Start by marking “Of Magpies and Men” as Want to Read:
Of Magpies and Men

Of Magpies and Men

Can any good come of longings that a person can never satisfy? If so, good for whom?

Two corpses wash ashore in a picturesque Italian village, the violence that put them there is bound to a long held secret and two strangers living worlds apart with seemingly nothing in common.

Benedict Grant a high achiever, wealthy Londoner, leading a lonely life.

Marie Boulanger a nurse
Expected publication: February 2nd 2021

To ask other readers questions about Of Magpies and Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Magpies and Men

Start your review of Of Magpies and Men
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Many thanks to the author for a copy of this book. All opinions are expressed voluntarily.

First and foremost, I am so grateful to the author Ode Ray for having given me a chance to read such a wonderful work. I have always known there are some outstanding gems hidden among all the millions of books being published that for multitude of reasons may not catch the public eye but they are undoubtedly the best out there. Of Magpies and Men is one of those ‘diamond of the first water’.

From the prolog
Prerna A
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Initially, the book follows three independent stories at different places in the world and one thinks, "Seems interesting, but how is this all linked together?" However, the author answers your questions as you progress in the story and beautifully links the stories together.

The story is filled with amazing twists and turns. At any point, you think you know the story and where it is leading, but the author totally proves you wrong and does a great job at twisting the story.

I loved the way one
Candy Watts
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I loved reading this book, especially taking me through the areas and environments of the characters and giving the opportunity to get to know the characters before you're blasted into their lives and how the twists and turns lead them in many directions. There are twists that I didn't see coming but for me the overriding positive was the authenticity of the characters. I like the fact it covers topics that need exploring and I loved the fact that the characters were true to life - warts and all
Aashi_Reads
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
“When it came to his family, his wants would always come after their needs.”

The book starts off with a couple on vacation in Italy being questioned on two dead bodies found close to where they were staying.

The story then runs to Benedict, a rich extravagante banker who is eager to hide his sexual orientation. On the other hand, there’s Marie Boulanger, a nurse trying to tie her life together while struggling financially and bringing up a son.

Although the events and characters initially seem unc
Georgia Bower
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is a wonderfully descriptive book with insightful, amusing social commentary from the very start, as Ode Ray describes a couple of frivolous holidaymakers. The man battles with his newspaper whilst trying to ask his wife a trivial question about whether Italian or French men are sexier, but she cannot hear him. This prologue acts as a fantastic juxtaposition to the discovery of the murder, showing how Ray skilfully balances the light with the dark throughout this novel, so as not to make it t ...more
Claire Richmond
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘Two bodies wash ashore in a picturesque Italian village, the violence that put them there is bound to a long held secret.....’ Oh my goodness this book was so good! I read it in day. Firstly, a huge thank you to the author for sending me an ARC to read. It did not disappoint.

The story follows the lives of three strangers living a world apart, seemingly with nothing in common. The story jumps between their individual stories and also back and forth in time. How are they all connected to the murd
Sync With Ink
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First of all, a mighty big thank you to the author Ode Ray for providing me with the ARC of this wonderful novel. Of Magpies And Men releases on 02/02/2021 and I strongly recommend you to go get a copy!

Review:
Benedict Grant is a frontrunner who lives a posh life in London.

Marie Boulanger is a nurse who is raising a son while struggling financially.

With absolutely nothing in common with each other, fate pulls Benedict and Marie together. Tough decisions, family problems and complicated events cre
Emily
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, thank you so much to the author, Ode Ray, for giving me an advanced copy of this book to read, I loved it.
This book was gripping from the outset and full of humour between witnesses and the police and gives a great insight into what will happen in the book, as it gets right into it by discovering the bodies.
It goes on to jump between locations, perspective and time of where the characters are, and slowly draws each of them together, in other books jumping from different places can bec
Rich Voisin
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I genuinely loved reading this book . From page one the characterisation pulls you in and you can't help but care about and wish well for each of the individuals.

The plot has twist upon twist which I guarantee will keep you hooked right until the very end .

A wonderful book and highly recommended.

Thank you Ode Ray for allowing me a preview .
Paloma Estudillo
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to the author for the advanced copy. Really enjoyed this book. The skipping between different places and timelines was smoothly done. I loved the characters, specially Benedict. All the stories connected easily and they all made sense in the end. Oh yeah, the end was my favorite after all the heartache and loss that the characters experienced.
Rayan Korok
Thank you Ode Ray for giving me the opportunity to read such a book, 🙆‍♀️😍
Haven't finished it yet and I'm already in love
Will write a whole review when I'm all done
Laura Jackson
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Ode!

I had to give myself a full 24 hours before writing my review because I wouldn’t be able to write a coherent sentence. This book is fantastic! The twist and turns this book took me through was exhilarating and I almost wish I could go back and read it again for the first time to experience that rush!

The characters are so well rounded and you form such a bond with them. There are times where I felt myself either tear up, squ
Isla Lew
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ode Ray’s debut novel begins with an amusing dawdling act at a crime scene that set the tone of this book full of clever little twists and a big emotional one at the end, very nicely. I felt instantly connected with each storyline and loved how the lives of all these contrasting main characters merged into one closely knit plot. The author writes in such a way that I felt I was experiencing the same emotions, the same highs and lows, the same yearnings as the characters. My heart ached for them ...more
N.L. McFarlane
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful to have been given this ARC to review from the author. The plot was mind blowing, one moment you are confident you know what's going to happen, the next you sit back down in your place to read the actual outcome which was nothing like what you thought xD. The twists and the characters are so well thought out that they are almost there with you acting out the story as tou read it and the emotions are so evident within the pages. This was a fantastic read although that ending... I ...more
Erin
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There were many things that drew me into this book, starting from page 1. What begins as a mystery evolves into a fascinating story of love, loss, ambition, and fighting to rise above - no matter what. The characters are well developed, relatable, fun, and sometimes very humorous. There were several points when I was reading that I paused and thought to myself "Oh yes, I know someone *just* like that!". It's very cleverly written so that it was generally not possible to predict what would come n ...more
Mary D.
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent debut novel, kept me guessing to the end. Got a good feel for Marseille. Loved all the quirky little references and sayings, and the subtle humour. So, murder mystery and a family saga always a good combination. More of the same please!
Thanks to Ode Ray for this ARC.
Paul Dolsk
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The mother’s revelation alone would have deserved a 5-star. Best book I’ve read in a while. Her struggle really spoke to me. I also loved Marie, her personality shone through each page and I loved her values, parenting and otherwise. I don't want to go into details in case I give anything away but I will say I laughed (loads) and out loud, I cried, I had my heartstrings tugged more than once and I loved everything about this beautiful story. I feel truly privileged to have been given the opportu ...more
Paul DJ
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After a long spell of ‘Sahara desert’ crossing of dull stories, this book was an oasis of escapism. At first, I thought I would not like the interlocking timelines but it was so well done that I didn't mind it at all. It all came together in the end, each piece fitting into this puzzle of a story. Great read. It took me two weeks but I was never bored and never wanted to give up. In fact, I spent so much time with the characters I missed them when it finished.
Nb. I was sent a copy in exchange fo
Lili K
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Intricately woven, incredibly interesting, this story grabbed me from the first page – in building up to the mother’s secret, right to the very end. Ode Ray created such a vivid portrait of the main characters’ very different lives, I could almost feel part of it. It's set in Italy, England and France, and it's a suspenseful-mystery- literary-novel. I neglected household duties and personal interaction in order to get back to it. Fantastic read and a wonderfully talented debut author. Loved it. ...more
Kykouty
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Two lives, two countries (France and the UK), this aspect really talked to me especially since Provence is a region very dear to me. The book has a very intriguing story and deals with profound subject in a light and funny manner which is refreshing. I really enjoyed reading this very well written novel with endearing characters. I think this new author has potential and I hope to read more of her work soon.
NB: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in exchange for an hones
Skymath
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a read, I was thoroughly engrossed in this weaving tale. This was a thrilling page turner that had me instantly connected with each story line. I’d say it was a solid four stars till the spectacular climax and devastating epilogue, when it crossed over into five-star territory. This is probably the best epilogue I've ever read!

Of note, I was sent its ARC in exchange for an honest review
Marie Joe
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve read since I joined Goodreads and for what it’s worth I’m glad I did. For me, this book had it all. Fully drawn primary & secondary characters that are relatable and realistic, a good paced plot & intertwined subplots that made it difficult to put down, and a well written, satisfying conclusion, which is something I really appreciate in a book.

N.b: An early copy of this book was sent to me in exchange for my honest review.
John C
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and was fascinated by the premise of a mysterious secret and murder investigation. It didn’t disappoint. This story is full of love, difficult decision, humor, mistake and consequence with explosive ricochet across several characters' lives. A great book from this emerging author.
I was given an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Helen Wu
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has original and interesting plots. The characters are well written and their struggles are relatable. Thoroughly enjoyable.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Suzi
Josie
Oct 14, 2020
Omvivek
Sep 17, 2020

• The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • The Haunted Shore
  • The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • The Guardian Angel's Journal
  • Escape From Aurora (Frostheart #2)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Shadows
  • Abyss
  • The Land Below
  • Jurassic Park: Dead Islands
I'm an emerging author. I was born just outside of Marseille, France. Since 2007, I've been based in leafy Oxfordshire, UK with my family.

After spending most of my working life as a Marketer, educating consumers about the wonders of toilet fresheners, laundry conditioners and whiteboards, I finally decided to put pen to paper to write “stories” of a different kind. Between school pick-ups and whil

News & Interviews