Start by marking “Her Sister's Child” as Want to Read:
Her Sister's Child

Her Sister's Child

Sixteen years ago, Lizzie Armitage woke to find her newborn baby gone. Just days later, Lizzie was dead.

Her sister Paula swore she would do everything she c
Published November 26th 2020 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Her Sister's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Sister's Child

Start your review of Her Sister's Child
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She rolls over and reaches out into the space where she was placed. Reaches for her instinctively: her baby.

Her hand hits air, and flaps redundantly.

She sits up in bed and looks around her, head jerking wildly in first one direction, then the other. Perhaps someone lifted the baby off the bed and put her in the moses basket. She squints over at the corner of the room, but where the moses basket sat before, there's just a patch of grimy carpet.

ABOUT 'HER SISTER'S CHILD': She rolls ove
MarvelUsReads
Years after her sister's death, Paula sets out to find answers behind her sister's missing child. What she discovers are secrets and a mind twisting discovery. Her Sister's Child has a very intriguing concept, however at times we found it difficult to follow, with the multiple moving parts, POVs, and timelines. Though the villain was anticipated, readers are given a glimpse to how the individual unravelled. With a climax that concluded quickly, it left us feeling slightly incomplete.

Many thanks
Carrie
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon.
Monnie
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever but complicated. The second conclusion - which happened because of the sheer number of characters, multiple identities and ever-changing time frames - almost caused me to pack it in. But the first one started to kick in somewhere around the halfway point - and from then on, I was glued to my Kindle till the very last page.

Paula Donnelly regularly visits the grave of her older sister, an alcoholic who died when she was 24 (at the time of Paula's current visit, Lizzie would have been 40). T
Lou
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Sister's Child is the latest, terrifying psychological thriller from Ms James, which centres around the worst nightmare any parent or family could live through. It's been sixteen years now since Paula Armitage's older sister Lizzie, an alcoholic who at the time was pregnant, asks Paula not to tell anyone else that she has a bun in the oven. Paula last saw Lizzie when she was going through labour and has seen hide nor hair of her or the baby since and is starting to become worried. A couple o ...more
Michelle
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been a fan of Alison James. I have read her books from the start and her latest offering doesn’t disappoint.
Lizzie Armitage is pregnant and is also an alcoholic and a drug user. Her family has all but given up on her except for her sister Paula. So, when Lizzie is found dead and her baby is gone. Paula contacts the police, but the police do not think much of Paula’s cries.
16 Years later when Paula is grown and has a family of her own. There is a body of a baby is found and Paula k
Andrea Pole
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Her Sister's Child by Alison James is a fast-paced, gripping read that had me hooked from the very start, and I devoured it in a single afternoon.

Told from multiple perspectives, and over varying timelines, this is a cleverly constructed narrative that will have you frantically trying to make frustratingly elusive connections. Lizzie is an addict and asks her sister to help keep her pregnancy a secret, even from her own family. Tom and Marian are desperate for a child of their own, but learn th
Jen
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting concept and the book itself is a quick read, but there were some questions left unanswered. The basis of the story is that alcoholic Lizzie may or may not have had a baby before she tragically passed away. The book alternates between the POVs of Lizzie's sister, Paula, teenager Charlie, and social worker, Marian, and bounces back and forth between 16 years ago and current time.

I liked the different voices and the fact that the chapters alternated between them, but the tim
Emma Shaw
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"But the baby is gone. Someone has taken her."

Her Sister's Child is a domestic thriller told from the point of view of three women - Paula, Charlie and Marian. Moving between timelines, it tells the story of a tragic death and the search to find out the truth about a baby who went missing sixteen years ago.

A quick and easy read, I flew through this book in just a few hours. Though there were some issues with the novel - it felt a little predictable and confusing at times as it shifted between c
Brenda Feinen
Charlotte dates the bad boy of her high school- and ends up pregnant. At the clinic, Charlotte decides she is keeping her baby.
Paula has struggled for almost 20 years to move past her sister, Lizzie's death. Paula remembers Lizzie was pregnant- but no one foundna baby in her apartment.
Marian is Lizzie's social worker - she has dreamed of being a mother. Her husband, Tom, seems to be drifting away.
This story sucked me in. Was Lizzie pregnant? What happened to her baby?
Great character developm
Krystyna Burnett
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for letting me read this book early in exchange for an honest review. I felt like this book really held my attention in the beginning but as the story went on, I lost interest. This book had such a creative theme and it’s obvious that the author put a lot of time and effort into writing this. However, I found the book to be mostly predictable. I will say that there was one twist that I did not see coming.
Shalini
She had it. Someone else wanted it and took it. Then couldn’t cope up with it and gave it away. But suddenly wanted it back. The ‘it’ I spoke of wasn’t a thing but a baby who was passed around according to the whims of the ladies. My Sister’s Child by Alison James had pathos along with mystery for the child which was lost to both women.

Lizzie Armitage, an alcoholic, gave birth and the child disappeared. Her sister Paula was the only one who knew about her pregnancy. But with Lizzie’s death, nobo
Teresa Nikolic
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it

The story opens with Lizzie waking up to find that her new baby has gone, just a few days later Lizzie Armitage is found dead in her flat, but what became of her baby? Her younger sister Paula vows to do everything she can to find out, she feels guilty for keeping her sister's pre
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychological thriller fans
Recommended to Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog by: Bookouture
Shelves: 2020
Alison James has put together a tale that is intense, suspenseful and one that will keep you on the edge of your seat as you try and piece together the puzzle of the mystery. It invokes a range of emotions within you and added to that some twist and turns, makes for a very entertaining read. The writing is strong, the narrative sharp and overall has been well executed.

I enjoyed the way the book is structured and how it plays out from multiple points of view over different time periods. Each char
Vanessa Menezes
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Her sister Paula swore she would do everything she could to find the child. If she hadn’t promised to keep Lizzie's pregnancy secret, maybe the baby wouldn’t have disappeared. And maybe Lizzie would still be alive. But Paula never found any trace.

Sixteen years later, when Paula bumps into an old friend from the past, she realises she wasn’t the only one who knew about her sister’s child. Someone knows what happe
Julie Lacey
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gripping family drama.
The story is told from three different perspectives - Paula, Charlie and Marian and they all play a very important part in how this story unravels. The book is also split into three parts - present, past and then back to the present.
Lizzie was found dead but there was no sign of a baby, so Paula is determined to find the child, as she knows they exist. As Paula is only 17 years old, the police don’t take too much notice of her so she eventually gives up. Years l
Louise Wilson
Sixteen year old Lizzie Armitage woke to find her newborn baby was gone. Just days later, Lizzie was dead. Her sister Paula swore she would do everything to find the child. If she hadn't sworn to keep Lizzie's pregnancy a secret, maybe the baby wouldn't have disappeared. But in nearly a decade, Paula has never found any trace. Until now......

Some parts of this story were predictable, other parts I didn't see coming. I found it's pace to be slow until the third part started. Theres also a but I f
Amanda
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omg gripping read a page turner a fast past book but it easy to read I loved how the story build up one or two twists and turns a gripping book good strong character well written novel I recommend to you all
Cinta
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for letting me read this book prior to its publication. My opinion is 100% honest, unbiased, and my own.

The premise for this novel was quite interesting, and that’s why I was interested in reading this novel. Other books I have read where some sort of baby kidnapping or disappearance was involved have been quite good, so I really wanted to read this one too.

I liked reading the story from different points of view, but by the blurb I thought that Paula would be t
Stina
I am excited to be taking part in the #BooksOnTour #BlogTour for Alison James fantastic twisted thriller HER SISTER'S CHILD.

"She rolls over and reaches for her instinctively: her baby. Her hand hits air and flaps redundantly. She stumbles out of bed and switches on the light. But this only confirms it. The baby is gone. Someone has taken her."

The story opens with a woman, which we soon discover is Lizzie Armitage, waking from another drunken stupor to find that her newborn baby is gone. And
Christine
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book’s prologue describes a mother waking up and realizing her newborn baby is missing. Then the first chapter begins with Paula Donnelly visiting her sister Lizzie’s grave before returning home to her two children. Paula has always wondered if LIzzie had a baby before she died and if so where that child is now. Paula starts a search with the help from an old school friend of Lizzie’s, the handsome Johnny Shepherd. Other parts of the book are told from the point of view of Charlie who is a t ...more
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
First, I would like to thank Alison James, Bookouture, and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

You must put Alison James, Her Sister’s Child on your TBR Must Read list. I have read 204 books in 2020 and Alison’s book is definitely in my top 5 list. Alison picks an incredible unique (oh some are very unique) cast of characters for her fascinating storylines. Each storyline is incredibly powerful, intense, and has a life lesson thrown into it. Alison has incre
Soukaina Oujdad
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lizzy Armitage was alienated from her family because of her alcohol abuse. Paula her teenage sister was the only one to have kept contact with her and was constantly paying her visits, especially after she found out that she was hiding her pregnancy. A few days after delivering, Lizzy was found dead in her apartment, without any trace of her baby.
Paula did all she could to find out what happened to her sister. Between her mother, the police and Marian the social worker who was signed to lizzy's
Bridget
I am so pleased that I was given the opportunity to read Her Sister's Child as it was a truly tremendous psychological thriller!

I loved the exciting plotline and the pacing moved along at a fair rate of knots. Full of thrills and totally addictive, it held my attention from the very first chapter, but I could never have imagined what the explosive ending would reveal. I thought the characterisation really befitted this story, with relatable and believable characters including both the good a
Soph
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-arc
This book was suspenseful, gripping, mysterious and had some great twists.

My Sisters Child is told from 3 different POV’s (my favourite thing): Paula Charlie and Marian and they all play a very important part in how this story unravels. The book is also split into 3 different parts, skipping from present, past and back to present which I thought allowed me to connect the characters a lot more as it gave me the information I needed to understand their past lives.

Paula is so devoted to her late
Melanie’s reads
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is one cleverly constructed book, told from the perspectives of Paula, Charlie a teenage student and Marian a social worker. It starts with a mother waking up to find her baby is missing and then we are with Paula as she visits her sister’s grave before going home to her own family. Paula’s estranged sister Lizzie had been an addict and alcoholic and she had sworn her sister to secrecy over her pregnancy after Paula realised the truth.

Sixteen years ago Lizzie was found dead but the
Joe Singleton
The blurb for this book promised 'a heart-stopping psychological thriller with an incredible twist' but sadly it did not deliver for me. The idea behind the story is really good but I felt that there were too many characters and also the constant time shift got to be confusing.
The idea behind the story kept me reading as I felt that there was a lot to discover and it certainly got me thinking about certain subjects but I also felt that some of the events that occurred seemed artificial (a lack
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her Sister’s Child by Alison James

Lizzie Armatage has a problem. A couple of problems actually. She is an addict and she is pregnant. Her sister Paula swears she will keep her pregnancy a secret. Paula is really the only one who continually checks on Lizzie to make sure she is ok. Then we meet Charlotte who also gets pregnant by the bad boy at school as well as Marian who is Lizzie’s social worker who really wants to have a baby with her husband. The book progresses pretty slow at this point unt
Rachel
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told in multiple perspectives Her Sister’s Child is page-turner that will grip you from the very beginning and keep you gripped to the very end.
Lizzie Armitage is Paula’s older sister, unfortunately, is an addict and pregnant, she asks Paula not to tell anyone and Paula last saw her when she was in labour. A few days later Lizzie is dead and there is no sign of a baby. Paula tries to convince her mother there was a baby but because she was a young teen at the time no one believed her.
16 years la

• Sleepless
  • The One Before
  • Love in Lockdown
  • Five Little Words
I was born in the Cotswolds but spent most of my formative years abroad. I studied languages at Oxford, then became a journalist and author, returning to university after my two children to take a law degree. After a three-year stint as a criminal paralegal, I worked as a commercial copywriter and then a TV storyliner, before coming full circle to write fiction again.