Start by marking “Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)” as Want to Read:
Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)

Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #011)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
International jewelry smuggling may be a man’s business, but beautiful Cay Morgan can hold her own with the best. Until the day a shadowy rival known only as The Trader has her abducted and scarred for life as a warning to stay out of his way.

Now Cay’s on her way to Mazatlan, where one of The Trader’s men has been spotted. There’s a big deal going down – but she’s not ther
Published July 1st 2005 by Hard Crime Case (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Branded Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Branded Woman

Dan Schwent
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hardcase, cool-covers
Catherine "Cay" Morgan travels to Mazatlan looking for The Trader, a jewel smuggler who carved a T into her forehead for dealing on his turf five years earlier. Cay is aided by PI George Hodd, and Walter Kilmer, a fisherman. In her quest for vengeance, Cay learns of a fortune in buried gold. Only nothing is as it seems...

First off, I almost liked this but there was definitely some blandness to it. While the plot was good, Cay was unsympathetic sometimes and I found it hard to care what happened
Josh
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Branded and humiliated by a jewel smuggling boss calling himself ‘The Trader’ five years ago, Cay Morgan, a femme fatale of sorts, travels to Mazatlan accompanied by a PI, in George Hodd, on a quest for vengeance.

From a blistering opening at the airport terminal of Mazatlan where Cay’s criminal prowess is recognised through a rather violent and highly entertaining encounter all the way to the bullet riddled conclusion, Wade Miller’s ‘Branded Women’ is all class. Written in the 1950’s, this pulp
Andy
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hot scarface blondes
Shelves: hard-case-crime
Sultry sexy blonde hit-woman goes to sunny Acapulco to get even with the creep that scarred her face. Great revenge actioner and erotically charged as well, I don’t think I’ve ever read a bad novel by Wade Miller. Another great find from Hard-on Case Crime.
Chris
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a good example of the 1950s crime-noir novels Hard Case is hell-bent on reprinting. Wade Miller was a pseudonym for Robert Wade and William Miller, who co-conspired for a number of excellent mystery novels back in the day. Their books are all pretty good, and Branded Woman is one of the best.

Cay Morgan elbowed her way into jewelry smuggling, a tough woman in a man’s world, and held her own for quite a while. That came to a crashing halt when one of her rivals, The Trader, had her abducte
Dave
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-case-crime
There never was a Wade Miller. The name is a pseudonym used by an amalgamation of two writers, Robert Wade and H Bill Miller. Together they wrote more than thirty novels under the names Whit Masterson and wade Miller. This amalgam of two writers is not to be confused with the Wade Miller who played for the Houston Astros and the Boston Red Sox.

In 1952, the writing duo published Branded Woman. It is a remarkable work and fairly engrossing. The one thing that does stand out about it is the main ch
Steven
I think there is a plot twist or wrinkle in every single chapter, sometimes more than one per chapter, and that keeps this novel in constant motion. Cay Morgan is a strong and resourceful character and to have a female protagonist in a 1952 crime novel who isn't a femme-fatale type was pretty special. Not a lot of memorable scenes, but plenty of action nonetheless and that made this a decent read.
Ken Schloman
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Written in 1952, the novel is a wonderful example of the pulp novel era and a good addition to the Hard Case Crime portfolio. While the novel may be closer to the noir character study genre it does blend many hardboiled elements. Protagonist is not the typical hardboiled private eye but rather a lead female who is not the traditional femme fatale of the genre. As with most of the pulp era novels, it is not great "literature" but does provide an entertaining read. Fans of the pulp era should give ...more
Christian Laforet
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Ah the 1950’s, what a great time. Everybody was smoking cigarettes, you could easily conceal a gun on a plane and even the strongest willed woman could be reduced to a weak-in-the-knees, emotional mess when a stern man puts her in her place. And that brings me to Hard Case Crime’s Branded Woman.

The story follows Cay Morgan, a woman who has been wronged by a mysterious fellow simply known as the Trader (dun dun dun!), and is now hell bent on getting revenge.

Before I continue, this book is set in
Craig Childs
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Many pulp novels begin with a strong compelling premise only to later fall apart under the weight of melodrama or their own implausibility. Branded Woman had the reverse problem. I found the premise to be weak from the outset. Cay Morgan used to be a smuggler until five years ago she ran afoul of another smuggler, a mysterious person only known as The Trader, who had her surreptitiously kidnapped, drugged, and branded with a “T” on her forehead. When the novel opens, Cay has been searching for T ...more
Graham P
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Cay Morgan is vengeful lust personified, with razor-ship instincts, looks to kill (platinum blonde, no less), and a bountiful bosom that no man's eyes can avoid. The writing team of Wade Miller churn out a fun, yet quite pedestrian, crime novel where revenge, sex, double-cross and murder all play their roles in equal parts. Set on the Mexican coast, Cay Morgan arrives in the small, seaside city to get revenge on the Trader. What did the Trader do? Well, he carved an T on her forehead with a buck ...more
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
There were a few big problems with this book. For one thing, the heroine was very unlikable. It was hard to sympathize with her, and hard to root for her. In books of this nature, you really need a heater an extremely likable character that you are rooting for or character that you really hate and who you hope will get their just desserts. Cay was neither – the author wanted us to sympathize with her, but I found it hard to. Even worse, her character was inconsistent – he starts of the book is a ...more
Chris
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it
The beginning of the novel keeps you thinking that the main character has nerves of steel, and it makes her a fairly interesting and vicious person to follow through the book.
In the middle segment, however, the character changes all of sudden into someone with more human emotions and weaknesses, seemingly willing to give up her entire plan for an emotional reason that would have seemed inconceivable in the beginning.
It does not so much ruin the book as make for an awkward couple of chapters whe
Ryan
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: justok
A case could be made for or against feminism in this book. The main characteristic a strong, independent woman who occasionally needs to be kept and controlled by a man. Anyway, this is a pulp novel and the author could not have written it for any other reason than to entertain. I have read a lot of classic crime books lately and this one only stands out because the protagonist is a woman. The plot is standard revenge and the only remarkable character, a cynical, pacifist detective, is killed ha ...more
Bria
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
"'You've got something else now. Me. I'm yours and you're mine. I've taken you over and I've taken over your debts. I'm not asking you to give up anything. But from now on, I pay the bills for both of us.'
...I've needed you always, her trembling form implored him, and even as she clasped him to her she thought joyously, I belong to somebody, at last I belong to somebody!"

Yes, that's right. That is what women want.
Pat
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
An unusual book. It starts well with an interesting premise and I liked the character of George who comes across more compelling than the lead.
The middle it falls apart under the weight of melodrama and the lead Cay goes from a strong woman to an utter sap which was almost cringe worthy.
The end starts to redeem itself but the middle is awful.
James  W. Powell
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
I wanted to like this book, but something just didn't click for me. The main character didn't feel quite right, I suppose. She was smart enough, but the balance between sexy and tough never felt quite right. It's a quick read with some good action and suspense, but it simply couldn't match some of the better stories reprinted in the Hard Case Crime line.
Dutch Southern
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
I don't even know if I finished this. Last thing I remember is the beautiful yet scarred assassin falls in love with a fisherman and he catches her in a hotel room with one of her targets and gets the wrong idea. Come to think of it this book is a lot like "Three's Company" but longer and without all the homophobia. Way to go alias Wade Miller.
Kenny
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Fine twists and surprises drive this plot focused novel. Characters are interesting and fleshed out, but the main character is, at times, an overwrought 1950's stereotype, but at others a hard-as-nails tough. Fine noir of revenge, double-crossing, and greed. Highly recommended, especially because of the one-more-page plot.
Bethany
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nice quick reading with a female protagonist who is, yes, unlikable, but still holds your attention. I especially liked the way it ended, since I thought it was going to fall into the damsel in distress vein, and yet it didn't.
Connie
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Of of the Hard Case Crime Series. This was a story about Cay and the Trader. She was branded on the forehead with a T and it is her persuit of the Trader to avenge what he did. It is a rather dark book, but was very hard to put down.
Patricia
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!
Harry Casey
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best crime "noir" novels I've ever read.
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
woman looks for man who branded her, to kill him
Jerry Peace
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Great beginning, slow middle but whoa, what an ending! Best lines: "'Don't worry,' said Boston. 'I know the voice of my carbine. Any other artillery speaks up, we'll be there, but fast.'"
Frank Byrns
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was ok

Just couldn't get into this one. Not bad, just found it uninteresting.
Greg
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Excellent read. Very fast paced. I recommend starting it in the morning. You may finish it in a day. The characters are engaging and the ending has an excellent twist.
Eric Daniels
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book had everything you'd want in a vintage hard-boiled detective story: betrayal, revenge, exotic locales, heists, murder... And a great ending. Hard Case Crime doing what they do best!
Glenn
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun but uneven south of the border tale of vengeance. Close to four stars except for the dragging middle section.
Joe Desmond
Jun 16, 2017
Tim
May 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Plunder of the Sun (Al Colby #2)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Witness to Myself (Hard Case Crime #19)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • The Wounded and the Slain (Hard Case Crime #31)
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Home Is the Sailor (Hard Case Crime #7)
  • The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)
  • Two for the Money  (Hard Case Crime #5)
  • Dutch Uncle (Hard Case Crime #12)
  • Blackmailer (Hard Case Crime #32)
  • Blood on the Mink (Hard Case Crime #106)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye (Hard Case Crime #8)
  • Baby Moll (Hard Case Crime #46)
  • Fade to Blonde (Hard Case Crime #2)
  • The Guns of Heaven (Hard Case Crime #24)
  • Honey in his Mouth (Hard Case Crime, #60)