Start by marking “In Other Worlds (Radix, #2)” as Want to Read:
In Other Worlds (Radix, #2)

In Other Worlds

(Radix #2)

One star-chained evening in a Manhattan bathroom, Carl Schirmer spontaneously combusts! His body transforms into light, mysteriously snatched from his banal life by an alien intelligence 130 billion years in the future. There, all spacetime is collapsing into a cosmic black hole, the Big Crunch – and a bold, cosmic destiny awaits Carl. Rebuilt from the remnants of his ligh ...more
Published February 1st 1986 by Spectra Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In Other Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Other Worlds

Kalin
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Attanasio's writing never ceases to amaze me. I keep swaying between "Wow! Breathtaking!" and "Ugh! Did he just invent another verb?".

Consider this:

At the far end of the chamber, sparks flurried, and the wall crumbled like incandescent cheese. The opening writhed with the arachnid shapes of the zotl, and spurs of crimson laserfire flicked across the chamber at them. One bright bolt scorched the ground nearby and skipped vaporing plasteel between Allin's legs. He stood firm, but his whole body gr
William Clemens
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was definitely a strange book. Peppered with scientific explanations and riddled with what feel like drug induced revelations the plot gets sidelined and feels rushed to cram everything in to a slim 200 pages.

That being said, I did really like it, Carl and Zeke, best buddies since childhood, feel like real people and gave the book a Vonnegut/Kilgore trout feel.

The second in the Radix series, but linked seemingly only by philosophical threads I did find myself wishing it had gone as broad a
Will
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
A brilliant, imaginative book. It has a great mix of action and mind-blowing ideas. My only complaint is that it's too short!
Carl Barlow
Certainly not the best of this sequence, but there is still an interesting read here - at the very least, it never goes where you expect it to. It could have done with being thicker, allowing themes and ideas to be expanded. Instead it seems rushed, especially toward the end, as if Attansio's heart really wasn't in it. Some of the description, too (and even for Attansio), borders upon -and often achieves- synesthesia, which becomes quite jarring. Enjoyable enough, but rough and, dare I say, ulti ...more
Anthony Faber
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Substandard SF. Too much fake sciencey jargon and it didn't ring true.
Tara
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pn-sci-fi-aliens
Not for me, too many holes in the theory. DNF 40%
Christopher
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, as I've slowly read the Radix tetrad, I have been blown away by the masterful work of Attanasio. This book is no different. Just read it for yourself, it's worth every moment.
Dtyler99
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second in the four volume so-called “Radix Tetralogy” by A. A. Attanasio, In Other Worlds is a fine action-adventure science fiction novel.

Attanasio, who broke onto the sfnal scene in 1981 with Radix, a Nebula-award nominated book, is a terrific writer, especially in terms of enormous ideas, boundless imagination, and terrific prose that can occasionally spill over into florid shades of the 60s counter culture. Rest assured, however, you’re in good hands.

As with any space epic, there are go
Elspeth
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I wish there was a choice between 3 and 4 for rating. I liked it but it was hard to get in deep with it. Lots of physics. That's not bad but it was much higher level physics than a layman can understand. I liked the grandiose descriptions of everything that you only get from SciFi in the 70's and 80's. I've read Radix and I like Attanasio's themes of taking a somewhat mundane almost unlikeable character and turning them into god-like men. It's hope and escapism.
Andreea Tanase
Apr 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
This is potentially one of the worst books I have ever come across. Apart from the obviously thoroughly researched scientific facts and formulas (which, by the way, to the common reader don't mean much), the book was a complete waste of time and painful to go through. Actually, it felt like the story itself was stiched togehter in a hurry as a pretext for the author to dazzle us with mathematics, physics and chemistry. Yuk!
C.B. Edgar
Interesting. Strange. Wormholes, black holes, and multidimensional beings in a multiverse. A multiverse that is linked by wormholes, black holes and extra dimensions. Alien life that is very alien, that survives on (eats) strangeness, pain, and other non-physical sources of energy. In the way that plants eat light. Or mites eat skin cells. Or the way some life feeds on the energy of hot vents in the ocean. Strange three dimensional gravity gradients.
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: tossed, ebook
Attanasio continues with his Radix series. In this one, he manages to combine an Edgar Rice Burroughs-type world with parallel Earths, and of course his own brand of "I am the universe, and it is me." I don't really mind it, but the way he (frequently) describes it has me skipping over those sections and trying to just get to the plot.
Richard Foster
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, even though I found some of the "gifts" given to the characters to be a little hard to swallow (Jiang's in particular) and will certainly be sampling more of A.A. Attanasio's work in the future.
Paul
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great sci fi. Could have been longer, language is rich and at times feels somewhat overdone. But the story is great.
Data
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In an awesome and vividly imagined (or is it?) Werld, Carl Schirmer becomes something other than human. There is not enough English to describe the concepts and scenarios in this book.
Alastair
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this ages and ages ago and it blew my mind. Just bought the series and read Radix. Now preparing to read this one again.
Clay Young
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • Limits
  • Pallas
  • Act One
  • Adventures (The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones, #1)
  • With A Little Help
  • Phthor
  • Starborne
  • The Messiah Choice
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • A Strange Disappearance
  • The Black Star Passes
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • A Tale of the Ragged Mountains
I’m a novelist and student of the imagination living in Honolulu. Fantasies, visions, hallucinations or whatever we call those irrational powers that illuminate our inner life fascinate me. I’m particularly intrigued by the creative intelligence that scripts our dreams. And I love carrying this soulful energy outside my mind, into the one form that most precisely defines who we are: story.

Radix (4 books)
  • Radix (Radix, #1)
  • Arc of the Dream (Radix, #3)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)