Start by marking “The Matriarch (Women of the Dust #1)” as Want to Read:
The Matriarch (Women of the Dust #1)

The Matriarch

(Women of the Dust #1)

Her citizens are oppressed. His society is diminishing. In a frantic bid for survival, can their fiery union save their peoples?
On a scorched and barren future Earth, Yolanda is her people’s only hope. As Matriarch of an all-female nation, the battle-hardened commander fights an impossible war while desperately seeking a way to stop her subjects from dying of thirst. But w
Published October 12th 2020 by AKM Publishing Pty Ltd (first published October 1st 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Matriarch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matriarch

Start your review of The Matriarch (Women of the Dust #1)
Marta Cox
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A dystopian view of a world divided into tribes or perhaps small nations. The main character Yolanda is the Matriarch of the Horde who are strong female warriors. She gets the opportunity to meet the King of her neighbouring nation who she's fighting a vicious war with but to her surprise his son the Hammer beheads him and offers her not just his father's head but a chance to save her people from thirst and ultimately death.
I liked the ideas behind this although will admit there's very little wo
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Women of the Dust #1
Rating: 3 stars - it was good

One Sentence Summary: In a post-apocalyptic world, Yolanda -- The Matriarch -- leads her Horde of women as they battle a neighboring nation, but it all changes when the Hammer kills his father and offers an alliance to Yolanda.

So I'm a bit conflicted with The Matriarch, I personally had a lot of issues with the writing style and pacing but I do believe this book would work very well for other readers. In terms of what I liked, the world bu
TinaMarie
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites, recommend
Briar Wright
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a world I've thought about many times...a world run by women. And what better way than a story set in a dystopian world too. I really felt for the main character, Yolanda. When you've lived your life one way, and would do anything to save the people you love, you'd give your soul for them, even if it meant making unpopular and harsh calls. But then to come across The Hammer. *shivers*
All of the emotions he brings to life inside her. And, of course, the internal struggle of wanting to tr
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Are you looking for a romance book that isn't so heavy on the romance? Something about a world so far in the future that where The Matriarch and her Hoard lives, all there is, is dust? What about a book that shows no matter what happens you still have to be strong? Than this is something you might want to check out. Though I do think as an adult, I'm too immature to read real romance books, this wasn't so hot and heavy, and more focused on the actual story, and that's what I really enjoyed about ...more
Cassie Laelyn
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Once again, Annabelle McInnes has created a gritty and shocking dystopian world that totally blew me away. The Matriarch is a gripping story of longing, survival, raw emotion, and empowerment. I can't wait to read more from the Women of the Dust.
Tanya Nellestein
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really didn’t see all the twists coming! Always refreshing to be surprised. And so many threads left to be explored and questions to be answered in the rest of the series.
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I received this ARC from AKM Publishing Pty Ltd via Netgalley with thanks in return for an unbiased review.

"If we lose this war, we lose our independence, our sovereignty and the prospect of a safe future for every woman left on the planet."

Okay! Hello dear ones, this book is set to be published on October 12th 2020!

When I saw a book like this being written by an Australian author, I was SO excited as an Aussie reader because I have hardly encountered anyone writing a cool woman-ist centere
Minna
Thank you firstly to NetGalley, to Ms. McInnes and to AKM Publishing Pty Ltd for the opportunity to read an ARC of this title. An honest review was requested although not required.

This book was a RIDE. I came into it expecting a sort of feminist Mad Max situation and frankly that's more or less accurate. Between the author's Australian nationality and the Mad Max vibes I also really envisioned this taking place in a post-nuclear apocalypse Australian landscape.

I've seen plenty of reviewers cove
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
Yolanda, Matriarch of the Horde, is frantically trying to save her people. They are oppressed and slowly dying from dehydration and starvation. When the enemy king is beheaded by his son, he offers her a truce that will bring water to her people. But first they have to uncover the truth of the war.

Wow! This book was so captivating and perfect that I couldn’t put it down. I loved this complex post-apocalypse world. It totally had Mad Max vibes but was better because of the dangerous women of the
Chels
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of The Matriarch through NetGalley and I am excited to review the book. I absolutely love the premise of the story! A society run by women, facing and surviving in impossible circumstances, and really showing women can be anything? Sign me up. I think the writing and the language were incredible and I highlighted some quotes in the book that just really stood out to me.

When speaking about men who put the Yolanda’s people, The Horde, in their positions, she says, “They
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
The writing and editing of the ARC version of the manuscript was clean, with no typos that I caught. The prose was and descriptions were excessively florid, in my opinion, which detracted from my enjoyment of the manuscript. The world building was competent. The characterization was okay, though neither hero nor heroine were vibrant, complex individuals. The development of the romantic relationship was natural and organic, though the hero was too perfect a man for my taste. He had no flaws. The ...more
Amanda
A beautifully written dystopian romance that’s extremely light on the romance thankfully. I was initially intrigued by the description of the dystopian world and the feminist based society at the centre of it. I should’ve read it a bit closer as I missed the romance part. Disclaimer: I hate romance novels. This one focuses more on world building and actual storylines, so the romance was tolerable if a bit laughable at times. I mean, who thinks about jumping someone’s bones when they’re potential ...more
Brittney
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was actually shocked by how much I enjoyed this book. The unique and unpredictable story and engaging characters made The Matriarch something I would consider to be near perfection in terms of narrative prowess. Despite some of the difficult imagery I could not out it down.
My favorite aspect of the book was the near constant internal conflict of Yolanda attempting to figure out her own identity outside of the traditional beliefs of her people, and the horrors committed by her mother. Separatin
Erika
Oct 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved the world building and the characters, this is a great dystopian adventure/romance, well dystopian in that we hope doesn’t happen but feels all too possible.

That being said I had severe issues with pacing of the story. It’s interesting and the character build is on point for the reader to “feel” as the character feels throughout the book. However I thought it was a bit too slow at times. I soldiered on because I wanted to know what would happen, but almost skimmed at times.

It’s a slow b
Alyce Caswell
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Yolanda is the Matriarch of the Horde, struggling alongside her people as they are denied water and sustenance. They are on the brink of annihilation when a disastrous battle sees Yolanda in charge of the fate of the new king of a rival nation. She could destroy him. Or she could save the Horde - if only she could allow herself to trust him.

A sexy, post-apocalyptic tale with a heroine who isn't reduced to the stereotypical "warr
zhane
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
2/5 stars!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This book has an intriguing premise and I liked the overall idea a lot. However, the execution and the writing style feels off to me. There are too many metaphors and flowery words used that it sounded overdramatic in my head and made me cringe a little. I kept noticing these nuances and thus, makes my overall reading enjoyment not great. In this instance
Margarida (mbooksbycandlelight)
This was a pretty simple story. Even though it was about two warring nations and had pretty high stakes it focused mostly on the main couple. There was very little world building. It mixed some random modern things with a more primitive setting and there was very little explanation for what was chosen out of each category. I didn’t love the chapters, because they were too short. Usually I prefer lengthy chapters with more complex writing, specially in a Fantasy. Overall, this was a fun quick rea ...more
Angela
Oct 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Matriarch is my first story by Annabelle McInnis. I enjoy a good dystopian tale where the challenge to survive means more than just the physical. In a nation where woman rule, change is difficult to imagine, especially when it goes against family and leadership beliefs. Yolanda is a tough and intelligent character who’s motives are not always straight-forward, but has her people’s welfare at heart.
Aimee
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting a little more of a post-apocolyptic sort of gritty scene and this was definitely that, but also really romantic. I really enjoyed it! I hope there's more, I'd love to find out more details about the world. I would definitely recommend this to friends.

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley in return for a fair review.

CW/TW: war, famine, mutilation, child abuse, gore, some explicit romantic scenes.
Lynne Davison
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This was well written and had an intriguing storyline and I recommend it if you like dystopian storylines.

Destiny Brown
Readwithethel
is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2020

• Cat's Got Your Heart
  • Ice Planet Barbarians (Ice Planet Barbarians, #1)
  • Sex and Vanity
  • Barbarian's Redemption (Ice Planet Barbarians, #12)
  • When She Was Good (Cyrus Haven, #2)
  • Barbarian's Choice (Ice Planet Barbarians, #11)
  • Xavier (Vampires in America, #14)
  • My Therapist Says: Advice You Should Probably (Not) Follow
  • Instagram Poetry for Every Day
  • Clean Treats for Everyone: Healthy Desserts and Snacks Made with Simple, Real Food Ingredients
  • Wooing Wynter: Zolon Warriors 5 (Magic, New Mexico Book 53)
  • The Everything Plant-Based Meal Prep Cookbook: 200 Easy, Make-Ahead Recipes Featuring Plant-Based Ingredients
  • Try As I Smite (Brimstone Inc., #4)
  • Dog-eared: Poems About Humanity's Best Friend
  • Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 6
  • Revealed: A Romance Anthology
  • Down World
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
From the age of sixteen, Annabelle lived in a homeless youth refuge while she remained committed to her education. She spent two years within a section of society that most overlook.

Her experiences are the foundations that drive her stories and her characters. They fight for their freedoms, have courage in the face of adversity and always aspire for greatness.

Annabelle is the author of True Refuge