Jump to ratings and reviews

97 Ways to Make a Dog Smile

It really works! Lower Ear Noogies. The Thumper. Lazy Man's Tetherball. Bobbing for Treats. The Hansel and Gretel: for an afternoon of fun, scamper about the house leaving a trail of plain popped popcorn in your wake.

97 Ways to Make a Dog Smile is a gift of pure pleasure for dogs and the owners who love them. Created by Jenny Langbehn, a veterinary nurse who really knows what makes dogs happy, it combines the creative gift of touch--unexpected ways to rub, massage, scratch, tickle, and knead--with imaginative play scenarios that are just loopy enough to ensure that your dog will be amused, whether he's laughing with you or at you. And to heighten the pleasure of both reader and dog, adorable full-color photographs of smiling dogs accompany each entry. Just look at those dogs (you might say), what a tail-wagging, chop-licking, howling good time they're having. And see if your dog doesn't agree.

112 pages, Paperback

2 books2 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 48 reviews
Profile Image for Gina.
275 reviews7 followers
March 25, 2020
The whole book is adorable, but the best may be the model profiles at the end.
99 reviews8 followers
January 3, 2015
Cute little book, but it's more about cute pictures of smiling dogs than anything remotely useful.
Profile Image for Jerecho.
383 reviews48 followers
August 31, 2018
Nice pictures of smiling dogs and that's it... Do you want to try the tricks??? Come on.... 🐶🐶🐶
Profile Image for Ninbooklover .
226 reviews10 followers
August 7, 2021
Loved this book. All the models are cute and beautiful and the 97 tricks are useful for people who just have a new puppy or are getting a new dog for the first time.

Most of these tricks I think all dog owners already done these and still do these tricks. I sure do alot of these tricks with my dog.

This book is a light read and just fun to read.
Profile Image for Jas.
417 reviews7 followers
December 28, 2018
I had gotten this book a few months ago thinking it would help me make things more fun for our dog Rocky. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye recently. Reading through the book I remembered some of the things Rocky loved best, like popping bubbles when I blew them for him. And the little bios for each of the dogs featured with the tips reminded me of some of his quirky personality as well. Overall this is a cute little book. Dogs are precious and we should do whatever we can to show them lots of love.
Profile Image for Harold Cameron.
142 reviews16 followers
November 25, 2012
“About 97 Ways to Make a Dog Smile

Try In a Nutshell, the classic sleight-of-hand game, by hiding a treat under one of three plastic cups. The Lawrence Welk--dogs love to chase soap bubbles even more than toddlers do. Get fit while playing. Or use Subliminal Advertising, which works by sneaking a favorite word like cookie into an otherwise boring rant. You'll be surprised by how closely your dog pays attention to what you say, and how broad the smile will be when he hears that special word. Just be sure to have said cookie on hand.” (From the Workman Publishing Company Website)

About Jenny Langbehn
Jenny Langbehn is a veterinary nurse and the resident dog whisperer at Lenox Hill Vets in Manhattan. She lives with her own smiling dog nearby.

My thoughts about the book: First of all and most importantly I am an animal lover. I love cats. I love dogs. I’m not a big fan of pet snakes or piranhas though, but that is just a personal preference mind you. So, when I saw the book 97 ways to make a Dog Smile I had to check it out and I am glad I did. A gorgeous full-color picture accompanies each of the 97 different ways you can make a dog smile. And the funny thing about it is you will probably smile as much as the dog, if not more, at their reactions to any one of the 97 ways mentioned in the book when you try them out on your dog.

I think the book is pretty cool and being a dog lover myself I enjoyed both the pictures and the 97 ways. Now all I have to do is get a dog of my own to try them out on…and won’t that be fun? So if you have beaten me to the punch and you have a dog and you want to make him or her smile while having a blast yourself…get the book. That’s all I got to say…is buy the book. Oh, and by the way, it would make a great Christmas gift for a family member or a friend who has a dog and it will fit nicely into a stocking. If you do get the book I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and do.
Profile Image for Ladiibbug.
1,547 reviews61 followers
March 9, 2015
Non-Fiction

Originally Read 5 years ago
Second Read 2/27/15

Dog lovers will get a big smile and the warm fuzzies while reading this short but heartwarming book.

Each of the 97 ways comes with a picture of a different dog, from the teeny-tiny Chihuahua to a Rhodesian Ridgeback. At the end of the book, each dog's gets a short bio (breed, age, and a tidbit about that particular dog, i.e., best friend is the family cat).

My favorite tips:

* #41 Hot Dogs
Rub your pooch down with a cool, wet towel. Relief without the shock! Pay special attention to your dog's ears and feet. Cooling these hot spots in particular will guarantee canine comfort. Ahhhh!!!!

* #49 Wax On, Wax Off
For our Zen pooches, a methodical series of circular massage can induce a meditative state that brings doggie serenity!

*#86 Bowl-O-Rama
Line up your dog's toys (stuffed animals work best) into a pyramid arrangement like bowling pins. Then roll a ball into it, scattering the toys about. Watch your dog decide which of his toys to rescue first.
Profile Image for Jan Polep.
695 reviews4 followers
March 20, 2012
This tiny 107 page book will make you smile while teaching you how to make a dog smile. The 97 ways get a little goofy and a little repetitive but biographies of the doggie models used in the book redeem the whole thing. Think I'll read it again.
Profile Image for Joanna Folger.
27 reviews2 followers
January 2, 2023
This is adorable. I randomly pick one every now and again to do on our dog. He loves it. Tonight’s was to find all his cow licks and trace his fur swirls with a finger. I don’t know about smiling, but it definitely relaxed him until he was snoring! Next up is to watch a documentary about wolves with him. Can’t wait!

This is a sweet, fun book. Highly recommend.
Profile Image for Sarah.
213 reviews
October 12, 2017
Super fun book with the cutest pictures of smiling dogs. The ideas to make your dog smile are sweet and practical. We have tried out lots that my dog loves and still want to try more of the ways. Easy book to flip through to make you (and your dog) smile.
Profile Image for Shirley.
472 reviews38 followers
May 5, 2018
What a cute book! It would make a great gift. I can’t wait to try some of the techniques to make my Golden Retriever smile. It’s the least I can do for this fellow who is such a master at making me smile.
11 reviews
June 15, 2018
This was interesting to read, but I felt like it was less of the things I wanted in this book. It was more just a list of random things to do, which you can easily find better activities online for free.
Profile Image for Sienna.
727 reviews10 followers
October 25, 2017
Delightful! Picked up this book while spending time with a friend's dog. I know my old pup loved many of these tricks. Even without him, the book made me smile.
Profile Image for Shazza Maddog.
986 reviews3 followers
May 28, 2018
Cute book. The pictures are lovely and the 97 ideas, while some what repetitive, are actually fun to try with your dogs.
Profile Image for Kelle Fathers.
6 reviews1 follower
August 4, 2018
Some good ideas on how to make your dog smile (or at least make him happy)--and you gotta love puppy pictures!
9 reviews
June 15, 2021
Even though I have tried all of them in the book I still give my dog the treat ferry one.
Profile Image for Julie.
1,864 reviews38 followers
March 12, 2012
This book certainly made a few humans smile. It was too much fun not to share! I confess, the "Inner-Ear Noogies" grossed me out a little. I had to laugh when a friend confided that she delights her dog with them regularly! I like the idea of a "Bring Your Dog to Work Day" & the bio's of each doggie model at the end of the book were fun.
Profile Image for Jennifer Priester.
Author 18 books40 followers
January 8, 2013
This book really works! My dog enjoyed almost all of the things this book says makes dogs smile! Before reading this book I knew several of these ways, but found several others that I didn't know about and had a lot of fun trying them out with my dog! If you have a dog and are looking for new ways to make him/her smile this book is perfect! The book is also entertaining just to read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 48 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.