but it seemed like the author was afraid to really go for it. The charm that made these characters loveable is missing. A disappointment.
Emily
I'm a serious Anne fan, as in I last read the series in 2017. These books are like mashed potatoes to me - wholesome and filling and like going home. When I saw this project was coming, my fingers were crossed so hard that it wouldn't suck — I'm thinking of Ana of California, which I found so deeply disappointing.

I was trying to remember something about the originals, and so pulled out my paperback copy of Anne of the Island, which I've owned since I was 12, and ended up reading the last 30 or
Ryan
Jun 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have been a longtime fan of Anne, probably because I too am an Anne with an e (middle name) while all my cousins with the family middle name don’t have that e. I’ve read the books, seen all the old movies (recently learned there were some newer ones), binged the Netflix series, and even read and watched every episode/book of the spinoff series Avonlee. I even dated a Gilbert Blythe look alike. So yeah, I’m a fan. I was excited to see a retelling since all my friends are Austinites. I finally h ...more
Katie Z
Jun 07, 2021 rated it liked it
This was very cute and, as a lifelong lover of Anne of Green Gables, I generally enjoyed this updated take.

The enemies-to-lovers story of Anne and Gilbert, the friendship between Anne and Diana (and Phil, which was exciting and surprising to see!), Matthew and Marilla still being present, nods to original clothing and locations… I loved how the author didn’t erase any of the story to make it belong in modern-day NYC, they just tweaked it to fit their vision.

Giving Anne of Manhattan 3 stars beca
Malia
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
I was so excited about this book and I'm very sad that it was such a letdown in so many ways.

First, I don't think this book captured the spirit of Anne at all. I wanted her to bear some resemblance to her childhood self--imaginative, whimsical, funny, spirited, prone to mishaps, and there just wasn't any of it. She was practical and boring and wore jeans. Wouldn't Anne of Manhattan wear something more interesting than jeans???

L.M. Montgomery is such a prose stylist, and I would expect more styli
Lynn Spencer
Jun 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Anne of Green Gables reimagined in the twenty-first century? Sign me up! I have read and reread L.M. Montgomery’s books several times over, and I was very curious to see how Anne of Manhattan would stand up. I follow the author on Twitter and her descriptions of the book caught my eye, as did the promise of more romance between Anne and Gilbert.

Brina Starler does a lot of things that work in this novel. Rather than trying to recreate an idyllic Prince Edward Island life, she moves her characters
Stephanie
DNF @ 28%. I've really been looking forward to this, but it didn't work for me at all. The characters were super unlikable and except for the names, didn't really resemble the original characters at all. I also was just really bored with it. This one was a disappointment. ...more
Lis
Jun 22, 2021 added it
I loved ANNE OF MANHATTAN.
Not because it was a perfect book but because it made Anne, Gilbert, Dianna, Matilda, Matthew feel as though they could be entirely whole people in today’s world + I would 100% hang out with them at the Kindred Spirits bar in Manhattan or visit the winery.
Samantha Tan
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
there’s something about academic rivals-to-lovers and tons of pining that makes me go FERALLLLLLLL
Anne Wolters
Apr 06, 2021 rated it liked it
Anne of Green Gables books were among my most favorite growing up. I was very eager to read this modern day version of the very same Anne Shirley who was an orphan and adopted by middle-aged siblings Matthew and Marilla, of Avonlea.

Anne is now grown up and heading back to Manhattan to finish her last year of grad school. What a surprise to find that Gilbert Blythe, had transferred from the University of California at Berkley to Redmond College, the very same school Anne attends. Gilbert, who go
Natalie Marshall
Apr 26, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
*I received an advance unedited copy of this book from Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, anyone who takes on a modern epilogue of Anne of Green Gables has some incredibly big shoes to fill. I loved the Anne books growing up and she's a cherished character from my childhood. So to see her thrust into modern times with cell phones and sex scenes was discombobulating to say the least. I honestly had to break that link mentally to even give this "new" character a fair sho
Brandi Morpurgo

• Mary Jane
  • Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family
  • Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close
  • The Soulmate Equation
  • A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Talk Bookish to Me
  • The Last Bookshop in London: A Novel of World War II
  • One Last Stop
  • #Blocked (A Social Media Love Story, #1)
  • Memorial
  • It Happened One Summer
  • The Times I Knew I Was Gay
  • If the Shoe Fits (Meant to Be, #1)
  • The Newcomer
  • The Wife Upstairs
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

'Tis the season of the beach read, that herald of summer sun and vacation vibes! Whether you're the type of reader who has very strict rules...