Start by marking “Girl A” as Want to Read:
Girl A

Girl A

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  9,412 ratings  ·  1,371 reviews
For readers of Room and Sharp Objects, a propulsive and psychologically immersive novel about a young girl who escapes captivity--but not the secrets that shadow the rest of her life.

"'Girl A, ' she said. 'The girl who escaped. If anyone was going to make it, it was going to be you.'"

Published February 2nd 2021 by Viking (first published January 21st 2021)

To ask other readers questions about Girl A, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Catherine
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura Jayne There is obvious abuse and less obvious. I feel like certain instances of sexual abuse are implied but not explicitly stated in black and white and ar…moreThere is obvious abuse and less obvious. I feel like certain instances of sexual abuse are implied but not explicitly stated in black and white and are perhaps left up to the reader for interpretation. It would have rounded out parts of the story better if the author had been more specific, as difficult as that may have been to both write and read.(less)

·  9,412 ratings  ·  1,371 reviews

Start your review of Girl A
daph pink ♡
DNF@60%

Honestly I feel a little bit bad about DNF'ing this one, and seeing that many people have enjoyed it, I feel like I might just have commitment issues, but I promised myself that I wasn't going to do anything that I don't fully enjoy. What I read up to 60% wasn't bad, but I found myself skim reading through a lot of the inner monologues of the characters, and that's where I know it's bad for me.

Things this book made me feel:

•boredom because I thought it would be thriller sort of thing and
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking, remarkably intense, dark story of survivor girl who accomplished to escape from House of Horrors! Yes, he storyline already hooked me from the first chapter!

Get ready to read something shake you so hard! Your emotions will be everywhere as you witness the six children’s provocative, disturbing, extremely sad abuse, neglect story! This is one of the effective books will haunt you down and leave a permanent scar at your soul!

I have to admit this is not gripping mystery book. It’s a
Ceecee
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alexandra Gracie is Girl A, now a successful New York based lawyer at the age of 15 she escaped the ‘House of Horrors’ in England where she and her siblings suffered neglect and abuse.

This is an extremely well written multilayered debut which via Lexi’s narrative examines how characters survive childhood trauma in varying ways. It is absorbing and compelling reading and although it demonstrates the horrifying events of the children’s childhood at the hands of their parents it is never gratuitou
Elizabeth
Tl;dr: Girl A isn't an easy read, but it's one you absolutely should read. Yes, even now.

Girl A is an unflinching look at the long term effects of child abuse and it's an intense and well-written novel.

I've seen some comparisons of Girl A to Room but Girl A is much darker and less sentimental about family as Girl A dives deep into what it would be like to be an abused sibling from a house full of other abused siblings.

I think it's very easy to assume that when a sibling group in an abusive situa
jaime ⭐️
2021 reads: book 10/75

DNF'd at page 1oo.

this was just way too convoluted and i couldn't connect to the story at all. note to the author: if we're going to jump timelines (which is one of my all time favourite storytelling techniques) can we possibly not do that literally every other paragraph? i'm exhausted. hoping to pick this up again at a later date but not right now! i'm tired!

advanced readers copy kindly sent to me by harper collins new zealand

youtubetwitterinstagram
Lexi
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
Anyway, let's bring in a large cast of characters with complicated relationships, speak vaguely about literally every god damn thing, and not explain what's going on or bother introducing the characters at all. This writing style drove me crazy. ...more
Amanda
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lex and her siblings grew up in her parents house of horrors, she managed to escape and was known as “Child A the girl who survived”

When Lex’s mother dies in prison, she is asked to be the executor of her mother’s will, as she has left her their childhood home and £20,000 to be shared between her siblings.

Along with her sister Evie’s help, she wants to turn the house into something good but will need to get her other siblings to agree. Lex has to face the childhood that she had left behind and
Tammy
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lex, Girl A, is the survivor and savior of her siblings from their parents’ home where they were starved and incarcerated. We’ve all read accounts of these horrifying houses but what happens to these kids afterwards? And, how does something so shockingly abusive affect them as adults given that each child was clinically treated differently and raised in different homes? These questions are answered as Lex confronts her siblings with a plan to convert their inherited family home into a community ...more
Allison Krulik
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it
I ALMOST did not finish this book due to boredom and jumping around the timeline mid-chapter...but I am glad I didn't because the second half of the book was really good.
It is about a group of siblings who grew up tortured and abused. They are then separated into different adoptive families once the truth comes out about their biological mom/dad. We learn about each of the siblings, now grown, and how they have come along. They meet (most of them) again at the end to discuss some financial matt
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Girl A is another much hyped book and I was interested see how it would play out. It is a heartbreaking and disturbing read, focusing on a tough subject so it was never going to be hearts and flowers. It was a hard read at times but one that I am glad I have read.

This is the story of Girl A. Her real name is Lex and she survived the House of Horrors. She managed to escape from her parents and was separated from her siblings. Now she must reconnect with them in order to execute her mother’s will.
Dash fan
Unfortunately DNF this one tried really hard to read it. It was nothing to do with the subject matter, more to do with the style and how it went from past to present with no warning. Very confusing, just wasn't for me. ...more
Liz Barnsley
Girl A is beautifully written and has a fascinating central theme, as such it is likely to do very well and rightly so.

However I maybe wasnt as enamoured of it as a few advance readers who have come before me....subjectively speaking I enjoyed it without ever tipping over into the kind of bookish obsession that grips me.

The characters are well drawn and compelling for sure - the exploration of survival and resettlement after trauma is well done. After the first third though I didn't feel it offe
Fiona
It feels a little bit strange to call Girl A beautiful, even though it is, because on the surface this is very much still a book about a family that went the worst kind of wrong. The way Abigail Dean writes it though, it's much more than that.

I read this after reading an interview with the author, where she talked about her inspiration - "I saw the power of teenage girls to escape and be incredibly strong", she mentioned, after referencing the real world cases that factored in to the writing of
Sally Hepworth
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED. This will be a slam-dunk, sure fire bestseller.
Lu Etchells
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2020
Lex Gracie is the girl who finally managed to escape her family’s house of horrors, raise the alarm and end the torture for her siblings. The story unfolds through Lex’s eyes, as she returns to London, from New York, to deal with her now dead mother’s estate and all the old wounds that particular issue re-opens.

This is an interesting premise for a book; however, it really left me feeling cold.

I didn’t connect with Lex on any level; I just couldn’t warm to her, and even found it hard to have any
Roma
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
A heartbreaking psychological drama revolving around six siblings who suffered through a childhood of abuse at the hands of their parents and now, 15 years later are still struggling to come to terms with it. It's told from the point of view of Girl A (Lex), the one who escaped and brought an end to the house of horrors.

Lex is around 30 and a successful lawyer based in New York. The story starts when her mother dies in prison, leaving her children their childhood home where they were abused and
Dianne
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2021
I loved this beautifully crafted debut novel. I think it’s been mis-marketed as a thriller, but it’s a character-driven psychological drama about the survivors of an abusive “House of Horrors.” The story appears to be loosely based on the 2018 Turpin family saga, in which the parents chained, starved and abused their children until their 17 year old daughter was able to escape and summon help.

This book follows a very similar story arc, right down to the siblings on holiday in identical red tee s
Jayme
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Viking Penguin Books for the ARC of Girl A by Abigail Dean. I had the good fortune of participating in a Zoom interview with the author and publisher before reading this book.

Lex is Girl A, a survivor of the House of Horrors. When her mother dies in prison, she and her siblings inherit the family home. Consequently, she is forced to come to terms with what happened to herself and her siblings in that house long ago. She vows to turn the house into a community center i
Lisa of Troy
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Solid 4-star book.

Girl A was the one that got away. After years of abuse, Girl A escapes the House of Horror where she and her siblings were held. Dad didn't make it out alive, and Mum went to prison. Now, Mum has passed, and Girl A (also known as Lex) discovers that she is the executor of the will and The House of Horrors is part of the estate. Lex meets each of her siblings as she prepares the final fate of The House with flashback to their time in captivity.

A captivity story usually ends with
Basic B's Guide
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
When this showed up on my doorstep I jumped for joy. What an awesome surprise from the publisher. This sounded right up my alley. Perhaps I went in with too high of expectations but it just did not work for me.

I struggled to finish this book and almost dnf’d a few times. I set it down for a few days about midway through and that did help to make the last 150 pages less of a struggle.

Chapters are very long with timeframes shifting by paragraph. This often threw me off and also made the pacing see
Gumble's Yard
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
This is a taut psychological thriller – which I listened to in Audiobook, an Audiobook which is brilliantly narrated by the (unknown to me) actress Holly Grainger – who I think perfectly captures the defensive shield of cynicism that the first person narrator hides behind – a shield designed as much to fend off her inner demons as the outside world, but which is much more effective with the latter than the former.

The story is (or I think will be – this book is already topping various national be
Vanessa Menezes
Lex Gracie doesn’t want to think about her family. She doesn’t want to think about growing up in her parents’ House of Horrors. And she doesn’t want to think about her identity as Girl A: the girl who escaped.

When her mother dies in prison and leaves Lex and her siblings the family home, she can’t run from her past any longer. Together with her sister, Evie, Lex intends to turn the House of Horrors into a force for good. But first she must come to terms with her six siblings – and with the child
megs_bookrack
I don't want to say the BOTM picks are up, but...

Terri
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fiction
A very dark, upsetting novel of a young girl and the horrific abuse that she and her siblings suffered at the hands of their parents. The book is exceptionally well-written and does not feel exploitive in the least but it is not meant for everyone. The author writes of the damaging loss of trust between the sisters and brothers and how each of them survived in their own way.

The outsiders involved with the family can't comprehend what is really going on with the children and the young girl is fo
Louise Wilson
*** Trigger Warning *** There's some Sexual, Emotional and Physical Abuse covered in this story.

Lex Gracie doesn't want to think about her family. She doesn't want to think about growing up in hr parents' House of Horrors. She doesn't want to think of her identy as Girl A: the girl who escaped when her mother died in prison and leaves Lex and her siblings the family home, she can't run from her past any longer. Toghther with her sister Evie, Lex intends to turn the House of Horrors into a force
Suzanne
Dec 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry I didn’t get this book at all and also don’t understand the high reviews it’s received. It’s a desperately sad theme of an abused family who escaped their fate, and their lives afterwards. Described akin to Room etc so I had high hopes. But meandering, going nowhere, and at times unnecessary vile language. I’m no prude, but this made me feel ill at times. I just wasn’t interested in finding out what happened. It all killed it for me and I did not finish it. It was quite the worst book I ha ...more
Brittney Rae
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
Can someone please tell me what happened? Very few things were clear but everything was depressing. This is not a thriller. 2.5
Jo Spain
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. A sensitively written portrayal of a traumatic subject. My only gripe; it's being marketed as a thriller/crime fiction and that's a stretch. It does have a twist or two, but it's more a drama than crime novel and I was a little disappointed when I realised whatever I was waiting for to happen, would not be happening. That took away from it slightly but through no fault of the author or the book. Highly recommended read. ...more
Authentikate
Sometimes you just want an apple...

It’s a difficult position as a reader and reviewer to be forced to parse a book, separate the book itself —as it lands in my hands and hits my eyes, rolls around my brain—from the promotion, hype and marketing plan.

That said, I will try.

As a thriller, as this book was marketed, it gets ONE STAR. That is to say, it wasn’t thrilling in the slightest and the intrigue was bland to the point of non-existence. The only pay off came at the very end and it was such a
Schizanthus Nerd
There are things that your body doesn’t allow you to forget.
The seven Gracie children are known in the media as Boys A to D and Girls A to C. Lex, our main character, is Girl A.
‘Girl A,’ she said. ‘The girl who escaped. If anybody was going to make it, it was going to be you.’
We join Lex’s story when she learns her mother, who recently died in prison, made Lex the executor of her will. It’s now up to Lex, in consultation with her siblings, to figure out what to do with the House of Horror
Book of The Month: Girl A *Spoiler Discussion 10 85 Feb 22, 2021 08:24AM

• A Fire Sparkling
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • In an Instant
  • You (You, #1)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Perfect Child
  • The Storyteller
  • The Fear Zone
  • Rooftops of Tehran
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Once
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Ranjeni orao

Articles featuring this book

“You can endure an awful lot when you know that you'll be fed at the end of it.” 1 likes
“To them, the past was a sickness which my siblings still carried; you could catch it from a conversation.” 0 likes